Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 104 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

I'd add Case Keenum to the Cousins and Smith QB wish list to move on from Tyrod but not really feeling Bridgewater or Bradford... I just don't trust them to stay healthy.

I don’t think Buffalo should waste money on Cousins or Smith.

The last free agent QB signing that wasn’t cap crushing and benefitted the new team was Brees to the Saints. And that was largely due to his misunderstood shoulder injury.

I can’t think of another QB free agent signing that wasn’t either a flat out bust or 1 year wonder.

Gotta draft your franchise QB to build a multi-year contender in the NFL.

I don’t think Buffalo should waste money on Cousins or Smith.

The last free agent QB signing that wasn’t cap crushing and benefitted the new team was Brees to the Saints. And that was largely due to his misunderstood shoulder injury.

I can’t think of another QB free agent signing that wasn’t either a flat out bust or 1 year wonder.

Gotta draft your franchise QB to build a multi-year contender in the NFL.
I truly think Cousins has the chance to be Drew Brees.

Unfortunately, I don't see the Redskins being dumb enough to let him leave Washington.

If Alex Smith is the guy then I'll at least manage to convince myself that maybe it could work but I just see him being a dud wherever he ends up. I think Harbaugh and Reid both made him look better than he is. I'd rather they just trade up in the draft and get the best QB they can and let him and Peterman battle it out in training camp.

Unfortunately, I don't see the Redskins being dumb enough to let him leave Washington.

If Alex Smith is the guy then I'll at least manage to convince myself that maybe it could work but I just see him being a dud wherever he ends up. I think Harbaugh and Reid both made him look better than he is. I'd rather they just trade up in the draft and get the best QB they can and let him and Peterman battle it out in training camp.

The Redskins are that dumb, he is gone.

The Redskins are that dumb, he is gone.
Cousins franchise number is 34.4 million.
Washington isn’t doing that and Cousins would have no Incentive to do a long term contract.
Cousins wants the tag as he would get all that money over 1 year.

Cousins will be a FA and the Redskins will have to gamble they can resign or they will be in the market.
I don’t see Cousins as a top 10 QB but is definitely good enough to win with.

Do you really think packaging together all this draft capital we have for the QBs available this year is worth it though? There's no Luck or Manning here and it's become more and more apparent as the CFB season played out. I'm firmly in the Kirk Cousins camp with the fallback being to trade for Alex Smith. We cleared cap space for a reason and can field legit talent around a high priced Kirk Cousins given all the draft picks we have and the fact we may have hit on 4 picks from last year (Milano, White, Dawkins and hopefully Zay)

Do you really think packaging together all this draft capital we have for the QBs available this year is worth it though? There's no Luck or Manning here and it's become more and more apparent as the CFB season played out. I'm firmly in the Kirk Cousins camp with the fallback being to trade for Alex Smith. We cleared cap space for a reason and can field legit talent around a high priced Kirk Cousins given all the draft picks we have and the fact we may have hit on 4 picks from last year (Milano, White, Dawkins and hopefully Zay)

I think it would be a disaster if Buffalo gave up there entire draft to get a Darnold or Rosen or even Allen. First of all as you noted there is no sure fire can't miss QB like a Luck or even a "were pretty sure he's gonna be good" like a Cam Newton or Wentz to a lesser degree. I know people are pissed that Buffalo passed on Watson and Mahomes but Mahomes played in one game against a team that had packed it in and Watson while he looked great in a small sample size is already hurt. If Jackson or Mayfield fall past the top 10 then we can look into a possible trade up but to give up a kings ransom to jump to 2 or 3 would be insane.

I'm all for spending whatever it takes to get Cousins.

But to answer your question, yes, moving up is worth the draft capital imo. I really think that's why they traded down last year. There doesn't need to be a Manning or Luck. Look at how good Deshaun Watson is already. Texans got him at 12. You've gotta take a chance.

I'm all for spending whatever it takes to get Cousins.

But to answer your question, yes, moving up is worth the draft capital imo. I really think that's why they traded down last year. There doesn't need to be a Manning or Luck. Look at how good Deshaun Watson is already. Texans got him at 12. You've gotta take a chance.
I mean, I could be intrigued by Darnold or Rosen but that probably takes what.. both our firsts and next years first? After those two, I'm not trading up for Allen, Mayfield or Jackson.

Good start to McDermott's tenure in Buffalo. I truly believe good things are in the near future for this team. Should have knocked off the Jags yesterday. Still can't believe Bortles was the leading rusher in the game.

Would love to see the Bills make a run for Bridgewater (Cousins will kill their cap). Not sold on trading up for Rosen/Darnold and doubt Jackson/Allen will be available at 21/22.

LETS GO BUFFALO

Good start to McDermott's tenure in Buffalo. I truly believe good things are in the near future for this team. Should have knocked off the Jags yesterday. Still can't believe Bortles was the leading rusher in the game.

Would love to see the Bills make a run for Bridgewater (Cousins will kill their cap). Not sold on trading up for Rosen/Darnold and doubt Jackson/Allen will be available at 21/22.

LETS GO BUFFALO

Wouldn't be so sure about Allen, rumors are Denver likes him a lot. I think most people have him gone before the top picks are complete.

Wouldn't be so sure about Allen, rumors are Denver likes him a lot. I think most people have him gone before the top picks are complete.
Exactly Allen to Denver at 5 makes a lot of sense.
Buffalo will have Jackson, Mayfield, Rudolph on the board where you select.
Or the NC State kid in the 2nd round.

Exactly Allen to Denver at 5 makes a lot of sense.
Buffalo will have Jackson, Mayfield, Rudolph on the board where you select.
Or the NC State kid in the 2nd round.

I could see Rudolph but I find it unlikely Jackson and Mayfield would both be there as well. I think Buffalo would probably have to trade up to get either of those guys.

LETS GO BUFFALO

I told myself the Bills could lose by 50 and be okay after the heroics that happened last sunday, but yesterday was actually even worse and annoyed me far more.

I told myself the Bills could lose by 50 and be okay after the heroics that happened last sunday, but yesterday was actually even worse and annoyed me far more.

Why? Pretty much how they played all season... I didn't see anything that was a surprise yesterday. It was a boring game and no fun to watch but that's the way they have played all year for the most part, going back to week 2 versus Carolina. They just have no offense other than Shady, that's it. Tyrod won't kill you but never puts team on his back either. The RPO where he elected to throw was a horrendous call on 1st and goal

Haha, I was losing it during the game but then sat back and realized that we finally made the friggin playoffs and this past week has been incredible. We finally have a legit HC and Staff, our GM looks to be fantastic and we have moneybags Pegula as an owner with a stockpile of draft picks and eventual cap space coming open. I'm really excited for the future of this team.

I could see Rudolph but I find it unlikely Jackson and Mayfield would both be there as well. I think Buffalo would probably have to trade up to get either of those guys.

Agree, always seems Qb's go quickly and teams will gamble. I could see one of the two falling but they fall for a reason a lot of the time, only takes one team. That said, I don't see either of those 3 coming in and playing from day one. If they do draft a QB they better have another QB ready to go from day one. I would rather they fire dennison and keep Tyrod than vice versa, I think Dennison is that bad

What I'd be doing if I were Beane:

- Fire Dennison
- re-sign Gaines assuming the price isn't ridiculous
- (assuming Cousins isn't an option) Draft Darnold, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, or Baker Mayfield, preferably without a trade up, but I'm fine with trading up if need be
- If the Bills are able to get Cousins, I still want a QB, but I can wait until the middle rounds; Luke Falk or Kyle Lauletta would be solid options
- Assuming no Cousins, either keep Tyrod, or sign Sam Bradford. I don't want to trade a pick in the first 3 or 4 rounds for a stopgap QB when we already have one, and I don't think any of the projected FA QBs are an upgrade over Tyrod outside of Bradford
- Move Peterman to the practice squad
- 2nd 1st round pick: someone like Roquon Smith, Vita Vea, DaRon Payne, or Malik Jefferson; basically, I want to target someone in the front 7 of the defense
- Other things to target in the draft: RB (I like Josh Adams or Ronald Jones if they target an early RB and like Martez Carter in the late rounds), WR (a deep threat like James Washington), more O-Line, more front 7, and 1 CB just in case Gaines gets hurt again

From NY Daily News. Sounds like Shady has the same feeling about some Dennison play calling.

The Buffalo Bills' long-awaited playoff appearance might not have been so short-lived had their coaching staff played the percentages and not a hunch in their 10-3 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

On first-and-goal from the Jaguars 1, coach Sean McDermott and offensive coordinator Rick Dennison elected to call a run-pass option instead of asking quarterback Tyrod Taylor to either run it in himself or hand it off to running back LeSean McCoy against one of the most vulnerable run defenses in the playoffs.

"I want a running play," McCoy said. "It was a play I was lobbying for the whole time and it didn't work out ..."

- Assuming no Cousins, either keep Tyrod, or sign Sam Bradford. I don't want to trade a pick in the first 3 or 4 rounds for a stopgap QB when we already have one, and I don't think any of the projected FA QBs are an upgrade over Tyrod outside of Bradford

I think I'd rather take a shot at Bridgewater, assuming the price is right. Go into next season with Bridgewater, Peterman, and a rookie QB.

I think I'd rather take a shot at Bridgewater, assuming the price is right. Go into next season with Bridgewater, Peterman, and a rookie QB.

All depends on what Minny does in the playoffs who they look to as their franchise QB, not so sure Vikings will let Teddy Two Gloves or Case Keenum go. Bradford is out for sure.

All depends on what Minny does in the playoffs who they look to as their franchise QB, not so sure Vikings will let Teddy Two Gloves or Case Keenum go. Bradford is out for sure.

Right, but both Keenum and Bridgewater will be unrestricted free agents after the season. Don't think either will be commanding top QB money, but it will be interesting to see how much the Vikings are willing to pony up to keep both. I could also see Bridgewater taking a little less money to go somewhere where he would be guaranteed to be the starter (not saying that is Buffalo, definitively).

Right, but both Keenum and Bridgewater will be unrestricted free agents after the season. Don't think either will be commanding top QB money, but it will be interesting to see how much the Vikings are willing to pony up to keep both. I could also see Bridgewater taking a little less money to go somewhere where he would be guaranteed to be the starter (not saying that is Buffalo, definitively).

I would want a little more evidence that Bridgewater is completely healthy before spending too much on him and relying on him to be the starter if I was running a team.