Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

Honestly he made the right call, the bills offense has been unwatchable the entire game. Its gonna take a small miracle for them to score a TD here and have Hauscka actually make the XP.

Man that was terrible imo. You figure the difference between Buffalo needing a FG & a TD is ~30 yards. Well you surrender about 23 of those yards by kicking off as opposed to a turnover on downs pinning them on the 2. Even if your chances are getting the TD are well under 50/50 which it's not, it's a clear go for it. It cost him against EJ freaking Manuel a few years ago same kind of situation up 3. Just another clueless coach in a league full of clueless coaches.

Having only listened on the radio - how much of the dreadfulness goes to; OC / QB / Rec.?

65/35 QB/OC? IDK hard to say in a vacuum. Will the OC still be ultra-conservative with a good QB? I'd like to think not but these guys don't exactly come here with the creative rep. of a Sean McVay or Kyle Shannahan. I'm giving the WRs a pass this year because that's how the team was built by choice.

Man that was terrible imo. You figure the difference between Buffalo needing a FG & a TD is ~30 yards. Well you surrender about 23 of those yards by kicking off as opposed to a turnover on downs pinning them on the 2. Even if your chances are getting the TD are well under 50/50 which it's not, it's a clear go for it. It cost him against EJ freaking Manuel a few years ago same kind of situation up 3. Just another clueless coach in a league full of clueless coaches.

Against NE, GB, KC, Atl yes your correct you go for it there but against this Buffalo team you take the FG and go up 6 forcing Buffalo to score a TD and not self implode which it hadn't been able to do all day.

Against NE, GB, KC, Atl yes your correct you go for it there but against this Buffalo team you take the FG and go up 6 forcing Buffalo to score a TD and not self implode which it hadn't been able to do all day.

I mean, their odds of winning at that point were good regardless. Point is the Bills or anyone is about equally likely to implode between their 2 & FG range as they are between their 25 & the goaline. And the former still only gets you beat less than half the time (they have to make the FG and win in OT).

Taylor just isn't a good fit for this offense (if he was for any offense)

We run the WCO. Matthews, Jones, Holmes and our TE's are big possession guys. You need a tall, accurate QB who can read the defense, see passing lanes and move the chains.

That doesn't lend itself to an inaccurate, small athlete who happens to play QB.

Not a great game for Tyrod at all, inaccurate on multiple throws. Still that last play is on Zay, catch the freeking ball.

Probably a bit of blame for both of them. I wanna see the All 22 angle of that play so badly though. I was watching on the Sunday Ticket streaming service, so I couldn't rewind when they showed all the replays. I'm curious to see if he made the throw before Zay's break to the corner. As one of the other posters mentioned, if Zay takes that route more vertical than horizontal, maybe that pass is on target. But from the side angle that I was able to see multiple times, it made it look like Tyrod just overthrew him a bit and Zay had a late reaction to the ball and wasn't able to adjust in time to make the catch.

Also, just to defend Tyrod a little bit; the O-Line was shockingly poor today. He was getting killed back there, and often just barely after he had finished completing a 3 step drop. I think it likely would have been even uglier if Peterman were the QB today. Not to say he shouldn't get his shot at some point this season; just saying that I think he would have been target practice for the Panthers defense.

I also don't think many QBs in the NFL can win when their running game gives them 14 yards on 15 carries or whatever it was yesterday and it's not as though the Bills have much of a receiving corps either. Then again, the receiving corps was even worse last year and Tyrod was able to make it work for the most part so who knows?

At any rate, Buffalo should be taking a QB early in the draft this year, assuming the QBs we expect actually declare for the draft.

Last edited:
Now that I have had time to cool off, a few thoughts:

1) Starting with the positive- fantastic performance by the defense. Six sacks of a strong, mobile QB like Newton shows the strength of the unit and the scheme. Hughes showed up in a big way- and he certainly was not alone. This was the type of d-line performance that was common under Schwartz and was MIA under the Ryan boys. Absolutely something to build on...but as usual it all is interconnected. The d-line doesn't get the pressure it got without the performance of the secondary yesterday. How good have Hyde and Poyer been as acquisitions? Also, I didn't feel like there was a lot of YAC by the Panthers, with one or two exceptions. Hard to not be optimistic about the defense- they came to play and deserved a better outcome.

2) Credit the Panthers defense- they completely bottled up McCoy and routinely were in the backfield. It will be interesting to see if other teams can replicate this formula...of course the run-run-pass approach taken really doesn't help matters. How about some misdirection? Maybe a screen pass? Running repeatedly off tackle into the teeth of the defense was a questionable approach at best. It also set us up to routinely face 2nd and long scenarios...which put stress on a passing game that can't handle much of it. It felt like the Bills were constantly behind the 8-ball on down and distance situations yesterday.

3) I feel like we are going to have this chicken-and-egg argument all year. Is Tyrod struggling because his receivers can't get open? Or is he missing throws and open angles because he can't see them? Regardless the passing game is absolutely atrocious. Major, major talent upgrades are needed in both positions. I am bullish on Jones (even though he dropped the key pass at the end- more on that last drive in a minute) but while I think he'll be a good one- I'm not sure he'll be a difference maker.

4) The last drive- a few thoughts: A) While Jones has to make that catch, you should never be in the position where you need the game winning play because you have only scored three (THREE!!) points. I don't know enough about the route to determine whether his stumble cost him, if he ran the wrong angle, or if it was a bad throw. B) The PI on Holmes was complete garbage. You could literally throw that flag on every pass play in the NFL! Arms not extended. Just a terrible call. C) McDermott should have used a timeout at the 30 yard line with 45-50 seconds to play (don't remember the exact play). I know you want to keep one in the holster...but 20-25 seconds is infinitely more valuable in that situation. Chalk that up to a rookie head coach. I'll get concerned if it becomes a pattern.

5) LOVED that the Bills went for it on 4th & 1 around midfield. HATED the play call, but that's correctable. Nice to have a head coach that is willing to roll the dice.

All in all a disappointing day, and with the Broncos coming to town this weekend we're going to learn quick whether yesterday was a pattern: great defense and a lousy offense. Let's hope the latter breaks and the former maintains.

2-2 through the first quarter would put us in a solid position if we want to be Playoff competitive most of the year. Unfortunately, yesterday was sooooo winnable and with @Atlanta in 2 weeks, home against Denver is a huge game.

I think Peterman could make a difference. This offense is built to move the chains. We have big physical receivers and you have to be decisive, read the defense, and find passing lanes. I don't know that Tyrod can do any of that, which means we need playaction to have a passing game and a clean pocket every time.

The Panthers might have the best front 7 in football and from what I've heard, they had 8 in the box all game, with the safety coming up to make 9 on run downs. Clearly that's not going to work. Dennison should've thrown more on first down. Piss poor game for both Dennison and Tyrod. The offensive line wasn't great but, again, from what I've heard, WRs were open and Taylor just wasn't seeing them causing him to hold onto the ball instead of getting to his drop and throwing it.

I get that Clay ends up being open, but he's hit almost immediately once he completes his drop back. He's literally sacked in under 2 seconds on this play.
He had time to get to Clay (IMO). Most QBs don't have clean pockets/tons of time and it's the split second decisions and vision, quick ability to read through progressions that seperate them.

He had time to get to Clay (IMO). Most QBs don't have clean pockets/tons of time and it's the split second decisions and vision, quick ability to read through progressions that seperate them.

He probably could have anticipated him being open a little better because the one linebacker (I think it was Kuechly there) turned his hips to double the slot WR early enough that Tyrod probably could have made the throw, but everything is so predicated on timing most of the time in the NFL. You're expected to be able to complete your dropback and then get the ball out quickly. He was sacked immediately, and I'm guessing he probably wanted to give Clay another step or 2 before throwing it to give him more space to run after the catch. Perhaps part of the blame can be on Tyrod for not realizing how awful his LT was on that play but I don't know. I'm sure there are much better examples of Tyrod missing guys than this one and that one where he had O'Leary open but was busy running for his life and would have had to throw it across his body and across the field to get it to him. Tyrod misses guys a lot, but the three plays people seem to be harping on him for so far are plays that I don't REALLY blame him.

So close but yet so far away.

I love seeing the Bills not taking all sorts of dumb penalties like they did under Marrone and then Rexy. I'll credit this to the coach and instilling discipline. He must have threatened Hughes to keep him from taking all those dumb personal fouls.

Loved the defensive performance yesterday, especially Hughes and Poyer (what a great addition).

Not going to rehash everything here but I really think Dennison handcuffed the Bills yesterday with very conservative play calling. Need to take a couple shots down field to keep a very good Panthers D honest.

Not sure why people are calling for Peterman. Tyrod wasn't great by any means but Peterman isn't winning that game either. I was at the game and Bills wr's were not getting much separation and Taylor's pocket was collapsing quite fast (as was Cam's pocket).

This year will be a struggle but I believe Coach is laying the foundation for future and sustained success.

2-2 through the first quarter would put us in a solid position if we want to be Playoff competitive most of the year. Unfortunately, yesterday was sooooo winnable and with @Atlanta in 2 weeks, home against Denver is a huge game.

I think Peterman could make a difference. This offense is built to move the chains. We have big physical receivers and you have to be decisive, read the defense, and find passing lanes. I don't know that Tyrod can do any of that, which means we need playaction to have a passing game and a clean pocket every time.

The Panthers might have the best front 7 in football and from what I've heard, they had 8 in the box all game, with the safety coming up to make 9 on run downs. Clearly that's not going to work. Dennison should've thrown more on first down. Piss poor game for both Dennison and Tyrod. The offensive line wasn't great but, again, from what I've heard, WRs were open and Taylor just wasn't seeing them causing him to hold onto the ball instead of getting to his drop and throwing it.

False...the Bills wr's were not getting much separation and the pocket was collapsing real quick on Tyrod.

Bills released LB Jelani Jenkins. I liked the signing and thought he could provide good depth. Oh well, defense isn't our problem

Robert Woods looking good for the Rams, would have been nice to resign him but not at the money the rams are paying. Starting to think that Watkins trade was a smart move, Sammy is a total nonfactor for the rams right now.

Robert Woods looking good for the Rams, would have been nice to resign him but not at the money the rams are paying. Starting to think that Watkins trade was a smart move, Sammy is a total nonfactor for the rams right now.
Well he's all the way across the country and probably preoccupied about the danger of falling off the Earth.

Well he's all the way across the country and probably preoccupied about the danger of falling off the Earth.

Of course now he has nearly a 100 yard and a td after i said that.

Of course now he has nearly a 100 yard and a td after i said that.

And Sammy ended the game doing the other thing he does best - getting hurt. He's in the concussion protocol.

I feel Jordan Matthews and Zay Jones are just as good, if not better than Robert Woods. Im not up in arms by him having a 100 yard receiving game against the 49ers.

Sammy on the other hand.. Let's just say OBD could really use a win on Sunday after the horrific offensive performance against Carolina and McDermott subsequently calling out the WR's followed up by big time games for our two former pass catchers with NFLN ripping the Bills Organization on air.

However, yes, we all know Sammy has All-Pro potential but he also always seems to be injured. Concussion protocol is a new one for him but it always seems to be something.

I feel Jordan Matthews and Zay Jones are just as good, if not better than Robert Woods. Im not up in arms by him having a 100 yard receiving game against the 49ers.

Sammy on the other hand.. Let's just say OBD could really use a win on Sunday after the horrific offensive performance against Carolina and McDermott subsequently calling out the WR's followed up by big time games for our two former pass catchers with NFLN ripping the Bills Organization on air.

However, yes, we all know Sammy has All-Pro potential but he also always seems to be injured. Concussion protocol is a new one for him but it always seems to be something.

Matthews is certainly just as good in the passing game as Woods IMO. I'm not really sure about Matthews run blocking, but I know that was a huge strength of Woods.

Zay...I like the kid and he looked good in preseason, but it goes without saying that it hasn't been a great start to his career in the regular season. He could certainly get to Woods' level at some point and could be better long-term and obviously I hope that becomes the case. I still wish Buffalo had taken Cooper Kupp though (and honestly, they could have had both Zay and Kupp if they wanted to).

Matthews is certainly just as good in the passing game as Woods IMO. I'm not really sure about Matthews run blocking, but I know that was a huge strength of Woods.

Zay...I like the kid and he looked good in preseason, but it goes without saying that it hasn't been a great start to his career in the regular season. He could certainly get to Woods' level at some point and could be better long-term and obviously I hope that becomes the case. I still wish Buffalo had taken Cooper Kupp though (and honestly, they could have had both Zay and Kupp if they wanted to).
I'd agree with you. Zay is purely potential. Seeing how hard he was on himself after that last play was telling of what he expects of himself. I'm still bullish on him.

I like Cupp a lot. He looks fantastic out there in LA.

Still, it's tough to really gauge anything when Taylor will only throw it to you if you have 5 yards of seperation. You get big WRs so they can win tight battles or draw PI's.