Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

Going into next year we should have 4/5 of a very good line (Glenn/Incognito/Wood/Dawkins), McCoy, Zay, Benjamin, Clay, O'Leary and for cheap, I'd bring back Deonte Thompson as a deep threat with an actual QB. Sign or draft a cheap RB like Cadet to back up McCoy. We have Groy who can play all over the interior and Mills as a swing tackle. That offense looks fine to me with Cousins at QB. I probably wouldn't pay to bring back Matthews.

On defense, I'd bring back Gaines on what shouldn't be too bad a contract considering his injuries. Kyle may or may not retire. I'd draft LB/LB/DE/DT/CB with our 5-Top 3 Round picks and use our 5th round picks for depth players.

That means our only splash signing is Cousins and we fill the roster with cap-friendly players and draft picks.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Glenn and McCoy were gone next year honestly. I hope that isn't the case, but it's entirely possible.

To me, the needs are (in no particular order):
QB
RB (at least a 3rd down back if not a starter)
WR (assuming Matthews walks; Thompson is a fine depth/situational guy, but I'm not interested in him being our #3 WR)
Guard (could really use a pair of them; Incognito is retiring soon)
Tackle (depends on what we do with Cordy/how Dawkins looks down the stretch here)
LB
LB
LB (Buffalo is just truly terrible here; Milano might be a fine 3rd starter, but at minimum Buffalo needs 2 new starters IMO)
CB (even if Gaines is brought back, he and White are the only corners left; Buffalo needs at least one starter quality corner and 2 if Gaines isn't brought back)
DT
DT (assume Kyle is retiring and they have literally nothing at DT outside of him)
DE (the pass rush has been pathetic more often than not; if Hughes/Shaq don't show more, Buffalo will need to address this too)
plus depth: in particular, Buffalo has 2 safeties on the roster for next year, 1 corner, 2 playable linebackers, 1 DT, 1 RB, and plenty of O-Linemen but only 1 or maybe 2 backups that you'd feel comfortable giving any playing time to.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I think the Bills have more needs than probably like 25 of the other 31 NFL teams and yet they project to be league-average in terms of cap space.

The draft picks should cost roughly $8 million for their 8 or 9 picks, so including Cousins, you're looking at hopefully 7 quality players + 2 or 3 shitty depth guys with maybe $15ish million to spare to fill the other holes.

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Glenn and McCoy were gone next year honestly. I hope that isn't the case, but it's entirely possible.

To me, the needs are (in no particular order):
QB
RB (at least a 3rd down back if not a starter)
WR (assuming Matthews walks; Thompson is a fine depth/situational guy, but I'm not interested in him being our #3 WR)
Guard (could really use a pair of them; Incognito is retiring soon)
Tackle (depends on what we do with Cordy/how Dawkins looks down the stretch here)
LB
LB
LB (Buffalo is just truly terrible here; Milano might be a fine 3rd starter, but at minimum Buffalo needs 2 new starters IMO)
CB (even if Gaines is brought back, he and White are the only corners left; Buffalo needs at least one starter quality corner and 2 if Gaines isn't brought back)
DT
DT (assume Kyle is retiring and they have literally nothing at DT outside of him)
DE (the pass rush has been pathetic more often than not; if Hughes/Shaq don't show more, Buffalo will need to address this too)
plus depth: in particular, Buffalo has 2 safeties on the roster for next year, 1 corner, 2 playable linebackers, 1 DT, 1 RB, and plenty of O-Linemen but only 1 or maybe 2 backups that you'd feel comfortable giving any playing time to.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I think the Bills have more needs than probably like 25 of the other 31 NFL teams and yet they project to be league-average in terms of cap space.

The draft picks should cost roughly $8 million for their 8 or 9 picks, so including Cousins, you're looking at hopefully 7 quality players + 2 or 3 shitty depth guys with maybe $15ish million to spare to fill the other holes.
I get it but no NFL team has all their holes filled and we certainly will not be the exception.

If we have an actual QB, I believe a Top 3 WR Unit of Benjamin, Zay and Thompson is perfectly fine, especially when you add in Clay at TE. If we keep McCoy, just sign Cadet or someone similar for depth. Our Offensive Line projects to be very good but we may just have to have a hole at RG and we probably address Incognito's age in next years Draft/FA.

On defense, Milano is a starter in this defense (IMO), he's flashed a lot of potential. We have holes at DT, Rotational Pass Rusher, Linebacker(s) and DB depth. That's where I'm going with the Draft.

A legit QB with our projected line and skill players (McCoy, Benjamin, Zay, Clay) immediately makes our offense much better and we address Offense next year. This offseason, if I'm OBD, I'm all in on Cousins and a Defensive Draft.

I get it but no NFL team has all their holes filled and we certainly will not be the exception.

If we have an actual QB, I believe a Top 3 WR Unit of Benjamin, Zay and Thompson is perfectly fine, especially when you add in Clay at TE. If we keep McCoy, just sign Cadet or someone similar for depth. Our Offensive Line projects to be very good but we may just have to have a hole at RG and we probably address Incognito's age in next years Draft/FA.

On defense, Milano is a starter in this defense (IMO), he's flashed a lot of potential. We have holes at DT, Rotational Pass Rusher, Linebacker(s) and DB depth. That's where I'm going with the Draft.

A legit QB with our projected line and skill players (McCoy, Benjamin, Zay, Clay) immediately makes our offense much better and we address Offense next year. This offseason, if I'm OBD, I'm all in on Cousins and a Defensive Draft.
I’m sorry but I can’t agree on the oline... the right side of the line is one of the worst in the league... Glenn cant stay healthy and there is no depth... incognito and wood are good for threee or four drive killing penalties a game. I’d argue the biggest problem with the offense is the line can’t give Tyrod any time or open holes for McCoy.

I’m sorry but I can’t agree on the oline... the right side of the line is one of the worst in the league... Glenn cant stay healthy and there is no depth... incognito and wood are good for threee or four drive killing penalties a game. I’d argue the biggest problem with the offense is the line can’t give Tyrod any time or open holes for McCoy.

How much of that is scheme, though? We led the league in rushing last year and now we can't open holes anywhere?

Never seen NFL tickets that cheap before!

Thought about going but then realized the most enjoyment I would get out of that $4 would be watching drunk moron Bills fans embarrassing themselves in public yet again. I'd rather spend that $4 on a cheap beer than sit in the freezing cold watching another 7-9 Bills team.

How much of that is scheme, though? We led the league in rushing last year and now we can't open holes anywhere?

Hard to say. Could be scheme but it could also be the fact that:
1. Glenn hasn't been healthy this year
2. Incognito is now 34 years old
3. Eric Wood is now 31/maybe he just isn't all that good

I also think McCoy just isn't the same guy he was last year. He looks like he's lost at least a step and isn't as consistently elusive as he used to be.

Certainly scheme has played a role in it, but it's definitely possible that guys are declining on top of playing in a new/worse scheme.

Buffalo Bills 2018 Salary Cap

If their math is correct, it looks like Buffalo is currently pegged to have $32 million in cap space this offseason to fill roughly 20 roster spots. I think that number rises to roughly $46 million if Tyrod's release (assuming he's released) is timed correctly. You figure Cousins will probably cost roughly $25 million and that leaves precious little money to fill out nearly 1/3 of your roster (much of which you need to find starters for).

I don't know; having a guy that you know will be a pretty good traditional QB would obviously be a huge blessing, but it won't be easy to put a team around him either.

That's why it's optimal to draft your starting QB (I know easier said than done) because u don't have to pay him the big bucks for a few years and therefore u can build around him til that day comes when u have to pony up the $$$.

Of course, the one team on our schedule that we should destroy, we end up being sabotaged into a toss up game due to our own home field conditions.

Of course, the one team on our schedule that we should destroy, we end up being sabotaged into a toss up game due to our own home field conditions.

Holy crap - just saw it on Red Zone. That's a freaking blizzard - not a few flurries.

Touchdown! That might just hold up.

Antonio Morrison.. Dirty hit. This team needs to make a statement and go eye for an eye since the officials don't seem to mind.

Was it bad?
Technically Peterman dove head first so he gave up his protections but it was, without a doubt, a targeted hit. Morrison lined him up and launched helmet to helmet.

This league can go **** themselves with their selective caring about concussions.

Tom Savage legit had a seizure on the field from a concussion, goes back in, plays, then gets ruled out.

Good looks today NFL