Buffalo Bills 2019 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2019

Smoke building on this Clowney to Buffalo thing...

Bills held Ty Nsekhe out of practice today for no apparent reason.

Not sure a trade makes sense for Buffalo, would cost a lot and its essentially a one year rental if we can't re-sign him.

Not sure a trade makes sense for Buffalo, would cost a lot and its essentially a one year rental if we can't re-sign him.
You'd have to sign him multi-year.

You'd have to sign him multi-year.

Can only be done after the season now I believe so its a big potential risk for whoever trades for him.

Can only be done after the season now I believe so its a big potential risk for whoever trades for him.
Couldn't Houston sign and trade?

Clowney just doesn't seem like he's worth what the total cost would be. He's already had a microfracture surgery and isn't a game wrecker. Giving up at least a 2nd(since they would like be entitled to a comp 3rd) along with $20m/year is just not a great use of resources. He's 1 tier below those elite guys that are worth any cost.

On the other hand, you can look at all of our anticipated cap space for 2020 and say F it and now that dudes like Trey Flowers and Trent Brown are getting around $18m a year in FA, then maybe it isn't that bad of an idea.

Clowney just doesn't seem like he's worth what the total cost would be. He's already had a microfracture surgery and isn't a game wrecker. Giving up at least a 2nd(since they would like be entitled to a comp 3rd) along with $20m/year is just not a great use of resources. He's 1 tier below those elite guys that are worth any cost.

On the other hand, you can look at all of our anticipated cap space for 2020 and say F it and now that dudes like Trey Flowers and Trent Brown are getting around $18m a year in FA, then maybe it isn't that bad of an idea.

Yep, I agree with all of that. Think there's a decent chance that Clowney's next contract looks like a slight underpay a few years into the deal as all the other young pass rushers one-up him, but to this point, he hasn't been an elite pass-rusher. And I DEFINITELY have no interest in giving up a first round pick for him like many have speculated.

Singletary showing pass catching is part of his arsenal with the quickness.

Loved what I saw last night. Very Pats-like. Quick rhythm passes to the slot, tight end and running backs.

The talent level of the entire roster is so noticeably better this year. There are going to be a bunch of really good football players cut.

Im super excited from what Ive seen so far. Just need to get through these next 2 weeks healthy.

The talent level of the entire roster is so noticeably better this year. There are going to be a bunch of really good football players cut.

Im super excited from what Ive seen so far. Just need to get through these next 2 weeks healthy.
How are you going to cut guys like Duke Williams or McKenzie? Is Zay in any danger? Who gets cut when the TEs are healthy? What about rugby guy? Talent level among the two deep is definitely better than it has been.

How are you going to cut guys like Duke Williams or McKenzie? Is Zay in any danger? Who gets cut when the TEs are healthy? What about rugby guy? Talent level among the two deep is definitely better than it has been.
I think Wade makes it to the PS. He still has to learn the game.. I can’t imagine someone would sign him to their 53, having no idea if he can pass block, follow blockers etc..

TE’s are set with Kroft, Knox and Smith. Do we keep both or decide between Sweeney or Croom? I doubt Sweeney makes it to the PS.

WR’s... I think Brown, Beasley, Zay, Foster and Roberts are set. I have to imagine we go at least 6, so do we keep McKenzie or Duke? Any chance we go 7... Duke was coveted by a lot of teams before signing with us and has flashed in games. He has a skill set that isn’t present on this team. I’d probably keep 7 tbh.

RB, I think is Shady, Gore, Singletary and DiMarco. If we add a 5th to this group, I’d go with Yeldon. I just like his pass catching fluidity even though he runs freakishly upright. Murphy looks like the best pure runner of the fringe, and Perry is supposedly great on Special Teams. Tough call.

DE4 - I think we go with 5 DE’s and Love/Johnson both make the team. Johnson won’t make PS and looks like he has an incredibly high ceiling.

LB is another fight. Edmunds, Milano, Lorax, Thompson are set, IMO. Stanford probably set. Mo Alexander, Deon Lacey, Vosean Joseph?

I think Wade makes it to the PS. He still has to learn the game.. I can’t imagine someone would sign him to their 53, having no idea if he can pass block, follow blockers etc..

TE’s are set with Kroft, Knox and Smith. Do we keep both or decide between Sweeney or Croom? I doubt Sweeney makes it to the PS.

WR’s... I think Brown, Beasley, Zay, Foster and Roberts are set. I have to imagine we go at least 6, so do we keep McKenzie or Duke? Any chance we go 7... Duke was coveted by a lot of teams before signing with us and has flashed in games. He has a skill set that isn’t present on this team. I’d probably keep 7 tbh.

RB, I think is Shady, Gore, Singletary and DiMarco. If we add a 5th to this group, I’d go with Yeldon. I just like his pass catching fluidity even though he runs freakishly upright. Murphy looks like the best pure runner of the fringe, and Perry is supposedly great on Special Teams. Tough call.

DE4 - I think we go with 5 DE’s and Love/Johnson both make the team. Johnson won’t make PS and looks like he has an incredibly high ceiling.

LB is another fight. Edmunds, Milano, Lorax, Thompson are set, IMO. Stanford probably set. Mo Alexander, Deon Lacey, Vosean Joseph?

Agree on Wade. From what I understand, he wouldn't count against the PS limit, as he's an international player.

RB is a tough read - despite the rumors of Shady being cut, I think he makes the 53, and as you said, it boils down to Yeldon or Perry for the 5th spot.

WR is an even tougher call. Do they try to find a taker for Zay? If not, then (assuming 6 are kept), it's between Duke and McKenzie for the last spot. McCloud is said to have practiced really well this summer, but I haven't seen it translate to game action.

TE: I think that Sweeney is a near lock, and that Kroft will start the season on PUP. When he's healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith waived. I don't think that Croom makes it.

LB: I think Lacey makes it, as he's solid on STs. Would Joseph make it to the PS.

The kicking game scares the crap out of me. Both punters look bad, and Hauschka isn't inspiring much confidence right now. Carolina's backup Kicker looked pretty solid...

Wonder if they've given any run to Wade on specials. See ball. Kill ball.

Agree on Wade. From what I understand, he wouldn't count against the PS limit, as he's an international player.

RB is a tough read - despite the rumors of Shady being cut, I think he makes the 53, and as you said, it boils down to Yeldon or Perry for the 5th spot.

WR is an even tougher call. Do they try to find a taker for Zay? If not, then (assuming 6 are kept), it's between Duke and McKenzie for the last spot. McCloud is said to have practiced really well this summer, but I haven't seen it translate to game action.

TE: I think that Sweeney is a near lock, and that Kroft will start the season on PUP. When he's healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith waived. I don't think that Croom makes it.

LB: I think Lacey makes it, as he's solid on STs. Would Joseph make it to the PS.

The kicking game scares the crap out of me. Both punters look bad, and Hauschka isn't inspiring much confidence right now. Carolina's backup Kicker looked pretty solid...
Agree completely on the punters. Haushka, I’m hoping gets it together, but the punters are atrocious.

Lacey was phenomenal in the Panthers game. Helped himself a lot. Joseph does make it to the PS, I think. Similar to Corey Thompson last year, he’s really raw and needs a lot of coaching. Not exactly the type of guy teams look to scoop for their 53. He is talented though... I’d probably take the risk it trying to get him to the PS.

Zay is the guy fans always bring up as a trade or cut, but he’s been much improved by all reports in camp. I know he dropped that goal line pass, but he did get open 4x on that one drive, and made two other catches. It’s too bad we couldn’t package Zay & Foster for a #1, as we don’t have a #1, but are 5 deep with #2/3 types.

I like Croom’s athleticism, but Kroft is pretty good when healthy, Knox has elite measurables for a TE and Sweeney has just performed... Smith has the contract and seems to be a huge locker room presence.

Also, we may be on the lookout for a swing tackle if one comes free. I think Ford goes back to RG when Nsehke comes back at RT. We have a lot of interior depth but Waddle going down hurt our OT depth, especially since Ford looks like he could be an above average G, but struggle at T this year.

I think you have to keep McKenzie at this point. He’s your jet sweep guy, he’s your back up return guy and he’s shown too much competence in general WR duties to be cut.

Duke had an eye opening game against Carolina. Can we afford to keep 7? I guess it all depends on what he can offer on Specials vs the other guys on the bubble. But as has been said he offers a high-point-jump-ball skill set that no one else offers.

Wade will be on PS. From what I understand he cannot be picked up by anyone else if we choose to PS him. We just can’t pull him up to the 53 if we choose to assign him to the PS to start the season. Edit: I think I’m wrong about him being protected from waivers - he could be signed by another team.

I’m to the point now where if we keep a 4th RB then I want it to be Murphy. He’s better than Yeldon in my mind. The only way they keep Perry is if they think that he is a significantly better gunner than they can find elsewhere on the roster.

I deleted the DVR of the Carolina game (like a dope) but I still had the Indy game. I went back and checked to see who the gunners were. The first set was Neal and Kevin Johnson. The second set was Perry and Pitts. Third set was Rice and Lewis. Gunner requires the most unique skill set on specials from any other spot - you absolutely have to have guys that can get the job done here. Neal and Johnson are making the team and at times each or both will be taking a lot of defensive snaps. How fresh do you need your gunners to be?

At this point you must put Daryl Johnson on the 53. I’d prefer to just keep the 4 ends. I have no need for Love or Yarborough.

LB’s is tough bc I like Joseph and think he can be a player someday but as has been mentioned he is raw and the other bubble LBs all bring something to the table. Tough to cut one of them for someone who will be in more of a learning mode. Sneaking him onto the PS will be tough imo. Such a hard decision there.

DBs - we are so deep here it’s nuts. My only concern is that we are definitely going to cut multiple NFL caliber players. I guess that’s the best problem to have in the preseason.

Our punters have big legs and are young so I’m not too worried about it. Hauschka needs to get his shiz together tho. That 48 yarder he missed against Carolina was funky to me - he looked so nonchalant. His motions looked like he was outside of a typical routine. I’m slightly concerned.

Last edited:
I think you have to keep McKenzie at this point. He’s your jet sweep guy, he’s your back up return guy and he’s shown too much competence in general WR duties to be cut.

Duke had an eye opening game against Carolina. Can we afford to keep 7? I guess it all depends on what he can offer on Specials vs the other guys on the bubble. But as has been said he offers a high-point-jump-ball skill set that no one else offers.

Wade will be on PS. From what I understand he cannot be picked up by anyone else if we choose to PS him. We just can’t pull him up to the 53 if we choose to assign him to the PS to start the season.

I’m to the point now where if we keep a 4th RB then I want it to be Murphy. He’s better than Yeldon in my mind. The only way they keep Perry is if they think that he is a significantly better gunner than they can find elsewhere on the roster.

I deleted the DVR of the Carolina game (like a dope) but I still had the Indy game. I went back and checked to see who the gunners were. The first set was Neal and Kevin Johnson. The second set was Perry and Pitts. Third set was Rice and Lewis. Gunner requires the most unique skill set on specials from any other spot - you absolutely have to have guys that can get the job done here. Neal and Johnson are making the team and at times each or both will be taking a lot of defensive snaps. How fresh do you need your gunners to be?

At this point you must put Daryl Johnson on the 53. I’d prefer to just keep the 4 ends. I have no need for Love or Yarborough.

LB’s is tough bc I like Joseph and think he can be a player someday but as has been mentioned he is raw and the other bubble LBs all bring something to the table. Tough to cut one of them for someone who will be in more of a learning mode. Sneaking him onto the PS will be tough imo. Such a hard decision there.

DBs - we are so deep here it’s nuts. My only concern is that we are definitely going to cut multiple NFL caliber players. I guess that’s the best problem to have in the preseason.

Our punters have big legs and are young so I’m not too worried about it. Hauschka needs to get his shiz together tho. That 48 yarder he missed against Carolina was funky to me - he looked so nonchalant. His motions looked like he was outside of a typical routine. I’m slightly concerned.
Felt the same way about the 48 yard FG attempt as he kicked it.

E.J. Gaines released with injury settlement.

Can we all just take a minute and recognize how lucky we are that Buffalo didn't end up trading for Antonio Brown, what a disaster he is.

I'm going to wait until the regular season to declare victory on that but it's looking pretty bizarre right now to say the least. If he ultimately puts the new helmet on and plays like Antonio Brown, I'd probably still have rather had him on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom