Buffalo Bills 2020 Thread | Page 215 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2020 Thread

I'll take a $2m/year version over a $12m/year version I guess.
Yeah, if he actually pans out to be a good Matt Milano replacement that would be an awesome outcome.

Ringer mock up today. Has the Bills going with LB Nick Bolton from Missouri at 30. I've never heard of the dude since I don't watch other bad teams due to Syracuse being enough bad college football for me.

BUFFALO BILLS
With Matt Milano scheduled for free agency, Buffalo could stand to add some youth and talent to the linebacker spot opposite Tremaine Edmunds. Bolton is a rangy, athletic, and hard-hitting ’backer who could contribute both in base and nickel looks for the Bills.

SCOUTING REPORT
Bolton is a compact, muscled-up linebacker with coverage instincts and a ferocious demeanor against the run. The Tigers star brings explosive burst when coming downhill, slicing through the line to hit the ballcarrier for a loss. He’s savvy at keying blockers and has good field vision, showing anticipation to slip through gaps in the line. He blows up stretch runs and outside zone looks, and is made of cement as a hitter, regularly sending opponents flying off their feet. He always looks to separate the football from the ballcarrier.
Bolton has strong instincts when patrolling the second level in coverage. The second-team All-American is comfortable dropping back into zone looks (he tallied eight forced incompletions in 2019, tied for second among linebackers in college football, per PFF). He grabbed five passes defensed in 2020, adding 95 tackles, eight tackles for a loss, and two sacks in 10 games. He’s a high-effort player whose intensity is contagious to his teammates.
Bolton is undersized and lacks length for the position, a variable that sometimes shows up when he slips off tackles or fails to wrap up. He could struggle matching up against taller tight ends in man coverage. And while he has the athleticism to flow with the ball, he’s not a true burner with elite speed.

WHY HE COULD RISE
Bolton is a souped-up ball of energy at the linebacker position, flying around the field and laying big hits on opponents. His instincts are outstanding.

WHY HE COULD FALL
His lack of size and length could be a factor for some teams.
Gross.

Best Offensive Player at 30.

Top 10 Pick as DT
3rd Round Pick as rotational DT
2nd Round Pick at EDGE
1st Round Pick at LB
1st Round Pick at CB

Figure it out. Cut the fat and sign a pass rusher in FA. With Star coming back, maybe the DL will actually be able to something.

Yuck. So much for those compensatory 3rd round picks, and a fresh look at the D.

Yuck. So much for those compensatory 3rd round picks, and a fresh look at the D.
Was my exact thought as well. I'm not sure if we are just conditioned to complain because they have been bad most our lives and it feels weird that they are now good and should be for the forseeable future but we have basically every piece of an ascending team coming back that just made it to the AFC Championship game and are still complaining.

Was my exact thought as well. I'm not sure if we are just conditioned to complain because they have been bad most our lives and it feels weird that they are now good and should be for the forseeable future but we have basically every piece of an ascending team coming back that just made it to the AFC Championship game and are still complaining.
I think it’s because we seem so far off from Kansas City.

I mean, almost everyone is as well, but we can demolish everyone all year... doesn’t matter if we can’t even give KC a game.

Lots of changes need to occur this offseason, both in roster construction and coaching philosophy. I don’t think this will be a simple “tweaking” of the roster. Good news is the core pieces are there.

I think it was an amazing season and I would totally run it back for the next decade. I think most of the reason for the semi-defeatist attitude is that while we are clearly a top 5 team in the league (maybe even top 2), there is a clear number 1 team in the league and they pretty much owned us on all levels twice the past season.

So while we should totally celebrate this past season, it's also fair to ask what it will take to make the next step forward... for better or for worse the next step forward is beating the Chiefs and winning the Super Bowl. We played one of our worst games of the season and the coaches coached one of their worst games of the season in the AFC title game. The Chiefs exposed our weaknesses in o-line, RB, TE, d-line, LB and in my opinion I don't believe our defensive strategy will be good enough to come close to containing the Chiefs O to the point where our O can outscore them. The D and the strategy on D is why I'm not going into the off-season somewhat concerned... I'm not sure Frazier and McD will change and Frazier leaving could have been a good opportunity to get some fresh ideas in the house.

I think it’s because we seem so far off from Kansas City.

I mean, almost everyone is as well, but we can demolish everyone all year... doesn’t matter if we can’t even give KC a game.

Lots of changes need to occur this offseason, both in roster construction and coaching philosophy. I don’t think this will be a simple “tweaking” of the roster. Good news is the core pieces are there.
You said it much more succinctly than I was able to. Plus one to all of this.

You said it much more succinctly than I was able to. Plus one to all of this.
McDermott talked about needing speed, size and physicality. Beane directly referenced weaknesses at the TE position and in the running game.

I think the Offense can be tweaked. I trust them to keep a solid OL out there for Josh and it seems we will absolutely be in the market for a new TE and RB via Free Agency and/or the Draft.

Defense has me worried as well. The idea of having a collection of good players being greater as a unit was completely blown up by KC. We had no difference makers on that side of the ball and our coaches stayed in the same schemes they trust even when they were dismantled drive after drive.

I think it’s fixable, but if they try re-signing Milano (thankfully, it doesn’t sound like they will) and don’t cut the fat on the DL, I’ll start to worry.

One thing that would help is if Houston didn't trade Watson to Miami or the Jets. Don't need him in the AFC East.

Miami looks to be the most attractive, realistic option but I wonder:

1.) Is Houston ok trading Watson to another AFC team instead of an NFC team?
2.) Does Deshaun want to stay in the AFC with Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Lawrence, Burrow, plus other quality teams like the Colts, Patriots all in the same conference?

Players that need to have a big years next season IMO

Ed Oliver
Tremaine Edmunds
Cody Ford
Dawson Knox
AJ Epeneza

I've been patient with all of them but next year it's time to see how good they are.

Also, I expect Beane to get the offense more speed and explosiveness at WR and RB in the draft, along with maybe a Center/Guard, and use FA to sign dependable vets on defense.

Miami looks to be the most attractive, realistic option but I wonder:

1.) Is Houston ok trading Watson to another AFC team instead of an NFC team?
2.) Does Deshaun want to stay in the AFC with Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Lawrence, Burrow, plus other quality teams like the Colts, Patriots all in the same conference?

I think Watson will definitely be okay with Miami. In fact, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they're his #1 choice if he had his pick.

I think Watson will definitely be okay with Miami. In fact, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they're his #1 choice if he had his pick.
If for nothing more than tax reasons...

Found a PFF article with their predictions for the top 100 free agents and boy is it a doozy...
18. Richard Sherman - Bills - 2/$28 - $18m guaranteed
37. Matt Milano - Bills - 4/$45 - $20m guaranteed
40. Daryl Williams - Bills - 3/$31.5 - $18.75m guaranteed
57. Chris Carson - Bills - 3/$27 - $15m guaranteed
59. Trey Hendrickson - Bills - 4/$45 - $25m guaranteed

Apparently using Monopoly money. Would sure be fun though even if some of the values are horrible. Load up for 2 years before Allen's extension kicks in.

Found a PFF article with their predictions for the top 100 free agents and boy is it a doozy...

Apparently using Monopoly money. Would sure be fun though even if some of the values are horrible. Load up for 2 years before Allen's extension kicks in.

Good lord, did the cap get raised to 245 million overnight? Insane.

Who are we cutting to do all this?

I’m assuming Brown, Addison, Butler, Jefferson and Smith.

Chris Carson is intriguing but $9M AAV... ok...

Good lord, did the cap get raised to 245 million overnight? Insane.
It's Madden and they turned the cap off and just going in and checking off all of our needs lol.