Buffalo Bills 2020 Thread | Page 214 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2020 Thread

Really good point. We’re up against the cap, but Beane basically structured a bunch of guys with outs this year.

Hughes, Addison, Jefferson, Butler, Brown and Morse can all be cut for big cap savings and minimal dead cap hits.

I could easily see all but Hughes cut. That allows us to re-sign Williams/Feliciano, potentially re-sign Milano and/or go big game hunting for a high price FA or two.

Yep, might not be as impossible as I initially thought to bring in one of the pass-rushers on the FA market.

I would think there's a good chance we give Diggs a raise this offseason to create a significant amount of cap savings in the short-term too.

Alright, back home and recovered and turning the page to 2021. Feels good to not have been scouring mock drafts for a few weeks already.

Cutting Brown and elevating Gabe is going to be an easy call. Diggs/Gabe/Beasley is high end weaponry for Allen. The $8m in cap savings makes it a no brainer. I've had concerns with Diggs in terms of him likely wanting a raise to be paid among the elite WRs now that he firmly established himself there. Kind of sucks if we'll likely have to do it as the bill is coming due on so many other guys but suppose him playing out his deal was a pipedream even though it has 3 years left on it.

On the offensive side, it's a real tough call for me on Morse. He seems like an adequate center but seems to constantly be banged up. His cap number is terrible but so is his dead cap. Have to pay him $10.3 to play or $5.5 not to. Not likely to be easy to find a quality replacement with that $4.8m in savings unless you use a pick in the top 2/3 rounds. Think the best option may be to attempt to restructure the deal to add more guaranteed money in 2022 to pull his cap down to something more manageable. A ton of value in a veteran center paired with Allen and in line continuity especially if one or both of Feliciano and Williams may be gone.

Think it's going to be an either/or situation on retaining Williams or Milano and then finding a cheap replacement at 30 or 62. No reason to pay both market value when you should be able to replace 1 on a 4 year rookie deal that will come in less than what the avg per year will be on their deals. I'd lean on keeping Williams with all guarantees in 1st 2 years and letting Milano go. He should bring in a nice 2022 comp pick and a way better chance of finding a starter level LB in the 1st 2 rounds than an OT.

Really going to need to come up with a long term plan on the DL. Threw a ton of money at a bunch of veteran bodies last summer and it didn't really work out too well. Addison and Jefferson seem like no brainer cuts. Clears out $12.6m and up to $14.6 if Addison is post June 1st. They have bodies at DT with Star back along with Ed and Harry. Butler at $8m is probably too rich for my blood and its been impossible for me to decide if he's good or not but at that price, no thanks. They really need to take that money and try to find a difference maker on the edge to add to Hughes and Epenesa and consider using an early pick. There are a bunch of edge guys hitting FA this year and most the league has cap issues so this may be the year to go after a $12-15m guy and turn a clear weakness into something stable.

Obviously need to find another CB. Safety tandem is still excellent but imagine this will be their last year together. Hyde hits FA after 2021 and will likely want to try to get paid 1 last time. No clue if either of the young safeties are any good since they never play.

Another great thing is the absolute 100% turnaround in the perception of this franchise. We've had to pay a 10% premium against virtually every other team in order to bring guys in via free agency. I am pretty certain those days are over and it actually might swing completely the other way and see guys taking a little less to come play in Buffalo. There wasn't a squad in the league that looked in the same stratosphere in terms of how much fun they were having together and that was clear as day. Combine that with a trajectory arrow pointed straight up and guys are going to want in on that. Thank god or McBeane or whoever but what a fun ride this was.

Last edited:
Alright, back home and recovered and turning the page to 2021. Feels good to not have been scouring mock drafts for a few weeks already.

Cutting Brown and elevating Gabe is going to be an easy call. Diggs/Gabe/Beasley is high end weaponry for Allen. The $8m in cap savings makes it a no brainer. I've had concerns with Diggs in terms of him likely wanting a raise to be paid among the elite WRs now that he firmly established himself there. Kind of sucks if we'll likely have to do it as the bill is coming due on so many other guys but suppose him playing out his deal was a pipedream even though it has 3 years left on it.

On the offensive side, it's a real tough call for me on Morse. He seems like an adequate center but seems to constantly be banged up. His cap number is terrible but so is his dead cap. Have to pay him $10.3 to play or $5.5 not to. Not likely to be easy to find a quality replacement with that $4.8m in savings unless you use a pick in the top 2/3 rounds. Think the best option may be to attempt to restructure the deal to add more guaranteed money in 2022 to pull his cap down to something more manageable. A ton of value in a veteran center paired with Allen and in line continuity especially if one or both of Feliciano and Williams may be gone.

Think it's going to be an either/or situation on retaining Williams or Milano and then finding a cheap replacement at 30 or 62. No reason to pay both market value when you should be able to replace 1 on a 4 year rookie deal that will come in less than what the avg per year will be on their deals. I'd lean on keeping Williams with all guarantees in 1st 2 years and letting Milano go. He should bring in a nice 2022 comp pick and a way better chance of finding a starter level LB in the 1st 2 rounds than an OT.

Really going to need to come up with a long term plan on the DL. Threw a ton of money at a bunch of veteran bodies last summer and it didn't really work out too well. Addison and Jefferson seem like no brainer cuts. Clears out $12.6m and up to $14.6 if Addison is post June 1st. They have bodies at DT with Star back along with Ed and Harry. Butler at $8m is probably too rich for my blood and its been impossible for me to decide if he's good or not but at that price, no thanks. They really need to take that money and try to find a difference maker on the edge to add to Hughes and Epenesa and consider using an early pick. There are a bunch of edge guys hitting FA this year and most the league has cap issues so this may be the year to go after a $12-15m guy and turn a clear weakness into something stable.

Obviously need to find another CB. Safety tandem is still excellent but imagine this will be their last year together. Hyde hits FA after 2021 and will likely want to try to get paid 1 last time. No clue if either of the young safeties are any good since they never play.

Another great thing is the absolute 100% turnaround in the perception of this franchise. We've had to pay a 10% premium against virtually every other team in order to bring guys in via free agency. I am pretty certain those days are over and it actually might swing completely the other way and see guys taking a little less to come play in Buffalo. There wasn't a squad in the league that looked in the same stratosphere in terms of how much fun they were having together and that was clear as day. Combine that with a trajectory arrow pointed straight up and guys are going to want in on that. Thank god or McBeane or whoever but what a fun ride this was.
Welcome back and great post. The year was clearly a raging success and agree that it's relieving to be talking about what can put us over the top against KC versus how the h@ll we catch up to the Patriots.

It's strange to say coming off a 13-3 year but I think Beane has some major work to do on the roster in the years ahead. As JeremyCuse said above, I would consider trading down this year to pick up more picks. Strange to consider given that we have needs but we have to keep in mind a couple things:

1) Allen is going to be a VERY rich man in the not too distant future;
2) Hitting on draft picks and lower level FA is going to be essential if we want to stay competitive with cap flexibility.

Obviously we're starting in a strong spot, but if it were me...

A) Defense Line. Way too often this year we got zero pressure from the front four, forcing Frazier to bring pressure from the LBs or corners. I keep thinking about those Giants teams that beat NE in the Super Bowl- the consistent theme was that they could generate pressure on Brady with their front four. Mahomes is an incredible athlete and had way too much time to throw. We need to figure out a way to upgrade the talent. Murphy will walk, Addison hasn't done much, and I fear Hughes may not have much gas left in the tank. Jury is definitely still out on Eddie O and Epenesa but neither is a game changer, so far.

B) Linebacker- this is a tough one. The defense was demonstrably better with Milano- but can we really afford to pay him a max contract with our other needs? We weren't a shutdown defense- did he contribute to this or was he keeping us at the upper echelon? Regardless, if a <cheaper> replacement is available that performs in the vicinity we may move on. Edmunds is a keeper.

C) Quarterback- just kidding. Feels great to say that.

D) Secondary- you can never have enough talented corners.

E) OL- little torn here, wondering whether Ford coming back will help paper over some of the issues. Williams played great and would love to re-sign him.

The running game NEEDS to improve but I'm not sure whether a top end, Etienne style draft pick is worth it. Moss was solid this year. Singletary is an enigma, but clearly regressed this year. I might look UFA to save dollars. Wide receiver- Brown is an obvious target but don't rule out a restructure. Obviously his health has been an issue.

Going to be really interested to see how Beane and McDermott proceed. If you haven't read the Athletic article on McDermott- do so right away. The impression I get is he will stop at nothing to build a Super Bowl winner...wonderful to have the right leadership team while places like Houston are a disaster. Speaking of which- amazing how quickly things change. After last year's playoff debacle, would anyone have made that argument?

Welcome back and great post. The year was clearly a raging success and agree that it's relieving to be talking about what can put us over the top against KC versus how the h@ll we catch up to the Patriots.

It's strange to say coming off a 13-3 year but I think Beane has some major work to do on the roster in the years ahead. As JeremyCuse said above, I would consider trading down this year to pick up more picks. Strange to consider given that we have needs but we have to keep in mind a couple things:

1) Allen is going to be a VERY rich man in the not too distant future;
2) Hitting on draft picks and lower level FA is going to be essential if we want to stay competitive with cap flexibility.

Obviously we're starting in a strong spot, but if it were me...

A) Defense Line. Way too often this year we got zero pressure from the front four, forcing Frazier to bring pressure from the LBs or corners. I keep thinking about those Giants teams that beat NE in the Super Bowl- the consistent theme was that they could generate pressure on Brady with their front four. Mahomes is an incredible athlete and had way too much time to throw. We need to figure out a way to upgrade the talent. Murphy will walk, Addison hasn't done much, and I fear Hughes may not have much gas left in the tank. Jury is definitely still out on Eddie O and Epenesa but neither is a game changer, so far.

B) Linebacker- this is a tough one. The defense was demonstrably better with Milano- but can we really afford to pay him a max contract with our other needs? We weren't a shutdown defense- did he contribute to this or was he keeping us at the upper echelon? Regardless, if a <cheaper> replacement is available that performs in the vicinity we may move on. Edmunds is a keeper.

C) Quarterback- just kidding. Feels great to say that.

D) Secondary- you can never have enough talented corners.

E) OL- little torn here, wondering whether Ford coming back will help paper over some of the issues. Williams played great and would love to re-sign him.

The running game NEEDS to improve but I'm not sure whether a top end, Etienne style draft pick is worth it. Moss was solid this year. Singletary is an enigma, but clearly regressed this year. I might look UFA to save dollars. Wide receiver- Brown is an obvious target but don't rule out a restructure. Obviously his health has been an issue.

Going to be really interested to see how Beane and McDermott proceed. If you haven't read the Athletic article on McDermott- do so right away. The impression I get is he will stop at nothing to build a Super Bowl winner...wonderful to have the right leadership team while places like Houston are a disaster. Speaking of which- amazing how quickly things change. After last year's playoff debacle, would anyone have made that argument?
Fresh Kiper mock out today. Najee Harris at 30. Hate 1st rd running backs but at pick 30 is a helluva lot different then top 10-15 where you absolutely need to strike on guys at premium positions because you can't get them otherwise. Picking late allows to pick up a top guy at a low value position without sacrificing opportunity cost. Can go RB, interior lineman on either side of the ball or ILB and have a shot at the #1 guy at that position.

I’m taking a flamethrower to the defense if I’m Beane. In a bizarro cap year, this is when some legit players will come available.

Star-Oliver-Harry should be our DT’s heading into FA. Draft another space eater at some point.

Hughes-Epenesa-Johnson should be our DE’s heading into FA. Sign a pass rusher in FA. A bunch of very good, non-elite guys who want to be paid like they’re elite will be available. Whatever. Get one.

Let Milano walk. I wouldn’t even entertain bringing him back. Can’t pay two linebackers big money. Edmunds-Klein-Dodson-Matakevich. Draft a LB or sign a veteran LB who fits our scheme.

White-Johnson-Jackson-Gaines-Neal. Tender Wallace to keep him in Buffalo. Hyde-Poyer-Johnson. Bring back Marlowe. I’m sure we’ll draft a corner somewhere.

Dawkins-Boettger-Morse OR Feliciano-Ford-Williams. Keep Bates and Nsehke as depth and draft an early round G/C to challenge for a starting G spot.

Allen-Fromm-Webb

Knox-Smith-Sweeney-Gilliam. McDermott made a point to say we need to run better. I think that means Lee Smith stays, and I don’t mind him tbh.

Diggs-Davis-Beasley. Cut Brown. Keep 1 of McKenzie/Roberts. What do we have in Hodgins? Do the Bills like what they saw in Stills?

Moss-Williams

At Pick 30:

Najee Harris OR Kadarius Toney OR Travis Etienne. This pick needs to be a playmaker.

I’m taking a flamethrower to the defense if I’m Beane. In a bizarro cap year, this is when some legit players will come available.

Star-Oliver-Harry should be our DT’s heading into FA. Draft another space eater at some point.

Hughes-Epenesa-Johnson should be our DE’s heading into FA. Sign a pass rusher in FA. A bunch of very good, non-elite guys who want to be paid like they’re elite will be available. Whatever. Get one.

Let Milano walk. I wouldn’t even entertain bringing him back. Can’t pay two linebackers big money. Edmunds-Klein-Dodson-Matakevich. Draft a LB or sign a veteran LB who fits our scheme.

White-Johnson-Jackson-Gaines-Neal. Tender Wallace to keep him in Buffalo. Hyde-Poyer-Johnson. Bring back Marlowe. I’m sure we’ll draft a corner somewhere.

Dawkins-Boettger-Morse OR Feliciano-Ford-Williams. Keep Bates and Nsehke as depth and draft an early round G/C to challenge for a starting G spot.

Allen-Fromm-Webb

Knox-Smith-Sweeney-Gilliam. McDermott made a point to say we need to run better. I think that means Lee Smith stays, and I don’t mind him tbh.

Diggs-Davis-Beasley. Cut Brown. Keep 1 of McKenzie/Roberts. What do we have in Hodgins? Do the Bills like what they saw in Stills?

Moss-Williams

At Pick 30:

Najee Harris OR Kadarius Toney OR Travis Etienne. This pick needs to be a playmaker.
Nice. On the OL it's always good to have guys like Feliciano and Ford who can play at 2 spots. Wonder what the coaches think of Fromm.

Allen-Fromm-Webb

Moss-Williams

At Pick 30:

Hate that the draft is a month and a half after the start of FA. Waste so much time looking at stuff and then strengths/weaknesses can all change dramatically in March.

Some random offseason ramblings since some of the others have done it already. If I were running the Bills this offseason, I'd be trying to do something like this:

• QB: I'm going to be nervous about Allen suddenly regressing, but ultimately, I think you gotta lock him up this offseason so that you can plan around his exact contract with everything else you want to do.
  • RB: I'm vehemently against taking a RB on the first two days of the draft. I know the salary on the #30 pick isn't all that high, so it's not nearly as bad a choice as taking a RB top 5 or anything, but it's still a bad choice. Now that we're going to be in a position where every dollar matters, we have to take advantage of the rookie salaries by spending them on valuable positions. Paying a #30 pick $1 mil when you can sign a starting caliber RB for $2 mil is simply nowhere near as valuable getting a corner or an edge rusher for $1 mil while starters are signing for $5-10 mil. If you want to spend a Day 3 pick on another RB, have at it, but at this point, I'd much rather just sign a guy that we know we can depend on like a Jamaal Williams, James White, etc.
  • WR: After Allen, Diggs is the next guy to talk to. Give him a new contract that gives him more money and more guarantees but lessens his cap hit in the short-term; can probably save $5+ mil off the cap if you do it right. Trade John Brown for a Day 3 pick if you can. I like him a lot, but we're at the point now where we're going to have to cut costs in places and with Davis blossoming down the stretch, I think you gotta get off Brown's contract and embrace Davis as the starter out wide with Diggs. I'd probably try to bring McKenzie back on a deal that would be painless to cut after training camp if we replace him properly, but I'm guessing some team will pay him more than I'm comfortable with given how limited his receiving skills are. I'm letting Andre Roberts walk without giving it a second thought, but I was against his signing from Day 1 so a bit biased there lol.
  • TE: Unfortunately, the free agents look like a waste of money to me and the draft is so tough with tight ends (and obviously we aren't getting Pitts at #30). I said it last year too, but once again, I'd probably be reaching out to Tampa to gauge their interest in trading one of their TEs. Don't really care which it is between Brate and Howard; I'd take either one if it costs a Day 3 pick. If you aren't willing to pay one of those guys the $6 mil that they're due next year, you could maybe see if you can scoop up a guy like Trey Burton or Jordan Reed at a cheaper cost, but like I said, there's really nothing I'm very interested in in free agency here.
  • OLine: Daryl Williams is likely a top priority for us. A little nervous how high his price tag might end up being after he had a great year, but we'll see. Re: Feliciano, I think you either let him walk or sign him and cut Morse. I think I'd probably lean towards the second option because Morse's concussions scare me.
  • DLine: Like LIC said, I think you pretty much have to roll with Oliver, Star, and Phillips at DT next year (assuming Star comes back). This is the easiest spot to clear cap space if we want it. I'd prefer to keep Hughes/maybe restructure his deal and pretty much cut the rest. In a perfect world, we can use the cap space we just generated with those cuts to sign a guy like Ngakoue, Carl Lawson, Clowney, or Hendrickson.
  • LB: I like Milano a lot, but I think you gotta let him leave and hope you can replace him at a cheaper cost. I'm honestly kinda nervous about the LB position as it seems poised to be expensive and also not necessarily good in the near future.
  • CB: 2nd round tender for Levi and a position to watch for in the draft.
  • S: For the 2nd year in a row, I think this is an important position to keep in mind in the draft. Our interest in Kyle Duggar wasn't exactly a secret and I think it's just a matter of time before we let one or both of our safeties go.
  • Draft Targets: They can do whatever with the Day 3 picks, but with the earlier picks, the main things I'd be aiming for are WR, Edge, CB, S, LB, and OLine. I haven't scouted enough to know who the real options are, but I know at WR for example, Kadarius Toney, Rondale Moore, and Tutu Atwell are all considered guys that can run the gadget stuff that McKenzie does for us while having far more potential as an actual receiver. I suspect Toney will rise out of our draft range, but the other two seem likely to be on the board at #30 if we want to go in that direction. It's not my #1 priority but it's up there.

Some random offseason ramblings since some of the others have done it already. If I were running the Bills this offseason, I'd be trying to do something like this:

• QB: I'm going to be nervous about Allen suddenly regressing, but ultimately, I think you gotta lock him up this offseason so that you can plan around his exact contract with everything else you want to do.
  • RB: I'm vehemently against taking a RB on the first two days of the draft. I know the salary on the #30 pick isn't all that high, so it's not nearly as bad a choice as taking a RB top 5 or anything, but it's still a bad choice. Now that we're going to be in a position where every dollar matters, we have to take advantage of the rookie salaries by spending them on valuable positions. Paying a #30 pick $1 mil when you can sign a starting caliber RB for $2 mil is simply nowhere near as valuable getting a corner or an edge rusher for $1 mil while starters are signing for $5-10 mil. If you want to spend a Day 3 pick on another RB, have at it, but at this point, I'd much rather just sign a guy that we know we can depend on like a Jamaal Williams, James White, etc.
  • WR: After Allen, Diggs is the next guy to talk to. Give him a new contract that gives him more money and more guarantees but lessens his cap hit in the short-term; can probably save $5+ mil off the cap if you do it right. Trade John Brown for a Day 3 pick if you can. I like him a lot, but we're at the point now where we're going to have to cut costs in places and with Davis blossoming down the stretch, I think you gotta get off Brown's contract and embrace Davis as the starter out wide with Diggs. I'd probably try to bring McKenzie back on a deal that would be painless to cut after training camp if we replace him properly, but I'm guessing some team will pay him more than I'm comfortable with given how limited his receiving skills are. I'm letting Andre Roberts walk without giving it a second thought, but I was against his signing from Day 1 so a bit biased there lol.
  • TE: Unfortunately, the free agents look like a waste of money to me and the draft is so tough with tight ends (and obviously we aren't getting Pitts at #30). I said it last year too, but once again, I'd probably be reaching out to Tampa to gauge their interest in trading one of their TEs. Don't really care which it is between Brate and Howard; I'd take either one if it costs a Day 3 pick. If you aren't willing to pay one of those guys the $6 mil that they're due next year, you could maybe see if you can scoop up a guy like Trey Burton or Jordan Reed at a cheaper cost, but like I said, there's really nothing I'm very interested in in free agency here.
  • OLine: Daryl Williams is likely a top priority for us. A little nervous how high his price tag might end up being after he had a great year, but we'll see. Re: Feliciano, I think you either let him walk or sign him and cut Morse. I think I'd probably lean towards the second option because Morse's concussions scare me.
  • DLine: Like LIC said, I think you pretty much have to roll with Oliver, Star, and Phillips at DT next year (assuming Star comes back). This is the easiest spot to clear cap space if we want it. I'd prefer to keep Hughes/maybe restructure his deal and pretty much cut the rest. In a perfect world, we can use the cap space we just generated with those cuts to sign a guy like Ngakoue, Carl Lawson, Clowney, or Hendrickson.
  • LB: I like Milano a lot, but I think you gotta let him leave and hope you can replace him at a cheaper cost. I'm honestly kinda nervous about the LB position as it seems poised to be expensive and also not necessarily good in the near future.
  • CB: 2nd round tender for Levi and a position to watch for in the draft.
  • S: For the 2nd year in a row, I think this is an important position to keep in mind in the draft. Our interest in Kyle Duggar wasn't exactly a secret and I think it's just a matter of time before we let one or both of our safeties go.
  • Draft Targets: They can do whatever with the Day 3 picks, but with the earlier picks, the main things I'd be aiming for are WR, Edge, CB, S, LB, and OLine. I haven't scouted enough to know who the real options are, but I know at WR for example, Kadarius Toney, Rondale Moore, and Tutu Atwell are all considered guys that can run the gadget stuff that McKenzie does for us while having far more potential as an actual receiver. I suspect Toney will rise out of our draft range, but the other two seem likely to be on the board at #30 if we want to go in that direction. It's not my #1 priority but it's up there.
Based on what we know and how they do business. I imagine the glaring holes that we see now will be papered over in March with guys they are willing to live with and will allow them to go BPA. At least that's my hope and guess. I think we are all probably in agreement that there are 0 spots outside of QB that can be ruled out in the 1st 2 rounds though I think Safety would be the only other one that is unlikely depending on their thoughts on Johnson/Neal.

Last edited:
Good observation about Atwell and Moore being possibilities if Toney is gone at 30. Toney is so electric though... I’d feel like the WR version of taking Fields or Wilson because I couldn’t get Lawrence.

The reason I’m ok with Harris or Etienne is because of them being much more than “running backs”. Dobbins and Taylor are running backs... I wanted nothing to do with them. Harris and Etienne are guys who Allen can dump off to and that short gain is always an option to become a big play. KC can’t give us throws to the flat if one of those guys are out there.

Good observation about Atwell and Moore being possibilities if Toney is gone at 30. Toney is so electric though... I’d feel like the WR version of taking Fields or Wilson because I couldn’t get Lawrence.

The reason I’m ok with Harris or Etienne is because of them being much more than “running backs”. Dobbins and Taylor are running backs... I wanted nothing to do with them. Harris and Etienne are guys who Allen can dump off to and that short gain is always an option to become a big play. KC can’t give us throws to the flat if one of those guys are out there.

My thinking exactly on if we were to grab a RB at the back end of the first. If you can get a dual threat guy there, it adds another dimension to the offense that could take Josh even higher.

My thinking exactly on if we were to grab a RB at the back end of the first. If you can get a dual threat guy there, it adds another dimension to the offense that could take Josh even higher.

Re: WRs - Again, I must reiterate I haven't watched much of them yet like I have in the past, but Toney definitely seems like the real deal to me. He seems like a guy that should go top 20 in a normal draft at worst. Moore looks really good but his injury issues the last two years are very concerning; you have to go back to his freshman year to really see him at his best (but he was as good a freshman WR as pretty much anyone in the history of college football). Atwell...I don't know. Even in his highlights he doesn't jump off the screen the way Toney and Moore do, but he does seem talented and versatile, and I know Daniel Jeremiah views him as a 1st round guy.

Re: RBs - I get it. If that ends up being the pick at #30, I'll be disappointed but I won't be legitimately angry about it. But again, I just think it's a lot more important to use draft picks on valuable positions. If you hit on a pass-rusher at #30, you're paying a guy $1 million that you'd ideally be paying $15+ million. If you hit on a RB there, you're paying him $1 million that you'd ideally be paying $2-5 million for. I definitely get it in terms of targeting more versatile RBs if you're gonna do it, and I agree with that thinking, but at the same time, we just saw the Chiefs do this with Edwards-Helaire last year (who I liked a lot as a draft prospect) and then the season played out and there were 5+ rookie RBs that were better than him.

Edit: I meant to mention this before, but we could potentially go back to the Carolina Pipeline and target Curtis Samuel if we want to replace McKenzie/get more receiving out of our backfield that way too.

Last edited:
Re: WRs - Again, I must reiterate I haven't watched much of them yet like I have in the past, but Toney definitely seems like the real deal to me. He seems like a guy that should go top 20 in a normal draft at worst. Moore looks really good but his injury issues the last two years are very concerning; you have to go back to his freshman year to really see him at his best (but he was as good a freshman WR as pretty much anyone in the history of college football). Atwell...I don't know. Even in his highlights he doesn't jump off the screen the way Toney and Moore do, but he does seem talented and versatile, and I know Daniel Jeremiah views him as a 1st round guy.

Re: RBs - I get it. If that ends up being the pick at #30, I'll be disappointed but I won't be legitimately angry about it. But again, I just think it's a lot more important to use draft picks on valuable positions. If you hit on a pass-rusher at #30, you're paying a guy $1 million that you'd ideally be paying $15+ million. If you hit on a RB there, you're paying him $1 million that you'd ideally be paying $2-5 million for. I definitely get it in terms of targeting more versatile RBs if you're gonna do it, and I agree with that thinking, but at the same time, we just saw the Chiefs do this with Edwards-Helaire last year (who I liked a lot as a draft prospect) and then the season played out and there were 5+ rookie RBs that were better than him.

Edit: I meant to mention this before, but we could potentially go back to the Carolina Pipeline and target Curtis Samuel if we want to replace McKenzie/get more receiving out of our backfield that way too.

+1 I like Samuel as a replacement for Brown/Mckenzie's role on offense. He might even be able to help return punts too

I really like Harris and Etienne as prospects but I hate the idea of having to spend a 1st to get one of them. I think there will be RBs you can get in the 3rd or 4th that are upgrades over Singletary and could be paired with Moss to improve the running game. The offense definitely needs more explosiveness though. I really like Moore and can be talked into Toney as well.

To me the wise move this offseason is to draft good eventual replacements for Brown, Beasley, Hyde, Poyer, Hughes, etc.

Right now the Bills have a two year window to win a Super Bowl before Allen's contract extension kicks in and they have to reshuffle things. But a good offseason and draft right now can extend that initial SB window another couple years.

Re: Toney, this is an incredibly loaded 1st Round of WR’s.

Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, Ja’Marr Chase & Kyle Pitts are all pass catchers who will fly off the board. If Toney is there once we get into the 20’s, I think we’ll be sweating it out to get to 30... and Green Bay, by virtue of SOS tie-breaker could be the team that snags him right before us.

The more I think about it the more I think Mario Addison will likely be a Bill next year. A little old for my liking but highly productive. I'd be pretty happy with Bradberry too if they just want to continue the tradition of bringing on former Panthers. Imagine that he's going to be expensive but don't know what else they plan on doing with all the cap space. We're passed the point where we should always just look for young and cheap, the rebuild is over and it's time to supplement the roster instead of build it.
Interesting going back to last February and see what we were all thinking and hoping for. Should we continue to celebrate the season in this thread or turn the page?

He also mentioned he doesn't think Singletary and Moss came up short this season and that "there's a lot to look at in the run game struggles" in case any of y'all want to read into that.

Ringer mock up today. Has the Bills going with LB Nick Bolton from Missouri at 30. I've never heard of the dude since I don't watch other bad teams due to Syracuse being enough bad college football for me.

BUFFALO BILLS
With Matt Milano scheduled for free agency, Buffalo could stand to add some youth and talent to the linebacker spot opposite Tremaine Edmunds. Bolton is a rangy, athletic, and hard-hitting ’backer who could contribute both in base and nickel looks for the Bills.

SCOUTING REPORT
Bolton is a compact, muscled-up linebacker with coverage instincts and a ferocious demeanor against the run. The Tigers star brings explosive burst when coming downhill, slicing through the line to hit the ballcarrier for a loss. He’s savvy at keying blockers and has good field vision, showing anticipation to slip through gaps in the line. He blows up stretch runs and outside zone looks, and is made of cement as a hitter, regularly sending opponents flying off their feet. He always looks to separate the football from the ballcarrier.
Bolton has strong instincts when patrolling the second level in coverage. The second-team All-American is comfortable dropping back into zone looks (he tallied eight forced incompletions in 2019, tied for second among linebackers in college football, per PFF). He grabbed five passes defensed in 2020, adding 95 tackles, eight tackles for a loss, and two sacks in 10 games. He’s a high-effort player whose intensity is contagious to his teammates.
Bolton is undersized and lacks length for the position, a variable that sometimes shows up when he slips off tackles or fails to wrap up. He could struggle matching up against taller tight ends in man coverage. And while he has the athleticism to flow with the ball, he’s not a true burner with elite speed.

WHY HE COULD RISE
Bolton is a souped-up ball of energy at the linebacker position, flying around the field and laying big hits on opponents. His instincts are outstanding.

WHY HE COULD FALL
His lack of size and length could be a factor for some teams.

Ringer mock up today. Has the Bills going with LB Nick Bolton from Missouri at 30. I've never heard of the dude since I don't watch other bad teams due to Syracuse being enough bad college football for me.

BUFFALO BILLS
With Matt Milano scheduled for free agency, Buffalo could stand to add some youth and talent to the linebacker spot opposite Tremaine Edmunds. Bolton is a rangy, athletic, and hard-hitting ’backer who could contribute both in base and nickel looks for the Bills.

SCOUTING REPORT
Bolton is a compact, muscled-up linebacker with coverage instincts and a ferocious demeanor against the run. The Tigers star brings explosive burst when coming downhill, slicing through the line to hit the ballcarrier for a loss. He’s savvy at keying blockers and has good field vision, showing anticipation to slip through gaps in the line. He blows up stretch runs and outside zone looks, and is made of cement as a hitter, regularly sending opponents flying off their feet. He always looks to separate the football from the ballcarrier.
Bolton has strong instincts when patrolling the second level in coverage. The second-team All-American is comfortable dropping back into zone looks (he tallied eight forced incompletions in 2019, tied for second among linebackers in college football, per PFF). He grabbed five passes defensed in 2020, adding 95 tackles, eight tackles for a loss, and two sacks in 10 games. He’s a high-effort player whose intensity is contagious to his teammates.
Bolton is undersized and lacks length for the position, a variable that sometimes shows up when he slips off tackles or fails to wrap up. He could struggle matching up against taller tight ends in man coverage. And while he has the athleticism to flow with the ball, he’s not a true burner with elite speed.

WHY HE COULD RISE
Bolton is a souped-up ball of energy at the linebacker position, flying around the field and laying big hits on opponents. His instincts are outstanding.

WHY HE COULD FALL

Would be a fine pick although I wonder if they want to add more youth to the offensive side of the ball in this draft instead of the defense. I could see them signing an affordable vet to take Milano's spot and using the 1st on WR/TE/RB

BUFFALO BILLS

SCOUTING REPORT

WHY HE COULD RISE

WHY HE COULD FALL
Sounds a lot like... Matt Milano :rolleyes: