Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread | Page 114 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

The Bills defense is why they went undefeated in December. The offense is actually worse since the OC change.

It's less efficient than before but there's more creativity and purpose in the playcalling. If they can get the deep ball working consistently, the offense will be fine IMO.
EPA is worse, Completion % is under 60%, and Allen has as many interceptions as touchdowns in the winning streak.

They haven’t given up over 200 yards passing in 7 of the last 8 games. The talk should really be about how much the defense has improved.

The Bills defense is why they went undefeated in December. The offense is actually worse since the OC change.

I think the QB is hurt-er

They really can't get the ball down-field, don't think it's a fair comparison

I think the QB is hurt-er

They really can't get the ball down-field, don't think it's a fair comparison
He did overthrow Diggs by about 10 yards when Diggs had Ramsey completely cooked. I’m sure he’s beat up, but so are a bunch of other QB’s entering the playoffs.

He did overthrow Diggs by about 10 yards when Diggs had Ramsey completely cooked. I’m sure he’s beat up, but so are a bunch of other QB’s entering the playoffs.

He's missed a number of deep balls the past month or so. Has also had some unfortunate drops that would have been massive plays (Cook in the endzone last night for one).

He's missed a number of deep balls the past month or so. Has also had some unfortunate drops that would have been massive plays (Cook in the endzone last night for one).
For sure. I just keep reading the OC was some magical change. He did get Cook going. I’ll give Brady credit there, but mostly it’s been the defense that’s been downright dominant especially against the pass since the Philly game.

It's less efficient than before but there's more creativity and purpose in the playcalling. If they can get the deep ball working consistently, the offense will be fine IMO.
or if a certain RB doesn't drop easy td passes or if we had a receiver number two more consistent than Gabe Davis.

The offense actually seems to have a plan beyond force it to diggs... they run first and do a bunch of RPO off of establishing the run game. This is the opposite of Dorsey who ran off of establishing the pass. I think this is much more sustainable given the skillset of this team. Again yesterday would have been a blowout but for a handful of execution errors.

He’s been missing the deep ones all season. He’s had a good season in the short and intermediate but taken a step back in reading defenses IMO and a major step back in the deep ball accuracy.

Bottom line- you can't let worse teams stick around. If we screw up early on Sunday you better believe it's going to be a close game. That's what happens with this team. It's clear as day early on what type of game it's going to be. Score first, get the ball back, and put the hammer down. Yesterday that's what it looked like from the start until Allen went no look and turned it over. WE are the ones that change the complexion of these games.

Can't let that happen on Sunday.

For sure. I just keep reading the OC was some magical change. He did get Cook going. I’ll give Brady credit there, but mostly it’s been the defense that’s been downright dominant especially against the pass since the Philly game.

The offense has still been an issue since the OC change and appears to be a number of factors.

Allen continuing to turn over the ball is a massive problem. Now some of them he gets a bad wrap on. That 1st one yesterday he and Davis were not on the same page and whether Josh saw it wrong or Davis ran the wrong route that can't happen there, at worst you get a FG there. The second pick was just Allen trying to make something happen on 4th down. He missed Kincaid at the snap so after that there wasn't much there and he couldn't run for it.

The Bills really need a #2 Wr. Davis is just to hit or miss and is seemingly never on the same page with Josh. Shakir is coming along but Harty despite the great return last night has been non-existent in the slot. Bills really need to bring 2-3 receivers this FA/Draft period.

The other that was mentioned and that I think is accurate is that this offense is just lost or makes terrible mistakes for long extended periods. Just looks completely out of sync at times and then receivers start dropping balls, Josh is missing wide open guys or the OL is letting a ton of pressure. Play calling under Brady has been better but also uneven. Something will be working and then we will either get away from it or pound it into the ground. The tush push yesterday is a great example, can't run that 30 times a game. Its 4th and 1, go shogun and spread everyone out and then let Allen run or his Harty on a quick jet sweep, quick hitter with Cook and Fournette both in the backfield, a mis-direction play, naked boot. etc. Would also be nice if this team would run an actual screen once or twice a season.

Bottom line- you can't let worse teams stick around. If we screw up early on Sunday you better believe it's going to be a close game. That's what happens with this team. It's clear as day early on what type of game it's going to be. Score first, get the ball back, and put the hammer down. Yesterday that's what it looked like from the start until Allen went no look and turned it over. WE are the ones that change the complexion of these games.

Can't let that happen on Sunday.

There's zero doubt in my mind Pittsburgh will have us in a rock fight on Sunday, zero. Watt being out will help but its so hard to trust this team to just blow a team out which is odd because that's all they did pretty much the last few years.

The offense has still been an issue since the OC change and appears to be a number of factors.

Allen continuing to turn over the ball is a massive problem. Now some of them he gets a bad wrap on. That 1st one yesterday he and Davis were not on the same page and whether Josh saw it wrong or Davis ran the wrong route that can't happen there, at worst you get a FG there. The second pick was just Allen trying to make something happen on 4th down. He missed Kincaid at the snap so after that there wasn't much there and he couldn't run for it.

The Bills really need a #2 Wr. Davis is just to hit or miss and is seemingly never on the same page with Josh. Shakir is coming along but Harty despite the great return last night has been non-existent in the slot. Bills really need to bring 2-3 receivers this FA/Draft period.

The other that was mentioned and that I think is accurate is that this offense is just lost or makes terrible mistakes for long extended periods. Just looks completely out of sync at times and then receivers start dropping balls, Josh is missing wide open guys or the OL is letting a ton of pressure. Play calling under Brady has been better but also uneven. Something will be working and then we will either get away from it or pound it into the ground. The tush push yesterday is a great example, can't run that 30 times a game. Its 4th and 1, go shogun and spread everyone out and then let Allen run or his Harty on a quick jet sweep, quick hitter with Cook and Fournette both in the backfield, a mis-direction play, naked boot. etc. Would also be nice if this team would run an actual screen once or twice a season.

Honestly, I thought everything on the offense was more or less fine yesterday, minus the turnovers. That game was a blowout without the turnovers. Had nearly 500 yards of offense. 26 first downs. Dominated time of possession. Only punted once. Not sure what more you can ask out of the offense other than protect the damn ball and make sure you put points on the board.

There's zero doubt in my mind Pittsburgh will have us in a rock fight on Sunday, zero. Watt being out will help but its so hard to trust this team to just blow a team out which is odd because that's all they did pretty much the last few years.
for sure, I don't expect anything other than a close game with a couple plays in the 4th quarter determining who wins or loses. Sure, they could play a game like they have 2-3 times this year and blow them out but the other 14 games prove otherwise. The Bills should win but I highly doubt it's much more than a single score game either way. It's who they are and they continue to show that week in and week out. Can Josh have a game with no turnovers? maybe just 1? I am not very confident.

Honestly, I thought everything on the offense was more or less fine yesterday, minus the turnovers. That game was a blowout without the turnovers. Had nearly 500 yards of offense. 26 first downs. Dominated time of possession. Only punted once. Not sure what more you can ask out of the offense other than protect the damn ball and make sure you put points on the board.
yes but it's not just one game it's the vast majority of them. Team is what it is. They can't win the next 3 games playing like they have almost all year. It simply won't happen. Not sure, they have that in them at this point. If Josh can stop turning it over and he can complete a couple deep balls the sky is the limit.

They can beat Pittsburgh but I think that will be about it unless they clean up the offense

Allen 4th in the league in passing yds? 4th in the league as a team in total offense

Diggs is solid but not a home run hitter only on occasion.. if you had hill/lamb/brown as the #1 those extra yds he probably lead the league in passing yds

the INTs kill the perception.. too many forced throws.

But even that, the 2 last night dont get thrown and his 16 is right there with Tua/Mahommes/Hurts/Lawerence at 14-15..

a couple more isnt the killer . No red zone ones until last night..

Led league in TDs passing/rushing.. About what you want the QB to do, is score.

If you dont gift Pitt scores they dont do much on offense unless they break a huge play. they give up yds not pts..

I was saying this to someone last night... how does THIS team lose to the Broncos, Pats, Jets? Jags loss is somewhat acceptable given the London nonsense and the crazy injuries. Bengals own the Bills. Eagles game shoulda coulda been a win if a certain RB doesn't drop an EASY TD pass. This is a 14-3/15-2 team masquerading as a 11-6 team. What's even crazier is in how many of those games they had the lead with <2mins to go.

But as Belichek says you are who your record says you are.
It was parcels who said that first
As far as our record vs various caliber teams, it’s because our performance is essentially independent of the opponent and more directly related to how Allen is playing that day. Allen’s performance isn’t really determined by the opposition.

EPA is worse, Completion % is under 60%, and Allen has as many interceptions as touchdowns in the winning streak.

They haven’t given up over 200 yards passing in 7 of the last 8 games. The talk should really be about how much the defense has improved.

I like EPA but it's not an end all be all stat. Completion % is down partially due to drops. Turnovers have been an issue but it's more because of Allen taking a lot risky throws which he will always do.

It's both ok to say the OC changed worked but acknowledge the defensive improvement is the biggest reason why the Bills turned it around.

yes but it's not just one game it's the vast majority of them. Team is what it is. They can't win the next 3 games playing like they have almost all year. It simply won't happen. Not sure, they have that in them at this point. If Josh can stop turning it over and he can complete a couple deep balls the sky is the limit.

They can beat Pittsburgh but I think that will be about it unless they clean up the offense

I was speaking specifically to criticisms of the offense yesterday. If they don’t turn it over three times and come up with no points at the end of the half, there wasn’t really anything else to complain about.

It was parcels who said that first
As far as our record vs various caliber teams, it’s because our performance is essentially independent of the opponent and more directly related to how Allen is playing that day. Allen’s performance isn’t really determined by the opposition.
that's a great point... John Elway junior needs to mature into the John Elway who won two super bowls in a row. I really think this could be the Bills year if Josh sharpens up a little... all of the pieces are there. Of course they could lose to Pittsburgh on a last minute Mason Rudolph drive for a FG so what do I know.

I was speaking specifically to criticisms of the offense yesterday. If they don’t turn it over three times and come up with no points at the end of the half, there wasn’t really anything else to complain about.

My points were more about the season as a whole. Yesterday Buffalo pretty much moved the ball at will but what you listed - turning it over three times and no pionts at the half go with the same issues that have haunted Buffalo this year ie Dropped TD, no points at despite being in the RZ, multiple turnovers and in my own opinion going to the tush push to much on that last drive.

I do think overall the O looked pretty good especially getting others involved in the passing game. Still dont love that toss play or stretch run inside the 10 that never ever works but I thought Brady overall called a great game.

My points were more about the season as a whole. Yesterday Buffalo pretty much moved the ball at will but what you listed - turning it over three times and no pionts at the half go with the same issues that have haunted Buffalo this year ie Dropped TD, no points at despite being in the RZ, multiple turnovers and in my own opinion going to the tush push to much on that last drive.

I do think overall the O looked pretty good especially getting others involved in the passing game. Still dont love that toss play or stretch run inside the 10 that never ever works but I thought Brady overall called a great game.

For sure, I’m not dismissing the turnovers nor how the offense has looked many times throughout the year. Unfortunately, turnovers/offensive inconsistently will likely ultimately be the death of this team.

How is this not a bigger story?

I saw police cars race by with their sirens on, but had no idea what had happened. For all the ridicule and shade directed at Bills fans, this type of thing would never happen at a Bills home game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom