Buffalo Sabres | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Sabres

After last year we’re going to have to wait for awhile to really let loose and believe they’re good.

Kruger is just such a breath of fresh air compared to Housley tho. Feels right.

I'm in the same boat. Just hoping that I'm still looking forward to watching games on Center Ice come December. 0-6 on that happening since I left WNY.

After last year we’re going to have to wait for awhile to really let loose and believe they’re good.

Kruger is just such a breath of fresh air compared to Housley tho. Feels right.

There were a ton of red flags they were the 2011 Bills last year.

Nifty little pass from Miller to set up the winner. I want this team to be for real so bad.

Second time Miller's used the threat of his shot to set up Johansson for a wide open rip.

Two great off season signings.

They basically swapped Tage, Pommer & Berglund for Johansson and Goalofsson up front.

And Beaulieu/Hunwick/Nelson/Pilut for Miller.

Edit - they're a fun team to watch. How many times in recent years have you turned a game off in the second period because they've looked like a collection of traffic cones standing in their D zone while the opponent possesses the puck for 20 minutes (and scores 3 goals).

Kyle Okposo with 2 pretty helpers - to Larsson & Scandella!!

Casey Mittlestadt with a nasty backhand roofer to close out the shootout.

And Ullmark with another strong game.

Kept it rollin, lads.

I'll be that guy - that's 2 games in a row (at home, no less), where we've squandered 2-goal 3rd period leads. Thrilled to bank the Ws, but I figure that we will be fighting with teams like Florida and Montreal for playoff berths.

While I'm pissing in the punchbowl, is Vesey going to show up?

I'll be that guy - that's 2 games in a row (at home, no less), where we've squandered 2-goal 3rd period leads. Thrilled to bank the Ws, but I figure that we will be fighting with teams like Florida and Montreal for playoff berths.

Right. No sweat if it's Tampa or a Western team but those are the last two teams you want to be giving points.
I see what everyone means with Risto. Guy just loses the puck under zero pressure and it leads to a what seemed like 12minute PK. What.
Good to see that last line doing some things though.

Thought Vesey played okay in the opener but agree he’s been invisible since.

Hoping the blown leads have more to do with starting the season with 5 games in 8 days.

I know that we're up 3-0, but we look horrible in the defensive zone for the 2nd straight game.

Another fun game. Damn posts killed us in OT.

Another fun game. Damn posts killed us in OT.

Honestly, I thought that we played like garbage for about the last 30:00 of regulation. IMO, we were lucky to even get to OT. Didn't think we played well in Detroit, either.

How many 2-0 leads have we given up so far this year? I can count at least 5 OTOH - Montreal, SJ, Florida, Anaheim, tonight. Dallas was probably the last game I thought the team played well.

Honestly, I thought that we played like garbage for about the last 30:00 of regulation. IMO, we were lucky to even get to OT. Didn't think we played well in Detroit, either.

How many 2-0 leads have we given up so far this year? I can count at least 5 OTOH - Montreal, SJ, Florida, Anaheim, tonight. Dallas was probably the last game I thought the team played well.

so i had buffalo as the second leg of my two team parlay...had golden nights from last night as the first leg.
needless to say, when buffalo was up 2-0 in the first period, i was all but cashing my chips in. then they lay a freaking turd of turds to a team thats been on the road forever. inexcusable garbage.

Wouldn't say I love the moves, but I like them. Simmonds was one of my favorite players in the league about 5 years ago. Still a 2nd line C & RW from being relevant.

Wouldn't say I love the moves, but I like them. Simmonds was one of my favorite players in the league about 5 years ago. Still a 2nd line C & RW from being relevant.

Not sure what they were doing getting Simmonds. He is a UFA and the Sabres are not a playoff team. That being said the cost was only a 5th rounder so really no loss. Only risk is that he is not that happy coming to Buffalo since he was expecting to go to a playoff contender.

The big Buffalo problem is Jeff Skinner. He has a $9M cap hit until 2027, (7 more years!!) and he currently has 21 points in 52 games. This has the potential to be the worst contract in the history of the NHL Cap era.

Not sure what they were doing getting Simmonds. He is a UFA and the Sabres are not a playoff team. That being said the cost was only a 5th rounder so really no loss. Only risk is that he is not that happy coming to Buffalo since he was expecting to go to a playoff contender.

The big Buffalo problem is Jeff Skinner. He has a $9M cap hit until 2027, (7 more years!!) and he currently has 21 points in 52 games. This has the potential to be the worst contract in the history of the NHL Cap era.

Anything is possible, but there are so many horrible deals that've been signed - Clarkson, Finger, Phaneuf, Leino, etc.

Skinner is in a funk this year, and for whatever reason, Krueger won't play him with Eichel. Making matters worse is that the Sabres don't have a legit 2nd line Center. But Skinner is a proven scorer...I'm confident that he'll bounce back next season and pot 30.

Anything is possible, but there are so many horrible deals that've been signed - Clarkson, Finger, Phaneuf, Leino, etc.

Skinner is in a funk this year, and for whatever reason, Krueger won't play him with Eichel. Making matters worse is that the Sabres don't have a legit 2nd line Center. But Skinner is a proven scorer...I'm confident that he'll bounce back next season and pot 30.

Clarkson was on LTIR for part of it I think which helped it move through a good part of the contract (I think)
Finger was a a 4 year contract at less than $4 million...terrible but you could work around it.
Phaneuf is a candidate but even he was not that far off from a $7 million player for a few years. It was also over in 2 less years.
For the Canadiens (the team I cheer for) there was the Gomez contract. Not as bad as Skinner's, but I think it ended up worse because we traded actual decent assets to get that contract as he was alrady declining.

None of those contracts have the hit or term of Skinner, so IF he does not turn it around too much it probably hurts more. But as you said he could turn it around.

EDIT - Free Agent Busts: The Worst Free Agent Signings in NHL History

The Rangers seemed to make some really bad deals. They had the beenfit of being aboe to bury them without a cap consequence, but can't do that anymore

Last edited:

Some talk if the NHL isn't able to restart the season and the cap remains flat next year that teams may be given 1 buyout that will not count against the cap. Been debating with friends who you go with. Okposo would seem like the initial answer at 3 for $18m left on his deal but I'm definitely dumping Skinner. He would have 7 for $63m left on his deal that already looks horrific. They essentially had the same production this year with Skinner at 23 pts in 59 games with a -22 and Okposo at 19 pts in 52 games but only -3. If Skinner's deal was where it should've been around $7m a year then I think it is a bit more tolerable but at 9, you can't be having a guy who's floor is what we saw this year.

Clarkson was on LTIR for part of it I think which helped it move through a good part of the contract (I think)
Finger was a a 4 year contract at less than $4 million...terrible but you could work around it.
Phaneuf is a candidate but even he was not that far off from a $7 million player for a few years. It was also over in 2 less years.
For the Canadiens (the team I cheer for) there was the Gomez contract. Not as bad as Skinner's, but I think it ended up worse because we traded actual decent assets to get that contract as he was alrady declining.

None of those contracts have the hit or term of Skinner, so IF he does not turn it around too much it probably hurts more. But as you said he could turn it around.

EDIT - Free Agent Busts: The Worst Free Agent Signings in NHL History

The Rangers seemed to make some really bad deals. They had the beenfit of being aboe to bury them without a cap consequence, but can't do that anymore
Gomez was worse. That McDonagh trade haunted us for years. Pairing him with Markov would have been one of the best pairings in the league for years... man that hurts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom