Bye, bye bowl games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bye, bye bowl games

Wasn’t directing that at you, specifically. More just the general narrative I keep hearing about non-playoff bowls.

And they clearly aren’t the same. But still a net-positive for those involved imo.

My bad. I get what you were saying. I think we’re talking about the same thing but with different “ideas” but have the same thoughts. I completely agree with the net positive, especially for the local community. Which is part of the reason it’s sad the long term trajectory for the bowls (other than the playoffs) doesn’t seem to be trending towards a positive outcome. Hopefully I’m wrong. Without bowls, it takes a huge key of “why watch all season” away for the casual fan for most teams. IMO.

I think bowl season is awesome and it’s a nice reward for the players and fans. I’ll never understand fans who think we (or they) are above lower bowls.

As we keep moving closer to the NFL model this is one of the remaining things that make FBS football distinct. Not to mention it extends the entire season a month and makes for plenty of good games around Christmas time.

With on demand and 24x7 everything sports, bowl games have declined in my household.
We’ll watch NFL Christmas with family, but that’s about all.

I think bowl season is awesome and it’s a nice reward for the players and fans. I’ll never understand fans who think we (or they) are above lower bowls.

As we keep moving closer to the NFL model this is one of the remaining things that make FBS football distinct. Not to mention it extends the entire season a month and makes for plenty of good games around Christmas time.

I used to love Bowls and wouldn't even think of missing a Bowl SU played in. But there are a few things that have changed that for me.

1. The playoffs make the Bowls less meaningful. That will be even worse with the 12 team playoff.

2. Opt outs, including coaches. This has been happening for a half dozen years now and it stinks not seeing the teams you watched all year long. It has gotten worse recently making the games glorified scrimmages.

3. Over saturation. There are too many Bowls now, which defeats the sense of accomplishment in making one.

At the end of the day, they are still fun for the players and many fans. The majority of players are not going pro. They get to take a free trip somewhere, get some gifts, play another game. Local area makes some money, stadiums get used an extra day. It’s really still a win-win, regardless if they mean much or not. (I mean, ask the USF players and fans in Boca if that was meaningless to them…)

Ask the SU players if it was meaningful to them.

With sports betting being legal now I can only assume that bowl games will continue to draw eyeballs around the country. Football and gambling are a marriage made in heaven.

But would you bet on a bowl not knowing who will be playing or how much they care?

It was. Ask them if they would have rather sat home. They enjoyed the trip, hated game result. It happens. They like to play football and go places. This is not even a question.

Were they as focused on winning that game as USF was?

Clearly didn’t play well. Outmanned and out- coached. They still wanted to go to a bowl. Shrader didn’t kill himself trying to help make a bowl because the players don’t care. You think they came to Syracuse thinking national title playoffs or bust? Get out of here. 90% of D1 players will never play in a playoff or go pro (probably even a higher percentage TBH). This is meaningful and the last hurrah before their football career is over. Utter nonsense if you think these players don’t care about getting to or playing in bowls. Especially the huge majority of players going to teams who are not playoff contenders.

"At the end of the day, they are still fun for the players and many fans."

finish 11th in your division and think you deserve a bowl game ? right. didn't look like the players or fans had "fun"

Your focusing on our worst
Ask the SU players if it was meaningful to them.
This year was a strange year, we had about as many distractions as a team could have. Usually we play hard and have good ( at least competitive results)

But would you bet on a bowl not knowing who will be playing or how much they care?
I get that it’s a different vibe, but yeah I’ll be betting on bowl games.

"At the end of the day, they are still fun for the players and many fans."

finish 11th in your division and think you deserve a bowl game ? right. didn't look like the players or fans had "fun"
Apologies. Next time we’ll all have to check with you beforehand before accepting/traveling to a bowl to make sure we deserve it. Move it along, buddy.

Your focusing on our worst

This year was a strange year, we had about as many distractions as a team could have. Usually we play hard and have good ( at least competitive results)
competitive ? we played 6 teams with winning records and got blown out by 5 of them. the exception being colgate who went 6-5 in the patriot. often the games were over at the half. what did i miss ?
and thanks to that prime time thrashing we finish sub 500 also. great time had by all.

Last edited:
I used to love Bowls and wouldn't even think of missing a Bowl SU played in. But there are a few things that have changed that for me.

1. The playoffs make the Bowls less meaningful. That will be even worse with the 12 team playoff.

2. Opt outs, including coaches. This has been happening for a half dozen years now and it stinks not seeing the teams you watched all year long. It has gotten worse recently making the games glorified scrimmages.

3. Over saturation. There are too many Bowls now, which defeats the sense of accomplishment in making one.
I guess I don't get how the playoff makes the bowls less meaningful. If everything just boils down to who has a chance to win a national championship, the objective of the playoff, then only or 2-3 bowls were ever meaningful in a given year, and that was pre-BCS.

I think they're less meaningful now than ever, but that's because of opt outs and the portal, not the playoff. The meaning used to be one last competition against a fun opponent. Now that rosters are so depleted, that's not usually what happens.

competitive ? we played 6 teams with winning records and got blown out by 5 of them. the exception being colgate who went 6-5 in the patriot. often the games were over at the half. what did i miss ?
and thanks to that prime time thrashing we finish sub 500 also. great time had by all.
So, you're viewing this year's bowl game as the norm?

I’m enjoying watching the games today. As long as the ratings are good and the organizing committee makes some money, then they’ll be around.

If you don’t like them, don’t watch them. Plenty of people do, and do.

At the end of the day, they are still fun for the players and many fans. The majority of players are not going pro. They get to take a free trip somewhere, get some gifts, play another game. Local area makes some money, stadiums get used an extra day. It’s really still a win-win, regardless if they mean much or not. (I mean, ask the USF players and fans in Boca if that was meaningless to them…)
I’m with you I’ve been to a few bowl games and loved every minute of the experience. The Camping World Bowl was a whole lot of fun, and I met and tailgated with some people I would have never met otherwise, including you and your wife. The win against WVU was the icing on the cake

Players should get a piece of the post season pie.

Players should get a piece of the post season pie.
If that were the case... I guarantee the bowls would take on an added significance. Also, if they could somehow figure into the overall playoff picture (without extending the season too much).

With the playoffs coming and the tendency of players to skip bowls, the bowl system is a waste of time. There's so much money involved for the players that it needs to go the way of all-star games. For instance, why would a LQA risk getting hurt when his whole team is basically in the portal.
I hope you're wrong.

I like watching the games.

It gives me the chance to travel to a nice location such as Boca Raton.

And, I would like to think that the players would enjoy the travel, the events and the swag.

What moves the needle for me:

Wednesday: The Holiday Bowl, a little.
Thursday: The Alamo Bowl. This is what a bowl game used to be like.
Friday: The Cotton Bowl. Why isn't it on New Year's Day, like it always used to be?
Saturday: The Peach Bowl and the Orange Bowl. " " " "
Monday: The Fiesta Bowl and the two Semi-Finals: the Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl.
I hope all the key players will be playing. A couple more of these will part of the playoffs next year.

The rest of time: basketball, TCM and Netflix.