Class of 2022 - C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered

first to offer and his coach even mentions JB praising the kids abilities that he noticed early on. I say stay on this kid hard!!

“But what he’s done recently is work on his range. He’s shooting the 3 fairly well for a guy his size. His passing ability for a guy that young, like [Jim] Boeheim was saying when he first saw him last year, out of double-teams is unparalleled. It’s better than most bigs at the college level now.

He's like Craig Forth crossed with one of those Kansas big men.

I would like to see Donovan Clingan play for Syracuse. I have to wonder what coaching Syracuse has to offer him to improve his skills. Their big man coach is Allen Griffin who played guard. I like to see this kid become a dominant force not (again like another poster stated) another Craig Forth (who was a steady player for the NCAA 2003 champions). Syracuse needs to have a big man coach that can help Donovan prepare for a future in the NBA. By the way, Syracuse has been missing this coach since Bernie Fine was removed.

I would like to see Donovan Clingan play for Syracuse. I have to wonder what coaching Syracuse has to offer him to improve his skills. Their big man coach is Allen Griffin who played guard. I like to see this kid become a dominant force not (again like another poster stated) another Craig Forth (who was a steady player for the NCAA 2003 champions). Syracuse needs to have a big man coach that can help Donovan prepare for a future in the NBA. By the way, Syracuse has been missing this coach since Bernie Fine was removed.
So we need a big man coach that has never played college hoops like Bernie?

So we need a big man coach that has never played college hoops like Bernie?
We need a college coach who is proven and experienced in coaching big men.

Mike Hopkins wasn’t a good big man coach? Tired of this nauseating subject.
I swear people come here and copy and paste posts from prior weeks because sometimes it’s legit the same ole .

“UConn, Syracuse and Michigan State are recruiting me really hard,” Clingan said Monday.

“I’m UConn’s No. 1 recruit, one of Syracuse top recruits and also one of Michigan State’s top recruits.”

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo speaks with Clingan three times a week. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has said Clingan could start for the Orange “now.” UConn coach Dan Hurley has made Clingan a huge in-state priority as the Huskies return to the Big East.

“But what he’s done recently is work on his range. He’s shooting the 3 fairly well for a guy his size. His passing ability for a guy that young, like [Jim] Boeheim was saying when he first saw him last year, out of double-teams is unparalleled. It’s better than most bigs at the college level now.

“His passing ability and his ability to play inside and out is phenomenal for a kid that’s only 16 years old.”

UConn is still the team to beat I think. But we were his first big time offer. Mac has said he wants to play the 4 in college

Bernie Fine was a team manager.

Who coached several Syracuse big men well at the center position.
And more that didn't. The point is that you can't complain that a coach was a guard and than turn around and say we need someone who was a manager. That doesn't make sense. I'm certainly not against having a former big man coach our big men. But a guard can certainly do it as well. Some of the best big man coaches are rather small.

Last edited:
And more that didn't. The point is that you can't complain that a coach was a guard and than turn around and say we need someone who was a manager. That doesn't make sense. I'm certainly not against having a former big man coach a our big men. But a guard can certainly do it as well. Some of the best big man coaches are rather small.

Pete Newell may be THE all-time great Big Man trainer/teacher.
His legendary Big Man Camp helped literally hundreds of players improve & refine their games.

Like so:
Yet, quite possibly the most important legacy that Newell will leave behind is the Big Man's camp he created in 1976. It all started by word of mouth after teams saw the dramatic improvement of Kermit Washington, whom Newell was working with Washington.

Just some of the names that have been through the camp include Andrew Bynum, Jermaine O'Neal, Shaquille O'Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon, Sam Perkins, James Worthy, Bill Walton, and countless others.

On a side note, when Newell was working with Bynum, he was the sprightly age of 89 years old.

I recently read in an article (that I can't find at the moment) that Newell had ties to an estimated 250 NBA players. Think about that for a moment; 250 men that have played in the NBA!

Pete Newell was 6'2".

And more that didn't. The point is that you can't complain that a coach was a guard and than turn around and say we need someone who was a manager. That doesn't make sense. I'm certainly not against having a former big man coach a our big men. But a guard can certainly do it as well. Some of the best big man coaches are rather small.
Coaching and playing are two different animals. You can be good at one and not the other a la Danny Manning. Bernie was a decent big man coach for us no matter his antecedents, or character flaws.

Coaching and playing are two different animals. You can be good at one and not the other a la Danny Manning. Bernie was a decent big man coach for us no matter his antecedents, or character flaws.

Debatable [even setting aside his antecedents / character flaws]. The main value he brought to the table was that JB was comfortable with him. IMO, as a coach he's overrated by a segment of our fanbase.

FACT: Syracuse offered 8 months before UConn even though he’s in Hurley’s backyard.

Stop spreading DH’s propaganda Jacob
Exactly. I think many kids and parents can see through Hurley’s desperation and phoniness and many are turned off by his manic personality. JB is real and so is our staff. I think lots of recruits and parents appreciate that.

I didn't say he wasn't. What I said was that and you just basically said the same thing, because someone was a guard doesn't mean they can't coach big men. That was what I was replying to.

Darryl Watkins and Terrence Roberts were two of our highest rated recruits in the past 20 years and they didn't exactly improve their skill set that much under Fine. Pretty much were the same players the entire time here.

Darryl Watkins and Terrence Roberts were two of our highest rated recruits in the past 20 years and they didn't exactly improve their skill set that much under Fine. Pretty much were the same players the entire time here.
You realize the same argument can be made the other direction right? You’re spit balling two players but there’s also big men we’ve had who have improved greatly under the coaching of small coaches.

You realize the same argument can be made the other direction right? You’re spit balling two players but there’s also big men we’ve had who have improved greatly under the coaching of small coaches.

Yes, that was kind of the point. He wasn't some miracle worker. Each player kind of improves based on their own ability and work ethic.

Who the hell do people think is going to be hired to coach bigs anyway? We only hire from the family and have only had a handful of good 5s in the past 30 years. Guess that changes if we count 4s but those don't really count in our system on O or D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom