Class of 2022 - C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered

How in the ever loving frick is this still a thing? This is the broken record of all broken records on here.

Debatable [even setting aside his antecedents / character flaws]. The main value he brought to the table was that JB was comfortable with him. IMO, as a coach he's overrated by a segment of our fanbase.
And underrated/denigrated by other segments.

Hurleys a fraud...his act will end in a disaster there
I wish for this to be true as much as any poster - but what are you basing this opinion on? He seems to be turning that program in the right direction with a few nice recruits. They were much better at the end of the year than they were in the beginning. His sideline demeanor seems like he's crazy - but you can say that about a lot of successful coach's. Don't get me wrong, I hope it becomes a trainwreck in Storrs. It doesn't seem to be headed in that direction - yet!

And underrated/denigrated by other segments.
Nah. Judging from this thread and past ones on this topic, it seems that most correctly view him as an okay coach, adequate but nothing special. But not the big man guru some assert.

Last edited:
I wish for this to be true as much as any poster - but what are you basing this opinion on? He seems to be turning that program in the right direction with a few nice recruits. They were much better at the end of the year than they were in the beginning. His sideline demeanor seems like he's crazy - but you can say that about a lot of successful coach's. Don't get me wrong, I hope it becomes a trainwreck in Storrs. It doesn't seem to be headed in that direction - yet!

cant coach offense worth a damn and his empty promises to recruits will blow up in the near future. He burns out quickly and will look for greener pastures even if he does have success.

cant coach offense worth a damn and his empty promises to recruits will blow up in the near future. He burns out quickly and will look for greener pastures even if he does have success.
I hope you’re correct. As a devils advocate I will point out that many people on this board have a low opinion of JB’s offensive schemes and he’s still around.
I think Clingan is going to be tough to pry away from CT. I would love to see him in Orange though. I think he will be special.

And more that didn't. The point is that you can't complain that a coach was a guard and than turn around and say we need someone who was a manager. That doesn't make sense. I'm certainly not against having a former big man coach our big men. But a guard can certainly do it as well. Some of the best big man coaches are rather small.
I was not blaming Griffin for being a guard. It does not seem that he has experience in developing big men. Can see how you misinterpreted my post. It is not a slam against Coach Griffin.

I didn't say he wasn't. What I said was that and you just basically said the same thing, because someone was a guard doesn't mean they can't coach big men. That was what I was replying to.
Does not mean they can either, the proof is in the results.

You realize the same argument can be made the other direction right? You’re spit balling two players but there’s also big men we’ve had who have improved greatly under the coaching of small coaches.
Look at the improvement Etan Thomas made for one

Does not mean they can either, the proof is in the results.
Fine. I wasn't making a judgement either way. The poster alluded that we needed a real big man coach. He mentioned Bernie Fine. Bernie was a team manager. I wouldn't say that a former team manager couldn't be a big man coach. I wouldn't say that a guard couldn't be a big man coach. Or that a big man would make a good big man coach. It depends on the man. And how good a coach that man is. The proof is in the results.

Donovan Clingan is tall and very good at basketball. Syracuse should continue to recruit him for the center position.
QQNPM3K6IRALHP5452AKNJAESQ.jpg

Look at the improvement Etan Thomas made for one
And Conrad M made almost no improvement. I could never understand how he wasn't taught a baby hook.

The big jump he made between freshman and sophomore year was attributable to Louis Orr doing one-on-one work with him every day after practice. Fortunately, Eran's work ethic matched his elite physical tools.
Would you say Louis Orr was a good big man coach because he played Forward or because he was a good coach?

Would you say Louis Orr was a good big man coach because he played Forward or because he was a good coach?

Louis Orr coached the forwards here, not the centers.

However, Etan was so raw, that Orr would work with him individually after each practice that freshman year, to instill basic fundamentals that Etan was completely unaware of. Orr being 6-9 was useful in that regard, because not only could he demonstrate the techniques, but he could also then defend against them as a similar-sized guy, or have Etan try to guard him while he was showing him a new tactic, to give a feel for what other bigs Etan would have to defend might look to do.

I'm not claiming that someone needs to actually have played center to coach bigs effectively. I was only countering an earlier post attributing all of Etan's development to Bernie. But in this lone example? Sure -- it was useful to have a bigger coach work with the kid at that stage of his developmental curve, and probably much more impactful than Bernie standing there with a broom to simulate shot blocking.

Last edited:
Louis Orr coached the forwards here, not the centers.

However, Etan was so raw, that Orr would work with him individually after each practice that freshman year, to instill basic fundamentals that Etan was completely unaware of. Orr being 6-9 was useful in that regard, because not only could he demonstrate the techniques, but he could also then defend against them as a similar-sized guy, or have Etan try to guard him while he was showing him a new tactic, to give a feel for what other bigs Etan would have to defend might look to do.

I'm not claiming that someone needs to actually have played center to coach bigs effectively. I was only countering an earlier post attributing all of Etan's development to Bernie. But in this lone example? Sure -- it was useful to have a bigger coach work with the kid at that stage of his developmental curve, and probably much more impactful than Bernie standing there with a broom to simulate shot blocking.
When I said an experienced big man coach, I did not mean the coach had to be a former center or power forward. I meant he had to have experience in coaching/developing big men.

Pete Newell may be THE all-time great Big Man trainer/teacher.
His legendary Big Man Camp helped literally hundreds of players improve & refine their games.

Like so:

Pete Newell was 6'2".

yea but 6'2" was a center pack in big pete's day . . .

Nah. Judging from this thread and past ones on this topic, it seems that most correctly view him as an okay coach, adequate but nothing special. But not the big man guru some assert.

I mentioned before his experience with bigs is non existent. Small ball coach his whole career. Clingan is not a recruit he can point to a coaching success of his past to sell him on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom