Class of 2022 - C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered

If take him, but I really don’t see anything that impressive from him that anybody his size can’t do.

If take him, but I really don’t see anything that impressive from him that anybody his size can’t do.
That’s the thing. There isn’t many 7’1” guys floating around with his feel for the game.

That’s the thing. There isn’t many 7’1” guys floating around with his feel for the game.
My thing is I didn't see anything he did that a 7'1" guy can't do. He just looks like me playing against a bunch of 10 year olds.

My thing is I didn't see anything he did that a 7'1" guy can't do. He just looks like me playing against a bunch of 10 year olds.
That has been the difficulty in evaluating him for both “experts” and amateurs. The pandemic robbed him of a very important AAU season.

If I remember correctly JB offered him after watching him play in person at our elite camp so I’m not really worried about his skill level.

How he handles physicality with dudes closer to his size, maybe. But any kid going from the high school game to college has to make the same adjustment. I don’t think it’s a big deal.

If I remember correctly JB offered him after watching him play in person at our elite camp so I’m not really worried about his skill level.

How he handles physicality with dudes closer to his size, maybe. But any kid going from the high school game to college has to make the same adjustment. I don’t think it’s a big deal.
We’ve offered a lot of guys who don’t pan out.

If Moyer was 7’1” he would have been a great player.
He would have been a worse player if he was 7’1. You don’t get more coordinated when you get taller lol

Size and beef are what we need. He can block out and just reach up for rebounds. Also Imaging him setting a pick at that size? A bit different than MD at 190...

If Moyer was 7’1” he would have been a great player.
Without being 7’1” he was touted by the majority here of being one of the most underrated recruits in the top 100 and possibly a one and done.

it doesn’t matter, when this kid doesn’t come here he’ll be crapped on and then when he doesn’t pan out everyone will say good riddance.

You act like we haven’t seen this dog and pony show literally 20 times a year.

Size and beef are what we need. He can block out and just reach up for rebounds. Also Imaging him setting a pick at that size? A bit different than MD at 190...
Just a bigger body to get in our guards way.

I know we are basing opinions off of cell phone videos cut by parents and coaches but the kid looks legit. I was shocked when some on this board opined they would rather have Mulvey over Clingan. I get the sense that JB loves this kid in a way we haven't seen that often. I have no doubt JB would adapt his offense to get this kid the ball in position to score.

Without being 7’1” he was touted by the majority here of being one of the most underrated recruits in the top 100 and possibly a one and done.

it doesn’t matter, when this kid doesn’t come here he’ll be crapped on and then when he doesn’t pan out everyone will say good riddance.

You act like we haven’t seen this dog and pony show literally 20 times a year.

C'mon.

This guy has parents who are both tall and quality basketball players at the collegiate level, and he's been coached his whole life on the right way to use his size.

Level of competition tells some context, with the gaudy numbers, but it doesn't tell the entire story. In no way am I putting him on the same level as Zion, but there was some of that chatter when he was dunking on 5-11 guys in high school.

This kid has WAY better skills and offensive potential than the majority of the big men we recruit. Not even close. He's also a good rebounder and shot blocker. Clearly evident when you watch this kid play. I'll be shocked if the blue bloods don't eventually start knocking on this kid's door.

C'mon.

This guy has parents who are both tall and quality basketball players at the collegiate level, and he's been coached his whole life on the right way to use his size.

Level of competition tells some context, with the gaudy numbers, but it doesn't tell the entire story. In no way am I putting him on the same level as Zion, but there was some of that chatter when he was dunking on 5-11 guys in high school.

This kid has WAY better skills and offensive potential than the majority of the big men we recruit. Not even close. He's also a good rebounder and shot blocker. Clearly evident when you watch this kid play. I'll be shocked if the blue bloods don't eventually start knocking on this kid's door.
This is legit the same response you have every year to me about a recruit I don’t think is that good mixed in with different personal information about the player that is irrelevant to his game.

Love ya bro, but I see what I see and my track record isn’t bad when it comes to this. I can dig up a plethora of posts like this.

This is legit the same response you have every year to me about a recruit I don’t think is that good mixed in with different personal information about the player that is irrelevant to his game.

Love ya bro, but I see what I see and my track record isn’t bad when it comes to this. I can dig up a plethora of posts like this.

Feel free. I'm not some starry eyed fantasizer about recruit potential. Quite the opposite.

And as a former regular practice attendee, I've always relied more on observation than wishful thinking when it comes to assessing player potential and their physical capabilities.

Even so, I've gotten a few wrong. But I'm not one to do back handsprings over every recruit, and claim that they are going to far outshoot their rankings. There are times when I've reported back to the board from practice observations that players are much better than their rankings [examples -- CJ, Arinze], and also many times over the years when I've said that players were far worse than what I expected, irrespective of how they were rated.

I'm willing to stand by my track record. Feel free to take said observations with a grain of salt or be skeptical of them. Whatevs.

Last edited:
Would absolutely love for this one to happen but...it isn’t. I get there was a recent article and JB and the coaches arent going to “give up” on him since they have been in it since the beginning but they know they are playing major catch up

Would absolutely love for this one to happen but...it isn’t. I get there was a recent article and JB and the coaches arent going to “give up” on him since they have been in it since the beginning but they know they are playing major catch up
With UConn or Michigan?

With UConn or Michigan?
Yes both, plus a few of the bigger bluebloods will step in here. The way Michigan is utilizing Dickerson (Cling is very similar) is intriguing for him. I can't blame him. Sometimes as much as you may be a fan of a program or coach, if their track record on big development is shotty, you don't roll the dice.

Yes both, plus a few of the bigger bluebloods will step in here. The way Michigan is utilizing Dickerson (Cling is very similar) is intriguing for him. I can't blame him. Sometimes as much as you may be a fan of a program or coach, if their track record on big development is shotty, you don't roll the dice.
Yeah, I get the Michigan thing. And Howard was an NBA center, so that has to factor a bit as well.

Yeah, I get the Michigan thing. And Howard was an NBA center, so that has to factor a bit as well.
Yep. My love for Cuse is DEEEEP but if I was a center, I would never come here. Now, If I was a forward or a playmaking guard, omg, I'm surprised more don't run here with the freedom JB gives you (if you get minutes, whole other topic).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom