Class of 2022 - C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered

You know DH is gonna throw everything he has at this kid.
That’s fine, but we offered first in his own backyard, and frankly we have a lot more positives going for us and we offer a realistic (as real as it gets anyways) chance to offer him the opportunity to join a historic class gunning for a title in his freshman year.

there is no chance UConn can offer him that same opportunity.

can you imagine the zone for just a second

Dior and Westry up top with Benny Williams and Jarace Walker protecting the wings with Clingan and his 7’1” frame protecting the paint?

good luck scoring or rebounding against that lineup

That’s fine, but we offered first in his own backyard, and frankly we have a lot more positives going for us and we offer a realistic (as real as it gets anyways) chance to offer him the opportunity to join a historic class gunning for a title in his freshman year.

Dior and Westry up top with Benny Williams and Jarace Walker protecting the wings with Clingan and his 7’1” frame protecting the paint?

With JG3, Kadary, Zion and Anselem on the bench !

The epic meltdown on the boneyard if we somehow landed this kid and Mac... add in a title or two and ...

I do appreciate the optimism. Let's hopefully in the near term lock in one more star for 22 (Chance?) And hopefully that would position us really well for the forwards and big men we would want to round out 21 and possibly 22.

I believe Hurley has been more of a small ball guy his entire coaching career right? I mean he has the big 6-10 kid he played varying minutes but ultimately has been more of an aggressive man to man D with interchangeable guys 1-4 and a token 6-8/6-9 guy in the middle. Akok was a decent rim protector but again was another athlete/wing vs a big man. Very much just a more talented URI. Not sure how a guy like Clingan fits that system of play very well.

So I was looking back and the above is absolutely accurate. Hurley has rarely ever used a true big man. His first year at URI he had a 6-10 kid and then Kuran Iverson in his last couple years there. In both cases they were more "big forwards" than a pivot guy. It was the exact same thing at Wagner for his two year stint.

So you have two guys who like to muck it up in the pivot and get to work and a coach who has zero experience running a system that really emphasizes that skill set. Now we don't use the post every year but JB and company definitely have a lot more experience using a true pivot guy even if it is for defensive purposes and screening.

Last edited:
I believe Hurley has been more of a small ball guy his entire coaching career right? I mean he has the big 6-10 kid he played varying minutes but ultimately has been more of an aggressive man to man D with interchangeable guys 1-4 and a token 6-8/6-9 guy in the middle. Akok was a decent rim protector but again was another athlete/wing vs a big man. Very much just a more talented URI. Not sure how a guy like Clingan fits that system of play very well.

So I was looking back and the above is absolutely accurate. Hurley has rarely ever used a true big man. His first year at URI he had a 6-10 kid and then Kuran Iverson in his last couple years there. In both cases they were more "big forwards" than a pivot guy. It was the exact same thing at Wagner for his two year stint.

So you have two guys who like to muck it up in the pivot and get to work and a coach who has zero experience running a system that really emphasizes that skill set. Now we don't use the post every year but JB and company definitely have a lot more experience using a true pivot guy even if it is for defensive purposes and screening.
Hurley will say literally whatever he has to to get a kid to commit, even if it’s not factual.

first to offer and his coach even mentions JB praising the kids abilities that he noticed early on. I say stay on this kid hard!!

“But what he’s done recently is work on his range. He’s shooting the 3 fairly well for a guy his size. His passing ability for a guy that young, like [Jim] Boeheim was saying when he first saw him last year, out of double-teams is unparalleled. It’s better than most bigs at the college level now.

first to offer and his coach even mentions JB praising the kids abilities that he noticed early on. I say stay on this kid hard!!

“But what he’s done recently is work on his range. He’s shooting the 3 fairly well for a guy his size. His passing ability for a guy that young, like [Jim] Boeheim was saying when he first saw him last year, out of double-teams is unparalleled. It’s better than most bigs at the college level now.
I want him over Mac.

I want him over Mac.
Totally different skill sets too, they could play together (I don’t think we’d get both). With what we’re building for 2022, both could fit. Watching Clingan operate with all the skill we’ll have on the court would be REALLY fun. But Macs toughness and high motor would fit really well too, since we’ll need a guy like that.

We’re gonna hear this a lot .., Hurley is definitely gonna be all over him
They'd be idiots not to be. That talent in their own back yard?

That said, he's still the big I want most if we can't snag Mac in 2021.

1593536561667.png

Attachments

• 1593536552703.png
    1593536552703.png
    530.1 KB · Views: 106
No what he means is we’re going to hear about uconn And Donovan a lot from these types of media members because it’s the Danny Hurley way, feed the media.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom