Class of 2022 - C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered

Any D1 program is going to improve his game. Coaches will need to adjust to allow for his style of play, but i see that as a plus for the team he commits to. Game is ever evolving, coaches need to evolve also to use the strengths of their commits and also teach their commits the proven ways that have worked in the past. It's a give n take for all parties. Whoever balances that the best will dominate.

I hate to say it...but do you really think coach boeheim is going to be adjusting anything other than his tighty whities at this point of his coaching career??
Do you think Boeheim will be coach? That is a legitimate question too. Also, developing bigs includes minor changes to game philosophy. It also includes the big making adjustments from his game to the team philosophy. Being a stone and not making adjustments will hurt both parties. Coaches adjust, players adjust, it's a must. That is the discussion that the coaches and recruits need to have. If it is "my way or the highway" then does that bode well for us getting him? Not at all. Our coaches need to show him how he will succeed in their program. Clingan needs to ask himself if that works for him, if he thinks coaches will make minor adjustments to his style of play to facilitate success. We have been a very good outside shooting team lately, but NOT a very dominate inside scoring OR defending team against other bigs. Can't just put a big in there and hope for the best. Clingan is a legit old school back to the basket big with insane passing skills and flashes of an outside shot. He is a beast on D so the zone is good for our success, but does that contribute to success at the next level? I feel bad for him, he has a tough decision to make with so many options. But from what I hear, he has a strong relationship with our coaches. Fingers crossed.

I hate to say it...but do you really think coach boeheim is going to be adjusting anything other than his tighty whities at this point of his coaching career??

Clearly, yes. Is he going to scrap the zone and start playing a completely different offense? No, you wouldn’t want that, there are certain elements that are fundamental to his style but he clearly adjusts significantly based on personnel. Pay attention to last year’s offense versus 2018 with Frank and Tyus for an easy example.

Clearly, yes. Is he going to scrap the zone and start playing a completely different offense? No, you wouldn’t want that, there are certain elements that are fundamental to his style but he clearly adjusts significantly based on personnel. Pay attention to last year’s offense versus 2018 with Frank and Tyus for an easy example.
Yeah, i really dont think boeheim is incapable of adjusting...but I do think he will sit a 7'1" 265 lb center if he cant cover the corner in the zone unless he does something else so well that he cant keep him off the floor. I would love to have clingan end up here, but unfortunately i'm not sure its the best place for him.

On offense, he always adjust to his talent. Everything funnels to get his best scorers their best chances to score. That’s why so many different types of players have been good scorers in the past.

Yeah, i really dont think boeheim is incapable of adjusting...but I do think he will sit a 7'1" 265 lb center if he cant cover the corner in the zone unless he does something else so well that he cant keep him off the floor. I would love to have clingan end up here, but unfortunately i'm not sure its the best place for him.
Then they should look for a stretch 4 and not a true big if they want a center to cover corners. But we have had some stretch 4s there lately and they had a hard time guarding a true big that enters the paint. From what I have noticed anyway. But I'm no expert. Not knocking any players, they played hard. But you can't teach size.

He figured out how to have the number 1 team in the nation with Fab Melo at center not covering corners.

Do you think there is a place he can go where he will never have to guard the perimeter? Because if a defense like that still exists Im not aware of it.

Our D keeps the center at home in the paint more than any I know of. YouTube a Michigan or a UConn game. Their centers are constantly out covering perimeter players (especially UConn) and the NBA won't sniff you unless you can guard guys in space.

Clingan may or may not come here, but I'm 100% sure needing to cover the 3 sometimes will not factor into his decision whatsoever.

Do you think there is a place he can go where he will never have to guard the perimeter? Because if a defense like that still exists Im not aware of it.

Our D keeps the center at home in the paint more than any I know of. YouTube a Michigan or a UConn game. Their centers are constantly out covering perimeter players (especially UConn) and the NBA won't sniff you unless you can guard guys in space.

Clingan may or may not come here, but I'm 100% sure needing to cover the 3 sometimes will not factor into his decision whatsoever.
Yeah, I just think its easier to follow your man out on the perimeter when your playing him man to man, than it is to cover 20 feet in time it takes to snap a pass to an open shooter...and then spend 15 minutes on the bench because of it.

Craig Forth did a pretty good job for us just staying at home in the middle of the zone. He had great lateral footwork to cut off the baseline drive, and I think he was born knowing how to hold his hands straight up on defense. He got so many blocks from just standing tall, not even having to jump. Plus he used to be outstanding at setting picks to get McNamara open for 3's from the wing. He used to do that hand-off, block, and Gerry would usually get an open look.

I would be happy to have a guy do that for us again, plus be able to present in the low post, and score with his back to the basket over either shoulder. Last guy we had who could do that out of high school was probably Rick Jackson. Arinze really developed his low post moves in his red shirt year, if I recall correctly. Sidibe actually was a pretty promising kid in high school. Such a shame about all his injuries.

Unofficial to Uconn in June and then official to Uconn in July lol. Seems like a pretty straightforward recruitment.

Unofficial to Uconn in June and then official to Uconn in July lol. Seems like a pretty straightforward recruitment.

It's close o his house. Doesn't mean anything. He is allowed as many unofficial visits he wants. July visits must be official visits according to NCAA rules. From what I understand anyway. Plus, he's been to Cuse twice already. Nothing to worry about. I'm sure he'll do another visit. He is just using up his junior year visits. He gets 5 more as a senior.

I seriously doubt we have any chance with this kid. We should be set with Edwards and Frank. Really need the other positions more.
Hes Uconn or Michigan
My God will you just go away please.

It's close o his house. Doesn't mean anything. He is allowed as many unofficial visits he wants. July visits must be official visits according to NCAA rules. From what I understand anyway. Plus, he's been to Cuse twice already. Nothing to worry about. I'm sure he'll do another visit. He is just using up his junior year visits. He gets 5 more as a senior.
We can only hope

My God will you just go away please.
He’s not going to come here no matter how much you ignore the reality of it lol.

Id put it 51/49 UConn/Michigan right now . I suppose maybe if UK/Duke/UNC came calling things could change but with his current offer list there’s no way it’s not UConn or Michigan

To me, Needing an unofficial and an official tells me they feel they need to do more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom