Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

Lampkin needs to take a hard look in the mirror and think about the ethics of his behavior and doing a 180 on his commitment at this late date and leaving the SU coaching staff holding the bag when there’s no time to pivot. He’s gonna make plenty of money either way, plus years of playing professionally. And the college and coach that’s poaching him (TCU?) should be ashamed of themselves for doing this.
ethics? yeah right...keep dreaming

Was it ever confirmed he was/is leaving or is this social media conspiracy theorists gone bad again?

I seriously doubt Fran BS kids.
Fran doesn’t just say “we’ll make sure you’re taken care of” and then figure it out after the commitment.

He meets with the prospects, gets the buy in a verbal then finds the number needed. He then approaches the powers that be with the amount needed and secures a commitment to that before we find out about the commit. At least most of the time. They found out covering McCord’s needs during McCord’s first visit.

Football also has a much wider net to cast for locating required NIL coverage.

There were a total of 2 centers in the whole portal that are better all around offensive players than Lampkin. He was ranked outside the top 5 centers based on not being elite defensively. He’s also one of the only top centers that is a 5th year.

He is a piece that connects everything for an offense. It doesn’t matter if he is 10th or 175th in the overall portal rankings. He reduces the burden on the responsibilities of your guards on offense, creates space as a pick setter and gives your shooters more room to operate as well via drawing double teams.

Where we need more money is to get two of those types of players every portal cycle not one. That said the 10 we have if he stays is solid just not yet where we want to be. More solid than last year likely as a unit.

This is a chance for Red to show how he can coach a team he chose. I want that for him to see what he can do with it. So you pay the man and find some other cash to add another shooter as a wing or guard, grab a flyer and give #13 to a walk on and get to work.

Right now the scene from Money Ball when they’re in the scout room is racing through my head over and over again.

It’s just time to pony up for Eddie. We wont survive in a world where we do all the upfront work and then some scumbag shows up with a bag twice the size. It’s not right but now it’s survival. The roster moves we’ve made to this point were built around Lampkin to a certain extent.

Also Until there’s legislation or schools are allowed to step in and pay which is already possible in Virginia we need to just suck it up and bend over for a player or two if it comes to this. There’s only 5 guys on the court, 12 on the roster. Cant be losing 2 critical pieces of the front court to NIL.

Unfortunately this will leave a sour taste for the coach’s and current players if he ever does show up on campus too. Either way this sucks.
that bridge is burned...i wouldnot want a player back who pulls this

In this new wild west any school can come in and offer a 'committed' player to another school a bigger bag and poach them. If this is the case, what is stopping conference rivals from doing this to just raise the NIL bill for the other school?

JJ Starling was ranked #3

So much based on potential to which he didn’t hit on… many others ahead of Eddie are the same- no way to know if they improve and develop. Give me grad txfrs

Listen, I hate all this and this is what college sports has become. But on the flip side, even though I hate this and it ruins my love of sports. If I sign to start at a job and another job opportunity jumps in and says they’ll pay me 50% more. I’m taking the $. As most of you would do. This idea that “kids these days” and all that crap, this stuff has been going on in the business world forever. Now we don’t like it because it impacts something we do for fun. And I get that. I feel the same way. But projecting that anger on the kids, as if 2 decades ago+ some concept of loyalty existed beyond just outlier examples, in the real world. Is a Pollyanna view of how the world worked for most people.

In this new wild west any school can come in and offer a 'committed' player to another school a bigger bag and poach them. If this is the case, what is stopping conference rivals from doing this to just raise the NIL bill for the other school?
This is a very dangerous probability

ethics? yeah right...keep dreaming
Exactly. And the coaches that leave at a drop of a hat are the pictures of ethics. I don't understand why the players are held to a different standard than the coaches. It's a business people chase money. Last week people weren't even sold on Lampkin being good, now he's the second coming of Bob Lanier

Question: I know the kid can leave prior to starting classes but why can't the group providing the NIL enter into a contract that includes severe financial penalties for a breach of obligations.
I would make any NIL individual sign. I would pay them lets say 10k upon signing. I would then lay out their obligations. Appearances and assign dates to it. Make the obligations in person and make the dates throughout the entire period of the NIL term.
In the event a person/player wants to terminate their obligation make the termination fee 50% of the NILs payment to the individual.
Done. Problem fixed.
When no other school is doing it then it would be a huge negative for us. Same thing as when the housing market is blowing up. If everyone is putting in offers waiving inspection and cash offers why would you sell to someone that is adding extra requirements.

When no other school is doing it then it would be a huge negative for us. Same thing as when the housing market is blowing up. If everyone is putting in offers waiving inspection and cash offers why would you sell to someone that is adding extra requirements.
I don't agree. It's a two-way street. Everyone says that kids are promised an amount but that it doesn't always materialize. This would obviously be a two-way agreement and would obligate the NIL to pay even in the event of injury. These deals need to be and I'm sure are in writing. It's not a negative. Last point if the kid doesn't sign what does that tell you.

Well worth a listen from one of the top
authorities on collectives, NIL and contracts.

Excellent interview and something everyone should listen too about the future of NIL and what is already happening to get there. This interview answers a lot of questions people here are asking.

Okay, hearing that we had a donor step up and we made a sizeable offer. And the school is A and M not SMU
BUZZ!! You sweaty SOB!!
angry star trek GIF