Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

Taking a look at a situation based on evidence and projecting the most likely outcome isn’t taking a victory lap.

Thinking Eddie Lampkin is some kind of Jokic-lite is magical thinking.

And what it does is cover the ongoing inability of the program to compete at the levels we used to. To be fair, college sports are a dem of mayhem now.

If we win tons of games next year and dominate, everyone can give me my comeuppance. Happy to eat that crow.

But what are we doing here? We’re freaking out upon potentially losing Eddie Lampkin. That says it all about where we are and what we’re staring at in terms of success.

It sucks. Hope Red gets us out of the muck. But this isn’t me doing any victory lap, it’s not playing make believe.

I certainly hope no one is calling EL Jokic, that's ridiculous. Same with people talking Brown like he's Anunoby.

He's a post guy and space eater, which we've lacked and need.

A deeper issue in the situations with Jesse last year and now Lampkin, is that it shows other programs, agents, that commitments to SU aren't solid, and the roster is available for poaching at the right price, which we are less capable of matching.

The wolves will circle over & over again until it's proven this program can play ball at an elite level both on the court and financially.

This is true for every school for decades before college free agency. This isn’t unique to SU or SU BB. Players get poached all the time and always have.

The problem with Naheem is that 1. he just got the boot off. That means he hasn't been working on his game this spring. We need more than the same player he was last year. I'm glad he is back but we need another big anyway. Plus, we need him to be a better player. tough to do when you haven't been practicing.
If he could get going during the season and they kept Patterson, they would have two 7' plus centers for specific matchups. If the best player available in the portal is more of a stretch 4, like Osobor, when not get him? Or a player like him. Really just a bigger, more physical Maliq Brown who has a real offensive game. He could play the 4 some as well.

They want money up front.
In a game by game situation pay in installment for each game. Also allow for "strategic tampering" where a coach can walk up to an opposing player at half time and say "hey youlre killing us with six 3 pointers first half how about you sit out second half we pay you $25000 to just fake an injury and sit out".

Last edited:
Its so easy to root for players these days…

It will be an absolute party when schools become required to pay players as employees and Cuse decides “nah”.

It’s been pointed out to me that aTm is out of hoops scholies at this moment…

So we've gone form TCU to SMU to T A&M who has no available scholies. :confused:

I've checked the local media again and there's nothing. Which doesn't mean something won't hit as soon as I hit ENTER.

Other thoughts:

- Did Red really "build the roster' around this guy? We needed a center and we got one - we hope. Davis and Carlos didn't come here just to play with Lampkin. And Freeman and Moore obviously didn't. If we don't get Lampkin, we'll get someone else, hopefully two someone elses, (I still hold out hope Patterson will return - I think he had potential).

- If we are losing bidding wars for portal guys in basketball could that be because we've gone all-in on football to try to get a spot in one of the two super-conferences to be? Maybe Fran is vacuuming up all the NIL money? Are we sacrificing the basketball program to that end?

In my younger years I’d be up all night sweating over this….i won’t be anymore, it’s upsetting it sucks, I may think about it from time to time, but also even with NIL you want someone that truly wants to be here. Money talks I get it but if they are only half invested in being here thanks but no thanks. I still want this to work out absolutely as we all do, but I’m sure Red will figure this out.

And also, anyone on here that is pissed off if any of us were offered 250k more or 400k whatever the amount is 9/10 would take that. Most of us would I won’t even kid myself about whether or not I would even if I hated living somewhere else.

Also to defend RED a minute….he had no idea this would happen. This is just bad luck, not his fault. I see what he is building with recruiting and we have some good pieces next year. We lost two backup centers and a guy that didn’t want to play center. I’m sure someone good will want to play here for the amount of money we are willing to pay. Do I get frustrated and pissed about our NIL strategy this offseason yes I have at times but he’s targeting players that would make us a better team. What else can we ask for?

Also I’d like to defend JW a minute here. Not only has he had to navigate through realignments possibilities, but also NIL… I think he’s done a terrific job here. Syracuse has a brighter future, with Micron there you’ll only have more donors. Let’s see how this plays out. We have had a lot of luck with foreign players. Elvir Ovcina, Marek!
I don’t believe in bad luck. Its was bad luck to have most of current team leave, it was bad luck to miss on recruits even after hiring one of the head coaches. Part of recruiting kids is looking at character, he also recruited Maliq, Cope, Mintz Taylor, Patterson, etc. As a coach you are accountable for results. The sky is not falling he won 20 his first year and still has time to finish this team out. we have 2 elite players coming ibuilt is a shame he could not lock up Brown or land some high profile recruits, but he still has time to do so.

Last edited:
I’m telling you Texas A&M and Duke will just say why go through lawyers and contracts at Syracuse when we can just cut through all that red tape and hand you the bag now then worry about what it’s later.

Without legislation there is no way in hell some of the schools will play by the rules on how you think it should work. Did you not notice that the ncaa lost every lawsuit in the last year with player and portal lawsuits. Every single one the judges ruled with the player and school trying to get exemptions. NCAA-0 wins so now they said have fun it’s Thunderdome.
My approach has nothing to do with the ncaa. Read and comprehend.

So we've gone form TCU to SMU to T A&M who has no available scholies. :confused:

I've checked the local media again and there's nothing. Which doesn't mean something won't hit as soon as I hit ENTER.

Other thoughts:

- Did Red really "build the roster' around this guy? We needed a center and we got one - we hope. Davis and Carlos didn't come here just to play with Lampkin. And Freeman and Moore obviously didn't. If we don't get Lampkin, we'll get someone else, hopefully two someone elses, (I still hold out hope Patterson will return - I think he had potential).

- If we are losing bidding wars for portal guys in basketball could that be because we've gone all-in on football to try to get a spot in one of the two super-conferences to be? Maybe Fran is vacuuming up all the NIL money? Are we sacrificing the basketball program to that end?
The reason that you haven't seen the local media on the story is because they can't get anyone to go on the record about it. That is because the coaches don't want there to be a story because they are working at keeping him in the fold.

So Franco Pizza and Cuse 181 want guys who don't want to play for us? :confused:
These guys love to play basketball and want to play for a living. They aren’t transferring to Syracuse for 1 year because they just LOVE upstate New York. i don’t work at my employer because they’re the only person I ever wanted to work for. I work for them because they pay for my house, my car, and my family. The quicker you guys stop pretending like this is simply a passion for these guys and start realizing it’s a JOB we can stop with all this petty b.s.

That is not true. Football has had decent seasons over the last 5 to 6 years. Inconsistent yes, but plain bad? No. Basketball has been turbulent. The other sports have been fairly solid (excluding men's lax). SU football has made 3 out of 6 bowls and is going in the right direction. I do not understand posters who want to place blame for one thing and then refuse to give credit on other things. I have my moments but I try to be reasonable and look at the bigger picture. The truth is men's basketball sucks right now, that is just the reality. Football drives the bus and JW has made all the right moves there. To say the athletics department as a whole had been bad is just not true.
Soccer was OK, just saying.

The reason that you haven't seen the local media on the story is because they can't get anyone to go on the record about it. That is because the coaches don't want there to be a story because they are working at keeping him in the fold.
You mean this isn't like Conference Realignment Experts on YouTube?

So this guy is doing pretty much what Jesse's dad did. Wonder if Lampkin will get any of that heat.