Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

I am very disappointed about Maliq's departure. But I'm going to set that aside, and focus on evaluating Lampkin, who I've seen play a number of times this year.

During the first weekend of the NCAAT, I suggested that we needed a center like DJ Burns, or like Lampkin -- a big, strong player who knows how to throw their weight around, and have a good feel around the basket.

Lampkin is taller than Burns, but plays similar. Below the rim, but good timing and aggressive. Uses his strength to overpower people in the low post. A throw-back type of center -- this is NOT a stretch 5, like many big men try to be in the modern game. He's a bully who loves to play physical.

The turnovers are bad. He's also foul prone, given that he plays like a football player. So is the anemic shot-blocking -- 5 for the whole year? We've had guys get that in ONE GAME.

But in lieu of being a rim protector, he is able to control the paint with girth / strength, and push guys off of their spot.

He's pretty freaking good offensively. We haven't had a low post player like this in a LONG time.

So, while I'm excited about adding that, I'm disappointed about it being a net-trade, with Maliq leaving. But such is life in the portal era.

Last edited:
Really? Because he just started on a team that played in the NCAA tournament. Something that we haven't done in a while. And he scored well. He averaged more pts a game than Brown did while getting about the same in rebounds. They spoke glowingly about him at Colorado. I like Brown but we aren't losing Melo. He could have stayed. is it your contension that we shouldn't have done anything in the portal that would cause Brown to leave? Because Donovan C isn't coming here. We are getting who we can get. And I'm going to think that a guy that does this for his living knows more about the game than internet posters.
lol. How many posts did you have this year about roster turnover and how Maliq was the one guy you didn’t want to lose? Now he’s just a dude.

lol. How many posts did you have this year about roster turnover and how Maliq was the one guy you didn’t want to lose? Now he’s just a dude.
No. I don't want to lose Malik. I am as disappointed as anyone. But I am not worked up about it. He is a very good player and from what I hear, a great, great, kid. Just the kind you want in your program. But he isn't a star. And not being the one guy on that team I didn't want to leave isn't the badge of honor you may think it is. Very unlikeable team. I think we can have a very good team next year. With or without him. I want a legit guy at every position. His position is the 4. Not the 5. And from what I see, we have a very good 4 coming in. I think Brown sees that as well.

I am very disappointed about Maliq's departure. But I'm going to set that aside, and focus on evaluating Lampkin, who I've seen play a number of times this year.

During the first weekend of the NCAAT, I suggested that we needed a center like DJ Burns, or like Lampkin -- a big, strong player who knows how to throw their weight around, and have a good feel around the basket.

Lampkin is taller than Burns, but plays similar. Below the rim, but good timing and aggressive. Uses his strength to overpower people in the low post. A throw-back type of center -- this is NOT a stretch 5, like many big men try to be in the modern game. He's a bully who loves to play physical.

The turnovers are bad. He's also foul prone, given that he plays like a football player. So is the anemic shot-blocking -- 5 for the whole year? We've had guys get that in ONE GAME.

But in lieu of being a rim protector, he is able to control the paint with girth / strength, and push guys off of their spot.

He's pretty freaking good offensively. We haven't had a low post player like this in a LONG time.

So, while I'm excited about adding that, I'm disappointed about it being a net-trade, with Maliq leaving. But such is life in the portal era.
Very well put. You can be pro Lampkin and pro Malik. We don't have to run down one to boost the other. Just as you can be pro Freeman and pro Malik.

I mean they both can be true no? I wanted Maliq back more than anybody because he’s a good kid, does all the right things on the court and plays smart ball and has all-ACC caliber potential. I don’t think Maliq is just a dude but I don’t think he’s an nba player either. Why do they have to be mutually exclusive.

This is such a weird take. There’s probsbly many of us who are pro Maliq, freeman, and lumpkin. The best version of us would include all 3.

Perfect example as to why this place is borderline toxic. It's always the same 10-12 posters, who don't know SH|† about hoops/football/lax and simply cannot be stand any level of optimism or progress. It is entirely exhausting, and I wish you all had a naysayer's board to live on.
Also, people seem to think that recruits don’t have the ability to access this board or something. Why would a player want to be part of a program who’s fans say some of the offensive things seen on this board.

Also, people seem to think that recruits don’t have the ability to access this board or something. Why would a player want to be part of a program who’s fans say some of the offensive things seen on this board.
I see what you’re saying but it’s naive to think they aren’t coming to a school because of stuff they saw on a messageboard when Twitter is a warzone like no other to this type of stuff. There are a lot more people there, a lot more said, and a lot worse said there because it’s bascially filterless at this point over there.

I see what you’re saying but it’s naive to think they aren’t coming to a school because of stuff they saw on a messageboard when Twitter is a warzone like no other to this type of stuff. There are a lot more people there, a lot more said, and a lot worse said there because it’s bascially filterless at this point over there.
Fair point. I imagine what’s said on twitter is an amped up version of the same melancholic world is falling attitude seen here which could definitely turn a recruit off. Maybe not though as the place is so overrun with trolls in general that maybe the kids don’t care what anyone online says anyway.

Fair point. I imagine what’s said on twitter is an amped up version of the same melancholic world is falling attitude seen here which could definitely turn a recruit off. Maybe not though as the place is so overrun with trolls in general that maybe the kids don’t care what anyone online says anyway.
Oh yeah you’re 100% correct it’s a complete minefield that’s for sure.

Any school that has any kind of fan base, has a message board where much worse is said. Sad, but true. many of us like to go to ribal message boards after their losses to see their reasoned responses to the game. It is usually very entertaining.

Its wild that some people think Syracuse University sports fan boards are somehow worse than any other fan board for any other team and that big time recruits who barely care about their major at said university somehow care what some random person on one of 59 different fan boards says.

Some people are flipping out about it. I like to investigate and find out why things are the way they are before I judge something or someone. And most times things arent the way they seem they are.
Yeah, no reason to cry over spilled milk. It's spilled. Pour another glass.

My initial reaction is to care less about the dude who is leaving and more about the dude who is coming.

Also, exciting to be involved with a center with a post game. I love, love, love a big who can execute a good pump fake, step through, & dunk. Haven't had that in a while.

Lampkin isn’t exactly the brightest bulb. I can see him budding heads with teammates. He can score in the post, for sure. That is a plus. But, he doesn’t help us at all in the rim defense dept. We may have to play more zone and hope donnie and whoever can help with blocked shots.
I never in my wildest dreams would have imagined having someone say a player "isn't the exactly the brightest bulb" while simultaneously getting the simple phrase "butting heads" wrong... that's something.

Maliq played center better than Lampkin did!
hall scheffelein put up 41 and 23 on maliq in the last regular season game

a must win

and he was a white flag or red flag or whatever you wanna call it...orange cone...

what were you watching??????????????

doubt we get jokic...but sounds like this guy can at least score in the post...which is SORELY needed

I do think the comparison to Burns is apt. He even imporved his output in the tournament the way Burns did.

NC St plays a shot blocker next to Burns who doesn't score much. We will have Freeman, who I don't think you can count on defensively because most freshmen take a while to adjust defensively. McLeod will help here, but Freeman is going to have to sit sometimes and Lampkin and McLeod can't play together.

Ideally we will bring in another power forward who can defend at a high level and block some shots. But it's going to be hard to recruit a back up to a McDonald's all American.

How Red solves this problem will determine how much I, personally, like our roster construction at the C and PF position.

Forget about who we lost. If we have Lampkin, McLeod, Freeman, and a vet PF who can give us some decent minutes I'm feeling pretty good about it.

I never in my wildest dreams would have imagined having someone say a player "isn't the exactly the brightest bulb" while simultaneously getting the simple phrase "butting heads" wrong... that's something.
Well, it's better to bud heads than nipples, right?

I think you are misinterpreting his comment. I believe he is saying the heads will begin to grow...like a bud on a tree in spring.

I do think the comparison to Burns is apt. He even imporved his output in the tournament the way Burns did.

NC St plays a shot blocker next to Burns who doesn't score much. We will have Freeman, who I don't think you can count on defensively because most freshmen take a while to adjust defensively. McLeod will help here, but Freeman is going to have to sit sometimes and Lampkin and McLeod can't play together.

Ideally we will bring in another power forward who can defend at a high level and block some shots. But it's going to be hard to recruit a back up to a McDonald's all American.

How Red solves this problem will determine how much I, personally, like our roster construction at the C and PF position.

Forget about who we lost. If we have Lampkin, McLeod, Freeman, and a vet PF who can give us some decent minutes I'm feeling pretty good about it.
I would think the play here is to get a center who is skilled enough and athletic enough to also play some at PF.

For center, I would prioritize shot blocking, rebounding and overall defense over ability to score. With Bell, JJ, Westry, Freeman and hopefully a couple of experienced portal guys, we should have enough scorers.

If we do this, McLeod is the backup C. Or Patterson if McLeod also leaves.

Westry plays some 1, 2 and 3.

Bring in a PG who is pass first, has a very good assist to turnover ratio. is good at pushing the ball/playing fast and is very good on defense.

That is our starter at PG. That Carlos guy out of Hofstra would be a great add for us IMHO.

Do all that and I like our team.

Last edited:
Yeah, no reason to cry over spilled milk. It's spilled. Pour another glass.

My initial reaction is to care less about the dude who is leaving and more about the dude who is coming.

Also, exciting to be involved with a center with a post game. I love, love, love a big who can execute a good pump fake, step through, & dunk. Haven't had that in a while.
My man Otis!

Would love adding Eddie to next year’s team!​

IMG_9162.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors