Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

So Eddie enters portal and SU/Eddie make an early NIL deal quickly. Weeks and weeks go by of him pro-Syracuse helping with recruits, etc. Portal closes. Not to long afterwards, a new ACC member by the name of SMU comes along, clearly tampers, and offers Eddie more money to walk from SU and join them. The shade...

If you go by last 5 years Syracuse sports as a whole as been bad..just because they look on the rise doesn’t mean anything till they can be steady…look at the women’s team they did good in tourney and lost 3 big players…football fran has done amazing but we haven’t played a game yet….and well we know how basketball has been
That is not true. Football has had decent seasons over the last 5 to 6 years. Inconsistent yes, but plain bad? No. Basketball has been turbulent. The other sports have been fairly solid (excluding men's lax). SU football has made 3 out of 6 bowls and is going in the right direction. I do not understand posters who want to place blame for one thing and then refuse to give credit on other things. I have my moments but I try to be reasonable and look at the bigger picture. The truth is men's basketball sucks right now, that is just the reality. Football drives the bus and JW has made all the right moves there. To say the athletics department as a whole had been bad is just not true.

Right now the scene from Money Ball when they’re in the scout room is racing through my head over and over again.

It’s just time to pony up for Eddie. We wont survive in a world where we do all the upfront work and then some scumbag shows up with a bag twice the size. It’s not right but now it’s survival. The roster moves we’ve made to this point were built around Lampkin to a certain extent.

Also Until there’s legislation or schools are allowed to step in and pay which is already possible in Virginia we need to just suck it up and bend over for a player or two if it comes to this. There’s only 5 guys on the court, 12 on the roster. Cant be losing 2 critical pieces of the front court to NIL.

Unfortunately this will leave a sour taste for the coach’s and current players if he ever does show up on campus too. Either way this sucks.
Full disclosure - Truth be told, I think it's a good thing we got Lampkin off our payroll. I think it opens up all sorts of possibilities.

My rooting interest used to be

#1) SU basketball
#2) SU football

Football has easily surpassed basketball these last five years. The football program has a bright future, basketball not so much. I’m looking at a 14 win roster at the moment. Im so numb to us playing garbage basketball. I can’t even comprehend how far this program has fallen. I like Red, but I’m not sure this staff lasts. We can’t get or keep players.

Edit- just to add, I do not think Lampkin is worth another 250k. It’s a sleazy move on his part to put Red in this position. Once you sign you should not be able to back out until the following year.
Football might get more wins than Hoops this coming year

That is not true. Football has had decent seasons over the last 5 to 6 years. Inconsistent yes, but plain bad? No. Basketball has been turbulent. The other sports have been fairly solid (excluding men's lax). SU football has made 3 out of 6 bowls and is going in the right direction. I do not understand posters who want to place blame for one thing and then refuse to give credit on other things. I have my moments but I try to be reasonable and look at the bigger picture. The truth is men's basketball sucks right now, that is just the reality. Football drives the bus and JW has made all the right moves there. To say the athletics department as a whole had been bad is just not true.
You say football been good because of bowl games but how many times was it us scheduling 4 cupcake games and then winning 2 acc games and going 6-7 each year when we made a bowl game…also Syracuse nil as a whole was thought to be bad by some alums so they started there own… Womens hire was good but I don’t think they’ll be close to what they were last year.

So Eddie enters portal and SU/Eddie make an early NIL deal quickly. Weeks and weeks go by of him pro-Syracuse helping with recruits, etc. Portal closes. Not to long afterwards, a new ACC member by the name of SMU comes along, clearly tampers, and offers Eddie more money to walk from SU and join them. The shade...
Is it tampering though if he isn't enrolled?

Full disclosure - Truth be told, I think it's a good thing we got Lampkin off our payroll. I think it opens up all sorts of possibilities.
I'm sure it is possible but I don't think I could disagree with a post more. I guess if you said Danny Hurley should be put up for sainthood, that would be a possibility.

This isn’t the ace you think it is. But keep going on your defense of JW.

I’m a big fan of Fran. Things starting great and the schedule this year sets up nicely but a lot victory laps going on before they played a game.

That story still has a ways to go before it’s done being written.

And JW has not been the home run some are trying to portray.

You say football been good because of bowl games but how many times was it us scheduling 4 cupcake games and then winning 2 acc games and going 6-7 each year when we made a bowl game…also Syracuse nil as a whole was thought to be bad by some alums so they started there own… Womens hire was good but I don’t think they’ll be close to what they were last year.
Does anyone look back and say "look at who they played?" Maybe for a year, then it goes into the books as a season with a bowl game. No one cares about the schedule after the season is over. Our bar as a program was bowl games and an occasional 7-8 win season. That has been said many times on this board and we have been accomplishing that as often as we were not. JW is the one who fired Dino and decided bowl games just aren't enough. He made a bold move that looks to have paid off immensely. You can't say football has not won a game yet and then say women's hoops will not be as good next year. Both are projections.

Edit- I also never said football has been "good." I said they have had decent seasons throughout the last 6 years.

Last edited:
I think those two are better plus than just Lampkin.
I’d take the Colgate kid if we didn’t have Carlos. We need shooting desperately. I don’t think he solves that. Enoch is meh. All these American players left are left for a reason. We’ve struck out about 4 times so far.

You have 19 messages here. I don't know where you heard that but I heard that as well. I don't know if it is true or if it is possible but I am including it in my nightly prayers.
We should’ve offered 750 for another player, not Lampkin. Reeks of desperation on our part. Oh well.