Class of 2020 - C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not personally believe that we are doing well in the running as it is.

i completely beg to differ and if SU lands Frank, the two have zero correlation. Etienne is top priority for SU no matter what and are recruiting him harder than anyone else. And no this kid Frank is not starting one game next year nor will he see significant minutes in his freshman year. Trust me

i completely beg to differ and if SU lands Frank, the two have zero correlation. Etienne is top priority for SU no matter what and are recruiting him harder than anyone else. And no this kid Frank is not starting one game next year nor will he see significant minutes in his freshman year. Trust me
I agree with some of this. He isnt starting and maybe we still have a good chance at mac. But for you to say trust me hes not seeing significant minutes is a stretch. Sidibe is foul prone/injury prone. Jesse ended up seeing some decent minutes last season and no one would of imagined that. Who knows what this kid brings to the table yet...one thing for sure is he is definitely a more "athletic" type of big then we have have lately so how that translates will be interesting. Maybe he doesnt see the court much at all...maybe he redshirts? Or maybe he outplays most of our big rotation and his athletic qualities combined with his outrageous wingspan will be a force in the center of the zone for defensive purposes to help sidibe with minutes. Maybe jesse dominates him in practice and hes buried on the bench? I'm not sure anyone knows this until he hits campus and starts playing with the boys and the coaches get a look. Unless u know this kid personally then the, "trust me" hes not seeing significant minutes is kinda a moot point. But it's all opinion based anyways which is why we have this forum to talk about this stuff and keep things interesting. Appreciate your take on it though...I just see Frank as being much more athletically gifted then most of our bigs. Not sure how that will translate on the court but I think he might surprise. If not then that's not necessarily a bad thing that just means sidibe and Jesse have made improvements and that's great for us to keep talent stockpiled. JBA is the unknown kicker in all of this anyways. I'm kinda high on him and think he will be a suprise.

As long as Marek doesn't play back-up center I don't care who gets the back-up minutes. All centers take time to develop I can't remember one center in 30+ years to played well as a freshmen, but Sidibe graduates next year and so does Marek so we need to start grooming these big men with real minutes for continuity purposes.

I agree with some of this. He isnt starting and maybe we still have a good chance at mac. But for you to say trust me hes not seeing significant minutes is a stretch. Sidibe is foul prone/injury prone. Jesse ended up seeing some decent minutes last season and no one would of imagined that. Who knows what this kid brings to the table yet...one thing for sure is he is definitely a more "athletic" type of big then we have have lately so how that translates will be interesting. Maybe he doesnt see the court much at all...maybe he redshirts? Or maybe he outplays most of our big rotation and his athletic qualities combined with his outrageous wingspan will be a force in the center of the zone for defensive purposes to help sidibe with minutes. Maybe jesse dominates him in practice and hes buried on the bench? I'm not sure anyone knows this until he hits campus and starts playing with the boys and the coaches get a look. Unless u know this kid personally then the, "trust me" hes not seeing significant minutes is kinda a moot point. But it's all opinion based anyways which is why we have this forum to talk about this stuff and keep things interesting. Appreciate your take on it though...I just see Frank as being much more athletically gifted then most of our bigs. Not sure how that will translate on the court but I think he might surprise. If not then that's not necessarily a bad thing that just means sidibe and Jesse have made improvements and that's great for us to keep talent stockpiled. JBA is the unknown kicker in all of this anyways. I'm kinda high on him and think he will be a suprise.

“Trust me” doesn’t come from MY opinion ...

Oh wow, I've been offline for a few days. This is amazing if it pans out and Frank picks SU. And if Griffen gets his waiver, and Kadary is as advertised, all of a sudden we're looking like a contending team. Fingers crossed.
Contending for what exactly?

“Trust me” doesn’t come from MY opinion ...
Rubbing elbows with the big dogs. Good for you! Well it will be fun to land him and then see how it all shakes out. It's a good problem to have that's for sure! Hopefully we get him then we can actually see what goes down and how the playing time gets distributed. Its interesting that your saying this is coming from (obviously someone close to staff or on staff) but this kid was a mugh higher profile recruit and recruited by almost all the high D1 programs yet hes not even cracking our roster the way it sits now... :rolleyes: and yes i realize he dropped significantly in rankings once he reclassed...but he also didnt get to show his skills at prolific with that team and then totally missed out on AAU summer which would in my opinion have only made him more desirable to programs. Staff must feel real good with our current rotation. (Not saying that negatively) just find it interesting i guess...considering how hard we have pursued bigs this cycle. Appreciate the info though. Makes for good convo!

Rubbing elbows with the big dogs. Good for you! Well it will be fun to land him and then see how it all shakes out. It's a good problem to have that's for sure! Hopefully we get him then we can actually see what goes down and how the playing time gets distributed. Its interesting that your saying this is coming from (obviously someone close to staff or on staff) but this kid was a mugh higher profile recruit and recruited by almost all the high D1 programs yet hes not even cracking our roster the way it sits now... :rolleyes: and yes i realize he dropped significantly in rankings once he reclassed...but he also didnt get to show his skills at prolific with that team and then totally missed out on AAU summer which would in my opinion have only made him more desirable to programs. Staff must feel real good with our current rotation. (Not saying that negatively) just find it interesting i guess...considering how hard we have pursued bigs this cycle. Appreciate the info though. Makes for good convo!
BTW the same thing was said about Christmas before his freshmen year...

BTW the same thing was said about Christmas before his freshmen year...
bigs develop different...at least the ones we get seem to. We land burger boys that dont become what we think they will be until their junior year. (Xmas) other teams land some freshman burger boys that are lights out the minute they step foot on campus. It will be nice just to add frank...then let the playing time sort itself out on the court. It's all fun talking about it on here. Adding another big considering the foul issues we had last year will be nice. But good point...u just dont know until they hit the court

bigs develop different...at least the ones we get seem to. We land burger boys that dont become what we think they will be until their junior year. (Xmas) other teams land some freshman burger boys that are lights out the minute they step foot on campus. It will be nice just to add frank...then let the playing time sort itself out on the court. It's all fun talking about it on here. Adding another big considering the foul issues we had last year will be nice. But good point...u just dont know until they hit the court
Our system (The Zone) takes time to learn especially the center spot. It is easier on centers if the opponent plays big because they are playing a lot of man to man in the middle but when the wings spread out to cover the shoots it is very hard on the center, he has to worry about backdoor cuts, drives and has rotation responsibilities.

Our system (The Zone) takes time to learn especially the center spot. It is easier on centers if the opponent plays big because they are playing a lot of man to man in the middle but when the wings spread out to cover the shoots it is very hard on the center, he has to worry about backdoor cuts, drives and has rotation responsibilities.
Agreed...that's where his quickness/athletic abilities and wingspan will help him in my opinion of "possibly" getting some minutes as a freshman. IF he can learn the zone well enough. I just think hes more of an athlete then our current bigs. Quicker feet etc which I think will translate to him being decent in the middle of the zone. This is all fun to talk about but we gotta land the kid first lol. Let's hope we do that and then have these convos for real! :)

Jimmy don’t bench seniors!
You got me:) JIMMY will most definitely start Sid but if Sid doesn't perform he will be benched just like Carey was. Jim only has a few years left and he is going to play to win even more so than he always has.

this guy has been fun following along on WKU board. He was so confident early on...real confident. Now getting to the ish talking of JB/cuse and others. Squirming a bit. He does mention my boy Trey James though...I do like that kid a lot so he wouldnt be a bad consolation prize for them. Heck I'd like to land that kid. Still funny to see though.

PhotoGrid_1590799302950.jpg

this guy has been fun following along on WKU board. He was so confident early on...real confident. Now getting to the ish talking of JB/cuse and others. Squirming a bit. He does mention my boy Trey James though...I do like that kid a lot so he wouldnt be a bad consolation prize for them. Heck I'd like to land that kid. Still funny to see though.

View attachment 181887

maybe it’s Ataliens cousin? On a side point I am amazed and howyou dig to find info like this. Thanks for your dedication with recruiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe it’s Ataliens cousin? On a side point I am amazed and howyou dig to find info like this. Thanks for your dedication with recruiting.
Appreciate it. I don't pretend to have inside info/rub elbows/have tee off time with anyone "in the know" but i do follow recruiting (basketball side) pretty close and come across some good stuff from time to time. Most of the time I'm just talking out my arse though so it's all fun! Theres definitely lots on here with connections and it's always nice getting good info. This forum is great...it has its moments like all forums but there are lots of great posters on here that share good info and out of all the forums I've searched and checked out I think ours is by FAR the best. Very active and knowledgeable info. I've enjoyed this forum very much the past few years.

No matter what this kid will not be of any impact on any team his freshman year. Not quite sure why everyone is all over him and so anxious tbh

Was this also a "Trust me doesn’t come from MY opinion ..." Take or was this just yours? Again, seems like a odd stance on this kid when so many high majors were recruiting him. Not trying to imply he will see huge minutes/start or whatever but I guess im just seeing a different type of player then you obviously. (Which is totally cool) but if this is coming from who I think it's coming from then either Frank is much more a project in our coaches eyes then everyone on here thinks or they are very confident in what we already have on the roster and are comfortable taking Frank now and developing him. Hope we land him regardless and if our current bigs make big strides in their game then that's awesome. I still see it unfolding differently but to each their own.

Last edited:
Let's just say we hypothetically land this kid. Incoming class is:
  • Kadary Richmond - PG with the frame / size of a 2
  • Woody Newton - combo forward, trending toward a 4
  • Frank Anselem - pivot who might also be able to be a 4
  • Alan Griffin - B1G experienced / proven wing who can play both the backcourt and the 3
We'd be adding that versatility to a lineup that returns:
  • Three established starters [including PG / C - the two most challenging positions to field, and a shooter]
  • A PF who had a solid debut and is poised to make the sophomore leap in Guerrier
In addition that core nucleus, we'd have:
  • Two backup big men who haven't played much but who both have solid upside
  • An athletic combo forward coming off of an injury redshirt
Really need Griffin to get that waiver. If that happens, we have a LOT of lineup flexibility -- lots more size than last year, which in turn will lead to increased competition in practice for PT. LOVE the idea of big men Sidibe, Anselem, Edwards, Ajak, Dolezaj, and Guerrier all having to earn their minutes and duking it out for the right to play.

Even sans Hughes, we might be better than what you'd expect coming off a lackluster year in 2029-2020. Definitely lots more options at JB's disposal than this past season. He won't be locked into having to ride or die with a fixed rotation, and could go with whatever matchups / lineup combinations work any given game, a la 2012.

Again, contingent upon landing Anselem and Griffin getting his waiver.
You forgot Marek. We have four established starters returning.

Woody will probably have to redshirt, seems like we ha live too many forwards now

Woody will probably have to redshirt, seems like we ha live too many forwards now
If Griffin gets a waiver, it’ll be interesting to see if Newton redshirts. 80/20 he doesn’t just because it’s hard to convince a top level high schooler that they’re not physically ready. And maybe he shows things in preseason practice that are intriguing enough to roll with. My guess would be that if Braswell is healthy and Woody is not an upgrade there as a backup forward, that the coaches have a conversation. Feels like a BJ Johnson situation, where he’s not likely to see meaningful minutes, but hopefully he has the chance to show the coaches what he’s got, and then has the maturity to trust their advice.

If Griffin gets a waiver, it’ll be interesting to see if Newton redshirts. 80/20 he doesn’t just because it’s hard to convince a top level high schooler that they’re not physically ready. And maybe he shows things in preseason practice that are intriguing enough to roll with. My guess would be that if Braswell is healthy and Woody is not an upgrade there as a backup forward, that the coaches have a conversation. Feels like a BJ Johnson situation, where he’s not likely to see meaningful minutes, but hopefully he has the chance to show the coaches what he’s got, and then has the maturity to trust their advice.
I’m not sure a redshirt is wise. Hopefully, Williams comes next year and he could possibly fall farther down the roster. None of these players expect to be in college for five years, so the extra year means nothing.

A great way to get a kid to work hard in the off season is throw him to the wolves, so he sees what he needs to do to be ready next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom