Class of 2020 - C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
A great way to get a kid to work hard in the off season is throw him to the wolves, so he sees what he needs to do to be ready next year.

Sure, as long as it doesn’t cost you games, and we know that JB stands on the rather be safe than sorry side. Which I completely agree with. All you have to do is look at a game like the one at Clemson. Jesse was thrown to the wolves, and it cost us the game. Had Marek not got a phantom fifth foul, then we win the game, and stay on the right path to squeezing into the tourney.

You’re talking to a brick wall. Don’t waste your time. Most of us know this about you. Appreciate ya my man.
I know he has his sources. That's fine. I never said he was wrong either. I'll leave it at that. All info shared on here is good info and appreciated. Theres been plenty wrong as well and I'm not about to start pointing that crap out because that's what makes this board crap. Was just saying what I think of Frank is different then what he thinks as well as his sources. Which is fine...let the kids hash it out in practice. He has shared that stuff that was not of his opinion...he has also shared stuff of his own opinion. It's all good, brick wall and all! No need to turn this into a pissing match...then we would need a clean throne. People take so much said on here as gospel. :)

Last edited:
Can I get in on this action? Cookies are great.
here comes otto sticking his nose in again

zondag.gif

As long as Marek doesn't play back-up center I don't care who gets the back-up minutes. All centers take time to develop I can't remember one center in 30+ years to played well as a freshmen, but Sidibe graduates next year and so does Marek so we need to start grooming these big men with real minutes for continuity purposes.

There’s a few that I think did reasonably well, but it does take longer than any other position to develop. Which seems to be lost on some since so many are constantly throwing in the towel on a big that is struggling in his first 2 years. Hell, one bad game as a junior, and the mob has the pitchforks at the ready. Then when the light goes on for a guy in his senior year, they act like they’ve had faith all along. Rak comes to mind as the best example of this. The masses were ready to send him to the gallows his first three years.

I will say that most of those people aren’t around much now, so we have a majority of good guys here these days. They usually don’t come out until the season starts, and they have fresh material to complain about. Though they do stop by now and then to let us know how bad our recruiting has become.

Last edited:
There’s a few that I think did reasonably well, but it does take longer than any other position to develop. Which seems to be lost on some since so many are constantly throwing in the towel on a big that is struggling in his first 2 years. Hell, one bad game as a junior, and the mob has the pitchforks at the ready. Then when the light goes on for a guy in his senior year, they act like they’ve had faith all along. Rak comes to mind as the best example of this. The masses were ready to send him to the gallows his first three years.
Just curious who did reasonably well as a true freshmen?

Sure, as long as it doesn’t cost you games, and we know that JB stands on the rather be safe than sorry side. Which I completely agree with. All you have to do is look at a game like the one at Clemson. Jesse was thrown to the wolves, and it cost us the game. Had Marek not got a phantom fifth foul, then we win the game, and stay on the right path to squeezing into the tourney.
as far as i am concerned, syracuse did enough to get into the tourney

and nobody can prove me wrong

as far as i am concerned, syracuse did enough to get into the tourney

and nobody can prove me wrong

I think we were a tourney team, no doubt. But, we wouldn’t have got in unless we won the ACCT, with a small chance just making it to the Final. We definitely can’t prove you wrong. I see what ya did.

He only played 7 MPG, and played in just 12 games, but I think Mookie did well defensively in his time as a freshman. His per 40 numbers on boards, and blocks were actually his highest in his time here. Not that it means much considering the circumstances, but he held his own in my eyes.

Baye did well enough, and his stats never really changed much from his freshman to senior year. Then I’d throw Fab in there too, as he was okay in his 10 minutes. None of them were world beaters by any means, and it depends on your definition of reasonably well, but I don’t think any of those guys ever created such a big advantage for the opponent that they were a liability as a frosh.

Can even go back to Etan as well, and I think he had a really solid freshman year. His per 40 was 14, and 10, with almost 5 blocks. JB had enough faith in him to give him 16 MPG, so that says it all really. And that’s with a senior Otis Hill, so it wasn’t out of desperation. Speaking of Hill, he’s another one that had a respectable freshman year in my eyes. Almost 8 PPG, with 5.6 boards, and 1.4 blocks. So yeah, there’s a handful of guys that meet my definition of reasonably well. Rony, and Bouie would have to be on the list also, but before my time, and Rony redshirted. No clue if Bouie did.

Last edited:
So curious then, is it a cuse thing with young bigs not being college ready or is it a college basketball thing? Theres plenty of schools that have good luck with freshman bigs coming in and being productive right away isnt there?

So curious then, is it a cuse thing with young bigs not being college ready or is it a college basketball thing? Theres plenty of schools that have good luck with freshman bigs coming in and being productive right away isnt there?

There absolutely are NOT plenty of teams who have centers who come in and produce as freshman. There are maybe 5 good freshman centers a year in all of college basketball on average.

The reason is simple. There are so few good big guys in existence, that in high school you don't run into many of them. Freshman bigs are generally not used to going up against other guys their own size. There is an adjustment period while you learn.

I dont watch much non-SU basketball anymore, so I'm not the authority on this, but this year's freshman class was a strong one for bigs with 3 of the top 5 guys being centers who lived up to the hype - Carey, Stewart, Wiseman (when he played). And even last year you won't find many other productive freshman centers. Gonzaga had one and Illinois had one. Much more common were schools like Oregon, Texas, and Florida who brought in highly ranked fringe McDonald's All American type centers who didn't do much.

Hesitant to even post this because I get jumped on it seems but FWIW, the coaches are still shaky if he will come to SU or not. They have pitched him for the backup role this year and starting next year so there’s that...
Before hearing that, I would also predict the same thing, he would jump Jesse and JBA

Hesitant to even post this because I get jumped on it seems but FWIW, the coaches are still shaky if he will come to SU or not. They have pitched him for the backup role this year and starting next year so there’s that...
Before hearing that, I would also predict the same thing, he would jump Jesse and JBA
So we’re definitely recruiting Mac to play the four, right?

Love this board. So much parity! Got people saying their sources say he will never see the court as a freshman and others saying the coaches want him as a backup this year (meaning he would see time). I wouldnt be shocked if he ends up staying out west or going to WKU. As always, what's cuse recruiting without drama. Thanks for sharing the info! Hope we can pull this off.

There absolutely are NOT plenty of teams who have centers who come in and produce as freshman. There are maybe 5 good freshman centers a year in all of college basketball on average.

The reason is simple. There are so few good big guys in existence, that in high school you don't run into many of them. Freshman bigs are generally not used to going up against other guys their own size. There is an adjustment period while you learn.

I dont watch much non-SU basketball anymore, so I'm not the authority on this, but this year's freshman class was a strong one for bigs with 3 of the top 5 guys being centers who lived up to the hype - Carey, Stewart, Wiseman (when he played). And even last year you won't find many other productive freshman centers. Gonzaga had one and Illinois had one. Much more common were schools like Oregon, Texas, and Florida who brought in highly ranked fringe McDonald's All American type centers who didn't do much.
Good points...I guess it would be interesting to see how many freshman bigs had meaningful minutes this season across the country and how successful they were.

So we’re definitely recruiting Mac to play the four, right?
If Frank comes, I really see one of the bigs transfer either this summer or next and there will be room for Mac for the 5 still. I dont see much “4” in his game but maybe they see enough shooting in junior Jg, senior buddy and *praying* a second year in Griff.

I also think it will be hard to keep Benny off the floor.

He only played 7 MPG, and played in just 12 games, but I think Mookie did well defensively in his time as a freshman. His per 40 numbers on boards, and blocks were actually his highest in his time here. Not that it means much considering the circumstances, but he held his own in my eyes.

Baye did well enough, and his stats never really changed much from his freshman to senior year. Then I’d throw Fab in there too, as he was okay in his 10 minutes. None of them were world beaters by any means, and it depends on your definition of reasonably well, but I don’t think any of those guys ever created such a big advantage for the opponent that they were a liability as a frosh.

Can even go back to Etan as well, and I think he had a really solid freshman year. His per 40 was 14, and 10, with almost 5 blocks. JB had enough faith in him to give him 16 MPG, so that says it all really. And that’s with a senior Otis Hill, so it wasn’t out of desperation. Speaking of Hill, he’s another one that had a respectable freshman year in my eyes. Almost 8 PPG, with 5.6 boards, and 1.4 blocks. So yeah, there’s a handful of guys that meet my definition of reasonably well. Rony, and Bouie would have to be on the list also, but before my time, and Rony redshirted. No clue if Bouie did.
Thanks for the serious response, but all of those players received development minute behind and upper-classmen except for Fab's and Baye's freshmen year because Riley didn't workout. That year was the worse in the 2010-2014 stretch.

But I agree with your enlarger point that they didn't hurt the team while getting some PT, which is why it is important that one of our young centers fills that role this year.

Thanks for the serious response, but all of those players received development minute behind and upper-classmen except for Fab's and Baye's freshmen year because Riley didn't workout. That year was the worse in the 2010-2014 stretch.

But I agree with your enlarger point that they didn't hurt the team while getting some PT, which is why it is important that one of our young centers fills that role this year.

Fair enough. I think Etan getting 16 MPG was more than developmental minutes, but it’s just semantics really. That’s basically my point that we have had a few guys who didn’t hurt us in the time they got. I guess that I agree that the young guys need the minutes to develop. Obviously they do. Still, I’m never gonna be on the side of giving them time just because they need it to develop regardless if they’re ready for it, or not, and if it hurts us, so be it.

I‘m with JB on this one. I know we all watched The Last Dance, and for me it’s like the mindset Jordan had when the front office seemed to want to tank, and miss the playoffs for a better draft pick. That’s just not how I roll either. You play to win, and you can figure out how to get guys ready later. If there’s garbage time to be had, then great. They can have at it.

If Frank can’t handle the reality of the situation, then maybe SDSU, or WKU is better for him. All he has to do is put in the work, and in due time the role that he wants will be there for the taking. Personally, I think we’re fine rolling with the Jesse/JBA duo, and grabbing a big in ‘21. Frank would be a great addition, but if it’s gonna be clouded with chaos, and a posse advocating for more time so he can showcase his abilities, then I’m good on all that. Idk if that’s what the situation is...just saying. I love confidence, but it’s a fine line before it becomes entitlement.

Last edited:
If Frank comes, I really see one of the bigs transfer either this summer or next and there will be room for Mac for the 5 still. I dont see much “4” in his game but maybe they see enough shooting in junior Jg, senior buddy and *praying* a second year in Griff.

I also think it will be hard to keep Benny off the floor.

Love this post because it implies that Benny will be Orange, and he’s probably my favorite recruit outside of Dior. Agree that it will be tough to keep him off the floor from day one, and that’s just fine with me.

Fair enough. I think Etan getting 16 MPG was more than developmental minutes, but it’s just semantics really. That’s basically my point that we have had a few guys who didn’t hurt us in the time they got. I guess that I agree that the young guys need the minutes to develop. Obviously they do. Still, I’m never gonna be on the side of giving them time just because they need it to develop regardless if they’re ready for it, or not, and if it hurts us, so be it.

I‘m with JB on this one. I know we all watched The Last Dance, and for me it’s like the mindset Jordan had when the front office seemed to want to tank, and miss the playoffs for a better draft pick. That’s just not how I roll either. You play to win, and you can figure out how to get guys ready later. If there’s garbage time to be had, then great. They can have at it.

If Frank can’t handle the reality of the situation, then maybe SDSU, or WKU is better for him. All he has to do is put in the work, and in due time the role that he wants will be there for the taking. Personally, I think we’re fine rolling with the Jesse/JBA duo, and grabbing a big in ‘21. Frank would be a great addition, but if it’s gonna be clouded with chaos, and a posse advocating for more time so he can showcase his abilities, then I’m good on all that. Idk if that’s what the situation is...just saying. I love confidence, but it’s a fine line before it becomes entitlement.
Agreed! We play to win the game!

Last year we played 3 guards with the "3rd guard" Hughes playing small forward on defense and point forward on offense during crunch time. Because the coaching staff believed it gave us the best chance to win now, but we were 18-14 so it is not ideal.

Ideally we get back to the roster construction from the 2010-2014 period where we were one of the tallest most athletic teams in the country year in and year out.

That doesn't mean every player works out it means there is completion at every position, and that we recruit to the ideal and respond to the need, i.e. we want or should want one of the center to step up and take the back-up minutes at center, but it doesn't happen we do what we need to do.

Note: 99.9% of athletes are entitled to some degree or another the coaches get paid well to deal with so I'm not crying for them.

Agreed! We play to win the game!

Last year we played 3 guards with the "3rd guard" Hughes playing small forward on defense and point forward on offense during crunch time. Because the coaching staff believed it gave us the best chance to win now, but we were 18-14 so it is not ideal.

Ideally we get back to the roster construction from the 2010-2014 period where we were one of the tallest most athletic teams in the country year in and year out.

That doesn't mean every player works out it means there is completion at every position, and that we recruit to the ideal and respond to the need, i.e. we want or should want one of the center to step up and take the back-up minutes at center, but it doesn't happen we do what we need to do.

Note: 99.9% of athletes are entitled to some degree or another the coaches get paid well to deal with so I'm not crying for them.

I hear ya. Was looking at the 09-10 team the other day, and damn were we loaded. Such a great balance of all the right players, in all the right spots. I really do think that the staff is close to putting together a similar roster. You really just have to hope that everything comes together.

That was a year when the stars aligned, and it was ours for the taking. Then a fluke injury happens in a pointless game, throw in the ridiculousness of the Butler game, and that’s all she wrote. I think we all forget how tough it is to be a contender year in, and year out. You can plan for it all you want, but so much has to happen for it to work out, especially if you’re not pulling in the top guys like UK, and Duke. And even they struggle. JB knows what he needs, but he can’t control when a player decides to leave, or when a recruit that was seemingly ours makes a U-Turn, and goes somewhere else.

Last edited:
But, if Jesse had played all year, he is better in that game. Plus, that's on Marek, for not staying out of trouble.

Love this post because it implies that Benny will be Orange, and he’s probably my favorite recruit outside of Dior. Agree that it will be tough to keep him off the floor from day one, and that’s just fine with me.
Something would have to go sideways for us not to getting Benny. Maryland is the only threat but I still feel we pull it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom