Class of 2019 - C Jesse Edwards (NL/IMG) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Jesse Edwards (NL/IMG) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will I get banned for saying he looks like Taurean Thompson?

Thompson and Chris McCullough are coming to mind as guys he looks kinda similar to in size, how he moves, and potential offensive skill set?

Quincy is probably my favorite incoming recruit we have based off videos and everything we all know so far...but man I am so intrigued by Jesse! Theres not much out there on him but he looks to have a really nice skill set to work with and great size/length. The little rumblings we hear all point to him being a steal and a real hidden gem with crazy upside. I think this kid ends up being really good for us. What "really good" means I dont know but hes going to help us win games. Lots to like here and I think hes a kid that has so much more in the tank and is just starting to figure stuff out. I'm excited to see how he progresses this summer. Heck I'm excited for JBA as well...kids a real hard worker and has been busting his butt in the gym. Sidibe might end up being on the outside looking in unfortunately.

I think Edwards starts day 1, JBA redshirts, and sidibe transfers
Quincy is probably my favorite incoming recruit we have based off videos and everything we all know so far...but man I am so intrigued by Jesse! Theres not much out there on him but he looks to have a really nice skill set to work with and great size/length. The little rumblings we hear all point to him being a steal and a real hidden gem with crazy upside. I think this kid ends up being really good for us. What "really good" means I dont know but hes going to help us win games. Lots to like here and I think hes a kid that has so much more in the tank and is just starting to figure stuff out. I'm excited to see how he progresses this summer. Heck I'm excited for JBA as well...kids a real hard worker and has been busting his butt in the gym. Sidibe might end up being on the outside looking in unfortunately.

Sidibe's future, IMO, is 100% a matter of health. A healthy Sidibe can play -- some posters here were every bit as excited about him as a frosh as some are now for Edwards. When he was relatively healthy early in his frosh year he averaged 5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1 bpg in 18 mpg. Those numbers aren't eye-popping and it's obviously a relatively small sample size. BUT, JB trusted him in key games (Oakland and TX Southern weren't gimmes and that also included UMD and Kansas) and those are really, really solid per 40 numbers (those are basically what Chukwu posted this year in his fifth year of college basketball).

I'm fine with folks being excited about Edwards, but saying Sidibe won't play or will end up transferring, in my opinion, is saying Sidibe won't be healthy. I agree that's a very real possibility but I think a lot people sleep on the potential of Sidibe if he's actually relatively healthy.

Thompson and Chris McCullough are coming to mind as guys he looks kinda similar to in size, how he moves, and potential offensive skill set?

At this point, Edwards is not as fluid as those guys in his movements. He's still learning how to play the game. You watch him and see this is a kid who didn't grow up playing pick-up games in the park. He probably was a soccer player in Holland before he came here.

I think Edwards starts day 1, JBA redshirts, and sidibe transfers

Edwards might start, but he has to get better than he is now to earn it.
I don't think JBA redshirts, and I don't see Sidibe transferring. Who wants an injured center?

At this point, Edwards is not as fluid as those guys in his movements. He's still learning how to play the game. You watch him and see this is a kid who didn't grow up playing pick-up games in the park. He probably was a soccer player in Holland before he came here.

The kid was playing for the amateur squad associated with a Dutch professional team before IMG, so he didn't just pick the game up last December when he arrived in the states. Not going to dig into the nonsense of the comparisons to Thompson or McCullough, which I agree are silly albeit for different reasons.

according to his dutch coach on twitter, he has been playing ball for years and is well schooled in the game. he has an older brother who has played 3 seasons of d1 ball at northern colorado. coach says jesse is the better prospect of the two

jba is the one relatively new to hoops. came to america at the age of 15 having never played the game. he did, in fact, grow up playing soccer.

he'll be facing much tougher competion in the acc than his brother did in the big sky conference, but i think we'd all be happy if edwards as a frosh can produce what big bro did as a freshman:
16 minutes a game, 4.6 pts, 5.3 boards on 68% shooting

The kid was playing for the amateur squad associated with a Dutch professional team before IMG, so he didn't just pick the game up last December when he arrived in the states. Not going to dig into the nonsense of the comparisons to Thompson or McCullough, which I agree are silly albeit for different reasons.

My mistake. Thanks.

according to his dutch coach on twitter, he has been playing ball for years and is well schooled in the game. he has an older brother who has played 3 seasons of d1 ball at northern colorado. coach says jesse is the better prospect of the two

jba is the one relatively new to hoops. came to america at the age of 15 having never played the game. he did, in fact, grow up playing soccer.

Thanks for the correction. I guess I blended the stories together in my head.

In any event, in that workout tape, Edwards still looks a little mechanical, but of course, he's learning the move and doing it a bit slowly to get the footwork.

The last game tape we saw, the IMG scrimmage tape to showcase their post-grads, he looked OK, but that big European kid bullied him around a bit, and Edwards didn't have much success getting to the rim.

There was that highlight tape on Syracuse.com from around the time of his commitment that made him look all-world, but he had at least 3-5 inches on everybody who was trying to guard him.

Last edited:
he'll be facing much tougher competion in the acc than his brother did in the big sky conference, but i think we'd all be happy if edwards as a frosh can produce what big bro did as a freshman:
16 minutes a game, 4.6 pts, 5.3 boards on 68% shooting
that would be extremely encouraging

Thanks for the correction. I guess I blended the stories together in my head.

In any event, in that workout tape, Edwards still looks a little mechanical, but of course, he's learning the move and doing it a bit slowly to get the footwork.

The last game tape we saw, the IMG scrimmage tape to showcase their post-grads, he looked OK, but that big European kid bullied him around a bit, and Edwards didn't have much success getting to the rim.

There was that highlight tape on Syracuse.com from around the time of his commitment that made him look all-world, but he had at least 3-5 inches on everybody who was trying to guard him.
He's learning moves and techniques. Of course they aren't quite yet fluid.

Usually that means the kid reached a point where his size limited his speed/agility to be effective enough in soccer. On the other side, guys who grew up playing soccer have a good chance of having good footwork. Hopefully that’s the case with JBA.

If he ends up being a stud, it would debunk any rumors that Syracuse needs a real big man's coach.
It wasn't a "rumor", just an opinion. I was one of the culprits who came up with it, and I still think it would help our recruiting and player development.

Usually that means the kid reached a point where his size limited his speed/agility to be effective enough in soccer.
in jba's case it was simply because he had no exposure to hoops until he moved to the usa

It wasn't a "rumor", just an opinion. I was one of the culprits who came up with it, and I still think it would help our recruiting and player development.

I’ve never been fully sold on that. Christmas developed as much as anyone we’ve had and we didn’t have a “big man coach” that played in the paint.

The guys that haven’t developed just weren’t very talented IMO. And I’m talking offensively as I assume most are when they discuss this topic.

I can’t think of one stiff we’ve had that really developed. Stiffs are gonna be stiffs no matter what position the guy coaching them played 20 years ago. You can’t get blood from a stone. You just hope they improve a bit and play smart out there and can clog the paint and get some rebounds. And the guys who I can think of that developed were not a surprise because they either showed some offensive aptitude early and were just raw or caught behind someone better, or were super athletic.(Christmas, AO, Jackson, Melo, Watkins, Etan, Hill come to mind).

Also, I think Chukwu improved a lot in his time at SU. The first time I saw him play he looked Sean Williams level. He became a solid defensive player who occasionally could be effective on offense - much moreso than he used to, at least. Improved greatly at the FT line. Had a few monster games. I think you could have him be coached by the greatest big man coach in the history of the world for 4 years, and he would maybe be very minimally better. He’s just limited in terms of physical talent, beyond being tall. Hard worker and tough kid though whose overall basketball awareness really came along.

Last edited:
Just took another look at the 2-4-7-site and he is now listed as a 4-star and #123 recruit so I think this might be a really good find and I think a contributor right away like JB said in his last interview with MW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom