Class of 2017 - C Johnny Jordan (VA) Transferring to Virginia Tech | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C Johnny Jordan (VA) Transferring to Virginia Tech

Now we are getting ridiculous... since when is Virginia Tech a school in the DMV. Geez. It’s a 4+ hour drive away. It’s the equivalent of saying Syracuse is a Boston area school. You fly to DC and drive over for the game, I’ll fly to Greensboro or Charlotte and beat you there by several hours ... It‘s called a map.

I may have misspoke about the DMV thing (Was thinking UVA which is a lot closer to the DMV) but Blacksburg is still 2 hours closer to DC than Syracuse is drive time. You can do DC to Blacksburg round trip in a day realistically by car and you can't do that DC to Syracuse unless you're a maniac. And he had an opportunity to play at SU for the same staff the first time around and chose not to. And it still doesn't negate the point that you can't state definitely he would have gone to Syracuse if offered out of the portal.

So I'll stick with waiting to see the final product out of the portal before I pass judgment.

Last edited:
he had an opportunity to play at SU for the same staff the first time around and chose not to. And it still doesn't negate the point that you can't state definitely he would have gone to Syracuse if offered out of the portal.
So by that metric we should never try and recruit a kid who we offered if he entered the portal. They didn’t come the first time why would they come now. That’s not a reason not to try

yeah, just none by our coaching staff, because - DERELICTION OF DUTY!!!!
Makes me think of

tenor.gif

So by that metric we should never try and recruit a kid who we offered if he entered the portal. They didn’t come the first time why would they come now. That’s not a reason not to try

That's how I see it. And Buddha has been a good poster over the years...unless we don't like what he says I guess.

Now we are getting ridiculous... since when is Virginia Tech a school in the DMV. Geez. It’s a 4+ hour drive away. It’s the equivalent of saying Syracuse is a Boston area school. You fly to DC and drive over for the game, I’ll fly to Greensboro or Charlotte and beat you there by several hours ... It‘s called a map.

I've lived in Arlington or Alexandria, VA for the last 24 years (save for the 3 year Annapolis experiment from 2010 to 2013), and I've pretty much always considered VT to be part of the DMV.

Yeah, it's a LONG drive out 66 and down 81, I've done it. But not really the same comparison as, say, Syracuse to Boston. You can't go 50 feet in this area without running into a Hokie. They're everywhere. They're like cicadas except they unfortunately don't go away for 17 years.

If a kid from NoVA goes to VT, I've always considered it staying local.

I've lived in Arlington or Alexandria, VA for the last 24 years (save for the 3 year Annapolis experiment from 2010 to 2013), and I've pretty much always considered VT to be part of the DMV.

Yeah, it's a LONG drive out 66 and down 81, I've done it. But not really the same comparison as, say, Syracuse to Boston. You can't go 50 feet in this area without running into a Hokie. They're everywhere. They're like cicadas except they unfortunately don't go away for 17 years.

This, considering Chip lives a half mile from me. VT is the hometown team here.

I didn’t say that we should never try with a kid that had picked elsewhere in the past. I said it in the context of this particular recruit, since he committed to a home state school after being in the portal for 4 days. But at least you got a few likes out of cherry picking part of my post and commenting on it out of context.

You have no idea why the staff didn’t reach out to this particular recruit. You have no idea what other prospects they are looking at. There are months left to go in the portal process. But if you want to criticize them for not reaching out to this particular recruit knowing all that, then that’s your prerogative. I’m not doing it. Buddha has a family connection to the kid and he’s frustrated, I understand that, but he only has one side of the story as well. If you make harsh judgements regularly on incomplete information I hope you all are good at apologizing, because you’ll be doing it often :)

Last edited:

I don’t live in the area so I was going to give the benefit of the doubt on VPI being part of the DMV or considered close to it. But appreciate the input from someone who lives there. In reading about his recruitment it was stated he’s from Leesburg VA which is actually even closer to Blacksburg than DC.

Last edited:
I don’t live in the area so I was going to give the benefit of the doubt on VPI being part of the DMV or considered close to it. But appreciate the input from someone who lives there. In reading about his recruitment it was stated he’s from Leesburg VA which is actually even closer to Blacksburg than DC.
Please shut this down, we have heard enough, this player is going somewhere else. End of story.

Please shut it down because people who don't care anymore are inexplicably drawn to it like flies. :rolleyes:

A couple of things are really clear. 1. We didn't really want the kid. If we did, we would have jumped on his recruitment. Like we did with the QB. Now, why didn't we want the kid. No one here knows. Maybe he has a reputation as a bad teammate. Maybe we think we have someone just as good in our system already. Maybe we think with only 4 ships left to us, they would help the team more being spent on other positions. I have no idea. Could be another reason I didn't think of. But it wasn't because our coaches were too lazy to contact this player. Or because they don't care about winning as much as we do. Good luck to him. We move on. Our coaches certainly have.

Johnny played against us in 2018. After seeing first hand how we played that day I'm shocked he was interested at all.

I may have misspoke about the DMV thing (Was thinking UVA which is a lot closer to the DMV) but Blacksburg is still 2 hours closer to DC than Syracuse is drive time. You can do DC to Blacksburg round trip in a day realistically by car and you can't do that DC to Syracuse unless you're a maniac. And he had an opportunity to play at SU for the same staff the first time around and chose not to. And it still doesn't negate the point that you can't state definitely he would have gone to Syracuse if offered out of the portal.

So I'll stick with waiting to see the final product out of the portal before I pass judgment.

Tep624

i think you missed my original point ... we made no effort (none whatsoever) to see whether there was interest despite a significant need at the position. Many of the schools that reached out to him as a grad transfer were also part of his recruitment out of high school. And each were turned down. So it is immaterial whether SU was unsuccessful the first time around. So was everyone else, including VaTech. Finally, whether Johnny would have said yes to a Syracuse offer this time around is likewise immaterial ... I can tell you he would’ve listened, I can also say with certainty (and I think you agree) we need more experienced talent for the 2021 OL. The fact we didn’t take the opportunity to make our case that Syracuse was his best choice is what is so disappointing to me. As you know, I bleed orange and only want success for SU and this staff ... here’s hoping the staff finds a way to fix things (it’s not just the OL, although the OL is a significant part).

As for why the staff chose not to contact him (that‘s my hope as opposed to an oversight) is beyond me ... but I’ll eventually find out. Work and then COVID has kept me out of Syracuse for a long time ... so meetings with the staff haven’t occurred ... hope to rectify that in 2021.

Happy New Year

Last edited:
Tep624

i think you missed my original point ... we made no effort (none whatsoever) to see whether there was interest despite a significant need at the position. Many of the schools that reached out to him as a grad transfer were also part of his recruitment out of high school. And each were turned down. So it is Immaterial whether SU was unsuccessful the first time around. So was everyone else, including VaTech. Finally, whether Johnny would have said yes to a Syracuse offer this time around is likewise immaterial ... I can tell you he would’ve listened, I can also say with certainty (and I think you agree) we need more experienced talent for the 2021 OL. The fact we didn’t take the opportunity to make our case that Syracuse was his best choice is what is so disappointing to me. As you know, i bleed orange and only want success for SU and this staff ... here’s hoping the staff finds a way to fix things (it’s not just the OL, although the OL is a significant part).
Again, we all bleed Orange and want them to win. There is a reason that we didn't reach out. Do you think our coaches are just lazy? Or aren't interested in improving and getting better players thus leading to more wins? I don't believe either is the case. I have no idea what the reason is. But I have to believe that our coaching staff knew he was out there and decided to pass. Whether they have other ideas for the 4 ships left, they think they have a better option on the roster or whatever other reason, they made a decision not to show interest and make an offer. Since I believe that was their decision, I am fine with it.

Tep624

i think you missed my original point ... we made no effort (none whatsoever) to see whether there was interest despite a significant need at the position. Many of the schools that reached out to him as a grad transfer were also part of his recruitment out of high school. And each were turned down. So it is immaterial whether SU was unsuccessful the first time around. So was everyone else, including VaTech. Finally, whether Johnny would have said yes to a Syracuse offer this time around is likewise immaterial ... I can tell you he would’ve listened, I can also say with certainty (and I think you agree) we need more experienced talent for the 2021 OL. The fact we didn’t take the opportunity to make our case that Syracuse was his best choice is what is so disappointing to me. As you know, I bleed orange and only want success for SU and this staff ... here’s hoping the staff finds a way to fix things (it’s not just the OL, although the OL is a significant part).

As for why the staff chose not to contact him (that‘s my hope as opposed to an oversight) is beyond me ... but I’ll eventually find out. Work and then COVID has kept me out of Syracuse for a long time ... so meetings with the staff haven’t occurred ... hope to rectify that in 2021.

Happy New Year

Thanks and no hard feelings. I understand where you’re coming from and why you’re frustrated considering the OL performance and the teams performance this year. I get it.

My issue was less with you and your perspective and more with the people removed from the situation piling on the staff based on what you shared.

Hoping 2021 is a better year for everyone! In all respects :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom