Class of 2017 - C Johnny Jordan (VA) Transferring to Virginia Tech | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C Johnny Jordan (VA) Transferring to Virginia Tech

A - there is a familial relation in the thread saying we didn’t.

B -maybe not but we did recruit the guy out of HS so it’s not like we didn’t want him before

Perhaps we knew he didn’t want us before.
Why would that change?
On the heels of a 1-10 season?

The kid visited Syracuse back in 2016 when he was offered. He also visited VT that year. He knew both campuses. He met some of the current SU coaching staff. He picked the school he thought was best for him.

It just cracks me up when people pass judgement on partial information. There are very few if any people who post here that know all of the prospects the staff is currently evaluating and/or pursuing out of the portal. And there are a TON this year.

Could it be that there's a C or interior line prospect they like better and that's the direction they're going?

Nope, has to be they're lazy, not trying, or not doing their due diligence.

There will be portal activity into the early spring - how about we judge the job the staff did then? I'll be the first to join in ragging on them if we're sitting at the end of Feb/Mar without a quality upperclassman transfer or two for the OL.

it isnt just as easy as transfer in and play either.. if you are a SR dude you need to find a program to go to for school.. Some majors its easy to tack on a Masters or Grad degree.. Some there is no clear cut degree to transfer and take courses in.. CS majors who have graduated what do they take in Yr 5-6 that makes any sense and is something they want to take? if your degree has no masters programs you need to find a school that offers something... What if you are in a med program you probably want to go to a school that offer something in your field and not every college does.. pitt has a much bigger Med program offering than SU..

I think you’re all missing the point that OrangeBudha is literally a close family member of this kid and knows they didn’t reach out to him.

what we don’t know is why they didn’t reach out.

orange Buddha has said if they had reached out to him there would have been mutual interest. He wasn’t sure he would end up at Syracuse but he would have considered it.

Im not going to criticize Dino and company for not reaching out to them, but it does make you wonder if they are confident in this OL to not even try to grab a kid of this caliber

I think you’re all missing the point that OrangeBudha is literally a close family member of this kid and knows they didn’t reach out to him.

orange Buddha has said if they had reached out to him there would have been mutual interest. He wasn’t sure he would end up at Syracuse but he would have considered it.

Im not going to criticize Dino and company for not reaching out to them, but it does make you wonder if they are confident in this OL to not even try to grab a kid of this caliber
Maybe they've pounded the portal and back doored another prospect already?

They offered him back in 2016. He was recruited. He visited campus. He met with staff. He chose UMD. Maybe therein lies the answer.

I’m not missing that point. Just seems a little bit of a stretch to harp on a DMV kid who chose to play in the DMV the first time around rather than at Syracuse when he had the opportunity, and now chose to transfer in the DMV the second time around. It’s not like he went to play someplace outside the DMV.

So basically the staff is being criticized because they didn’t try to recruit a guy who most likely was going to stay closer to home to play his last year.

Last edited:
Yeah I am just not going to beat the staff up over this. Also hopefully people are not going to be doing this for every portal guy out there. Suffice to say we know for a fact that the staff is looking at the portal given Shrader. I trust that knowing that, they will reach out to those the want to target. Pretty simple. Again we can revisit how well the staff did in the off season, once the off season is done. Judging them now makes zero sense.

Couldn't the answer be they have 4 spots left in this class and they believe based on what they have on hand they want to use those spots at positions other than OL?

Couldn't the answer be they have 4 spots left in this class and they believe based on what they have on hand they want to use those spots at positions other than OL?

I hope not. I understand we're bringing in a ton of young OL in this class but we still need more veteran depth. And preferably a starter caliber veteran. We can't go another season with the razor thin depth like this past season unless you enjoy losing seasons. And the incoming class just isn't ready to be on the 2 deep yet.

By that standard there is no point ever looking at a kid we recruited in HS if he goes in the portal. Things do change
Yes, Some things did change. Different OC, different OLine coach but the kid still chose a school in the DMV.

It just cracks me up when people pass judgement on partial information. There are very few if any people who post here that know all of the prospects the staff is currently evaluating and/or pursuing out of the portal. And there are a TON this year.

Could it be that there's a C or interior line prospect they like better and that's the direction they're going?

Nope, has to be they're lazy, not trying, or not doing their due diligence.

There will be portal activity into the early spring - how about we judge the job the staff did then? I'll be the first to join in ragging on them if we're sitting at the end of Feb/Mar without a quality upperclassman transfer or two for the OL.
Facts. People get bits of information and run with that. We dont know the conversations, research or crtieria they use to find the right transfer prospect. They can get a kid like Bleich but all of a sudden they are too lazy to pursue a kid like Jordan?

Last edited:
once again, nothing makes no sense at all. What we know for certain. We recruited the kid before. He knows us. We know him. We didn't reach out to him. There must be a reason for that , that does not include 1. we don't want to win or 2. we are lazy. Once we can conclude that, I am fine with not pursuing the player. Either we are on to someone the staff thinks is better, and they could be wrong about that, or we are focusing our attention on other positions of need with the 4 remaining ships we have to offer. One thing I am very confidant about, no one here knows the answer to those questions.

Last edited:
once again, nothing makes no sense at all. What we know for certain. We recruited the kid before. He knows us. We know him. We didn't reach out to him. There must be a reason for that , that does not include 1. we don't want to win or 2. we are lazy. Once we can conclude that, I am fine with not pursuing the player. Either we are on to someone the staff thinks is better, and they could be wrong about that, or we are focusing our attention on other positions of need with the 4 remaining ships we have to offer. One thing I am very confidant about, no one here knows the answer to those questions.
I think it was obvious where he planned to go.

I have to assume by reading this thread that athletes put their names in the portal then sit back and wait. Is that correct? Players are not allowed to initiate contact with schools that they are interested in?

I have to assume by reading this thread that athletes put their names in the portal then sit back and wait. Is that correct? Players are not allowed to initiate contact with schools that they are interested in?
There's backdoor stuff going on for sure. One example. Player A knows player B is transferring and is interested in playing at player A's school. Player A tells his coaches that player B is looking to trasnfer and wants to know if there's a need at his position there. Keep in mind player A and B could be child hood friends or have some type of connection with each other.

There's backdoor stuff going on for sure. One example. Player A knows player B is transferring and is interested in playing at player A's school. Player A tells his coaches that player B is looking to trasnfer and wants to know if there's a need at his position there. Keep in mind player A and B could be child hood friends or have some type of connection with each other.

Or it could be schools reaching out not to the player directly, but former HS coaches, etc. to gauge interest before or early on when guys hit the portal.

I’m not missing that point. Just seems a little bit of a stretch to harp on a DMV kid who chose to play in the DMV the first time around rather than at Syracuse when he had the opportunity, and now chose to transfer in the DMV the second time around. It’s not like he went to play someplace outside the DMV.

So basically the staff is being criticized because they didn’t try to recruit a guy who most likely was going to stay closer to home to play his last year.

Now we are getting ridiculous... since when is Virginia Tech a school in the DMV. Geez. It’s a 4+ hour drive away. It’s the equivalent of saying Syracuse is a Boston area school. You fly to DC and drive over for the game, I’ll fly to Greensboro or Charlotte and beat you there by several hours ... It‘s called a map.

Last edited:
Now we are getting ridiculous... since when is Virginia Tech a school in the DMV. Geez. It’s a 4+ hour drive away. It’s the equivalent of saying Syracuse is a Boston area school. You fly to DC and drive over for the game, I’ll fly to Greensboro or Charlotte and beat you there by several hours ... It‘s called a map.
And you can fly from DC to Roanoke in 41 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom