Class of 2019 - C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he could become a Channing Frye type player, that'd be great. I haven't seen him make a whole lot of contested outside shots. He doesn't have a jump shot, but a bit more of a set shot with a very slow release. It works for him, but his release and arc look a bit goofy to me. I think he can hit the open outside shot for sure, and maybe that'll be enough with other offensive players around him. Time will tell. I'll certainly be pulling for him.

I'm going to disagree with you there -- it is 100% a jump shot, not a set shot.

Looks like he also has pretty good footwork, albeit in drills from the footage just shown.

Not sure why you seem so hung up on him showing a dribble drive game -- how many fives make lots of plays off of the dribble, creating offensive for themselves?

For those who have seen him or have a good feel for his game, could JBA eventually transition from a 5 to a 4 as his career progressed? Is the potential and footwork there for him to get out on the wing and recover defensively, or is he strictly a 5 during his four years on the hill?

I'm going to disagree with you there -- it is 100% a jump shot, not a set shot.

Looks like he also has pretty good footwork, albeit in drills from the footage just shown.

Not sure why you seem so hung up on him showing a dribble drive game -- how many fives make lots of plays off of the dribble, creating offensive for themselves?
Ok, but it's a weird jump shot. Not much lift, and it's a slow/low release. But hey, it seems to work for him. I'm more concerned with the lack of low post game or ability to finish with contact. I mentioned the ability to drive the ball because others have posited that he's not a back to the basket type guy but more of a face up guy. A face up guy will fare much better if he has the ability to attack the basket at least a little bit. Others have also suggested that he could be used at the four spot which would likely require a bit more ability to drive the ball.

Like I said, it'll be interesting to see him play. I agree that the comparison to BMK wasn't a good one, and was surprised to see it suggested. I don't know who I'd compare his game to. I'm not sure SU has ever had a guy quite like him. He's not a bruiser (Otis, Arinze type), but he's nothing like BMK either. It'll be interesting to see how he's utilized. Channing Frye is an interesting comp... time will tell.

I know that the traditional center position is becoming outdated in today's game. JBA's shot will certainly spread the floor. I just wish he could bang a bit more. He doesn't finish well through contact or go up too strong, but maybe that'll come in time. He'll be interesting to watch. He's definitely a project player.

Last edited:
Elvir was really the only guy coming to mind as a 5 that was allowed to bomb it.
Lydon. Not a true 5 but played 5 for us for long stretches. Probably logged more minutes at 5 than DC in 16 and DC/Chewy in 17.

Lydon. Not a true 5 but played 5 for us for long stretches. Probably logged more minutes at 5 than DC in 16 and DC/Chewy in 17.
Fair enough.

Know it all SU fans: “We need more shooting! In the modern offense it’s all about spacing the floor! We need bigs who can shoot! The low post and inside game is dead!”

SU signs a big who can shoot.

Know it all SU fans: “Needs a better low post game! And plus he doesn’t even jump high when he shoots!”

For those who have seen him or have a good feel for his game, could JBA eventually transition from a 5 to a 4 as his career progressed? Is the potential and footwork there for him to get out on the wing and recover defensively, or is he strictly a 5 during his four years on the hill?
I dont think so.

So when he’s setting screens for Torrence 22 feet from the hoop, he’ll be a threat on the pick and pop right? Just don’t pump fake like Lydon right? Let it fly big man, let it fly!

Know it all SU fans: “We need more shooting! In the modern offense it’s all about spacing the floor! We need bigs who can shoot! The low post and inside game is dead!”

SU signs a big who can shoot.

Know it all SU fans: “Needs a better low post game! And plus he doesn’t even jump high when he shoots!”

Who demanded a big that could shoot? It's a bonus though that's for sure.

IMG_2974.JPG

Last edited:
Who demanded a big that could shoot? It's a bonus though that's for sure.

Like I said...don’t really know who says what for the most part.

I know I’ve read the sentiment many times that we need to “modernize” the offense by putting 4 or even 5 guys who can shoot on the floor. Putting a big who can pick and pop off the high ball screens, etc.

i've seen him listed on some sites as a 4, and from the few clips i've seen i guess it is possible but i'm skeptical

it reminds me of when bmk signed, and his coach at oak hill saying that he could develop into a 4 ... 4/5s are a great thing, but it seems those are usually 4s who can play up rather than 5s who can play down

Like I said...don’t really know who says what for the most part.

I know I’ve read the sentiment many times that we need to “modernize” the offense by putting 4 or even 5 guys who can shoot on the floor. Putting a big who can pick and pop off the high ball screens, etc.
It has been criticized many times, when we have one of our 5s catching a pass at the top of the key, without an ability to shoot, dribble, or make a meaningful pass from that position. Drives me batty. If we’re going to bring the center out that far, it should be with an effective purpose.

Ok, but it's a weird jump shot. Not much lift, and it's a slow/low release. But hey, it seems to work for him. I'm more concerned with the lack of low post game or ability to finish with contact. I mentioned the ability to drive the ball because others have posited that he's not a back to the basket type guy but more of a face up guy. A face up guy will fare much better if he has the ability to attack the basket at least a little bit. Others have also suggested that he could be used at the four spot which would likely require a bit more ability to drive the ball.

Like I said, it'll be interesting to see him play. I agree that the comparison to BMK wasn't a good one, and was surprised to see it suggested. I don't know who I'd compare his game to. I'm not sure SU has ever had a guy quite like him. He's not a bruiser (Otis, Arinze type), but he's nothing like BMK either. It'll be interesting to see how he's utilized. Channing Frye is an interesting comp... time will tell.

I know that the traditional center position is becoming outdated in today's game. JBA's shot will certainly spread the floor. I just wish he could bang a bit more. He doesn't finish well through contact or go up too strong, but maybe that'll come in time. He'll be interesting to watch. He's definitely a project player.

To me, a set shot is one with virtually no lift, where the offensive player has a mechanical aim / release technique. In literally every clip of JBA shooting, he gets his legs into every shot. There is a discernible jump on every shot he takes from the perimeter -- hence why I disagree with the observation that it is more of a set shot. He's clearly taking jump shots. Where I think you might be deriving that from is that there were a few clips where he got the ball at the three point line, then sized his defender up before letting fly. That doesn't make it a set shot, or convey that he has a slow release, IMO.

There were a couple of clips where his release point looked low. But the vast majority that didn't appear to be the case. On one noticeable clip where it looked really low, it was a practice clip, and I wonder if it was the low camera angle making it look like a lower release than what it actually was.

I think that the bigger consideration is that he has a smooth shot, he's comfortable taking it, and he makes them cleanly which suggests good rotation / follow through [which is also suggested by his hand placement / wrist mechanics after he shoots]. It would be one thing if he had funky form, and was shooting the ball really slowly against smaller defenders -- that would be a red flag.

To me, a set shot is one with virtually no lift, where the offensive player has a mechanical aim / release technique. In literally every clip of JBA shooting, he gets his legs into every shot. There is a discernible jump on every shot he takes from the perimeter -- hence why I disagree with the observation that it is more of a set shot. He's clearly taking jump shots. Where I think you might be deriving that from is that there were a few clips where he got the ball at the three point line, then sized his defender up before letting fly. That doesn't make it a set shot, or convey that he has a slow release, IMO.

There were a couple of clips where his release point looked low. But the vast majority that didn't appear to be the case. On one noticeable clip where it looked really low, it was a practice clip, and I wonder if it was the low camera angle making it look like a lower release than what it actually was.

I think that the bigger consideration is that he has a smooth shot, he's comfortable taking it, and he makes them cleanly which suggests good rotation / follow through [which is also suggested by his hand placement / wrist mechanics after he shoots]. It would be one thing if he had funky form, and was shooting the ball really slowly against smaller defenders -- that would be a red flag.
Funky or not funky, as long as it goes in that's what's most important. There are definitely things to like about his game, and things to improve, like all players, I guess. I will enjoy watching him!

Funky or not funky, as long as it goes in that's what's most important. There are definitely things to like about his game, and things to improve, like all players, I guess. I will enjoy watching him!

Agreed, but if he had a funky corkscrew or serious mechanical flaws, it would be one of those things that I wouldn't expect to translate to the next level. Fortunately, this kid's release point, form, and results suggest that his shooting WILL.

Agreed, but if he had a funky corkscrew or serious mechanical flaws, it would be one of those things that probably wouldn't translate to the next level. Fortunately, this kid's release point, form, and results suggest that his shooting WILL.
Your point is correct, but there are exceptions. See Eric Devendorf.

I realize not everyone has Instagram but I wanted to share this trainers page because on his IG Story he has some clips of john that are worth watching. I dont think there's a way to save them so you will have to watch them soon before they disappear...jba looks good in the drills.

Aaron Johnson (@iamkindofabgdeal) • Instagram photos and videos

I realize not everyone has Instagram but I wanted to share this trainers page because on his IG Story he has some clips of john that are worth watching. I dont think there's a way to save them so you will have to watch them soon before they disappear...jba looks good in the drills.

Aaron Johnson (@iamkindofabgdeal) • Instagram photos and videos
i see cliff omuruyi working out with him there, too. big cliff is #2 on my wish list for 2020

i see cliff omuruyi working out with him there, too. big cliff is #2 on my wish list for 2020
Yea if u go to that trainers and business ig he looks like hes worked with a lot of good players. Glad JBA is getting some good work in, I think he will be a overachiever compared to his recruiting ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom