Class of 2019 - C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think this kid is much better then a lot of people realize. 6'11 can shoot the deep ball and has a serviceable handle. Offensive skill set that's hard to teach with bigs. I really like this kid.

No way, guy in video is Kevin Durant, right?

I mean, I saw a kid who could shoot the three, pump fake & take to hoop, throw up floaters, and was comfortable handling the ball.

One play he pump faked at three point line & took one dribble to get to the hole!

And his shot looks way better than some early videos I just watched (where it was more of a “push” shot).

How can this kid be ranked second to last in his class? (Ok, slight exaggeration)

Baye couldn’t shoot/handle like that ever. Pretty sure most bigs couldn’t do that stuff so comfortably (in games) in high school. Doubt guys like RAK or Rick could. Fab prob could.

JL, you're from Spectrum? Let me know who I should strangle there ... the one who made the decision to abandon local sports programming (trade away important content for profit). Spectrum has been absolutely TERRIBLE with SU coverage - not to mention other local sports programs along the thruway corridor in upstate.

Sure do! Feel free to DM me. I know lately there's been SU content almost every night, but more so leading up to the game each week and it's pretty repetitive. My guess is that you dislike like the lack of newer/updated coverage?

Sure do! Feel free to DM me. I know lately there's been SU content almost every night, but more so leading up to the game each week and it's pretty repetitive. My guess is that you dislike like the lack of newer/updated coverage?
Thx for the reply, Jer. Sorry for the strident comments, but I was referring to 3d tier programming not to Spectrum news.

After the TW switch, Spectrum cancelled all the SU shows. These were very popular here in upstate - Syracuse Sidelines, originally emceed by Mark Larson and then Brian Higgins, was fantastic for football, basketball and lacrosse. They also had two separate re-broadcasts/wrapups of all the FB games - one of those shows was called "Syracuse 60". Great fun and good analysis -- Adam Terry and Andre' Fontinette did FB, Rosie and the former Colgate coach did BB. I think Matt Park/IMG helped out with Lacrosse.

ALL GONE.

Since then, it's been a moonscape - and Spectrum has made no effort to support SU or any other local sports in the communities that it serves as a public utility, despite raising rates significantly (and another increase recently). It seems like Spectrum is all about profit with no sense of place or community. I would really like to have a man to man conversation with some of the higher-ups there.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks this guy is Chino really needs to watch video on him.

I think he made a smart move transferring to Westtown. Much better competition and a proven track record of developing players for the next level. Am biased as a former basketball player at Westtown and school MVP award winner. Agree, recent clips of him seem to be much improved over older ones. Will take time to develop at SU but the future is bright for this kid to develop into a nice ACC level player.

I think he made a smart move transferring to Westtown. Much better competition and a proven track record of developing players for the next level.
Am biased as a former basketball player at Westtown and school MVP award winner
. Agree, recent clips of him seem to be much improved over older ones. Will take time to develop at SU but the future is bright for this kid to develop into a nice ACC level player.

Nice job working that drive-by gloat in there. ;)

Is there any decent footage of him out there? I've looked a few times, might have just missed it, but I cant seem to find anything recent other than a few short clips and practice footage. Im hoping once his high school season gets rolling we'll get to see a little more in game action

People are slaves to the rankings. They count the stars and their minds are made up. But there are plenty of players making millions of dollars in the NBA who were three stars or less.
Plus those who are comparing JBA to Chino likely have never seen JBA's highlights or are not aware of the injuries he had that caused him to miss time and have his production and accordingly his ratings drop. I'm very bullish on his signing and credit the staff for staying on him and making him feel wanted when other schools lost interest when he got hurt. Big guys who are athletic and can shoot are worth taking a shot on

No way, guy in video is Kevin Durant, right?

I mean, I saw a kid who could shoot the three, pump fake & take to hoop, throw up floaters, and was comfortable handling the ball.

One play he pump faked at three point line & took one dribble to get to the hole!

And his shot looks way better than some early videos I just watched (where it was more of a “push” shot).

How can this kid be ranked second to last in his class? (Ok, slight exaggeration)

Baye couldn’t shoot/handle like that ever. Pretty sure most bigs couldn’t do that stuff so comfortably (in games) in high school. Doubt guys like RAK or Rick could. Fab prob could.
I saw a tall kid playing against way smaller, slower opponents who were not able to guard their man and get in front of the opponent. From the video, Ajak has a nice shot but looked a little slow on the release. He recognized whenTo take the ball to the bucket and to finish.

Good points and bad but he is young and tall as well as shows the ability to play the game. One video does not make him a good player. The coaching staff see potential in his skills. We will see. I hope he proves to be a good player.

I just read the back and forth between RF and General Joe in the Stewart thread. It reminded me of the article Syr.com did right after Lydon committed. It outlined his strengths and it included some comments from his HS coach about how he was similar to Chandler Parsons.

The first comment after the article was something like “Just what we need, another Celuck or Gorman to sit the bench for four years.”

Alot of people on here have never ever seen a JBA game. I can tell by the assessment they have of him. Here's your first game film of him from last week.

First, thank you for positing the footage. I went through a good portion of the game and while I skipped around some and may have missed a few things. Its also just 1 game so the sample size is relatively small but I was surprisingly unimpressed with his rebounding and defense. For someone of his size he should be a much bigger factor on that end of the floor, he just looks disinterested and/or a little lost at times (they played a good deal of zone). The good news is I think that is teachable. Athletically he looks ok, Id put him somewhere at the Keita level, coordination/foot speed about the same but its tough knowing where kids of this size are as far as physical development is concerned. They could still be growing into their body, or what you see is what you get, tough to tell.

Offensively, I think he looked pretty decent actually. Not a physical player by any stretch but he did some nice things. Took a couple fade away jumpers (ex. 14:40) that didn't go in but looked good. Attacked the basket a few times some with pump fakes (18:15, 39:40, 42:10, 45:35, 46:18) and hit a couple 3's (26:15, 27:50 mark) which looked smooth. Think he had like 18 points give or take. I like the potential he showed on this end of the floor.

Lots of factors go into where kids are on the development curve, especially big kids who haven't been playing their whole life but I think he is a little bit of a project but could project well as a rotational/depth player in his 2nd or 3rd year on the Hill.

I usually dont do highlights as i prefer to watch study and analyze full games. That said here are the highlights of JBA first game this season s 96-62 blowout win. Enjoy folks. Remember one of these kids is going to Syracuse nexy year.

Looks like he didn’t play much and when he did he was invisible. He’s not #22

Is this kid an offensive threat at all? I see he is a commit for next year and we need front court help.

Is this kid an offensive threat at all? I see he is a commit for next year and we need front court help.
He will see no playing time next year and very little his sophomore year.

He will see no playing time next year and very little his sophomore year.
Your kidding? Chino gave us very little in 3 years is this kid better him than or Mike Williams?
I got no problem with a project but if the kid can’t even see the court for a whole year unless it’s a RS injury what the heck are wasting a scholarship for them?

Your kidding? Chino gave us very little in 3 years is this kid better him than or Mike Williams?
I got no problem with a project but if the kid can’t even see the court for a whole year unless it’s a RS injury what the heck are wasting a scholarship for them?
I see more in this kid than I ever saw out of Chino. In my humbol opinion I think he will be more than serviceable at the 5 by junior year. Hoping to bring in someone else big in the spring or something.

Because we get 13 scholarships. JB will never have a rotation that makes use of 13 players. Those last 2, 3 or 4 scholarships have to be used on guys that won’t come in expecting playing time, but may help down the line or be “break glass in case of emergency” depth. There are a couple of options (1) a transfer who has to sit out, (2) a redshirt or (3) a player who isn’t ready to contribute but with a year or two of practice and strength & conditioning he may be a contributor.

If you end up using the scholarship on someone that doesn’t look like they will develop into a contributor you help them find another situation, move on and reallocate the scholarship. Lots of examples over the years. I think you should expect a lot of those guys won’t work out, but when we have a full compliment of 13 scholarships it’s not that big a deal when they don’t.

Not that hard to understand.

Couple things here...
#1 - Ajak looks athletically capable with some solid fundamentals. I may get blasted but he looks a lot more like an SU type big ala Rak than the Wahab kid does though I know he's much higher rated.

#2 And perhaps most important. I don;t know if this has been mentioned but did anyone notice the teammate of Ajak's he was working against and then playing along #14. Kid looks like a beast and bigger and stronger than Ajak. So I did a little searching and discovered that another center transferred to Westtown this year...none other than the #2 rated Center and #16 overall player in the 2021 class named Franck Kepnang (also uses Franck Manuel Kepnang Ndjong). 6'10" 220 lbs and already has a Syracuse offer. Hopefully these kids have a good year and develop some camaraderie on the court that carries over to the Dome in a few years. Ajak would likely be a RS Soph ready to take over from departing senior Sidibe. Hmmm. (the only hole in this theory is someone besides Bourama and/or MD is going to have to play some center next year.

Last edited:

He’s got high upside and can shoot. He’s struggled since he got hurt over the summer and at one point was a kid Nova was recruiting.

I remember watching Rakeem play a full game in HS. He sucked. He looked completely disinterested and lazy.

Kids change ALOT once they start playing against college players and understand how hard and physical they have to play to not get embarrassed.

He’s got size and actually showed some dropstep foot work. Big guys especially can’t always be judged on HS tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom