Class of 2019 - C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dolezaj is not a C.
He is totally playing there out of necessity.
Sidibe hasn’t shown any improvement this year. He is a foul machine when he plays.
If JBA can’t even be a rotation piece next year we are screwed if we don’t add another PF/C.
Dolezaj/Sidibe aren’t enough.
It’s terrible roster management to consistently play guys out of position as much as we are doing.
Dolezaj is a SF.
you can shake your fist at the moon all you want, but reality is what it is

this is the roster. and jb has won (and is winning) with similar (and even less desirable) center depth

this is the roster. and jb has won (and is winning) with similar (and even less desirable) center depth
Without looking at the stats, it feels like we play pretty well with Marek at the 5. He certainly doesn't feel like a liability there or anything.

We are winning enough games to be medicore.
Wow.
Sorry having the expectation to be a top team in the league and a NC is me shaking my fist.
My god. Our roster needs a C/PF.

Without looking at the stats, it feels like we play pretty well with Marek at the 5. He certainly doesn't feel like a liability there or anything.
Marek is not big enough weight wise to handle guys with weight.
He is 180 pounds I don’t think its a problem to play him some minutes at the 5 but he is 30 pounds less than Tyler Lydon.

He is 180 pounds I don’t think its a problem to play him some minutes at the 5 but he is 30 pounds less than Tyler Lydon.
Yeah, there's been like, one guy that size in the history of college hoops to worry about.

Plus, that guy plays forward.

Yeah, there's been like, one guy that size in the history of college hoops to worry about.

Plus, that guy plays forward.
UNC bigs abuse us.
It comes down to coaching.
The real think I have learned watching college basketball is the coaches for the most part are really dumb.
If you have a smart coach like a Buzz it’s noticeable. A lot of coaches don’t take advantage of what works over and over like they will in the NBA.
Good coaches abuse our weaknesses are just lucky there are a lot of dumb coaches.
JBA needs to be able to play next year.
Dolezaj and Sidibe is not enough at C.

We are winning enough games to be medicore.
Wow.
Sorry having the expectation to be a top team in the league and a NC is me shaking my fist.
My god. Our roster needs a C/PF.

No doubt. Just as he argued in another thread how Taurean Thompson was the "heir apparent" for the 5 spot then, don't you know that JBA is the next "heir apparent" for that spot next season. ;):)

We outrebounded them 41-35 in 2013-14, the only time we have beaten them since our ACC entrance.

Well, it was our best team (according to ACC conference record to date at 14-4) and not one of UNC's better/dominate team's. They lost 10 games that season, which for them, is quite below their typical standing, along to losing to a #9 seeded Iowa State team in the Dance.

uhhh ... jb & his "beanpole" centers won that game

... and to get back on thread track: jba is 230 poinds

Well, it was our best team (according to ACC conference record to date at 14-4) and not one of UNC's better/dominate team's. They lost 10 games that season, which for them, is quite below their typical standing, along to losing to a #9 seeded Iowa State team in the Dance.

Just saying...

uhhh ... jb & his "beanpole" centers won that game

... and to get back on thread track: jba is 230 poinds
So because we won one game it proves the point that beanpole centers work?
What type of comment in this.
It just kills debate.
We all want to win games.
I am glad we beat Duke but playing tall SF at C is not good over the course of a season.
Kevin Durant is 6’10” he doesn’t guard bigs like Joel Embiid or Karl-Anthony Towns or Anthony Davis.
He guards forwards.
We need a center for next year or JBA needs to be able to play meaningful minutes.
This is on the assumption we actually want a conference contender and NC contender and not just a medicore program with double digit losses and just playing for a tournament run of winning a couple of games.
Having a team that is top 25 all season long isn’t a lot to ask for.

Last edited:
What type of comment in this.
It just kills debate.
We all want to win games.
I am glad we beat Duke but playing tall SF at C is not good over the course of a season.
Kevin Durant is 6’10” he doesn’t guard bigs like Joel Embiid or Karl-Anthony Towns or Anthony Davis.
He guards forwards.
We need a center for next year or JBA needs to be able to play meaningful minutes.
This is on the assumption we actually want a conference contender and NC contender and not just a medicore program with double digit losses and just playing for a tournament run of winning a couple of games.
He's proving your point by citing Duke - clearly we won that (first) game because Chukwu had 18 rebounds. JB, himself, observed in his pg-presser that when he (a real center) plays like that we're a DIFFERENT TEAM. Exactly the point here ... it elevates the team.

OTOH, to O/G's point, that doesn't mean that we can't survive 5 minutes with MD in the middle. It works for limited periods of time, especially against smaller/more mobile teams. It's just not ideal. I don't think there's really an argument about that.

Last edited:
He's proving your point by citing Duke - clearly we won that (first) game because Chukwu had 18 rebounds. JB, himself, observed in his pg-presser that when he (a real center) plays like that we're a DIFFERENT TEAM. Exactly the point here ... it elevates the team.

OTOH, to O/G's point, that doesn't mean that we can't survive 5 minutes with MD in the middle. It works for limited periods of time, especially against smaller/more mobile teams. It's just not ideal. I don't think there's really an argument about that.
Chukwu isn’t Dolezaj though.
Chukwu is a C.
Dolezaj isn’t.
So by citing Duke and bean pole centers that is in reference to Dolezaj not Chukwu.
Chukwu is a light but atleast is over 200 pounds and is a C.
Dolezaj is 180 pounds and not a C,

no but it disproves your argument that they can't
you are confusing what you want with what jb needs. again, he has proven that he can win without a perfect roster. its part of what sets him apart from other great coaches
when a program is still laboring under the impact of heavy sanctions, yes it is

no but it disproves your argument that they can't

you are confusing what you want with what jb needs. again, he has proven that he can win without a perfect roster. its part of what sets him apart from other great coaches

when a program is still laboring under the impact of heavy sanctions, yes it is
1. What are you talking about 1 Duke game doesn’t mean your point is correct. Chukwu was good during the Duke game. He has been bad numerous times as well my god that is like me citing Old Dominion, Buffalo, and UConn as to counter and I don’t want to do that.
The C position has been medicore at best since Tyler Lydon has left and is being generous.
This doesn’t mean Marek Dolezaj is a C. He isn’t. He is playing the middle
Of the zone that doesn’t mean he is a C.

Second, if JB is happy with Dolezaj/Sidibe/JBA as his C rotation next year he is S-T-U-P-I-D and I don’t think he is stupid. It’s not what I just want it’s what all SU fans should want.
We have no offense from the 5 outside of dunks or putbacks. You wonder why our offense stalls during games if we don’t hit 3’s it’s because of this. Just put us as medicore next year if we have a C rotation of Dolezaj/Sidibe/JBA barring Sidibe being improved by a lot.

Third, STOP with the sanctions. My god. It’s a joke. The sanctions cost us Kevin Huerter. We lost 2 scholarships for 4 years. You know how many times JB has 13 scholarship players from 2005 till 2014?
It is 1 season. JB always put walkons on scholarship for APR help and as rewards and always had a project on the roster like Mike Williams/Devin McBride or Chino Obokoh.
Jeez the sanctions cost us these projects and walkons on scholarship.

If we are going to make chit up without evidence. I will say JB undercutting Mike Hopkins hurt us as much as the sanctions did before Hop left.

Chukwu isn’t Dolezaj though.
Chukwu is a C.
Dolezaj isn’t.
So by citing Duke and bean pole centers that is in reference to Dolezaj not Chukwu.
Chukwu is a light but atleast is over 200 pounds and is a C.
Dolezaj is 180 pounds and not a C,
You're probably right about his reference. But all the same, the game supports your point b/c the real center in that game had 18 rebounds. He's also using wins/losses as a red herring ... as though any game in which MD plays center is an automatic loss. No one's saying that. It's just less effective when you have a 180-lb. forward playing in the middle -- duh.

Last edited:
1. What are you talking about 1 Duke game doesn’t mean your point is correct. Chukwu was good during the Duke game. He has been bad numerous times as well my god that is like me citing Old Dominion, Buffalo, and UConn as to counter and I don’t want to do that.
The C position has been medicore at best since Tyler Lydon has left and is being generous.

Second, if JB is happy with Dolezaj/Sidibe/JBA as his C rotation next year he is S-T-U-P-I-D and I don’t think he is stupid. It’s not what I just want it’s what all SU fans should want.
We have no offense from the 5 outside of dunks or putbacks. You wonder why our offense stalls during games if we don’t hit 3’s it’s because of this. Just put us as medicore next year if we have a C rotation of Dolezaj/Sidibe/JBA barring Sidibe being improved by a lot.

Third, STOP with the sanctions. My god. It’s a joke. The sanctions cost us Kevin Huerter. We lost 2 scholarships for 4 years. You know how many times JB has 13 scholarship players from 2005 till 2014?
It is 1 season. JB always put walkons on scholarship for APR help and as rewards and always had a project on the roster like Mike Williams/Devin McBride or Chino Obokoh.

If we are going to make chit up without evidence. I will say JB undercutting Mike Hopkins hurt us as much as the sanctions did before Hop left.
The sanctions hurt us more than anything.

you literally do not know what you are talking about

i have n

Having a talented true in this league is a very important for success. He doesnt have to be a 5* monster but you need size and skill at that position. I agree with fact that while MD does a nice job spelling minutes at that position and can hold his own against some of the back end of the ACC at the 5 spot, but he has, and will continue to have trouble against teams with talent. If you look at RJ Barrett in the second Duke game this year he went right into MD chest on a number of plays in the paint to get separation and score. While Barrett is obviously a stud, he would have had a much harder time scoring against a big who could hold their ground and contest shots. Barrett's points in the paint killed us that game.

The sanctions hurt us more than anything.
The sanctions cost us Huerter so they hurt us.
I am aware of the restriction of only 3 coaches on the road as well you know the truth about Hop and JB.
We didn’t have a defined plan either till Hop left. That hurt us a lot.
Also you aren’t arguing Dolezaj/Sidibe are a duo at C you can compete highly at the ACC level next year.
We won’t suck but we will be like this year. Losing Battle/Howard/Chukwu we need Carey to develop or hope the Freshmen are ready.
JBA needs to be more than just a project if we don’t bring in another C/PF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom