Class of 2018 - C/OG Tyrone Sampson Portal from Fresno St | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 C/OG Tyrone Sampson Portal from Fresno St

Yeah, football recruiting is almost pointless to pay attention to until like January but even if the disappointing occurs, there are still some really good things about this news:

1. You get a kid who has a ton of options to jump on board early. Adds a bunch of legitimacy to the message Dino and co. are putting out there.

2. You land a good lineman. I have to figure that this offense is going to be an easy sell to skill position guys. I also feel like skill position guys are easier to find in the 2- and 3-star range. You aren't going to find many Julio Joneses in that area, but guys like Erv Phillips can do damage and you can find them outside the top 300 or whatever. So finding good lineman and good QBs is key and we seem to have found some.

3. Recruiting appears to be a strength ... period. We've had a ton of recruiting obstacles since the P era that probably are unfair to lay at the feet of the coaches. But this is a staff that seems resourceful (see all the transfers), personable and absolutely intent on changing the profile of the kids we're signing.

One recruit who hasn't even signed doesn't cure all ills, but you have to be excited about the direction of this program right now.
Maybe it's just me but I've been excited about the direction of the program and recruiting since last year.

Maybe it's just me but I've been excited about the direction of the program and recruiting since last year.

I am as well. I truly believe that we will pull at least one upset this year @ LSU, @ Miami, @ FSU, @ Louisville or Clemson at home. When we get to 7 or 8 wins this year with a major upset I think Dino will get the ball rolling with more 4 stars and top 300 guys. I am definitely in the crowd that believes the football program is heading in the right direction. Can't wait for Saturday to catch a glimpse of this fall.

I'd say I've been very hopeful and encouraged for the most part, but I literally can't remember the last time a 4-star OL committed to us this early. Plus I feel really good about Horan, who feels like a throwback recruit (get a guy with good size and athleticism and bulk him up to play OL). Just love having two rock-solid OL prospects lined up this early. Don't remember that happening much since at least the mid-90s

I'd say I've been very hopeful and encouraged for the most part, but I literally can't remember the last time a 4-star OL committed to us this early. Plus I feel really good about Horan, who feels like a throwback recruit (get a guy with good size and athleticism and bulk him up to play OL). Just love having two rock-solid OL prospects lined up this early. Don't remember that happening much since at least the mid-90s
I would say getting an early commitment from an elite 11 QB last year in DeVito was as important.

Congrats to HCDFB on getting this young man on board. I like the fact we are bringing in not only a high end talent at the center position but a guy who actually played the position. Converting other lineman to center is fine but there is a learning curve with that approach and it does not always work out. Great pickup early in the cycle and one that could be tone setting. Go Cuse!

Agree , totally. This kid reminds me of a friend of mine, from my hometown, Amsterdam, ny. Josh Beekman, a kid with the same measureables, from Amsterdam hs, PP recruited him but he opted for BC. Had a great career and drafted by the bears, played 5 years or so in the league. This kid reminds me alot of josh and thats a great thing.
BC had a pipeline in Amsterdam for a while - what was the RB's name - Smith?

Gotta love that article, extremely excited about this guy! Unique perspective on the situation for a guy his age, especially with as much recognition as he's been receiving...

I'm not worried about his ability or star rating. If they offered a guy that early in the process, they knew what they wanted. Apparently, he appreciated that...

The stars are a bonus baby! Early enrollee is music to my ears

This was Dino's biggest concern about SU - attracting top level recruits. If he continues to recruit kids of this caliber, he will stay mostly likely until he retires - assuming he wins and in turn SU bumps his comp.

His current $2.5 million comp is in line with other P5 schools and where the program is performing today. If he both recruits at the top 25 level and wins to finish in the top 25 by end of next year, SU will need to bump him up by at least $1 to $1.5 million to keep him.

By then SUAD will have the money too through the new ACC TV money AND most importantly, increased attendance and a packed Dome for most games!

Exciting times ahead first with Devito last year and Sampson this year. If Dino can land 2 or 3 more top 300 kids this year, look out!

Last edited:
I would say getting an early commitment from an elite 11 QB last year in DeVito was as important.

No doubt and TD was a solid asset recruiting others as well. But I feel like this is a system that will allow others who maybe aren't elite prospects to thrive. OL though I can't really remember getting a huge commit from a big-time OL this early. I'm sure it's happened but it just feels like a sea change type of commitment to me, potentially at least.

This was Dino's biggest concern about SU - attracting top level recruits. If he continues to recruit kids of this caliber, he will stay mostly likely until he retires - assuming he wins and in turn SU bumps his comp.

His current $2.5 million comp is in line with other P5 schools and where the program is performing today. If he both recruits at the top 25 level and wins to finish in the top 25 by end of next year, SU will need to bump him up by at least $1 to $1.5 million to keep him.

By then SUAD will have the money too through the new ACC TV money AND most importantly, increased attendance and a packed Dome for most games!

Exciting times ahead first with Devito last year and Sampson this year. If Dino can land 2 or 3 more top 300 kids this year, look out!
When we start winning again, the fans alone will pay for his upgraded paycheck.

Last edited:
It is so great to hear from one of our recruits make a statement like this that when he is at the Opening Finals, "All those schools that are winning that have got commits there like Alabama and Michigan, their guys will be there and I'll be the Syracuse commit beating all those guys." " They're just going to see that Syracuse is the place to be." :)

It is so great to hear from one of our recruits make a statement like this that when he is at the Opening Finals, "All those schools that are winning that have got commits there like Alabama and Michigan, their guys will be there and I'll be the Syracuse commit beating all those guys." " They're just going to see that Syracuse is the place to be." :)

That PS article makes me feel a LOT more confident about our ability to hang onto this kid.

Glad to see he plans on enrolling early.

Honestly am still in shock over this. This kid is a huge, huge get. One of the best true center prospects I have seen. Very, very strong for his size and body composition and excellent range of motion and flexibility. Combination of strength and bend with his frame are rare. You watch his highlights and this kid doesnt just finish blocks, he punishes interior defenders. Momentus. Let's get this thing going!

I get Michigan thumbing their noses at in-state kids thinking they can select whomever they want nationally but I am shocked Michigan State didn't get more involved with this kid.

Sampson is the real deal and if things go like we want and he wants he plays 3 years and gets drafted into the NFL.

D'Antoni typically recruits these blue collar 3/4 star recruits. Everything about Sampson just gives you confidence. OL is the 2nd most important position behind QB.

I get Michigan thumbing their noses at in-state kids thinking they can select whomever they want nationally but I am shocked Michigan State didn't get more involved with this kid.

Sampson is the real deal and if things go like we want and he wants he plays 3 years and gets drafted into the NFL.

D'Antoni typically recruits these blue collar 3/4 star recruits. Everything about Sampson just gives you confidence. OL is the 2nd most important position behind QB.
In the end they will, and if he stays true to his word, it'll be too late.