Class of 2022 - C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the picture in question:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/1EM...13/Screen_Shot_2022_02_28_at_9.42.01_AM.0.png

Not sure a lot can be determined on the builds of any of the players based on that photo. My guess is that he is at about 210 but that is just a guess.

Here is one taken when he was on campus last fall. Here you can see his arms are not sticks and he has something to work with.

One more. I think this is a year old. Again, he has some upper body muscle to build on. Believe he went from 190 to 210 over the past year.

I expect him to be about 215 when preseason practices start next fall. That is right where Jesse was at the same time. Hoping he is able to put on weight faster than Jesse did. That is going to be a huge key towards his development, or lack thereof. BMK also came to Syracuse around. 215. I think he left as a senior at 216. JAB needled him about it at the Hardwood Club dinner at the end of his senior season. IF he wants to be a factor, he needs to add at least 5 pounds every offseason, preferably 10.

Agree, he is likely not going to play a lot as a frosh. We would ideally redshirt him. That assumes Jesse and Frank return. Otherwise, we are going to need some help from the portal.
Baye had the whole Ramadan thing going. It's hard to bulk up when you're fasting for a month.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/1EM...13/Screen_Shot_2022_02_28_at_9.42.01_AM.0.png

Not sure a lot can be determined on the builds of any of the players based on that photo. My guess is that he is at about 210 but that is just a guess.

Here is one taken when he was on campus last fall. Here you can see his arms are not sticks and he has something to work with.

One more. I think this is a year old. Again, he has some upper body muscle to build on. Believe he went from 190 to 210 over the past year.

I expect him to be about 215 when preseason practices start next fall. That is right where Jesse was at the same time. Hoping he is able to put on weight faster than Jesse did. That is going to be a huge key towards his development, or lack thereof. BMK also came to Syracuse around. 215. I think he left as a senior at 216. JAB needled him about it at the Hardwood Club dinner at the end of his senior season. IF he wants to be a factor, he needs to add at least 5 pounds every offseason, preferably 10.

Agree, he is likely not going to play a lot as a frosh. We would ideally redshirt him. That assumes Jesse and Frank return. Otherwise, we are going to need some help from the portal.
That’s not the picture I was referring to. I don’t remember seeing that one.
There‘s the one above in this thread at #703, and this one from the tweet in the Mintz thread:

27531291-12B4-4171-96DC-66550D8E4DC9.jpeg

…and various videos of and Bunch and Mintz in their respective threads. They’re all bony maroneys.

Doesn’t mean they can’t play. And Carey does look strong, but still not who I want to see ‘wasted’ at center.

That’s not the picture I was referring to. I don’t remember seeing that one.
There‘s the one above in this thread at #703, and this one from the tweet in the Mintz thread:

View attachment 215153

…and various videos of and Bunch and Mintz in their respective threads. They’re all bony maroneys.

Doesn’t mean they can’t play. And Carey does look strong, but still not who I want to see ‘wasted’ at center.
Why is Buddy posing in street clothes?

The kid missed one year of playing due to Covid and another due to a knee injury. Do we really want to redshirt him?

The kid missed one year of playing due to Covid and another due to a knee injury. Do we really want to redshirt him?
Might take him another year to figure out how to play basketball again.

He seems like the prototypical “take a flyer and hope we hit a home run” type recruit. He’s really a mystery recruit. Could be a boom or bust.

Might take him another year to figure out how to play basketball again.

He seems like the prototypical “take a flyer and hope we hit a home run” type recruit. He’s really a mystery recruit. Could be a boom or bust.
Boom goes the dynamite.

Well, if Peter doesn’t get up to 220 or so (enough weight to compete in the ACC), or if Jesse and Frank both return and stay healthy, I would say yes.

He has missed two seasons and worse still, the last season he played, he played for a small school in the middle of nowhere (north of Springfield, MA) against very lackluster competition. For the games I have stats for, he averaged just over 13 points per game. He did well for a young big but didn’t exactly dominate the league.

It would be great if he could spend the year getting stronger and scrimmaging against our bigs. Getting forced to play early against players far more physically mature and far more experienced is not ideal.

Jesse is gone after next season, so if Pete works hard and waits a year, he is pretty much guaranteed a place in the rotation. Who knows, he might be the starter the following year. I think Jesse and Frank both were fine athletes coming out of HS/prep but Peter looks like he is probably more skilled and athletic.

Hope Pete works hard and is able to stay healthy. He does have a high ceiling but he has a lot of catching up to do.

Well, if Peter doesn’t get up to 220 or so (enough weight to compete in the ACC), or if Jesse and Frank both return and stay healthy, I would say yes.

He has missed two seasons and worse still, the last season he played, he played for a small school in the middle of nowhere (north of Springfield, MA) against very lackluster competition. For the games I have stats for, he averaged just over 13 points per game. He did well for a young big but didn’t exactly dominate the league.

It would be great if he could spend the year getting stronger and scrimmaging against our bigs. Getting forced to play early against players far more physically mature and far more experienced is not ideal.

Jesse is gone after next season, so if Pete works hard and waits a year, he is pretty much guaranteed a place in the rotation. Who knows, he might be the starter the following year. I think Jesse and Frank both were fine athletes coming out of HS/prep but Peter looks like he is probably more skilled and athletic.

Hope Pete works hard and is able to stay healthy. He does have a high ceiling but he has a lot of catching up to do.
Jessie still has two years left if he chooses to stay.

If Peter has lower body injury issues, i'm not enthusiastic about him putting on weight. If it's just the kind that comes with increasing strength, sure, but i don't think i want him bulking up just for the sake of it, until his legs are demonstrably healthy.

I wouldn't mind seeing him redshirt, but I just hope he doesn't go the way of Dajuan and Sidibe with the lingering injuries. He has the potential to be a beast at the 5 spot. It will probably take a couple years though.

If Peter has lower body injury issues, i'm not enthusiastic about him putting on weight. If it's just the kind that comes with increasing strength, sure, but i don't think i want him bulking up just for the sake of it, until his legs are demonstrably healthy.
I would assume his MD and physical therapist have given/are giving him guidance on the kind of strength training that is safe for him. Strengthening is a normal part of the therapy process and adding quality weight is an extension of adding strength and the corresponding hypertrophy that takes place. Adding strength and quality weight safely will help reduce the chances for injury in the future, especially if he is focusing on maintining balance between posterior and anterior chains and strengthening sometimes ignored stabilizer muscles.

I think offensively he could probably do stuff for us from day one - on defense and rebounding, though, just don't think he'll be able to really contribute* until the following season

(*except for getting out on corner 3s)

I think offensively he could probably do stuff for us from day one - on defense and rebounding, though, just don't think he'll be able to really contribute* until the following season

(*except for getting out on corner 3s)
Yup. Obviously needs to get stronger.

Here is more Peter Carey at his workout last month.

Just one thing to keep in mind and not trying to say it's a lock Carey will need a whole year to be ready ( just my thoughts)-

Craig Forth could handle it and dominate in a pickup game. I mean flat out dominate. Craig is a beloved part of our cuse family and did so many little things for us. He wasn't more than a little things/big body for us over 4 years. We also don't win a title without the things he did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors