Class of 2015 - C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana

Unfortunately it looks like we have been forced to move on. This is terrible. Most of us have been following Bryant since he was in 9th grade, assuming he would eventually be wearing a Syracuse jersey. Part of me is pissed he didn't commit earlier, but it's not his fault all this stuff happened.

Ive always thought that myself. Wish he would have committed awhile ago, and now all this and too late. Which made me realize, he didn't want us as much as maybe his family did and you cant force a kid to make a decision so big and important just for your family. Even though the beneficial factor to play here would have been just as good or better for his pro aspirations then anywhere else...still selfish on our side (fans). Good luck TB, he will be a force wherever he goes and if I had to hope he would go anywhere else- at this point I would hope Mizzou gets back in the pic. Something about Crean and IU that makes me throw up in my mouth. And UK od course. ..dont need to go there-just be called a hater anyway.

anomander said:
Unfortunately it looks like we have been forced to move on. This is terrible. Most of us have been following Bryant since he was in 9th grade, assuming he would eventually be wearing a Syracuse jersey. Part of me is pissed he didn't commit earlier, but it's not his fault all this stuff happened.
???

If we are planning for 10 guys on ship in 2016 and still planning on bringing in Moyer and Battle we are still talking about shedding 3 ships by then to be able to have those two which does not include Bryant. Even if you count Chris as 1 of those 3 you its still 2 transfers or early entries. With the comments in that Battle article today I would not be surprised to see up to 3 guys transfer out this season. We could then actually consider this year 1 of the 4 and if Chris leaves early you might get a kid like Giles or some other one and done guy to round out 16. Even if appeals go through later and lesson the lost ships we would have 4 already served coming off the total.

I'm still not totally giving up on Bryant but I agree it looks like the staff may be moving in the clear space for the 2016 and beyond classes direction at this point.

If we are planning for 10 guys on ship in 2016 and still planning on bringing in Moyer and Battle we are still talking about shedding 3 ships by then to be able to have those two which does not include Bryant. Even if you count Chris as 1 of those 3 you its still 2 transfers or early entries. With the comments in that Battle article today I would not be surprised to see up to 3 guys transfer out this season. We could then actually consider this year 1 of the 4 and if Chris leaves early you might get a kid like Giles or some other one and done guy to round out 16. Even if appeals go through later and lesson the lost ships we would have 4 already served coming off the total.

I'm still not totally giving up on Bryant but I agree it looks like the staff may be moving in the clear space for the 2016 and beyond classes direction at this point.
What do you mean- "consider this year 1 of the 4"? Thxs

One of 4 years taking a 3 ship hit. If we can get to 10 for next season I don't see any reason why it couldn't start next season.
Got it, thxs! So obviously 3 could transfer and we still might not be able to get Bryant, thats tough!

Got it, thxs! So obviously 3 could transfer and we still might not be able to get Bryant, thats tough!

If I read it correctly we cannot add someone who hasn't signed a LOI. If we appeal though and it suspends the scholarship penalty I think we could at that point but either way it tightens things up for bringing guys in for 2016. It may be a choice between Bryant this year or Battle in 16 in other words and the staff has already reached out to Battle this week but apparently not Bryant at least not yet.

If I read it correctly we cannot add someone who hasn't signed a LOI. If we appeal though and it suspends the scholarship penalty I think we could at that point but either way it tightens things up for bringing guys in for 2016. It may be a choice between Bryant this year or Battle in 16 in other words and the staff has already reached out to Battle this week but apparently not Bryant at least not yet.
Yep its tough when you already have McC, Cole, and MD (and possibly CO). Not to mention TRob. Would love to get Bryant but hes not must have next year, altho we could wind up regretting not having him the yr after. But I have ZERO problem making Tyus the top priority, Tyus could be must have in 2016-17

Yep its tough when you already have McC, Cole, and MD (and possibly CO). Not to mention TRob. Would love to get Bryant but hes not must have next year, altho we could wind up regretting not having him the yr after. But I have ZERO problem making Tyus the top priority, Tyus could be must have in 2016-17

Thus the struggle of only 10 ships especially on the heals of bringing in 4 freshman with only 1 senior leaving.

Thus the struggle of only 10 ships especially on the heals of bringing in 4 freshman with only 1 senior leaving.

Very true--our classes are horribly imbalanced, which is going to make it difficult to recruit the next few years if we don't ge the reduction "reduced."

RF2044 said:
Very true--our classes are horribly imbalanced, which is going to make it difficult to recruit the next few years if we don't ge the reduction "reduced."
Yeah that's the issue really not overall total. So pissed about losing Bryant.

True but of we get to 10 this year and Chris leaves with Mike and Trevor we have 3 clear for 16 however if we take them we would then only have 2 for 17 with DC2 and TylerR graduating so we would need another early entry. And on and on it goes . . . . boo hoo.

True but of we get to 10 this year and Chris leaves with Mike and Trevor we have 3 clear for 16 however if we take them we would then only have 2 for 17 with DC2 and TylerR graduating so we would need another early entry. And on and on it goes . . . . boo hoo.

I'm starting to feel like getting to ten for next season would be better than putting it off. Am I way off base?

Here's a comment that Donna Ditota made in one of her articles today about the scholarship situation:

The only clarification we're waiting for is from the NCAA on this particular scenario: If a current SU player decides to leave right now, can SU then add Bryant for 2015-16 since the school is deferring its scholarship reduction to 2016-17?

We may not be dead in the water yet.

Unless SU already knows and the P-S hasn't been told yet.

So my official position now is that:

1) I'll be happy to have Bryant if it works out
2) I'll be happy to get to ten for next year (while staying competitive)
3) I'll be depressed if we don't get Bryant and also don't get down to ten*

*Until I hear a rumor from a guy who knows a guy that Battle is a "heavy Cuse lean", in which case my depression will miraculously be healed

*Until I hear a rumor from a guy who knows a guy that Battle is a "heavy Cuse lean", in which case my depression will miraculously be healed

Be healed and go in peace.

Here's a comment that Donna Ditota made in one of her articles today about the scholarship situation:

The only clarification we're waiting for is from the NCAA on this particular scenario: If a current SU player decides to leave right now, can SU then add Bryant for 2015-16 since the school is deferring its scholarship reduction to 2016-17?
If we can't in that case, then the NCAA is worse at writing than I thought. The report says nothing about limits next year, if we defer.

So, what happens if we get to 11 next year? Can we apply those two toward the overall 12? That would lessen the load the following four years somewhat.

Partially as a result of people leaving early or redshirting. MCW and Cooney would both have been seniors this year., Grant next year and Ennis the following.

So, what happens if we get to 11 next year? Can we apply those two toward the overall 12? That would lessen the load the following four years somewhat.

That's a good thought, I like where your head is at

We may not be dead in the water yet.

Unless SU already knows and the P-S hasn't been told yet.

At some point, the NCAA is going to run the risk of appearing to rewrite terms and conditions on the fly to suit themselves if they [1] don't let us apply previously docked scholarships toward the overall penalty, [2] if they try to prevent us from taking a recruit like Bryant even if the penalty doesn't kick in next year, and [3] if they don't let us apply the possible 1 or 2 open scholarship vacancies we might have next year, pending transfers, to the overall penalty.

There's following the penalties imposed, and then there's making up new "case law" as you go that stick it to the punished unnecessarily. If we have a transfer out this spring, and we are over the cap / the penalty defers until 2015-2016, then the NCAA can't summarily declare that we can't fill that vacancy PROVIDED WE ARE UNDER THE LIMIT THE FOLLOWING YEAR LIKE WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE.

Otherwise, it turns into a 13 [or 14] scholarship penalty?

Why should they be allowed to situationally determine what teams can do provided they are in compliance with the overall penalties / ruling in order to make the original penalties more impactful?

OrangeXtreme said:
Here's a comment that Donna Ditota made in one of her articles today about the scholarship situation: We may not be dead in the water yet. Unless SU already knows and the P-S hasn't been told yet.
I read Ano's post as though Bryant moved on.

Good thoughts, RF...but no one pays very close attention to these specific scholarship #s and things like SU losing out on Bryant. No one (outside of die-hard fans like our fellow posters) will hammer the NCAA on this stuff who can actually impact the NCAA IMO.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom