Class of 2015 - C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana

If Bryant himself is saying he doesn't know if he can sign with us, then I assume someone at SU (one of the coaches) talked to him and/or his mom and said that they don't know. I'm just a little perplexed here. To me, the wording of the sanctions report mean that we could add another player... it says: Syracuse can delay the start of the penalty until the 2016-17 season "if the institution has already executed athletically related financial aid agreements to prospective student-athletes for the 2015-16 academic year.'' We have executed the agreements to four players. If someone transfers we'd still have a scholarship for Bryant to get to 13 and will be at the limit, pushing the scholarship reductions back a year like we are doing now anyway.

It doesn't say anything precluding us from adding someone else who hasn't executed the LOI. If someone transfers, we can add Bryant IMO. Now, if like moqui says, there is additional language precluding us from adding another player, then we are done. That's what I don't get, we would know if it does have that language. So why the cloak and dagger, especially to the momma Bryant and TB? The NCAA is really jerking us around. The Sub-Standard get the final word on this and if we are telling TB we don't know what the deal is...neither can SU?????:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

BUT, the penalties are not effective until AFTER the appeal.

If Bryant himself is saying he doesn't know if he can sign with us, then I assume someone at SU (one of the coaches) talked to him and/or his mom and said that they don't know. I'm just a little perplexed here. To me, the wording of the sanctions report mean that we could add another player... it says: Syracuse can delay the start of the penalty until the 2016-17 season "if the institution has already executed athletically related financial aid agreements to prospective student-athletes for the 2015-16 academic year.'' We have executed the agreements to four players. If someone transfers we'd still have a scholarship for Bryant to get to 13 and will be at the limit, pushing the scholarship reductions back a year like we are doing now anyway.

It doesn't say anything precluding us from adding someone else who hasn't executed the LOI. If someone transfers, we can add Bryant IMO. Now, if like moqui says, there is additional language precluding us from adding another player, then we are done. That's what I don't get, we would know if it does have that language. So why the cloak and dagger, especially to the momma Bryant and TB? The NCAA is really jerking us around. The Sub-Standard get the final word on this and if we are telling TB we don't know what the deal is...neither can SU?????:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Reading between the lines in that article, it could be that Bryant is waiting to see how our roster shakes out. The coaches may have told him to hang on and see if anyone leaves. Otherwise, what's he waiting for? He likely knows the other schools in contention will hold a spot for him regardless. If roster spots open at SU, the coaches may be giving him the signal that they can take him this year. The language in the public document makes it sound like only kids who signed early and before the public announcement of sanctions can come but who knows?

You would be wrong. I know for a fact that Waters has called the NCAA 3 times and they, incredible, won't answer that question. It's actually worse than I'm telling you. There is no straight answer to be had at this point.
The NCAA - looking out for the best interests of student-athletes by not giving anyone a straight answer about where they can or cannot play collegiately.

The NCAA knows they screwed up with the language and are probably holding out for the appeals process. They will use it as part of the final determination. They have no legal standing with the way it was written. To deam anything different would be just mean-spirited. That should give you the reason why they won't answer the question.

SU could be short big men in two years. CM will be gone and what says Coleman won't leave after next year. I think he stated that he could graduate next December and if wants to get more life out of his knees, he might consider moving on to the NBA or Europe. That would only leave us with Diagne. That would be the case if three are asked to transfer this summer.
My concern as well. We need bigs, it seems. Also depends on how Lydon and/or Diagne develop. We will have Chino and Stapha as 5's but I'd feel a lot better with TB there. DC in my opinion is gone after next year at best. No reason for him to stay in school, he can go make money in Europe for as long as his knees hold out. CM is definitely gone.

BUT, the penalties are not effective until AFTER the appeal.

Right, so that is yet another reason why we should be able to land TB. If someone transfers before the appeal is heard and decided, then we can offer TB a scholarship during that time and we'd be at 13. So why is anomander saying we have to move on from TB? I'm not trying to say he's wrong at all...just curious as to the WHY. Why have we moved on?

jr4750 said:
My concern as well. We need bigs, it seems. Also depends on how Lydon and/or Diagne develop. We will have Chino and Stapha as 5's but I'd feel a lot better with TB there. DC in my opinion is gone after next year at best. No reason for him to stay in school, he can go make money in Europe for as long as his knees hold out. CM is definitely gone.

If Bryant came and blew up as a froth, gotta believe he'd be gone as well.

The penalties (including loss of scholarships) don't go into effect until after an appeal is ruled on ... if one is filed. The timeline for an appeal is 110 days, and I think the filing deadline is march 21st.

If there is an appeal, which most of us would probably support, that means that the scholarship penalties would not apply until sometime after July. By then we could well have made a financial arrangement with TB if one of our current players leaves and creates an opening. That would allow TB to sign within the 13 scholarship limit, and would seem to be permissible IF the sanctions don't begin until the 2016-17 season.

This kicks the can down the road and creates problems for the 16-17 class. Whether we keep the current team (minus Rak) or we loose one player and add TB, we have 13 minus 2 seniors after 15-16 (TC and G). That will put us at 11 (again, assuming the roster stays the same or one player leaves but we add TB). That would mean that after next season, i.e., for 16-17, another scholarship player would also have to leave to get us back to the reduced limit - 10. However, CM jumping to the NBA after next season seems likely in this context. So there is some hope, but a lot to consider and plan for.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...etball_program_to_get_to_10_scholarships.html

http://verbalcommits.com/schools/syracuse

Last edited:

Lydon is a perimeter player. Yes, he's tall but he won't log any minutes at Center for us. I guess you could call him a "big" because of his height but you get my point. If we don't land Bryant, we will be thin at the Center position for sure.

Lydon is a perimeter player. Yes, he's tall but he won't log any minutes at Center for us. I guess you could call him a "big" because of his height but you get my point. If we don't land Bryant, we will be thin at the Center position for sure.

Really? I think Francis said that while he projects as a 3, he could easily be a stretch 4. Supposedly a very aggressive rebounder / shot blocker, too. Not a soft perimeter player.

iommi said:

The real concern would come the year after next.

Even if we're to get Bryant, he could bolt along with Coleman and McCullough, leaving us with Diagne and Obokoh.

Really? I think Francis said that while he projects as a 3, he could easily be a stretch 4. Supposedly a very aggressive rebounder / shot blocker, too. Not a soft perimeter player.

I didn't say soft. He plays above the rim and can rebound and block shots, as you said. He's a stretch 4 for sure, not a 5...that's why my post above said we'd be light on Centers.

I probably shouldn't have said "perimeter player"...I think he will be very versatile, just nowhere near a Center.

RF2044 said:

He's going to need to fill out a lot - say, 20 pounds - to settle into the 4 spot.

Certainly possible, but he seems to have trouble putting on weight.

I didn't say soft. He plays above the rim and can rebound and block shots, as you said. He's a stretch 4 for sure, not a 5...that's why my post above said we'd be light on Centers.

I probably shouldn't have said "perimeter player"...I think he will be very versatile, just nowhere near a Center.

Ah--gotcha. I was thinking prospective "big," but clearly a 4 not a 5.

Ah--gotcha. I was thinking prospective "big," but clearly a 4 not a 5.

I'm excited for Lydon in 2016-2017...he should be deadly on pick and pops. I said '16-'17 because, as cuseguy said, he needs to get a lot stronger. "Rotten"--that's my nickname for him (after Johnny "Rotten" Lydon), will be fun to watch and will surprise with his athleticism.

moqui said:
the thing to remember is that the report we are reading is very clearly labeled as the Public Document. This indicates that there is an unreleased, non-public document that is richer in detail (such as naming names). That document is possibly much more clear in the details of the sanctions levied.

I've made that point a couple times and I'm either wrong or nobody wants to hear it. It's possible that there is a more detailed report which includes names and other specifics that SU has.

dasher said:
You would be wrong. I know for a fact that Waters has called the NCAA 3 times and they, incredible, won't answer that question. It's actually worse than I'm telling you. There is no straight answer to be had at this point.

I like Mike and he is the best PS sportswriter. But does the NCAA owe him an answer? Especially if SU has been told or knows the answer?

SU might know the answer but the Bryant's don't?...unless they told them to wait until the smoke clears...with possible transfers?

I feel like, if we get TB to commit, the NCAA be like this guy in the grey shirt

200.gif

Yeah, Tyler has the capability to potentially play the 4, and he has told me he's willing to play wherever the staff puts him or needs him, but he also told me that he's preparing himself to play the 3 at the next level.

Understand that there is much less margin for error with a roster of 13 vs. 85, but isnlt it the same as football? You can sign more than 13 but can never have more than 13 on scholarship at the same time. In other words, Bryant could sign an LOI, then through attrition we would need to get down to 13 before the 2015-2016 academic year starts.

Lots of moving pieces there. We talk about potential transfers or early exits and about the physical status of DC, but is there another possibility?

Are all 4 signed recruits fully qualified? Is there potential that for physical or academic reasons one of the four may be encouraged to prep for a year? In fact, isn't that what happened to Buss at IU?

iommi said:
If Bryant himself is saying he doesn't know if he can sign with us, then I assume someone at SU (one of the coaches) talked to him and/or his mom and said that they don't know. I'm just a little perplexed here. To me, the wording of the sanctions report means that we could add another player... it says: Syracuse can delay the start of the penalty until the 2016-17 season "if the institution has already executed athletically related financial aid agreements to prospective student-athletes for the 2015-16 academic year.'' We have executed the agreements to four players. If someone transfers we'd still have a scholarship for Bryant to get to 13 and will be at the limit, pushing the scholarship reductions back a year like we are doing now anyway. It doesn't say anything precluding us from adding someone else who hasn't executed the LOI. If someone transfers, we can add Bryant IMO. Now, if like moqui says, there is additional language precluding us from adding another player, then we are done. That's what I don't get, we would know if it does have that language. So why the cloak and dagger, especially to the momma Bryant and TB? The NCAA is really jerking us around. The Sub-Standard get the final word on this and if we are telling TB we don't know what the deal is...neither can SU?????:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:
He should just sign and be done with it.

What makes anyone think the NCAA is going to clear up the Bryant/SU scholarship thing any time soon? It took 8 years for this investigation, 4-5 months to release the results, so why should the bryant thing be cleared up in a week? Maybe by August if he's lucky...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom