Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

I've heard that's how JB got Buddy.
Hey! This is a family board!
AA0E5555-39AA-45B2-BCA3-17888A29F7F3.jpeg

His Final 5 literally all offered in a 5-day span and all within the last week...
April 4th- FSU
April 5th- Cincy
April 7th- NC St. & Maryland
April 8th- Cuse

Decision tomorrow at noon...

yes, thank you, I have no clue what the kid is going to do, but people are acting like Hamilton has been all over him for months. He is committing tomorrow as a birthday present to his mom, if she wants him home, how can he commit anywhere but SU? but, if she wants him to go out into the world, well, that will be that. tune in tomorrow, everyone..

I think Sidibe can be very effective offensively for SU this year. But we need some muscle too. Got to have that guy who can bang in their with some of the goons that play for some teams.

He might be able to do that eventually, but he seems to be really passive right now/isn't trying to absorb contact. Can't teach the physical tools he has, but if the season started today, I think Sidibe is our best bet as a banger (or maybe even Guerrier who seems to be our physically strongest player right now).

He might be able to do that eventually, but he seems to be really passive right now/isn't trying to absorb contact. Can't teach the physical tools he has, but if the season started today, I think Sidibe is our best bet as a banger (or maybe even Guerrier who seems to be our physically strongest player right now).
I know some have already penciled Ballard into the starting line up. I understand the appeal based on his size. But....senior Sidibe is lightyears ahead of freshman Ballard on the developmental curve.

Hopefully he wants to stay local and play in front of family and friends. I’m sure he’s always dreamed of that.

However, purely from a basketball standpoint, he’d be better off at FSU. They play numerous bigs more than token minutes, have truly developed players recently and are simply the better current program. We have two other development type bigs so it’s a bit crowded. Hopefully, our location outweighs FSU’s advantage.

I’ve read through this thread and I don’t think i saw any stats and barely a video or two. Did this kid play this past year?

Has played basketball for 3 years, while growing 4+ inches during that time, and averaged 3.3ppg/4.5rpg/1.7bpg in EYBL last year. Honestly, I’d be happy to have him here if just for a big practice body with high upside.

Hopefully he wants to stay local and play in front of family and friends. I’m sure he’s always dreamed of that.

However, purely from a basketball standpoint, he’d be better off at FSU. They play numerous bigs more than token minutes, have truly developed players recently and are simply the better current program. We have two other development type bigs so it’s a bit crowded. Hopefully, our location outweighs FSU’s advantage.

I’ve read through this thread and I don’t think i saw any stats and barely a video or two. Did this kid play this past year?
What a crock. From a basketball standpoint FSU runs a ton of no name bigs all the time. At SU QB can go through a development progression that JB has used for years. And when QB is ready he will get way more PT than the perpetual timeshare run down at FSU.

Yes, it's a bit crowded here but so is FSU. And the crowd at SU is not 7 foot nor 250. Plus FSU is not the better program, get out with that garbage (and I know you prefaced it with the vague "current" bs but I'm still trying to recall their last FF). As for development, wake up and look at Sid- the guy has improved immensely right during last season.

Furthermore, when QG is ready for a prime time role, say 22-23, it will be in the twilight of JB's career with a stacked lineup. Dior is coming, JG3 will be a seasoned legendary sharpshooter, if QG is here he'll be an ACC first team candidate. The team is positioned to be a contender and QG could be a part of that.

I know some have already penciled Ballard into the starting line up. I understand the appeal based on his size. But...senior Sidibe is lightyears ahead of freshman Ballard on the developmental curve.
People that think that have no sense of reality.

I know some have already penciled Ballard into the starting line up. I understand the appeal based on his size. But...senior Sidibe is lightyears ahead of freshman Ballard on the developmental curve.
Starting? I think he is more apt to sit a year. Unless another shoe has yet to drop regarding our returning bigs.

I know the recency vs primacy argument, the the recency says he has turned the corner, gotten healthy, and will be really, really good next year.

I know the recency vs primacy argument, the the recency says he has turned the corner, gotten healthy, and will be really, really good next year.

Are you suggesting the "recency" data is a false positive?

Even if it was a false positive (and I don't happen to think it was). This kid is not going to be better than early last season Sidibe his freshman year.

There are an extremely small number of centers who are ready to step into a big time college program and produce as freshman. The odds of him being one of them is vanishingly small.

Make no mistake, if we get him, this is to help our team two or three years down the road. Not next year.

Even if it was a false positive (and I don't happen to think it was). This kid is not going to be better than early last season Sidibe his freshman year.

There are an extremely small number of centers who are ready to step into a big time college program and produce as freshman. The odds of him being one of them is vanishingly small.

Make no mistake, if we get him, this is to help our team two or three years down the road. Not next year.

How can you say he can’t help when you don’t know much about him? I mean I’m reading all sorts of people making presumptions based on a very small sample for a kid that grow an enormous amount over the course of the last few years

No inside knowledge, but anytime a player gets an offer from his hometown team, that team has a very good chance to land the player, especially if he still has family in the area. He went (at least until 2018) to a high school in the City of Syracuse, and presumably grew up watching SU, and likely went to some games. If his mother still lives in Syracuse, I have a hard time believing Tallahassee State is going to be the choice.

I don't think he'd start next year. I don't think he's going to be Embiid. However, he looks more coordinated, more athletic, and stronger than just about any center recruit we've had since Fab & Rakeem. 7'0 250 lb muscular kids from Syracuse don't come around every year, I would take a flyer on him. Worst case he's a better version of Craig Forth / Brian Zoubek and can take up space in the zone, get rebounds, block shots, and catch and dunk. Best case he's as good as Fab Melo's 2012 season by the time he's a junior/senior.

How can you say he can’t help when you don’t know much about him? I mean I’m reading all sorts of people making presumptions based on a very small sample for a kid that grow an enormous amount over the course of the last few years

Because last season there were only about 5 high school centers who were ready to step in and contribute right away at a high level and they were all very sought after commodities.

In all of Syracuse history how many good freshman centers have we had? Maybe Otis Hill? Maybe Keita. I'd argue we've never had a center who wasn't a liability as a freshman.

I mean, there's not a 0% chance of him stepping in and contributing next season, but its probably less than 1%.

No inside knowledge, but anytime a player gets an offer from his hometown team, that team has a very good chance to land the player, especially if he still has family in the area. He went (at least until 2018) to a high school in the City of Syracuse, and presumably grew up watching SU, and likely went to some games. If his mother still lives in Syracuse, I have a hard time believing Tallahassee State is going to be the choice.

I don't think he'd start next year. I don't think he's going to be Embiid. However, he looks more coordinated, more athletic, and stronger than just about any center recruit we've had since Fab & Rakeem. 7'0 250 lb muscular kids from Syracuse don't come around every year, I would take a flyer on him. Worst case he's a better version of Craig Forth / Brian Zoubek and can take up space in the zone, get rebounds, block shots, and catch and dunk. Best case he's as good as Fab Melo's 2012 season by the time he's a junior/senior.

I wouldn't say that's a worst case scenario at all but I'd still be happy to take him and see if he can develop. I think becoming a Forth level player would be a win though. He'd certainly offer something in terms of his sheer size that we don't currently have, but based on the (admittedly very very limited) film that's out there, he doesn't really play like his size right now.

Worst case he's a better version of Craig Forth / Brian Zoubek and can take up space in the zone, get rebounds, block shots, and catch and dunk. Best case he's as good as Fab Melo's 2012 season by the time he's a junior/senior.

Huh?? Worst case is a better version of a center who helped us win our one and only Nat Championship? Best case is that he's a Fab Melo of 2012? Why not more dominant than Ewing and Coleman combined since we are talking best case? Strange assessment if you ask me.

His Final 5 literally all offered in a 5-day span and all within the last week...
April 4th- FSU
April 5th- Cincy
April 7th- NC St. & Maryland
April 8th- Cuse

Decision tomorrow at noon...

I feel good about this...my birthday was the 8th...Cuse offer day. His announcement is tomorrow, his Mom's birthday. There has to be some feel good meaning to all this. I'm calling a Cuse committment.

What will be will be?

However, we just lost 3-4 players at two positions (pg and sg) over issues pertaining to playing time.
So, let’s move to having 4 players for one position (C) and see how many people leave over playing time issues? If we don’t add Ballard, then we have 3 headed Center. If we do add Ballard, then we have a four headed center. Given comments that Ballard is admittedly a project, are we back to the three headed center again?

I can understand if we have a graduate transfer center, then we lose 2 players to graduation and the other two see the strong possibility of either one having the position solely to one of them or finding an even split/mix of playing time between the two players.

Nope. I'm saying some people are projecting based on his first 3 years, others are optimistic based upon his most recent 6 games. I am in the later camp.

There are good and bad projects for different reasons. IMO, 7-ft 240lb center projects are better than 6’10” 190lb center projects or 6’6” point guard projects who can’t dribble or drive.

But whatever gets us back to 25+ win seasons.

You don't see this happen very often. It will be interesting to see how good he ends up.

Looks like he grew 5 or 6 inches and added 60 or 70 pounds in the last 2 years. That and his late start playing played big roles in his late emergence.

He averaged 3 pts and 4 rebs for his EYBL team last year. So yeah we can therefore make a pretty easy assumption he's not going to start for an ACC team with a returning starting 5.