Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

It seems like JB covered himself with this offer from criticism if we lost out on a big in our back yard who is 7feet tall...we should of been more vigilant about getting this guy and monitored him more closely especially if former players were involved in helping him train based on the pictures (Dejaun,Billy)

lmao at more vigilant. No one knew who this kid was at the end of March. Recruiting season is over for most schools and he happened to be available. Give it a break.

Does anyone from the program acknowledge Edelin's existence? Seems like he's been cast aside for one reason or another.

[/QUOTE]
So I guess the top 3 will be at 10am and the top 2 at 1130 am
It's like musical chairs. Hopefully all the songs have Orange in them. I've always been partial to Orange Blossom special.

I think if he signs with Cuse he redshirts. The team is fine with Edwards/Sidibe and I think this guy will one season of college practice will really benefit him and the program.

Huh?? Worst case is a better version of a center who helped us win our one and only Nat Championship? Best case is that he's a Fab Melo of 2012? Why not more dominant than Ewing and Coleman combined since we are talking best case? Strange assessment if you ask me.
Pretty common bias to remember players from a title team as better than they were, just because they won a title in one season. Forth was a career 20 mpg, < 5 ppg, < 5 rpg, 60% FT. I don't think it's a "strange comparison" to say this would be a low bar to clear. Yes, I said BEST CASE, in case you can't read. We see players *like* Ballard come around, with only a few years of organized basketball, but extreme athleticism and coordination for a 7'0 frame and 7'6 wingspan, and *some* of them become stars. Since it seems you take everything to hyperbole, I don't think he'll become Patrick Ewing 2.0, just to clear that point for you. My point is, he looks, at age 18, physically years ahead of any center we've had since Rakeem.

I think we strike out on all the bigs we are targeting and I want to be optimistic about it but the reality is we just aren’t landing center position like we used to

Even if it was a false positive (and I don't happen to think it was). This kid is not going to be better than early last season Sidibe his freshman year.

There are an extremely small number of centers who are ready to step into a big time college program and produce as freshman. The odds of him being one of them is vanishingly small.

Make no mistake, if we get him, this is to help our team two or three years down the road. Not next year.
Yup. I highly doubt that freshman Ballard would be as "ready" as freshman Sidibe was. Ballard, if he does sign, looks to be a futures bet.

I also think his recruitment is an indication of the pending shift in recruiting philosophy at the 5 to more physical size/weight/strength, consistent with JB's comments about recruiting mistakes.

You don't see this happen very often. It will be interesting to see how good he ends up.

Looks like he grew 5 or 6 inches and added 60 or 70 pounds in the last 2 years. That and his late start playing played big roles in his late emergence.

Tom,
He doesn't look like 240 to me. He has good should width from the front but based on all the other pics, he looks very slight. In the picture from the side, if he stuck out his tongue, he'd look like a zipper.

Patrick Ewing was 7' and 220 as a frosh and he looked bigger than this young fella. I don't know how a basketball player gains 60-70 pounds of good weight in 2 years, especially while growing in height. That's tough even for a football player with the proper dedication to strength and....

Tom,
He doesn't look like 240 to me. He has good should width from the front but based on all the other pics, he looks very slight. In the picture from the side, if he stuck out his tongue, he'd look like a zipper.

Patrick Ewing was 7' and 220 as a frosh and he looked bigger than this young fella. I don't know how a basketball player gains 60-70 pounds of good weight in 2 years, especially while growing in height. That's tough even for a football player with the proper dedication to strength and...
Growing in height adds weight not reduces it. Growing 4" probably accounted for 40 of those pounds.

lmao at more vigilant. No one knew who this kid was at the end of March. Recruiting season is over for most schools and he happened to be available. Give it a break.

Does anyone from the program acknowledge Edelin's existence? Seems like he's been cast aside for one reason or another.
Buddy played for Billy’s travel team in 9th grade so I think it’s all good.

This thread has been much more enjoyable then I ever could of hoped for! Thank you all for making it have a little bit of everything that a good thread should have. Heck, we still have until saturday at 12 to add even more fun to it. Maybe we'll get a top 3 in a few hrs. :p

This thread has been much more enjoyable then I ever could of hoped for! Thank you all for making it have a little bit of everything that a good thread should have. Heck, we still have until saturday at 12 to add even more fun to it. Maybe we'll get a top 3 in a few hrs. :p
Thank you Cusesky8214 for your work in all the recruiting threads - very much appreciated.

It goes in cycles.

Bigs saw how we used AO, so Rick came. Then Fab came. Then Rak. Then DC. Even Mookie ended up decent offensively before AO showed up

The past few years it’s painfully obvious we ignore bigs offensively, which leads to the talented bigs looking elsewhere because we haven’t proven lately that bigs are a part of what we do on offense. Now of course it’s the chicken and the egg because we haven’t had a good offensive big in a while to utilize.

if Sidibe can average 10-12ppg on 8 shots or so a game this year and Edwards develops offensively I think we could start to see the good bigs looking at us again
This is true

I’m guessing he could only find 4 of the hats.
Probably had to try and get them ordered from amazon but they wouldnt ship them because they arent essential. Process of elimination its definitely us. GMAC with the drive by assist and put a lovely Orange Nike cuse hat in mommas mailbox for Quincy to put on. Its gotta be us!

He likes to stay under the radar. I see him downtown all the time.

What will be will be?

However, we just lost 3-4 players at two positions (pg and sg) over issues pertaining to playing time.
So, let’s move to having 4 players for one position (C) and see how many people leave over playing time issues? If we don’t add Ballard, then we have 3 headed Center. If we do add Ballard, then we have a four headed center. Given comments that Ballard is admittedly a project, are we back to the three headed center again?

I can understand if we have a graduate transfer center, then we lose 2 players to graduation and the other two see the strong possibility of either one having the position solely to one of them or finding an even split/mix of playing time between the two players.
Yes, people need to get over the players transferring thing, this is the 2020's now, it's happening with all the top programs.

And yes there are similarities when the pg spot opened up, SU had 3 good, but young, players battling for it. After a winner was decided there was a good chance for fallout. But if SU had gone your route, they never would have taken JG3 because they already had 2.

I'm excited about the possibilities of adding QB because the odds of having a decent to good center position in 2 years just significantly increased. This guy has the size we've been lacking. But the downside to me is it does not seem like it will help this year, like Tape or Haarm would have.

Earlier in the week, wasn't ballard quoted saying, he's heard from Syracuse and now waiting to hear back.
And then didnt the offer come and then the announcement date and time set? If they went in that order i think one can assume he was waiting on what JB offered before making his decision. Got what he wanted now ready to announce Cuse.

Correct me if I am wrong on the timeline of events.

How about if he is looking to actually play? At FSU, they play everyone. He would get at least 5 to 8 minutes a game unless he is a complete stiff. Here, he might not play for two years.
This dude completely fits the FSU mold. That team just brings in multiple 7 footers off the bench it seems. And some can’t even catch the ball.

This dude completely fits the FSU mold. That team just brings in multiple 7 footers off the bench it seems. And some can’t even catch the ball.

That’s a better approach to string bean university at least recently

Fantastic thread, all caught up.

Laughed to myself when I saw this kid listed in starting lineups for next year. That’s all time stuff.

Never underestimate the value of just having a big body to be in there eating up fouls. There’s a reason forth and mcneil worked out so well and it’s because they both were big and strong and didn’t need to really worry about fouls. Do your job on defense too. McNeil was the best center for a press we ever had, imo. We didn’t have that luxury this year because sidibe needed to be on the floor but he couldn’t be because he always fouled.

Earlier in the week, wasn't ballard quoted saying, he's heard from Syracuse and now waiting to hear back.
And then didnt the offer come and then the announcement date and time set? If they went in that order i think one can assume he was waiting on what JB offered before making his decision. Got what he wanted now ready to announce Cuse.

Correct me if I am wrong on the timeline of events.

That's incorrect. Ballard announced Tuesday at noon that he was making his decision Saturday, according to the Cincinnati thread. Maybe he changed his mind since, but we weren't the first choice.