Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

Cole Swider
Jimmy Boeheim
Symir Torrence

Those transfers were heavily criticized, too. All of them turned out to be better than most expected. (I didn’t say they were all-stars, only that they performed above expectations.)

And before you say they were bad players on a bad team, admit it: You want Swider back and you thought Torrence deserved more minutes.

Ballard is a perfectly acceptable reserve center. We’re talking 5-10 minutes per game.
Not many had any love for either Symir or Swider on this board preseason. For that matter Frank as well. Not saying opinions can't change but some had some vastly different opinions about those guys pre verse end of season.

Not many had any love for either Symir or Swider on this board preseason. For that matter Frank as well. Not saying opinions can't change but some had some vastly different opinions about those guys pre verse end of season.
When Jesse was recruited, he was roundly panned by most of the board pundits.

You’re suggesting Coulibaly is better than Ballard?
He was better prepared to play as a backup, yes.

But you are missing the point.

A starter on a P5 team was recruited to be a backup. That’s the point.

There are other starters on non P5 teams that are probably better than Ballard that can be sold the same thing by coaches who care to find the best players available.

I’m not convinced the latter part is true.

I don't remember that? I don't think most had an opinion on him.
I think many were concerned about his weight. I don’t think there was much mention of his skills.

I don't remember that? I don't think most had an opinion on him.
I think a lot of people on the board were not enamored of Jesse when he verballed here.

Not because of his skill set, or anything specific about him. It was all about the fact that he was something like the fifth center that we went after that year, swinging and missing on the earlier ones.

There are exceptions, but in general, the less the board (as a whole) likes a recruit, the better they end up being. Guys like Elijah Hughes, Buddy Boeheim, Marek Dolezej and Jonny Flynn come to mind.

Not sure who we end up bringing in as the new backup center, but I am confident most on the board will dislike the player and he will end up far better than they expect.

I think a lot of people on the board were not enamored of Jesse when he verballed here.

Not because of his skill set, or anything specific about him. It was all about the fact that he was something like the fifth center that we went after that year, swinging and missing on the earlier ones.

There are exceptions, but in general, the less the board (as a whole) likes a recruit, the better they end up being. Guys like Elijah Hughes, Buddy Boeheim, Marek Dolezej and Jonny Flynn come to mind.

Not sure who we end up bringing in as the new backup center, but I am confident most on the board will dislike the player and he will end up far better than they expect.
Okay, I shouldn't admit this, but a friend of mine kept telling me they were recruiting this kid Moten. I got mad and said I don't want to hear anymore about this kid. I have had that rubbed in to me for years. Demitrius Nichols even rubbed in it earlier this year. And I don't even know him. He was told the story.

Okay, I shouldn't admit this, but a friend of mine kept telling me they were recruiting this kid Moten. I got mad and said I don't want to hear anymore about this kid. I have had that rubbed in to me for years. Demitrius Nichols even rubbed in it earlier this year. And I don't even know him. He was told the story.
No one wanted the Rautins kid out of JD

Moten? Lawrence Moten, the football player?

Even Georgetown didn't want Sherman Douglas.

Too small, no court vision.
I've told this story before, but watching garbage time in a (yet another) blowout of Seton Hall in the Meadowlands in the 80's, there was this little guard that got put in after JB sat Pearl. He's trying to dribble all over the court and getting his pocket picked by the Hall's bench.

I looked at the the guy I went to the game with and told him I was going to hate this kid the next 3 years, if he even gets into a game.

Yup. Sherm.

1648942123137.png

I've told this story before, but watching garbage time in a (yet another) blowout of Seton Hall in the Meadowlands in the 80's, there was this little guard that got put in after JB sat Pearl. He's trying to dribble all over the court and getting his pocket picked by the Hall's bench.

I looked at the the guy I went to the game with and told him I was going to hate this kid the next 3 years, if he even gets into a game.

Yup. Sherm.

View attachment 216258
I watched every game I could that year, and yeah Sherm didn't stand out at all, from what I remember. Now, he is the point guard that I measure all others against. Not Pearl, or anyone else, Sherman Douglas was just about perfect as a point guard.

I watched every game I could that year, and yeah Sherm didn't stand out at all, from what I remember. Now, he is the point guard that I measure all others against. Not Pearl, or anyone else, Sherman Douglas was just about perfect as a point guard.
I used to love it when he and Pearl played together. Jim would send the Pearl down to the baseline where he would abuse the other guard

I remember when Sherm used to come in his freshman year, and he didn't play that much, and Pearl went off the ball. I said to my friend, there's something about this kid. When he comes in he makes good things happen. Best PG in Syracuse history.