Class of 2019 - C Tre Mitchell (CT) to UMass | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Tre Mitchell (CT) to UMass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, we recruit them.

We just don’t sign them.
Of late. Top-20 centers with size and skill just haven't come to SU since DaJuan, he wasn't nearly healthy his entire time. Rak was great. Fab before him. But it's been 6-10 years since those dudes were recruited.

Chukwu was just a weird get. So was Obokoh. Both soaked up a few scholarship seasons while they couldn't play at a time when scholarships were limited. At one point, (15-16) SU was using ~28% of their allotted scholarships on centers who couldn't really play*. And the funny thing is that team went to the F4.

*36% when you add in a useless Kaleb Joseph at PG.

Of late. Top-20 centers with size and skill just haven't come to SU since DaJuan, he wasn't nearly healthy his entire time. Rak was great. Fab before him. But it's been 6-10 years since those dudes were recruited.

Chukwu was just a weird get. So was Obokoh. Both soaked up a few scholarship seasons while they couldn't play at a time when scholarships were limited. At one point, (15-16) SU was using ~28% of their allotted scholarships on centers who couldn't really play*. And the funny thing is that team went to the F4.

Tauren Thompson and Darius Blazey both committed

Tauren Thompson and Darius Blazey both committed
Bazely, lol. Come on. A) Bazely wasn't a center, B) Bazely was a toothpick, and C) Bazely didn't even make it to campus. His recruiting thread had him playing at the 2 or the 3.

I expected the Thompson nonsense. I think that people clinging to this idea that Thompson came to the program as some kind of big center and therefore SU doesn't prioritize beanpoles are delusional. Chukwu was already in the program as the expected starter for the next two seasons. Thompson's minutes at the 5 only came after Chukwu and DC2 couldn't play because he was the next available tall guy. If his recruiting thread hasn't been burned, you can even read through it. People were wondering where he would play since C was taken. Also, Thompson wasn't all that big. A ~210-220 lb guy at 6'10 isn't very stout.

MG_7607.jpg

Maybe was thinkin of reclassifying to attract more exciting offers? Hopefully we can be one of those attractive offers he was looking for. ACC and a big time basketball school. Huge need for a big with his skillset and hes capable of stretching the floor and hitting the 3. A 5 that defenses will actually have to guard! Would love for him to see the atmosphere of the Duke game but I'm kinda worried on how that game is going to play out...

This offer tells me all I need to know what the staff thinks of Bourama's chances doing anything in Orange anytime soon if ever...

Tells you zero about that. But need a body there regardless. Sidibe could be haleem olajuwon and wed still need depth there.

Bazely, lol. Come on. A) Bazely wasn't a center, B) Bazely was a toothpick, and C) Bazely didn't even make it to campus. His recruiting thread had him playing at the 2 or the 3.

I expected the Thompson nonsense. I think that people clinging to this idea that Thompson came to the program as some kind of big center and therefore SU doesn't prioritize beanpoles are delusional. Chukwu was already in the program as the expected starter for the next two seasons. Thompson's minutes at the 5 only came after Chukwu and DC2 couldn't play because he was the next available tall guy. If his recruiting thread hasn't been burned, you can even read through it. People were wondering where he would play since C was taken. Also, Thompson wasn't all that big. A ~210-220 lb guy at 6'10 isn't very stout.

MG_7607.jpg

all i'm saying is we recruit bigs better than what our roster currently looks like.

Maybe was thinkin of reclassifying to attract more exciting offers?
Could be, but that would be dependent on him getting significantly better (like top 25 better), or positions opening up. It's not unheard of, but I don't know, reclasses seem to be mostly moving back to their original classes due to academics being in better shape.

And what if we don't and our only bigs next year are Sidibe, Marek and a freshman in AJAK that more than likely won't be ACC ready. Think everyone is rightfully terrified of that situation.
i'm not. i think we'll be fine next season with the trio we have in hand, plus possibly even braswell in certain lineups. of course i am in the minority because i think that jba is both better & more ready than most.

but mitchell is a good hedge against bourama not being completely healthy on the one hand and on 2020 prospects on the other. having both mitchell & jba in this class puts less pressure on landing a big in 2020 (although i still want to land cliff omuruyi). the fact that mitchell is contemplating reclassifying to 2020 might even mean that he'd be willing to take a shirt next year if playing time becomes scarce

MG_7607.jpg
tl/dr
shorter: flyrodder is committed to his narrative and doesn't give a rip about you and your pesky facts!

tl/dr
shorter: flyrodder is committed to his narrative and doesn't give a rip about you and your pesky facts!
Which facts? that Bazely was a 250 big that was going to play center or that Thompson was recruited to be a 250lb center?

Talk about wedded to a narrative.

I like his game. Got some post moves something we have lacked for a while. Don't know how realistic it is getting in this late. But will cross fingers.
A Center with some size, can catch the dang ball, and can shoot the jump hook, oh yea, take this kid in a heartbeat.

i'm not. i think we'll be fine next season with the trio we have in hand, plus possibly even braswell in certain lineups. of course i am in the minority because i think that jba is both better & more ready than most.

but mitchell is a good hedge against bourama not being completely healthy on the one hand and on 2020 prospects on the other. having both mitchell & jba in this class puts less pressure on landing a big in 2020 (although i still want to land cliff omuruyi). the fact that mitchell is contemplating reclassifying to 2020 might even mean that he'd be willing to take a shirt next year if playing time becomes scarce

I haven't really seen enough of Ajak to have formed a valid opinion on what he'll be capable of next year but it's pretty rare for our bigs to be able to do much beyond foul and stand with their hands up in year 1. I believe that Sidibe and Marek if both healthy are more than capable of giving us 40 really solid mins in the middle. It's just Sidibe's health and both of their fouling tendencies that give me some pause. I always lean towards risk adverse so getting a solid guy into the program this year is always going to be preferable to me then trying to hit a jackpot in 2020 with a higher ceiling guy.

I haven't really seen enough of Ajak to have formed a valid opinion on what he'll be capable of next year but it's pretty rare for our bigs to be able to do much beyond foul and stand with their hands up in year 1. I believe that Sidibe and Marek if both healthy are more than capable of giving us 40 really solid mins in the middle. It's just Sidibe's health and both of their fouling tendencies that give me some pause. I always lean towards risk adverse so getting a solid guy into the program this year is always going to be preferable to me then trying to hit a jackpot in 2020 with a higher ceiling guy.
i'm confused why you'd be doubtful of jba because freshman centers are an issue . . but you think freshman mitchell would be solid

is it just the star rating?

i'm confused why you'd be doubtful of jba because freshman centers are an issue . . but you think freshman mitchell would be solid

That’s almost certainly what he’s saying lol.

People are underrating JBA and I like Mitchell’s offensive game but I do worry that he’s not really a rim protector

Some of the hand-wringing in the JBA thread is probably going to look pretty foolish in two years.

But I think we need to add more depth in the pivot, and Mitchell falling out of the sky after missing out on Wahab / Stewart would be a nice bounce-back for the staff. And the more diversified talent we have in the pipeline, the greater the chance that one of these guys pans out.

People are underrating JBA and I like Mitchell’s offensive game but I do worry that he’s not really a rim protector

I do not remember AO being a rim protector, but he was one of the best we ever had at the position. Not saying this kid will be that but using that as a criticism is short sighted.

We'll see. Rick [just for example] was a bigger guy who generally played below the rim, but who ended up being an above average shot blocker. I don't think you can base it definitively on the physical measureables alone.

Also, there are equally as important factors as just blocking shots to anchoring our zone. Arinze controlled the paint with strength, keeping guys from setting up camp. This kid might be cut from that same cloth even if he isn't an elite shot blocker.

Or maybe he ends rounding into peak shape after spending a year in a collegiate S&C program, and we see his overall athleticism improve to the point where he IS a rim protector.

Some of the hand-wringing in the JBA thread is probably going to look pretty foolish in two years.

But I think we need to add more depth in the pivot, and Mitchell falling out of the sky after missing out on Wahab / Stewart would be a nice bounce-back for the staff. And the more diversified talent we have in the pipeline, the greater the chance that one of these guys pans out.

Yeah, with the incredible amount of turnover on these rosters an extra big is a nice thing, especially if a redshirt was a possibility (in the event of PT being scarce for one of the frosh).

We'll see. Rick [just for example] was a bigger guy who generally played below the rim, but who ended up being an above average shot blocker. I don't think you can base it definitively on the physical measureables alone.

Also, there are equally as important factors as just blocking shots to anchoring our zone. Arinze controlled the paint with strength, keeping guys from setting up camp. This kid might be cut from that same cloth even if he isn't an elite shot blocker.

Or maybe he ends rounding into peak shape after spending a year in a collegiate S&C program, and we see his overall athleticism improve to the point where he IS a rim protector.

Agree with all of this (and the original point, by the way, that it's nice to have a rim protector in this defense). But I also think our offense is much better when we have some semblance of a threat in the post. If Mitchell and/or JBA have the potential to get a few buckets a game with their back to the basket and can occasionally kick it out to an open shooter, it would be a huge boon, particularly against teams that get up under our taller guards.

Not sure I really disagree with the premise that we aren't landing big time centers the past several years. Pretty sure Rak, technically, was a 4, so even he may not truly count as a big center commit.

But a couple nits to pick:

1) We have rarely landed big-time centers, really.
Etan was great, but not a big-time recruit. Forth was top 100 but he wasn't terribly exciting even though he was 7-foot -- you could tell he had limited upside from day 1. McNeil, Greg Davis, Ovicina, Arinze, Sean Williams, Baye Keita, Celluck, Obokoh -- all off the radar guys. Onuaku was great but not highly recruited.

Really the top 100 guys were Forth (limited upside), Dashonte Riley (ended up not doing much at a mid-major), Rick Jackson (bulky and decent size but more of a 4), Watkins, Fab and Rak, if you want to throw him in as a center. And that's going back to the days of Otis Hill in the mid-90s.

Really, if you ask me, Fab is probably the only true center with big time size and skill and a potential NBA future that we have brought in a long time -- maybe since Rony.

Point being, it's not like we've landed big-time centers very often period. Can blame that on JB I guess but I don't think it's really a new trend.

2) Why is Chuckwu a weird get? I honestly would like to see us taking more advantage of the transfer route and if I told you on paper that there was a 7-2 guy at a good program who was a top 75 recruit and he would have to sit out a year but then he'd be able to play three years for this program, I would imagine just about anyone would jump on that recruit. His sitting a year is a benefit, IMO, as opposed to a detriment.

Anyway, I'm late to your argument but the narrative I subscribe to is one of us rarely getting true centers (for better or for worse) and generally doing well with transfers, which would be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom