Class of 2019 - C Tre Mitchell (CT) to UMass | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Tre Mitchell (CT) to UMass

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you watch him play he's not a good fit for the zone. Doesn't move well side to side. Not strong enough. I know he's a top 100 recruit but I'd pass.

we desperately need a center
this pearl clutching meme needs to change
next year's likely starting center is the most skilled player on the roster
and behind him there will be 2 bigs fighting for the backup minutes
jb will obviously take another quality big if he can find one, but the need is far from "desperate"

jb will obviously take another quality big if he can find one, but the need is far from "desperate"
No it’s not. We DESPERATELY NEED A CENTER!

Yeah I don't really have a problem with Marek at the 5.

In fact, whatever gets him more minutes is a good thing for us, I think.

But, the guy needs a constant stream of hoagies or something.

Yeah I don't really have a problem with Marek at the 5.

In fact, whatever gets him more minutes is a good thing for us, I think.

But, the guy needs a constant stream of hoagies or something.
I agree, Marek can work. But I view him as playing a 4 at the 5 spot. Can get away with it in college ball now. And it is generally a way to get more offense.

But SU needs another Center. Something seems to have happened to Sid.

Tre would fit a need. I think he would get time. But Tre would also start getting the SU center position back into the more normal staggered top 100 program guy who gets more minutes each year.

If you watch him play he's not a good fit for the zone. Doesn't move well side to side. Not strong enough. I know he's a top 100 recruit but I'd pass.
You’ve been watching our present duo on offense and you would turn down a 5 who can score in the post with either hand and shoot the three? Are you kidding? Because he isn’t a perfect zone fit in your opinion? You’d rather go with just Bourama and JBA as bigs along with Marek?
I like it when we have 5 offensive options on the floor rather than just 4 and a big who can only set picks and get in the way. I’d take this kid in a heartbeat and would love to see us land him.

You’ve been watching our present duo on offense and you would turn down a 5 who can score in the post with either hand and shoot the three? Are you kidding? Because he isn’t a perfect zone fit in your opinion? You’d rather go with just Bourama and JBA as bigs along with Marek?
I like it when we have 5 offensive options on the floor rather than just 4 and a big who can only set picks and get in the way. I’d take this kid in a heartbeat and would love to see us land him.
Absolutely!!! Recruiting for the zone, is in my opinion, what got us where we are now! Offensively challenged!!

What do you know about Ajak though?

He’s touted as having some offensive skill and shooting ability as far as I know.

I’ll be thrilled if we get Mitchell.

Not ready to write it off as playing 4 on 5 next year though.

Also, Sidibe has shown offensive game at times.

Nonsense.

Arinze wasn't a good fit for the zone. Neither was Rick. Both of those guys did fine. being a zone fit doesn't mean you have to be a 7-foot jumping jack with no offensive skill. Players come in all shapes, sizes, and variatons of skill.

Get the best players you can, and adjust based upon what they can do.

What do you know about Ajak though?

He’s touted as having some offensive skill and shooting ability as far as I know.

I’ll be thrilled if we get Mitchell.

Not ready to write it off as playing 4 on 5 next year though.

Also, Sidibe has shown offensive game at times.
To be clear I am bullish on JBA. But regardless of how good or bad he is, I would take Mitchell either way. We can use as much depth at the 5 as we can get, especially since Bourama has shown little this year.

Nonsense.

Arinze wasn't a good fit for the zone. Neither was Rick. Both of those guys did fine. being a zone fit doesn't mean you have to be a 7-foot jumping jack with no offensive skill. Players come in all shapes, sizes, and variatons of skill.

Get the best players you can, and adjust based upon what they can do.
Tremont Waters anybody???

Correction (if you're talking about MD), he probably has the highest BB IQ on the roster and is a talented passer, but I wouldn't apply a "most skilled" appellation to a player with a nascent jump shot who just started driving on defenders. As a stretch-4, he's one of my favorite players, and I root for him even when he has to play the 5 in a pinch. But in terms of beef/skillset in the middle, he's out of position - as was Lydon at 35 pounds heavier. JBA may help, but as you admit he's NRFPT and projects like an MD back-up (stretch-4). So those clamoring for a big with some beef and low-post scoring potential (like Tre M) have a point. We won't wilt and die without one, but that kind of capability would immediately upgrade this recruiting class.

Last edited:
You guys are priceless. One second )"we need to stop recruiting just for kids that fit the zone" a second later "he doesn't fit the zone" a special bunch you all are!
That is what you get when you think the board has some kind of unanimous opinion.

I'm on board for another center and it is apparent the staff is as well. I would like it to be Tre Mitchell or anyone else that can catch the ball, turn to the basket, and lay it in, without dribbling or fumbling it away or taking so much time that the defense has an opportunity to collapse. I'm not asking for Shaq here.

That is what you get when you think the board has some kind of unanimous opinion.

I'm on board for another center and it is apparent the staff is as well. I would like it to be Tre Mitchell or anyone else that can catch the ball, turn to the basket, and lay it in, without dribbling or fumbling it away or taking so much time that the defense has an opportunity to collapse. I'm not asking for Shaq here.
Dude, why you asking for Shaq?

We need another frontcourt player. What we need most is some interior scoring, a guy that can actually receive a dump down pass and do something with it. If that's a traditional forward type, fine, but it seem unlikely that we'll recruit a guy that plays the wing that is also a threat in the paint. Therefore, a center with offensive ability is necessary.

JBA might be that guy, might not. Sidibe may or may not be back or ever healthy enough to be productive. Marek is not a 5 but will continue playing there as needed.

Some bulk and the ability to score is indeed something we need...

We need another frontcourt player. What we need most is some interior scoring, a guy that can actually receive a dump down pass and do something with it. If that's a traditional forward type, fine, but it seem unlikely that we'll recruit a guy that plays the wing that is also a threat in the paint. Therefore, a center with offensive ability is necessary.

JBA might be that guy, might not. Sidibe may or may not be back or ever healthy enough to be productive. Marek is not a 5 but will continue playing there as needed.

Some bulk and the ability to score is indeed something we need...

I think this is fair. Our bigs (not including Marek) inability to convert on dump offs and Off reb put backs costs us at least a few baskets a game. It would be great if we can address that, its not a huge need but its certainly an area that we can improve on.

I think this is fair. Our bigs (not including Marek) inability to convert on dump offs and Off reb put backs costs us at least a few baskets a game. It would be great if we can address that, its not a huge need but its certainly an area that we can improve on.
it's a huge need. a HUGE LIABILITY to the team that the 5's cannot convert near the hoop. UNC - as just one example - bases much of their offense around that one way of scoring.

having non-capable players on the floor - at any position - handicaps the team and lowers the cieling for what it can be.

the ideal 5 needs to: be big enough to not get muscled around like a rag doll, be able to score when in position to score, pass to open teammates effectively, get rebounds and maintain some control of the paint, move smartly in the zone. its a lot to ask - especially considering none of the current bigs on teh roster fit all of those criteria - but there are literally hundreds of players in the NCAA who can do all of the above - just get one. who cares if hes only 6'9" or whatever - just get a player in the paint who can do all of the basics well and this team will reach new heights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom