Class of 2022 - C Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso (CT) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso (CT)

While understanding that every kid is different, I'm pretty tired of going after 7 foot non-American projects that have little to no actual basketball experience. Seems like these kids have about a 1 in 3 chance of turning into anything and that's after 2-3 years.

Can't explain how much more I would prefer a 6'9, 6'10 chubby kid with a buzzcut from middle America like the dudes Notre Dame always finds that end up mashing our guys down low.

Like Marek? One of the toughest post players we’ve had in quite some time? Wasn’t he non-American?

Marek wasn’t a C.

He got Big Boyed constantly by actual centers.

Dude gave his all for us, in spite of being played out of position for the majority of his career here.

While understanding that every kid is different, I'm pretty tired of going after 7 foot non-American projects that have little to no actual basketball experience. Seems like these kids have about a 1 in 3 chance of turning into anything and that's after 2-3 years.

Can't explain how much more I would prefer a 6'9, 6'10 chubby kid with a buzzcut from middle America like the dudes Notre Dame always finds that end up mashing our guys down low.

Tough to tell from a highlight reel, but he looked a lot more skilled than a "project."

Projects don't usually put the ball on the floor like that, or seem comfortable swishing mid-range jumpers like that.

Seems like he's worth paying attention to.

Like Marek? One of the toughest post players we’ve had in quite some time? Wasn’t he non-American?
If you were going to use an example, Jesse would have worked a lot better. Marek was a 3/4 forced to play the 5 mainly due to ALL 3 NON-AMERICAN PROJECT CENTERS on the roster not being "ready" to play.

I’m not saying I disagree with you, but that was 100% Jesse Edwards.

It was also Pascal Chukwu.

At least it appears we are going after a center each year so if just one out of 2 of these guys develop we should be in decent shape.

Not sure if mentioned, but he also goes by Ugonna Onyenso. He looks like he has a lot of potential to me, and a great personality.

Who cares where he’s from? I mean...middle America? Really?

If you were going to use an example, Jesse would have worked a lot better. Marek was a 3/4 forced to play the 5 mainly due to ALL 3 NON-AMERICAN PROJECT CENTERS on the roster not being "ready" to play.
Yes Jesse is yet another great example; I elected not to use him since he is still an active player.

Who cares where he’s from? I mean...middle America? Really?
It matters because they don't grow up playing or watching basketball and don't have the mental or physical repetitions to make an impact for multiple years. Tried to quantify it by saying that every person is different but we're on a message board so people will try to ignore certain things just to disagree.

Bottom line is I just want a damn physical center that can play basketball. Recruiting for the zone with only 7 foot skinny, foreign centers and combo guards that aren't actual point guards is a large part of the reason for our decline.

I’m not saying I disagree with you, but that was 100% Jesse Edwards.

It was also Pascal Chukwu.

At least it appears we are going after a center each year so if just one out of 2 of these guys develop we should be in decent shape.
Chukwu I don't count as much because we were able to see flashes at Providence. Think that getting absolutely nothing out of Obokoh and JBA has soured me. Doesn't help that JB won't let the guys on the floor for a minimum of 1 year if not longer because they're "not ready" is also aggravating.

I went back a dozen recruiting classes and the only non beanpole center we signed in the past decade was DC2.

Are you serious? Both of our centers, Jesse and Frank, are from oversees! Jesse has turned into one of the best players on the team. And Frank, who is essentially a freshman, has huge upside.

Are you serious? Both of our centers, Jesse and Frank, are from oversees! Jesse has turned into one of the best players on the team. And Frank, who is essentially a freshman, has huge upside.
Yes and Arinze Onuaku was born to Nigerian immigrant parents. Fab was definitely not a beanpole either, in fact he came here overweight some and out of condition in his freshman year. Saying this when we currently have Jesse and Frank is pretty odd. Rony Seikaly was probably our first foreign center. Baye Moussa Keita was a defensive force, good rebounder who could really run the court.

Yes and Arinze Onuaku was born to Nigerian immigrant parents. Fab was definitely not a beanpole either, in fact he came here overweight and out of condition in his freshman year. Saying this when we currently have Jesse and Frank is pretty odd. Rony Seikaly was probably our first foreign center. Baye Moussa Keita was a defensive force, good rebounder who could really run the court.
Would anyone turn down someone like Hakeem Olajuwon?

Would anyone turn down someone like Hakeem Olajuwon?
Always makes the most sense to compare high school kids to the greatest college center of all time. Certainly the most likely outcome. Guess I'm wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom