Class of 2022 - C Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso (CT) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso (CT)

I’m sorry - I don’t care that JB and anybody else says this is “one of the best classes in program history”.

Boeheim says things. :rolleyes:

It’s isn’t.

Not even remotely so.

I could pretty easily list at least half a dozen other classes that blow this one away.

It might not even be in the top 10 of the Boeheim era.
From a national rankings standpoint, I agree that numerous other JB classes are higher rated. I do like that this class covers all five positions, some of the guys have already played together, and some look like multi-year guys (the portal, I know, we'll see). Mintz would really cap off this class well, although I wonder if he committed if that would cause any other guys to bail.

Kid looks more like the type that everyone starts jumping on, climbs up the rankings and then we are out of the hunt...
Yeah, I see the same thing. I will be surprised if this kid doesn't blow up.

Tough to tell from a highlight reel, but he looked a lot more skilled than a "project."

Projects don't usually put the ball on the floor like that, or seem comfortable swishing mid-range jumpers like that.

Seems like he's worth paying attention to.
Agreed. Looks like from his tape that he is more advanced than a project. Maybe could use a little more weight and muscle. But, as above he puts the ball in the net from mid range and is very comfortable mixing it up in the low post competing for the ball. Yup, The coaches should keep an eye on this "project" that's not.

Last edited:
I really like the big kid, and actually am glad it looks like he will redshirt. (Assuming the injury heals and it’s not chronic)

Who cares where he’s from? I mean...middle America? Really?

I chose to believe he meant "was given a basketball to hold in his crib and never stopped playing with it" and not "white guy" with his comment. Probably the code was accidental...

I agree with him to some extent. A freshman center that can hit something besides a dunk and dribble a few times before falling down would be pleasant.

The raw physical skills of Kingsley are impressive to say the least.

Last edited:
I really like the big kid, and actually am glad it looks like he will redshirt. (Assuming the injury heals and it’s not chronic)

Missed the injury note. Really really gun shy when seeing a HS injury to a big man. To say we have been snakebit with that is an understatement.

Missed the injury note. Really really gun shy when seeing a HS injury to a big man. To say we have been snakebit with that is an understatement.
I completely hear what you are saying, but when we're not even using up our scholarships, I think that there are times when it's worth taking some chances. I'd rather use a scholarship on a player who could blow up if they are healthy than on a player that just isn't good enough or not using the scholarship at all.

After watching this most recent tape, I want this kid more than anybody else with whom we are mentioned. (Except maybe Wagner, who most think will go pro instead) Kingsley has incredibly fast hands. Even if he gets pushed out of position, he sometimes gets a hand in place to block the ball.

Also, that one highlight where he caught the low pass with both hands and immediately got up and jammed it was really special. Most of our centers through the years drop that out of bounds.

You can't teach 7 feet tall and I'm starting to think you can't teach centers good hands either.

Kingsley to Kansas could lead to Cuse landing Estrella if he's waiting on KU offer. Or vice versa - though Kinglsey seems to be en route to a major power. Something to keep in mind.

I've expressed chugg21's concerns multiple times, largely because Jb i s often reminding us that one of his big men recruits "has only been playing this game for ____ years because he didn't grow up playing it. He also reminds us that big men take longer to develop. Thus, foreign big men are a double challenge. Yes we've had some good ones but we've also had some bad ones and most all of them were skinny ones that got 'rooted out', (to use a Matt Park term), underneath the basket. But they can sure get to that corner jumper...

That said, Ugonna might be a cut above those guys. And we're not the only team with foreign centers.

I like his blocks. "You gonna try that again?"

They already have Clingan
Have you heard of over-recruiting a player’s position. Shows that they have a lot of confidence in Clingan staying.

Have you heard of over-recruiting a player’s position. Shows that they have a lot of confidence in Clingan staying.
Hurley just recruited over Corey Floyd and Rahsool Diggins.

“What separates (Ugonna) is his work ethic and his will to want to be great,” explained PSA associate head coach Josh Scraba, who cited Florida, Maryland, and Syracuse as programs who have been in recent pursuit of Onyenso.

“With this Jayhawks team he’s going to be truly a difference maker inside,” Scraba said. “Syracuse assistant Gerry McNamara has also done a commendable job recruiting Onyenso. Providence, UConn, and Boston College were the first to get involved with Onyenso when he arrived at the doorstep in Connecticut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom