Class of 2023 - C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23) | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23)

We have had situations in recent years where we have only had 7 scholarship players available for practice and games.

That is not acceptable. You need to fill out your roster with 13 scholarship players to account for injuries, drop outs, opt outs, burn outs and everything else.

Everyone on the roster doesn't have to be a highly recruit player who has aspirations of playing in the NBA. In the portal era, all that does is assure you will have massive churn from year to year, and greatly increases the chances of having a roster with 7 players on scholarship in a given year.

Having a player or two on the roster who is a development player, and knows he is a development player and is okay being a development player is good roster management.

Now if we end up with 3 or 4 of these types on the roster, there is a major problem.

I see William as a replacement for JBA. Let's see what happens from this point forward.

Welcome to Syracuse William. I can't remember the last time we took 2 players in a row from NYC. It has been a while.
Agree with what your saying but half the roster is categorized as a developmental player. Only Judah, Jesse, and Joe are a finished product at this point. This is just utilizing a scholarship when the roster needs a serious upgrade. Time will tell this offseason.

Where is Ajak going? If Hop or GMAC get the Bucknell job, I could see him going there.

What skills does Carey have as a power forward? He hasn’t played competitive basketball in three years. I know he’s athletic, but what else does he bring?
Ajak is a senior academically but is a RS junior eligibility wise. He can go elsewhere as a grad transfer.

There’s a lot of dead weight on this roster.
There's a lot of dead weight everywhere in the college game. If Boeheim could force players out like he used to, it wouldn't be an issue. Just have to hope that this is a transfer laden class to bridge into 2024.

A few of you have said it best Scott11 RF2044 that he has some tools but the issue is, everyone thinks every person we recruit is under the lights to be the star. When cuse had the depth over the years, they filled the roster with guys like this. It’s not fair to continue to expect stars right away. Everyone is a project in some sort, but the key is right now bc the recruiting has been so down, you don’t get excited about a player like this even though the coaches see something

(Looking up at him): "You can't teach 7-2"
Why do so many people think tall people are dumb? I kid, I kid. My son is 6'5" and I like joking that he should not put pressure on himself in life 'cuz I have always heard that you can't teach height, so any accomplishment is great and we will still love him just the same.

Oh yeah, he is a double major in finance and analytics while playing baseball and already has a baseball scholarship for his MBA. Now if "you can't teach fat" were a saying you could likely use ME to prove that one out . . .

Fab started EVERY game his freshman year.
Of course, he was often pulled after just a minute or two. But he DID start.
He was lucky to make it to the first timeout. Starting at SU doesn’t mean much if you’re a freshman big. Ask Christmas.

He’s 8 inches taller than any player on the MBB roster of the NJ college with the same name.

A few of you have said it best Scott11 RF2044 that he has some tools but the issue is, everyone thinks every person we recruit is under the lights to be the star. When cuse had the depth over the years, they filled the roster with guys like this. It’s not fair to continue to expect stars right away. Everyone is a project in some sort, but the key is right now bc the recruiting has been so down, you don’t get excited about a player like this even though the coaches see something
When your starters are top-100 players as juniors and seniors, taking on one or two frosh projects is perfectly acceptable. AO was a project, on a team loaded with six top-50 recruits and upper classmen starters. Rick Jackson and Scoop were "projects" as freshmen, but they were top-60 recruits and both got minutes in their freshman years.

But this team if you return all the non-seniors only has two non-projects. We've got senior projects on this team right now in conjunction with frosh projects and recruit projects combined with a coach who still thinks its 2005, or 1995, or 1985, or 1975 ...

ETA: And, I hope this kid turns into a quality big who can play minutes, it'll be awesome to bump my posts in 3 years when he's averaging 4 blocks a game and Thabeet-ing all over the place.

That move is more roster building for 2024-25, 2025-26 and beyond.
Taking 3-year projects is fine if we are rolling in high gear targeting immediate impact players in the offseason. But we’re not.

We need a staff + NIL that can go out and get 3-4 high quality ready-to-go players every year. 1 top 25 kid, 2 top 50 kids, 1 top 100 underrated kid. We used to do that, or come very close to it during our best years WITHOUT the portal so this is not a pipe dream especially when you factor the transfer market.

If we do that then yeah go ahead and fill the 13th spot with Ajak 2.0.

Carey to the 4.
Himm Frosh
Brown Carey
Bell ?
Taylor ?
? COPE
puke GIF

JB really wants to go out with a bang next year.

Was kinda hoping to see some celebration from the Orange fans on Patterson’s commitment before the scathing player analysis hits… no matter the career outcome I’m still appreciative of any player that commits to Syracuse.

Congrats on the commitment William, welcome to the Orange family, celebrate your decision well! Looking forward to you getting to work when you arrive. Let’s go!

I think everyone knows that should he come to Syracuse, Patterson adds nothing to the team for 2023-24.

That move is more roster building for 2024-25, 2025-26 and beyond.

I don't see Patterson's presence on the roster playing a role in whether we add an experienced center for 2023-24 (or retain Jesse).

That said, JAB has done some strange things with the roster in recent years and perhaps you are correct.
Taking this kid is going to allow us to trade the dead weight on this team to another team that is looking to reduce payroll. Just like the NBA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom