Calipari 30 for 30 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Calipari 30 for 30

You must bevnew to the recruiting game then. You can believe what you want but there are A LOT of us know the real truth. If you don't believe me just ask world wide Wes.

Im sure Wes has a lot to do with bringing in bigtime recruits. But what is he doing that is illegal? Is he giving them money? Buying them cars?
Truth is we dont know. We can speculate all we want but have no proof of any wrong doing.

That's cause he's selling this -
View attachment 95313

Absolutely right!
If I am a 5 star recruit and Cal comes knocking, I am answering.
Just watch the doc, he has a very infectious personality. I can see why kids want to play for him.
Cool coach can help me make millions and be big time players in the tourney every year...sign me up.

Absolutely right!
If I am a 5 star recruit and Cal comes knocking, I am answering.
Just watch the doc, he has a very infectious personality. I can see why kids want to play for him.
Cool coach can help me make millions and be big time players in the tourney every year...sign me up.
You sure you really aren't a Kentucky fan.

You sure you really aren't a Kentucky fan.

Haha! No and I am sorry if I come across like that. I have to deal with them and their fans on a daily basis. Never will I be a UK fan.

With that being said, I do like Coach Cal. I have listened and watched him in numerous interviews and specials. Maybe I am just susceptible to his charm. Not sure.

And to be honest I am always the one to rag on UK fans about Cal cheating and paying players. But I just cant pin that on him without it being a fact.

That is all easy to say but where is the proof?
Marcus Camby recieved gifts from an agent. Derrick Rose was deemed inelgible due to faulty SAT scores. Not really a smoking gun to call Cal a cheater.

He is merely taking full advantage of a stupid rule that the NBA implemented. He gets guys drafted at an alarming rate. Guys that dont start and hardly play get drafted.

Its not like they are winning Championships every year. He has one title in his career. Rick Pitino almost had 3 at UK.

Cal being called a cheater is nothing more than pure jealousy of fans of other teams. If Boeheim was pulling all these 5 star guys you would not say anything.

Now I live in Kentucky and I am surrounded by UK fans. Its unbelievable. I despise UK basketball. But to just crap all over Cal for bogus claims is uncalled for.
Ever heard of "Stockholm Syndrome"? ;)
Seriously though, I think when it comes to Calipari you have separate issues in play.
Very good, not great coach.
Excellent recruiter.
Works very hard at his craft, i.e.; marketing for U.K.
Slimy used car salesman with questionable ties to disreputable characters like WWWes? Absolutely.
Maybe the thing I hate/admire most about Cal is his willingness to stretch the rules as far as possible, and the sheer shameless attitude he brings to that pursuit. You tip your cap, but you feel like taking a good shower after watching him. JMHO

Ever heard of "Stockholm Syndrome"? ;)
Seriously though, I think when it comes to Calipari you have separate issues in play.
Very good, not great coach.
Excellent recruiter.
Works very hard at his craft, i.e.; marketing for U.K.
Slimy used car salesman with questionable ties to disreputable characters like WWWes? Absolutely.
Maybe the thing I hate/admire most about Cal is his willingness to stretch the rules as far as possible, and the sheer shameless attitude he brings to that pursuit. You tip your cap, but you feel like taking a good shower after watching him. JMHO

I think this pretty much nails it. I mean, if the guy eventually is nailed as a ridiculous cheater who has been paying players for years, I don't think anyone (including his staunchest UK supporters) would really be surprised. But at the end of the day there is a lot of jealousy and I do have some respect for the fact that he doesn't really hide what his intentions are -- namely winning a ton of games and titles while essentially operating (in coordination with UK) as a minor league NBA franchise within the college ranks. Do you need to take a shower afterwards? Yes, but welcome to high-level college sports, IMO.

They were kind of screwed, they called a bogus T on a guy pounding the ball into the ground celebrating a rebound and foul late in OT - it also was not in the NCAA's. It was in regular season SEC play.

Ok still not the right message to your team imho

Did they do a 30 for 30 after selection sunday? I know they usually do one, I forgot to check this year.

This was coach cal propaganda.

It was intriguing.

He told his players after a loss to texas am in the ncaas that they were screwed over by the refs. Nice message.

Not one comment from coach cal on world wide wes. Breezed over the situation like it was fine. A 30:30 on wes would be better. I still dont understand how someone affiliated with an agency/on agency's payroll can funnel players to a particular school.

Derrick rose taking the sats in detroit is hilarity.

Every loss Syracuse has had in the past 20 years has been because of the refs, do you not go into the game threads?

Every loss Syracuse has had in the past 20 years has been because of the refs, do you not go into the game threads?

We're just fans on a message board. He's the coach saying that. Not that other coaches haven't said that, but your comparison is not applicable imho

We're just fans on a message board. He's the coach saying that. Not that other coaches haven't said that, but your comparison is not applicable imho

I believe I've heard JB say it back in the day, and the team we beat, think it was Kansas State, their coach said it too. It isn't unprecedented.

My view on Calipari is this -- he's incredibly, insatiably over-competitive and completely disinterested in any sort of academic component and, probably, any sort of development outside of basketball. But those things probably align him with his peers more than make him stand out.

I'm not as sure he's an outright cheater as i think it's more that he looks to take advantage of the system in every way humanly possible. He wants to get an edge by gaming the system whereas most other coaches are trying to find an edge while 'generally' keeping more or less within the broad specrum of 'fair' play.

He's sleazy, it's hard to buy him as a 'good' guy (tho I doubt many of these dudes truly fit in that category) and he may not be much of a tactician. But in his defense, dude knows talent, understands how to play the system to get that talent better than any coach out there and I do kind of give him credit for simply embracing the fact that he's running an NBA factory.

I get why folks hate him but I'm more ambivalent. You set up a bizarre system with odd rules and a complete fraud of a premise (i.e. We care about STUDENT-athletes), and you are basically inviting guys like Cal to come abuse it. You reap what you sow.
A bizarre system wasn't set up, it evolved. College sports were never intended to be what they are now. They all started out the same as what D3 is now. As people started to care they found ways to entice athletes to choose their schools. Schools got together to try to govern it in some way. As institutions find ways around the rules, new rules are established in an attempt to close the loopholes. As more and more money is spent/made they try to maintain the amateur status of it all. The NCAA is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Some rules hurt the kids they're meant to protect while others find ways around the rules on the books. Add in the sleaziness that comes with conveniently turning a blind eye to the little princess schools and it all starts to stink.

The older I get, the less I care about college sports. I'll probably never give it up because it's my vice, but I wish legitimate minor league systems would be set in a of the major sports so I can get back to watching players I root for for longer than 1 maybe 2 years.

Not the first and won't be the last. Remember JB after the 1984 BET final?
Wait, wasn't this the one where Michael Graham took a swing at Andre Hawkins, the refs called a T which would've meant an automatic ejection, and then reversed themselves and kept him in the game?
JB was absolutely justified in calling out the officiating after that. This wasn't just a ticki-tack foul at the wrong time, but a call that totally affected the outcome. How does that equate to Cal bitchin' cause a few calls went against U.K.? Not the same situation, IMO.

Wait, wasn't this the one where Michael Graham took a swing at Andre Hawkins, the refs called a T which would've meant an automatic ejection, and then reversed themselves and kept him in the game?
JB was absolutely justified in calling out the officiating after that. This wasn't just a ticki-tack foul at the wrong time, but a call that totally affected the outcome. How does that equate to Cal bitchin' cause a few calls went against U.K.? Not the same situation, IMO.

Yes. I don't think it was just a T. I think the ref actually ejected the player and then recanted!

Let's be honest here. Reverse the coaches in these scenarios and we'd find a reason to call JB justified and Calipari a DB.

Im sure Wes has a lot to do with bringing in bigtime recruits. But what is he doing that is illegal? Is he giving them money? Buying them cars?
Truth is we dont know. We can speculate all we want but have no proof of any wrong doing.

He wasn't caught doing anything, but the whole Rose thing reeks, who goes out of state to take their Sat's?

I was born in Florida and my grandmother lives down there so I became a Gator fan from birth, nothing really amazes me anymore when it comes to the reach coaches have and how easy they can cover things up, Dabo Sweeney evidently has enough pull to get their most recent recruits father out of jail earlier then expected, the recruit is Xavier Thomas and there have been a lot of rumors flying around, both Clemson and South Carolina have both been helping his family as well, apparently. One thing I have learned to realize from all of this is even if you hear things, you'll never find out the true story unless you are directly involved with the situation.

Let's be honest here. Reverse the coaches in these scenarios and we'd find a reason to call JB justified and Calipari a DB.
Maybe. After all, it depends on whose ox is being gored. The point was that that was an unusual incident, and not the typical "refs called a horrible game" scenario that fans usually bitch about. Any HC would've griped about that ejection/non-ejection situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom