Calipari 30 for 30 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Calipari 30 for 30

It goes back a ways in college basketball...

UCLA Wooden, Sam Gilbert.

LA Times...

A 1981 Times investigative series, which interviewed 45 people connected with the basketball program, established Gilbert as "a one-man clearing house who has enabled players and their families to receive goods and services usually at big discounts and sometimes at no cost."

The paper quoted Brent Clark, an NCAA field investigator who said that, in 1977, he was told to drop his case in Westwood. "If I had spent a month in Los Angeles, I could have put them on indefinite suspension," he said of UCLA. An NCAA spokesman disputed this claim, saying that Clark was living a "fantasy world."

The Times established that Gilbert, during Wooden's heyday, helped players get cars, clothes, airline tickets and scalpers' prices for UCLA season tickets. Gilbert allegedly even arranged abortions for players' girlfriends.

Times reporters Mike Littwin and Alan Greenberg opined:

" . . . Wooden knew about Gilbert. He knew the players were close to Gilbert. He knew they looked to Gilbert for advice. Maybe he knew more. He should have known much more. If he didn't, it was only because he apparently chose not to look."

Gilbert died, at age 74, in 1987, four days before federal prosecutors, unaware of his passing, indicted him for racketeering and money laundering.

"I tried my best," Wooden told the Basketball Times in 2005, ". . . My conscience is clear."

The dark side of the UCLA basketball dynasty

pixel.gif

Last edited:
Wait, wasn't this the one where Michael Graham took a swing at Andre Hawkins, the refs called a T which would've meant an automatic ejection, and then reversed themselves and kept him in the game?
JB was absolutely justified in calling out the officiating after that. This wasn't just a ticki-tack foul at the wrong time, but a call that totally affected the outcome. How does that equate to Cal bitchin' cause a few calls went against U.K.? Not the same situation, IMO.

JB was absolutely correct to be mad. The situation Cal was complaining about is when one of his players got a bogus technical foul called on him for celebrating at the end of a game with Texas A&M. It wasn't as bad as the Graham situation but it was bad. I'm sure JB wouldn't have been handing out bouquets in his post game presser if that happened to his squad.

It goes back a ways in college basketball...

UCLA Wooden, Sam Gilbert.

LA Times...

A 1981 Times investigative series, which interviewed 45 people connected with the basketball program, established Gilbert as "a one-man clearing house who has enabled players and their families to receive goods and services usually at big discounts and sometimes at no cost."

The paper quoted Brent Clark, an NCAA field investigator who said that, in 1977, he was told to drop his case in Westwood. "If I had spent a month in Los Angeles, I could have put them on indefinite suspension," he said of UCLA. An NCAA spokesman disputed this claim, saying that Clark was living a "fantasy world."

The Times established that Gilbert, during Wooden's heyday, helped players get cars, clothes, airline tickets and scalpers' prices for UCLA season tickets. Gilbert allegedly even arranged abortions for players' girlfriends.

Times reporters Mike Littwin and Alan Greenberg opined:

" . . . Wooden knew about Gilbert. He knew the players were close to Gilbert. He knew they looked to Gilbert for advice. Maybe he knew more. He should have known much more. If he didn't, it was only because he apparently chose not to look."

Gilbert died, at age 74, in 1987, four days before federal prosecutors, unaware of his passing, indicted him for racketeering and money laundering.

"I tried my best," Wooden told the Basketball Times in 2005, ". . . My conscience is clear."

The dark side of the UCLA basketball dynasty

pixel.gif

Big time college hoops can be a dirty business. To focus (not you specifically) on one or two programs is naive. I bet we don't know the half of what goes on at many of these schools, some of which we'd never suspect engage in such shenanigans.

JB was absolutely correct to be mad. The situation Cal was complaining about is when one of his players got a bogus technical foul called on him for celebrating at the end of a game with Texas A&M. It wasn't as bad as the Graham situation but it was bad. I'm sure JB wouldn't have been handing out bouquets in his post game presser if that happened to his squad.

Vermont, 2005.

Watching the 30 for 30 - the technical called against Calipari (UMass) vs. Kentucky in the east regional by Lenny Wirtz from 80 feet away for being outside the coaches box was a doozy. That made the Michael Graham fiasco look like a nickel dimer.

Derrick Rose was deemed inelgible due to faulty SAT scores. Not really a smoking gun to call Cal a cheater.

One thing I learned from the show is that Calipari is a great conversationalist. So I would imagine the pre-SAT conversation with Derrick Rose went something like this:

DR: "Coach, I'm taking the SAT's tomorrow."

JC: "Well, Derrick, give it all you have. We need you, man. Get some rest today."

DR: "Thanks, Coach. I will. But have to go to Detroit today."

JC: "Detroit????!!!???"

DR: "Yeah, that's where I'm taking the test."

JC: "OK, Derrick. Don't tell me any more. Good luck."

So, JC never knows how Derrick got to Detroit or who paid for the trip and his stay there.
All we get is a phrase like "Worldwide Wes was running the show," whatever that means.

I love the guy who was talking about WWW and that no one knows what he does. He went on to say the NCAA made no case against Rose and then the NCAA investigator says we asked Memphis if they believed he should have been eligible and they said no. It's like getting a full confession on a murder and complaining the prosecutor didn't show everyone the murder weapon. Everyone knows what WWW does which was the part I find so funny. How can anyone say that with a straight face. I haven't finished it yet have about 20 minutes left but it was good until WWW part which is hard to watch.

Vermont, 2005.

Umass out of bounds call '92, Missouri Autry knees shot '94, Arkansas timeout granted '95, Kentucky Wallace cheap 5th foul '96...Butler suplex 2010, Marquette backcourt 2011, Ohio State entire game 2012, Michigan MCW 5th foul/Triche charge 2013.

We've taken our fair share of tough calls that cost us in the tourney.

Umass out of bounds call '92, Missouri Autry knees shot '94, Arkansas timeout granted '95, Kentucky Wallace cheap 5th foul '96...Butler suplex 2010, Marquette backcourt 2011, Ohio State entire game 2012, Michigan MCW 5th foul/Triche charge 2013.

We've taken our fair share of tough calls that cost us in the tourney.

I was specifically talking about ticky-tack technicals that cost us.

I was specifically talking about ticky-tack technicals that cost us.

Oh, ok. Does Coleman throwing the ball at the Minnesota player count? He kinda had it coming.

But yeah, I was absolutely livid when they called that T on Roberts against Vermont. Ridiculous.

I thought it was good. I don't have a problem with Cal. He works the system as it is set up and isn't concerned with putting on a faux image of "academics matter". He's better at it than everyone and that sticks in peoples craws. That said a much better 30 for 30 would be on WWW.

I thought it was good. I don't have a problem with Cal. He works the system as it is set up and isn't concerned with putting on a faux image of "academics matter". He's better at it than everyone and that sticks in peoples craws. That said a much better 30 for 30 would be on WWW.
I think Cal is sleazy, but I also agree that he is not the biggest problem in college ball. The rules need a serious overhaul. Should coaches and programs that break the rules be punished in the meantime? Absolutely. But let's change the many rules that don't make sense.

That is all easy to say but where is the proof?
Marcus Camby recieved gifts from an agent. Derrick Rose was deemed inelgible due to faulty SAT scores. Not really a smoking gun to call Cal a cheater.

He is merely taking full advantage of a stupid rule that the NBA implemented. He gets guys drafted at an alarming rate. Guys that dont start and hardly play get drafted.

Its not like they are winning Championships every year. He has one title in his career. Rick Pitino almost had 3 at UK.

Cal being called a cheater is nothing more than pure jealousy of fans of other teams. If Boeheim was pulling all these 5 star guys you would not say anything.

Now I live in Kentucky and I am surrounded by UK fans. Its unbelievable. I despise UK basketball. But to just crap all over Cal for bogus claims is uncalled for.
I do not think he gets anyone drafted. For the most part already draftable guys go to Kentucky for a year or two.

Correct. The guy games the system. Coach K saw him doing it and thought, that's a helluva an idea.

I do not think he gets anyone drafted. For the most part already draftable guys go to Kentucky for a year or two.

Ok maybe I should say he streamlines the process for the kids. Its one stop shopping at UK for NBA GM's. He helps provide a national podium for their talents.

You are right though these guys are already draftable. And some probably could go straight from HS if allowed.

I agree and I'm not sure if it's been discussed but I don't think he pitches the idea he gets kids drafted. He pitches the idea that he will get you the exposure and it's your job to get drafted. The one thing he does really well is he tells the kids after the season that it's their decision to make and wants them to go. He is the anti-briancuse. It's all for show to bring more kids in but that doesn't matter really. I mean WWW pays your family 100k the 1 year you are in college and at UK you will get the most exposure. If you come from a poor neighborhood like most of these kids do it makes total sense. As things are set up now he is basically unbeatable in recruiting. The only real way you can beat him is if you somehow get to the kid first and he decides to stay with you out of loyalty and believes he is getting drafted either way (Green if he had picked us). The other is if the kid is from the town your school is in and your a strong program (Coleman). The only program that can really go head to head with Cal is Duke and they have their whole we will take care of you for life outside of basketball argument. I imagine that works really well because it is a private school with many alumni that are quite affluent and that is probably the one thing UK doesn't have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom