Calipari | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Calipari

Although this discussion is days old and Cal has since re-upped, why would he need to clean his methods? UCLA under Wooden was the second highest paid program in the city after the Lakers.

When you live in ‘a city,’ you don’t spend all your time in that singular bubble. You may feel like Lexington fits your needs, but it absolutely doesn’t fit mine.

Moreover, I’m pretty sure you and I would still have different experiences in Lexington.

And to more practical matters: it’s landlocked, it’s cold, it’s southern, I’m not familiar with its museums or operas, or it’s pro sports teams... I don’t like its politics...

I spent the first 25 years of my adult life in midtown NYC, and the last 6 years in LA, with a couple of years in Rio de Janeiro. Kentucky don’t work for me.
That's fine it might work for cal. He lived in mass nj tn and ky. And he grew up in Pitt. Perhaps weather doesn't mean much to him. I've been to la a few teams other than nice weather the city blows.

That's fine it might work for cal. He lived in mass nj tn and ky. And he grew up in Pitt. Perhaps weather doesn't mean much to him. I've been to la a few teams other than nice weather the city blows.
That's a ridiculous comment. You've "been to la a few times?" Where'd you go? "LA" is comprised of a lot of different neighborhoods and towns. If the sum total of "LA" blows, you probably just didn't know what you were doing.

I grew up in Delaware, and lived in Ohio, Syracuse/NYC. After going to Brazil a ton of times, i got sick of coming home to gray, slushy, frigid Manhattan. Moved to LA. Weather means a lot once you have a different perspective on it. But, hey—Cal kept/took the better professional offer. Certainly doesn't mean Lexington is a better home than SoCal.

That's a ridiculous comment. You've "been to la a few times?" Where'd you go? "LA" is comprised of a lot of different neighborhoods and towns. If the sum total of "LA" blows, you probably just didn't know what you were doing.

What he meant was its not as nice as syracuse and the fish tacos are ovverated.

[QUOTE="Zelda Zonk, post: 2983629, I already did my time in that kind of ‘culture.’ Never again. Yes, I’m stereotyping, but no, I’m not.

You did time?
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Not literal prison. That's just what i call it, semi-jokingly: my three high school years. It was brutal. I went from an idyllic, Wonder Years type of environment in Delaware, to a bit of a northern hick town in Ohio. Second day of school there, i was greeted with the N-word 'engraved' into my desk. I did not have a good time.

You're there, though, right? What part? Obs there are some very nice parts. I used to like Hudson and Beachwood, and Shaker Heights...

All other things aren’t equal. Cost of living probably 10-12 times higher & traffic is the worst in the country
Yeah, the traffic sucks. And cost of living? That's only housing you're talking about, right? A steak, a shirt, a Porsche, a cup of coffee is not so much different in price in either location. Where'd you get 10-12x?

Either way, I'd pay it. In a heartbeat. You only live once. He can afford whatever house/car/lifestyle he wants to live, in either place. And, maybe the additional media/endorsement opportunities make up the difference. There's a reason why pro athletes like playing in big market cities. Again, though: ignoring the professional ramifications. Kentucky is surely a better job than UCLA is right now. But, who knows what UCLA is willing to do going forward? One thing for sure: Westwood is beautiful. I had never been over there until my last flight out into LAX, and my cab went through that area.

Traffic is bad because everyone wants to live there... If you live and work in the same 'town,' it's not an issue at all. Personally, i'd rather fight the traffic and be able to drive a convertible 10+ months a year than have to deal with snow, cold, having to warm up the car, scraping frost from windshields, defrosting, shoveling, winter coats, boots, umbrellas...

I grew up in Delaware, and lived in Ohio, Syracuse/NYC. After going to Brazil a ton of times, i got sick of coming home to gray, slushy, frigid Manhattan. Moved to LA. Weather means a lot once you have a different perspective on it. But, hey—Cal kept/took the better professional offer. Certainly doesn't mean Lexington is a better home than SoCal.
If you like sitting in traffic and meeting fake people la is the city for you. If you like la that fine I just don't really find anything special in it. The ucla job isn't what it used to be.

If you like sitting in traffic and meeting fake people la is the city for you. If you like la that fine I just don't really find anything special in it. The ucla job isn't what it used to be.
Who's fake? You must be watching the wrong stuff on tv.
Seriously, that's about the most absurd stereotype i've heard about Los Angeles. Firstly, 75% of the people i know here are from other places. Most from New York/the NY 'tri-state area.' If you're of the mind that it's all about The Kardashians, well, no, it's not. In fact, when i was living in Los Feliz (just east of Hollywood), i used to say that it was too much like Brooklyn that i wished it were more like 'bikinis and beach bunnies.'

As for the 'fakeness' cliché, it's just absurd. I've lived on the east coast, the midwest, and the west coast, and the people are no more or less genuine in any particular place. I'll tell you what, though, there's a level of what i call 'sophistication' that's higher here than in the midwest, or south, that's for darned sure. I'll take that and even the extremes of liberalism over primitivism and hicks.

Where are you from, by the by? What's with the Kentucky advocacy? You got skin in the game?

Then you haven’t had really good tacos,
And by that I mean really authentic
Mexican tacos
I am literally seven miles from Mexico now. Was just in Mexico three weeks ago.
But, yeah, you're right. I don't even like tacos... Blechhh.:vomit:

Who's fake? You must be watching the wrong stuff on tv.
Seriously, that's about the most absurd stereotype i've heard about Los Angeles. Firstly, 75% of the people i know here are from other places. Most from New York/the NY 'tri-state area.' If you're of the mind that it's all about The Kardashians, well, no, it's not. In fact, when i was living in Los Feliz (just east of Hollywood), i used to say that it was too much like Brooklyn that i wished it were more like 'bikinis and beach bunnies.'

As for the 'fakeness' cliché, it's just absurd. I've lived on the east coast, the midwest, and the west coast, and the people are no more or less genuine in any particular place. I'll tell you what, though, there's a level of what i call 'sophistication' that's higher here than in the midwest, or south, that's for darned sure. I'll take that and even the extremes of liberalism over primitivism and hicks.

Where are you from, by the by? What's with the Kentucky advocacy? You got skin in the game?
Just my experience to each its own. I have no skin In the game I live in nj been to Lexington once it was a nice place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom