Calipari | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Calipari

UCLA flies commercial and the facilities are awful. Weather and location do not always equal better job.

UCLA went to 3 straight Final Fours 2006-2008 and Ben Howland. He made the tournament 3 of the 5 next years and was fired.
That job is overrated.
If 3 Final Fours in 10 years doesn’t get you patience then the job isn’t worth it.

Did I read that wrong - UCLA's offer was for less money than Cal was currently making prior to the lifetime deal? If I did - What is that?

UCLA flies commercial and the facilities are awful. Weather and location do not always equal better job.
Is this true?.. I knew about them having poor facilities, but they can't even charter flights for the team? What are they doing making runs at big time coaches when they won't even pay for the basic pillars of a legit program - facilities/amenities..

How do you fly to Corevalis, OR, Eugene, OR or Pullman, WA flying commercial?
Wow UCLA is dumb.
Those are small college towns.
I would think you have to fly charter there.
Flying to Seattle, Northern California, Boulder, Salt Lake or Arizona commercially is fine.

UCLA apparently is going to hard after Jamie Dixon now.

Wow UCLA is dumb.
Flying to Seattle, Northern California, Boulder, Salt Lake or Arizona commercially is fine.

I don’t know, but this isn’t the first time I’ve heard this.

Yeah, except for the fact that their four seasons are earthquakes, forest fires, mudslides, and droughts or biblical flooding . . . and good luck getting anywhere on their freeways :)

And I'll take all of it over 5+ months of winter.

Wow UCLA is dumb.

Following that Pitt to UCLA pipeline with a quick stop in Fort Worth.

Apparently UCLA offered Cal 6 years 48 Mil. He's getting more at UK and doesn't have to deal with the baggage associated with building up a program, dealing with the headache of fans/boosters/facilities/Bill Walton. A lifetime gig with the money UK is funneling him, is too good to pass up, no way he leaves. This was pure leverage on Cal's part.

Wonder if Hop got a look.

I am in SoCal so I probably here more about the UCLA coaching search (whether I want to or not). Hop is still on the list but he was one of the top candidates before UW gave him an extension. Luke Walton is their #1 choice, now that Calipari is out. Walton will likely get another NBA job. Gregg Marshall from Wichita State and Tony Bennett are the two names the rabid fanbase seems to be clamoring for.

I knew about them having poor facilities
In the spirit of accuracy, as I have seen it referenced incorrectly about 3-4 times in this thread...

Pauley Pavilion received a significant facelift earlier this decade. So, that is not an issue. I cannot speak to the Bruins' practice facilities.

The commercial flights thing is real, but I sense that they are on the verge of "fixing" that.

From UCLA's website:
Pauley Pavilion presented by Wescom is regarded as one of the finest all-around collegiate facilities in the nation and has been the site of numerous illustrious events. It is also the primary facility for UCLA men's and women's basketball, men's and women's volleyball, and women's gymnastics. Pauley Pavilion was introduced to the University at the June 1965 Commencement exercises, at which time it was dedicated and named for Regent Edwin W. Pauley, the principal donor to the building fund. The arena underwent a $136-million renovation from 2010-12. New Pauley Pavilion contains seating for approximately 13,800 spectators.

Wow UCLA is dumb.

There are direct flights from LAX to Corvallis and Eugene. Only Pullman you have to connect. They probably fly charter there.

Because it's in Kentucky. My god, i'd hate to have to live there.
After the last six years in LA, i can vouch for the weather. It's phenomenal. And that's not even addressing the culture.

Professionally, though, yeah, UCLA isn't the better job. But, if he's Cal, and if he brings the same... um, schemes to Los Angeles, he'd recruit huge, he'd still be at the top of his conference, and he'd likely get the school to pony-up for all the amenities and perks.

The question is, does he get indicted before the end of a lifetime deal? Second question is, if he's as dirty as most people here think, does a lifetime deal incentivize him to clean up his act? Because of the security?
Have you ever been to Lexington?

I'd love to hear how a state university can justify paying a basketball coach $9.2 million a year. Hey, they love winning basketball in the Commonwealth.

Have you ever been to Lexington?
Dude. No. Because you know who lives there? Kentuckians. With confederate flag decals on their pickup trucks. Not my bag. I already did my time in that kind of ‘culture.’ Never again. Yes, I’m stereotyping, but no, I’m not.

Because it's in Kentucky. My god, i'd hate to have to live there.
After the last six years in LA, i can vouch for the weather. It's phenomenal. And that's not even addressing the culture.

Professionally, though, yeah, UCLA isn't the better job. But, if he's Cal, and if he brings the same... um, schemes to Los Angeles, he'd recruit huge, he'd still be at the top of his conference, and he'd likely get the school to pony-up for all the amenities and perks.

The question is, does he get indicted before the end of a lifetime deal? Second question is, if he's as dirty as most people here think, does a lifetime deal incentivize him to clean up his act? Because of the security?
I haven't been to Kentucky to stay, but I know people who moved there. They absolutely love it.

Dude. No. Because you know who lives there? Kentuckians. With confederate flag decals on their pickup trucks. Not my bag. I already did my time in that kind of ‘culture.’ Never again. Yes, I’m stereotyping, but no, I’m not.
I live here and have for many years. You are stereotyping. Louisville is a very nice city. Lexington has some very nice parts too. There are some beautiful horse farms and rolling hills and very nice state parks. Yes some of the rural areas and parts of eastern KY are quite depressed like most states.

Lexington is nothing like that lol.

Lexington is nothing like that lol.
When you live in ‘a city,’ you don’t spend all your time in that singular bubble. You may feel like Lexington fits your needs, but it absolutely doesn’t fit mine.

Moreover, I’m pretty sure you and I would still have different experiences in Lexington.

And to more practical matters: it’s landlocked, it’s cold, it’s southern, I’m not familiar with its museums or operas, or it’s pro sports teams... I don’t like its politics...

I spent the first 25 years of my adult life in midtown NYC, and the last 6 years in LA, with a couple of years in Rio de Janeiro. Kentucky don’t work for me.

I’d chose to live in California over Kentucky any day, all other things being anywhere close to equal.

All other things aren’t equal. Cost of living probably 10-12 times higher & traffic is the worst in the country

[QUOTE="Zelda Zonk, post: 2983629, I already did my time in that kind of ‘culture.’ Never again. Yes, I’m stereotyping, but no, I’m not.[/QUOTE]

You did time?
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom