Calipari... | Syracusefan.com

Calipari...

bpo57

Living Legend
is a very underrated coach. Perception amongst some is he rolls out the balls- sure he gets talent but the guy gets as much out of that talent as anybody out there. Been to the Sweet 16 or better eight of the last nine years and has been to the Elite Eight 8 different times with three different programs. Not a fan per se but he's easily one of the best coaches in the country.

is a very underrated coach. Perception amongst some is he rolls out the balls- sure he gets talent but the guy gets as much out of that talent as anybody out there. Been to the Sweet 16 or better eight of the last nine years and has been to the Elite Eight 8 different times with three different programs. Not a fan per se but he's easily one of the best coaches in the country.

That's borderline heresay to say around here. Prevailing opinion is that because he's cheated, nothing else matters.

I think it's pretty obvious that cheating and being an excellent coach are not mutually exclusive.

Last year got him a lot of criticism. But they are absolutely legit this year; they eliminated 2 of the Final 4 teams last year (have a chance to eliminate the 3rd on Sunday), both of those teams are loaded with veterans who've been through the grind.

Ville started the game up like 18-5, a lot of young teams would have folded in that situation, especially with how Louisville plays. Cal's done a great job this past month, but this years UK team seems to have more "basketball players" as opposed to "athletes"; they need Cauley-Stein back though.

Couldn't help but LOL at all the Kentucky and Uconn bashing on here this year. That was gold. I handed out my fair share of hate for both (uconn especially), but there's a difference between strongly disliking a team and actually thinking they suck or are irrelevant. Couldn't believe people here actually hoped to play either team.

I'm not shocked at all both are still playing.

That's borderline heresay to say around here. Prevailing opinion is that because he's cheated, nothing else matters.

I think it's pretty obvious that cheating and being an excellent coach are not mutually exclusive.

Yeah I hear ya. Not sure a lot of these coaches qualify as Father Flanagan types. Non-SU fans that watch JB in a presser after a loss don't come away all warm and fuzzy either.

Couldn't help but LOL at all the Kentucky and Uconn bashing on here this year. That was gold.

I'm not shocked at all both are still playing.

Have always loathed UConn and never understood why we should pull for them in past NCAAs but their fans must have the schadenfreude working OT right about now.

He is an amazing coach. One of the best college coaches of all time.

The guy can clearly coach. We are talking coaching people. To get those kids peaking like this is impressive. They are making basketball sound and saavy plays, something that often escapes SU teams.

Yeah I hear ya. Not sure a lot of these coaches qualify as Father Flanagan types. Non-SU fans that watch JB in a presser after a loss don't come away all warm and fuzzy either.

Pitino was super gracious in defeat. Boeheim?

He is an amazing coach. One of the best college coaches of all time.

He's had two FF's vacated (with UMass & Memphis) because of recruiting violations. Maybe that's only because he's gotten caught where others haven't, nevertheless in my mind it disbars him from such a lofty consideration.

He's had two FF's vacated (with UMass & Memphis) because of recruiting violations. Maybe that's only because he's gotten caught where others haven't, nevertheless in my mind it disbars him from such a lofty consideration.

I hear what you are saying, but I think Cal's in season coaching is underrated as well. The way he keeps the kids motivated and disciplined is pretty evident, especially this time of the year. The kids run back to the bench at timeouts, not moping back like some others do. And peaking at the right time of the year is really difficult and he seems to have figured out how to get there.

And people need to stop bringing up the Boeheim bashes here. Cal uses the media to put down his players more than JB does as far as I can tell.

Yeah that is fair. Who knows whether what he did is any worse than others but usually smoke=fire

I hear what you are saying, but I think Cal's in season coaching is underrated as well. The way he keeps the kids motivated and disciplined is pretty evident, especially this time of the year. The kids run back to the bench at timeouts, not moping back like some others do. And peaking at the right time of the year is really difficult and he seems to have figured out how to get there.

And people need to stop bringing up the Boeheim bashes here. Cal uses the media to put down his players more than JB does as far as I can tell.

Good post. On the floor and in season coaching is a completely different issue than recruiting. Why people can't realize that here is beyond me. I guarantee you no former Cal player or coach/ex-coach in the business now thinks Cal isn't a great coach, lol.

Character wise he is a complete slimeball. Ive posted before that I experienced it through the story of a family I helped through my job. As for his coaching I dont know. I would like to see what he does with a team of un heralded players vs having a bunch of blue chippers. Prep school coaches do well with talent as well. I dont respect him for the self absorbent fake human being that he is.

Last edited:

Carnegie, Ford, Rockefeller, et al are remembered as "Captains of Industry," revered for their great successes and the wonderful foundations they set up shortly before they passed from this world into the next. Some historians however refer to these as the "Guilty Consciences of the Robber Barons." The mere aggregation of great stores of capital doesn't make them great men. For if they were truly great, they'd have accomplished what they did without being such ruthless and unscrupulous businessmen.

But I appreciate your point about his successful management during games and in-season. Their refusal to melt last night after being down early certainly speaks to that. Did you also notice, btw, after a Louisville timeout coming down the stretch it appeared that Jones, after being spoken to by Pitino, rolled his eyes while returning to the court. Hopefully he was just checking the clock. What the TV shows is not always what really happened. :)

If Cal cheats but the NCAA doesn't actually enforce anything, is it actually cheating? It's pretty obvious just based off comments some players he's recruited have made that he's committing recruiting violations left and right but in the end, CBB is big business and he's running a successful company. Lots of successful businesses break rules, it only matters if they get caught and/or the rules are enforced.

I've never had a problem with calipari, in fact I kinda like him.

Wat. He's a basketball coach.

Dude has ruined lives and it goes far beyond being a hoops coach.

Deleted that last line for you. Dont want to upset too many of the cal supporters on here...

Last edited:
What were the recruiting violations?

Dude has ruined lives and it goes far beyond being a hoops coach.

Deleted that last line for you. Dont want to upset too many of the cal supporters on here...

Well your use of hyperbole and empty statements has certainly swayed me to your side.

As has your use of syracuse.com caliber "black and white" reasoning to label me a cal supporter.

What were the recruiting violations?

Eligibility issues with Marcus Cambyses and D Rose. I think there was some question as to how Rose got a qualifying score on the SAT, and Camby accepted gifts from agents.

Well your use of hyperbole and empty statements has certainly swayed me to your side.

As has your use of syracuse.com caliber "black and white" reasoning to label me a cal supporter.

You pick one sentence out to passive aggressively insult me and you expect a polite response? Look I posted about how he yanked a scholly and promises from a recruit and how it ruined a family's life a couple years back. So therefore these "empty" claims are actually a reference to an older post. Please feel free to complain about my so called hyperbole ( per your interpretation) on the support board. Dont let me ruin your board experience. And the cal supporters comment was tongue in cheek but fair enough ill retract that piece.

Last edited:
And for the record talent wise , outside of seeing him succeed without blue chippers galore I agree with most statements on here regarding his "coaching abilities" .

You pick one sentence out to passive aggressively insult me and you expect a polite response? Look I posted about how he yanked a scholly and promises from a recruit and how it ruined a family's life a couple years back. So therefore these "empty" claims are actually a reference to an older post. Please feel free to complain about my so called hyperbole ( per your interpretation) on the support board. Dont let me ruin your board experience. And the cal supporters comment was tongue in cheek but fair enough ill retract that piece.

U mad