Calipari... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Calipari...

Character wise he is a complete slimeball. Ive posted before that I experienced it through the story of a family I helped through my job. As for his coaching I dont know. I would like to see what he does with a team of un heralded players vs having a bunch of blue chippers. Prep school coaches do well with talent as well. I dont respect him for the self absorbent fake human being that he is.

Plenty of coaches have talent and don't win. Cal did major damage at UMass, not exactly a place that MIckey D AAs are drawn to. I think its even harder to win with entirely new teams every year, regardless of talent.

I think Coach Cal is kind of a slimeball and a cheater but don't think he's fundamentally a bad person. He bends the rules but so does everyone but it seems like his players and other people seem to really like the guy. The dude flat out wins and is a good march coach.

Plenty of coaches have talent and don't win. Cal did major damage at UMass, not exactly a place that MIckey D AAs are drawn to. I think its even harder to win with entirely new teams every year, regardless of talent.

He is a good coach. I think underrated is a relative term as most have him up there pretty high. Under rated by opposing fan bases.. probably. His tactics in recruiting and the higher talent level he is working with give him a bit of an advantage. That said to say he isnt a good coach as per how we measure talent in coaching is naive. Character wise ive made my bed.

Couldn't help but LOL at all the Kentucky and Uconn bashing on here this year. That was gold. I handed out my fair share of hate for both (uconn especially), but there's a difference between strongly disliking a team and actually thinking they suck or are irrelevant. Couldn't believe people here actually hoped to play either team.

I'm not shocked at all both are still playing.

Eh uconn isnt that good a team. Ollie has gotten a lot out of the talent. Im shocked omar calhoun has turned into a bit of a bust. He killed it in the mcd's game. Cuse needs to get more out of our talent.

He is a good coach. I think underrated is a relative term as most have him up there pretty high. Under rated by opposing fan bases.. probably. His tactics in recruiting and the higher talent level he is working with give him a bit of an advantage. That said to say he isnt a good coach as per how we measure talent in coaching is naive. Character wise ive made my bed.

My point is if you asked the typical CBB junky to name his or her top 5 CBB coaches I am not sure his name would show up in many of those lists. It should.

My point is if you asked the typical CBB junky to name his or her top 5 CBB coaches I am not sure his name would show up in many of those lists. It should.

Top 5 is tough. Depends on how much stock you put into tenure and sustained success. Pitino, K, JB, Roy, Donovan, Self all are ahead of him. After that his name should be there.

Top 5 is tough. Depends on how much stock you put into tenure and sustained success. Pitino, K, JB, Roy, Donovan, Self all are ahead of him. After that his name should be there.
He's made the elite 8 6 times out of the last 8 years and Sweet 16 7 of 8 while Self was bounced in the 1st weekend 5 times by a double digit seed since 03.

It still burns my ass that we lost Nerlen's...but I think Cal is a good coach.

He's made the elite 8 6 times out of the last 8 years and Sweet 16 7 of 8 while Self was bounced in the 1st weekend 5 times by a double digit seed since 03.

Kinda weird you changed sample sizes between the two.

Not a fan of how he uses kids and then throws them to the side for the next big thing. I don't trust a word that comes out of his mouth. Everything he says is calculated and and done in a way that promotes his ego. It's all an act for the cameras/recruits. If he could coach, he would have had success in the NBA and with last year's squad. He's more of a recruiter than a coach.

Steve Lappas could have won the NC with that Anthony Davis led team.

Not a fan of how he uses kids and then throws them to the side for the next big thing. I don't trust a word that comes out of his mouth. Everything he says is calculated and and done in a way that promotes his ego. It's all an act for the cameras/recruits. If he could coach, he would have had success in the NBA and with last year's squad. He's more of a recruiter than a coach.

Mike Montgomery and Rick Pitino called.

notice I included last years NIT team in my statement.

If he could coach, he would have had success in the NBA and with last year's squad.

This is a questionable post at best. Sometimes you get a bunch of primadonas like UK last year. They were overhyped to begin with and just wouldn't buy into team ball. He has coached his ass of this year and putting guys like Darius Miller in the past on the bench as glue guys as well as Poythress are smart moves. Any coach would tell you that Calipari can flat out coach and anyone who thinks otherwise is, well, insert JB's favorite phrase...

notice I included last years NIT team in my statement.

If he could coach, he would have had success in the NBA and with last year's squad.

So the fact that he washed out of the NBA (which all college coaches not named Larry Brown do) and he missed the tournament once (the only time in nine years, after an injury to his starting center) means he can't coach.

This is a questionable post at best. Sometimes you get a bunch of primadonas like UK last year. They were overhyped to begin with and just wouldn't buy into team ball. He has coached his ass of this year and putting guys like Darius Miller in the past on the bench as glue guys as well Poythress are smart move. Any coach would tell you that Calipari can flat out coach and anyone who thinks otherwise is, well, insert JB's favorite phrase...

Poythress is on the bench because Young, the Harrisons and Randle were not coming in to sit the bench. Same with Miller. Their positions were sold in order to get new recruits.
He is a salesman, not a coach

Lon Kreuger and PJ Carlesimo send their regards too. Strange benchmark to determine if a guy can coach.

Lon Kreuger and PJ Carlesimo send their regards too. Strange benchmark to determine if a guy can coach.

How many Final fours do they have vacated?

Poythress is on the bench because Young, the Harrisons and Randle were not coming in to sit the bench. Same with Miller. Their positions were sold in order to get new recruits.
He is a salesman who can coach

Wrong. He got them to stay and buy in. Miller was drafted and doing pretty well in the NBA. Poythress buys in and look what he did last night. He will get drafted, imo. I fixed your last sentence. It insults our intelligence, frankly.

Wrong. He got them to stay and buy in. Miller was drafted and doing pretty well in the NBA. Poythress buys in and look what he did last night. He will get drafted, imo. I fixed your last sentence. It insults our intelligence, frankly.

Poythress bought in? he was not good enough to make the leap and had no other choice but to sit the bench and hope he can improve enough

Funny you mention Self who pulled one out of his derriere against Cal or otherwise the NC count would be two for Cal and none for Self. Self is a very good coach but his resume isn't as good as Cal. JB has been remarkably consistent but I am not sure its that easy to slot him ahead of Cal. Donovan has the two NCs but its close. You left out Izzo who absolutely belongs in the top 5.