Calling the ACC a dumpster fire... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Calling the ACC a dumpster fire...

I rather enjoy seeing Syracuse at the top of the ACC standings.
The Big East is history and the ACC will return to prominence, I like it here.

I'm pretty sure the only time UNC finished 0-3 in the ACC, they made the Final Four. Still a lot of basketball to be played and they still hafe a good amount of talent. We lost 7 of our last 12 regular season games last year and ended up in the Final Four.

That was the 1996-97 season. To paraphrase Rick Pitino, "Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison aren't walking through that door."

This is the least excited I've been about an SU basketball season in a while. It's amazing what happens when all of our traditional rivals are elsewhere. I can't predict what is going to happen, but I highly doubt we'll ever replicate the mutual hatred that existed between us and G-town/UConn. Duke and UNC will always consider the other their rival, everything else is on the periphery for them. No one else is worthy of being our rival despite the ACC giving that title to BC. I'll acknowledge the idea of Louisville, but that still won't be the same.

Louisville's main rival will always be kentucky.

This is the least excited I've been about an SU basketball season in a while. It's amazing what happens when all of our traditional rivals are elsewhere. I can't predict what is going to happen, but I highly doubt we'll ever replicate the mutual hatred that existed between us and G-town/UConn. Duke and UNC will always consider the other their rival, everything else is on the periphery for them. No one else is worthy of being our rival despite the ACC giving that title to BC. I'll acknowledge the idea of Louisville, but that still won't be the same.
Looks like we will continue playing the Johnnies and the Vill from the OLD Big East. We still have Spitt x2 and the Leprechauns as well as Louisville starting next year. Frankly, Creighton, Butler and whoever else they brought in doesn't do it for me. Nor does that conglomeration of misfits they call the AAC, which is where we would be right now in place of UConn who would have jumped at our invitation to join the ACC after we turned it down to "stay" in the Big East. Maybe the B1G would have come calling us instead of Rutgers, but who really knows? My guess is we would die a slow death.

Looks like we will continue playing the Johnnies and the Vill from the OLD Big East. We still have Spitt x2 and the Leprechauns as well as Louisville starting next year. Frankly, Creighton, Butler and whoever else they brought in doesn't do it for me. Nor does that conglomeration of misfits they call the AAC, which is where we would be right now in place of UConn who would have jumped at our invitation to join the ACC after we turned it down to "stay" in the Big East. Maybe the B1G would have come calling us instead of Rutgers, but who really knows? My guess is we would die a slow death.
I don't mean to say that we had any other choice than to move to the ACC, it was the move to make. I'm just lamenting that it'll never be the same, and it's been hard to get excited for this season.

How many Big East teams are ranked this week?

Fair point. The BE has just 2 teams in the Top 25. Then again, nobody has more than 4. The ACC has 3.

The strength is pretty evenly divided this week, with 8 conferences having 2 or more teams.

There was a time when the Big East was pretty down, and at some point the ACC will return to prominence.

We used to have rivalries with Niagra, Colgate, and St Bonaventure.

There was a time when the Big East was pretty down, and at some point the ACC will return to prominence.

It's been down a LONG time now, nobody besides Duke and UNC has been worth a damn going on 10 years now. We might have to just settle for Duke and UNC returning to prominence as far as old guard ACC teams go.

It's been down a LONG time now, nobody besides Duke and UNC has been worth a damn going on 10 years now. We might have to just settle for Duke and UNC returning to prominence as far as old guard ACC teams go.

So was the Big East

It wasn't that long ago that the ACC sent six teams to the dance.

So was the Big East

It wasn't that long ago that the ACC sent six teams to the dance.
Wow 6 whole teams to the dance! SU left a league that sent 6 different programs to the Final 4 in the last 8 years.

Go back far enough and you can say that any league sucked, but I'm talking about now and relatively recent history.

Wow 6 whole teams to the dance! SU left a league that sent 6 different programs to the Final 4 in the last 8 years.

Go back far enough and you can say that any league sucked, but I'm talking about now and relatively recent history.

At no point did I say that the ACC was as good as the Big East was, and I would hope the league would put more teams in the final four, considering the BE had about a billion teams in it.

The Big East had a good decade when it was down, too. Then it got really good. The ACC sucks now. It's going to get a lot better.

At no point did I say that the ACC was as good as the Big East was, and I would hope the league would put more teams in the final four, considering the BE had about a billion teams in it.

The Big East had a good decade when it was down, too. Then it got really good. The ACC sucks now. It's going to get a lot better.
The 16 team Big East had exactly one more team than the current pile of dog---- known as the ACC has. Time will tell on what the future holds for the latter, though I would hope it will improve compared to where it's at.

2. The 2011 Big East was much better than other recent years in the Big East.

It makes no sense for you to use 2011 as the basis for "the way things were" in the Big East. Other years were great, but 2011 was a one off. Plus college basketball was really down in 2011 (I hear it here all the time when people discuss UConn's 2011 title)

Villanova and UConn made the Final Four in 2009. West Virginia made it in 2010. UConn won in 2011. Louisville went to the Final Four in 2012 and won it in 2013 . Syracuse also made it to Atlanta. That's two championships and seven Final Four appearances by five different conference members during the past five years.

If you add in the final regular season polls, the number of NCAA bids, top four seed selections, Final Four appearances, and championships, the Big East was not much better in 2011 than other recent years. It was not a one off. The Big East was much better than other conferences in recent years though.

Go Cuse!

Go Cuse as well.

The league has been great and the best for a sustained period (as per your facts) - that does not mean 2011 could not have been notably better than most years. 2011 was just special - "one-off" may have been the wrong descriptor used as I did not intend to say in other years we were not the best.

But just remember we are not debating the sustained greatness of the Big East. Its that the OP pasted the 2011 murderer's row of top 20 opponents as representative of our time here. And I didn't think it was really accurate.

Top 20 (Top 25) opponents in regular season since 2006

2006 - 6 (8)
2007 - 3 (4)
2008 - 4 (7)
2009 - 8 (8)
2010 - 4 (4)
2011 - 8 (9)
2012 - 3 (4)
2013 - 4 (7)

I focused on top 20, because that is where the top teams from 2011 were - they were not on the outskirts of the top 25. It wasn't just a run of good teams - it was a run of very good teams.

I did overlook the 2009 season which was great as welll with 3 #1 seeds.

It was a great time.

SIDE NOTE - It seems like Syracuse had had its best teams in "relatively" down periods. 2010 and 2012 were sandwiched by better years, and obviously 2014 is weaker than 2013. We were great either way in all these years, but it has probably been a contributing factor to only losing 2 regular season games in 2010, 1 game in 2012, and hopefully 2 or less in 2014.

Last edited:

We used to have rivalries with Niagra, Colgate, and St Bonaventure.
Were those rivalries featured in the national spotlight? Boston College has been assigned as our "rival". Will they ever be consistently good enough for us to care about? They weren't even when we were in the Big East together? Our best hope is probably Louisville, but will the schedule work out where it can develop?

Part of what made our rivalry with Georgetown great was that it helped establish a league. The ACC revolves around Duke-vs-UNC. We'll always play second fiddle to that.

Were those rivalries featured in the national spotlight? Boston College has been assigned as our "rival". Will they ever be consistently good enough for us to care about? They weren't even when we were in the Big East together? Our best hope is probably Louisville, but will the schedule work out where it can develop?

Part of what made our rivalry with Georgetown great was that it helped establish a league. The ACC revolves around Duke-vs-UNC. We'll always play second fiddle to that.

The SU Georgetown rivalry hasn't been great in years.

We will find new rivals, just like we did before we joined the Big East.

I don't know if we will play second fiddle. The league has had many solid (4/5/6) seeded teams the last 10 years outside of Duke/UNC, but nothing spectacular since Maryland and Wake Forest before that.

I guess my point is the league is probably really looking for a third major player as things have got dry. Its a good time for us to come in from that perspective. We are needed - it was probably better that we made the move now rather than in the mid 2000's.

i'm sorry but can someone please tell me attendance of the last georgetown dome game???? sellout???

The SU Georgetown rivalry hasn't been great in years.

We will find new rivals, just like we did before we joined the Big East.
I hope your right. Here are the obstacles we have to overcome to establish good rivalries:
1. Both teams have to be good often enough for the games to matter.
2. They have to play often, preferably twice per year.

The only consistently good teams in the ACC over the last decade or two have been Duke and UNC. They will never be our rival. No matter how much we grow to hate them or enjoy beating them, the feelings will never be mutual.

That probably leaves Pitt or Louisville as our best chance. We already dislike both. But despite both teams being arguably better than G-town recently, who drew bigger crowds to the Dome? Georgetown. Why? Because we still hated them more because of what had been established by numerous big games over time. Will the ACC, as it's constructed, allow for that same thing to happen naturally? Who knows? I tend to think not, because we won't be guaranteed to play them often enough. The only reason there are assigned "rivals" is so that they could find a way to allow Duke and UNC to play twice every year. That's the only established rivalry in the league, and it's the only one they care about.

I don't know if we will play second fiddle. The league has had many solid (4/5/6) seeded teams the last 10 years outside of Duke/UNC, but nothing spectacular since Maryland and Wake Forest before that.

I guess my point is the league is probably really looking for a third major player as things have got dry. Its a good time for us to come in from that perspective. We are needed - it was probably better that we made the move now rather than in the mid 2000's.
I'm not saying we won't be a player in the league. Can you honestly ever foresee a time where our game with any team aside from Duke or UNC will ever be hyped the way Duke-vs-UNC is. That's what I mean by second fiddle.

i'm sorry but can someone please tell me attendance of the last georgetown dome game???? sellout???

2013, SAT at 4:00 PM - 35013 and they were ranked #11 at the time
2012, WED at 7:00 PM - 27820 and they were ranked #12 at the time
2011, WED at 7:00 PM - 26904 and they were ranked #11 at the time
2010, MON at 7:00 PM - 26508 and they were ranked #7 at the time
2009, SAT at noon - 31841, not ranked

They are our rivals. Obviously we had to go to the ACC, but of the four teams we left behind - Georgetown, St. John's, Nova, and UConn, the Hoyas (after giving way to UConn for about a decade) finished strong as our main rival once again.

Heck, even Nova surpassed UConn as a secondary rival by the end of it.

Always will remember the 6OT game at the BET tourney, but really, most of the memorable moments against the Huskies were at MSG, not at the Dome or at their place.

Cheers,
Neil

I hope your right. Here are the obstacles we have to overcome to establish good rivalries:
1. Both teams have to be good often enough for the games to matter.
2. They have to play often, preferably twice per year.

The only consistently good teams in the ACC over the last decade or two have been Duke and UNC. They will never be our rival. No matter how much we grow to hate them or enjoy beating them, the feelings will never be mutual.

That probably leaves Pitt or Louisville as our best chance. We already dislike both. But despite both teams being arguably better than G-town recently, who drew bigger crowds to the Dome? Georgetown. Why? Because we still hated them more because of what had been established by numerous big games over time. Will the ACC, as it's constructed, allow for that same thing to happen naturally? Who knows? I tend to think not, because we won't be guaranteed to play them often enough. The only reason there are assigned "rivals" is so that they could find a way to allow Duke and UNC to play twice every year. That's the only established rivalry in the league, and it's the only one they care about.

I believe our "permanent partners" are BC and Pitt. While Pitt's permanent partners are us and Louisville.

Will be interesting to see if Pitt - Louisville becomes more of rivalry than us with either of them. Time will tell.

Still hope to see the Hoyas sign on for the long-term series OOC while playing Nova and St. John's on a semi-regular basis as well.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom