Calling the ACC a dumpster fire... | Syracusefan.com

Calling the ACC a dumpster fire...

zibby

Starter
would be an insult to dumpster fires.

It's pretty clear we'll never see anything like this again.

realconference_zps18a21d0b.png

It's going to take the ACC 3 or 4 years to return to prominence. At least they have Pitt, SU and Lville pulling the weight during that time period.

6 out of 9 games against ranked teams, 5 of those ranked 16 or better. Jeez.

I've missed the Big East even before we left, it's a power basketball conference and every year was a slug fest. I want us to go undefeated every year, but a loss here and there and close games every once in awhile make it more enjoyable. :). I'm sure we'll lose a game here or there this year, but for the first time ever I don't look at the schedule and get even a little nervous. Duke at Cameron a little, but even that I'd be more afraid of Uconn at Uconn in previous years.

this is a perfect storm type of thing- with a sick acc and su just plain sick -its good for us

I don't miss the Big East grinder games, though. Painful to watch. I do miss the coaches we used to face, better overall caliber than ACC.

If I recall correctly, the year that we lost to G'town, the 8 seed (I think), in the BET they had an RPI of 25...yes 25 RPI. How many conference tourney 8 seeds could even come close to an RPI like that. The Big East was such a great hoops conference...Thanks for the great memories....

I told all my ACC buds here in NC early on that we were going to show them a phase of the game that they hadn't seen before - something called "defense". They all laughed at me, but I could see the fear in their eyes, because they knew I was on to something.

I'm still looking forward to getting into the tourney without half our team beat up.

Does the Arinze injury happen if we're in the acc that year? Does brandon triche walk around in obvious back pain last season without 4 years of big east thuggery wearing him down? Perhaps or perhaps not but we should be fresh this year heading into the first round of the tourney.

1. 2014 Big East (if it had existed) would look craptastic against the 2011 Big East.

2. The 2011 Big East was much better than other recent years in the Big East.

It makes no sense for you to use 2011 as the basis for "the way things were" in the Big East. Other years were great, but 2011 was a one off. Plus college basketball was really down in 2011 (I hear it here all the time when people discuss UConn's 2011 title)

The other thing in 2011 is how the conference crapped the bed in the NCAA tourney ... even if one its own won the tourney. The usual suspects who typically messed up in the tourney (Georgetown, Pitt and Notre Dame) crapped the bed again, taking much of the allure off the 2011 regular season.

2. The 2011 Big East was much better than other recent years in the Big East.

It makes no sense for you to use 2011 as the basis for "the way things were" in the Big East. Other years were great, but 2011 was a one off. Plus college basketball was really down in 2011 (I hear it here all the time when people discuss UConn's 2011 title)

Villanova and UConn made the Final Four in 2009. West Virginia made it in 2010. UConn won in 2011. Louisville went to the Final Four in 2012 and won it in 2013 . Syracuse also made it to Atlanta. That's two championships and seven Final Four appearances by five different conference members during the past five years.

If you add in the final regular season polls, the number of NCAA bids, top four seed selections, Final Four appearances, and championships, the Big East was not much better in 2011 than other recent years. It was not a one off. The Big East was much better than other conferences in recent years though.

Go Cuse!

Right now Syracuse, Pitt, and Duke are the only teams from the ACC looking like they get in the tournament. I know Lunardi has North Carolina, Virginia, Florida St, but North Carolina has 3 bad losses already, and Virginia has looked terrible at times.

Why can't we see something else like that again?

sorry but preseason reading the predictions i was under the impression that the ACC schedule was gonna be a foul plagued high scoring track meet. not what i'm seeing at all. but a 3-0 start helps ease my worries.

Why can't we see something else like that again?
because we left a basketball conference in order to join a football conference. Money talks

because we left a basketball conference in order to join a football conference. Money talks
You're characterizing the ACC as a football conference?

Right now Syracuse, Pitt, and Duke are the only teams from the ACC looking like they get in the tournament. I know Lunardi has North Carolina, Virginia, Florida St, but North Carolina has 3 bad losses already, and Virginia has looked terrible at times.

There has to be one winner in every ACC game. Some teams are going to put together a decent resume with 10 or more ACC wins. Just remember that the resumes for bubble teams in the 68 team field has been underwhelming. A decent OOC win with 10 wins in the mediocre ACC with no ridiculous losses may be enough.

UNC has the big OOC win factor going for them - MSU, Louisville, Kentucky - its quite possible by tourney time those are the best group of OOC wins by any team. That's a huge positive for their resume. It should be enough to sustain an 8-10 ACC record.

I am going to guess 6 is the end game... 5 if breaks dont go the conference way.

Every year Syracuse was on the bubble, a top 5 Duke or UNC would lose to an ACC bubble team to ensure said bubble teams admission to the dance. Now that Duke and UNC suck this year, how are ACC bubble teams going to get over the hump?

Every year Syracuse was on the bubble, a top 5 Duke or UNC would lose to an ACC bubble team to ensure said bubble teams admission to the dance. Now that Duke and UNC suck this year, how are ACC bubble teams going to get over the hump?

Seth Greenberg disagrees... actually it has worked for most other ACC teams, but it always failed for V Tech.

With regards to your point - If we stay top 3 those bubble teams and their fans will be jacked when we come to town.

How many Big East teams are ranked this week?

Seth Greenberg disagrees... actually it has worked for most other ACC teams, but it always failed for V Tech.

With regards to your point - If we stay top 3 those bubble teams and their fans will be jacked when we come to town.

Because they would follow their Duke victory with a horrific loss the very next game.

There has to be one winner in every ACC game. Some teams are going to put together a decent resume with 10 or more ACC wins. Just remember that the resumes for bubble teams in the 68 team field has been underwhelming. A decent OOC win with 10 wins in the mediocre ACC with no ridiculous losses may be enough.

UNC has the big OOC win factor going for them - MSU, Louisville, Kentucky - its quite possible by tourney time those are the best group of OOC wins by any team. That's a huge positive for their resume. It should be enough to sustain an 8-10 ACC record.

I am going to guess 6 is the end game... 5 if breaks dont go the conference way.

I'm pretty sure the only time UNC finished 0-3 in the ACC, they made the Final Four. Still a lot of basketball to be played and they still hafe a good amount of talent. We lost 7 of our last 12 regular season games last year and ended up in the Final Four.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom