Class of 2020 - Camden Hay (NY: Victor) Attack / Flipped to UAlbany | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Camden Hay (NY: Victor) Attack / Flipped to UAlbany

Not really no. it's a cutthroat game. Why should only the coaches be able to play it. If our coaches aren't doing their due diligence to make sure a kid is truly interested than that's on them. I certainly wouldn't let my kid do that (and there is always some context missing in stories like that) but we never seem to hear the other side.

Is it ok for XYZ school to call, text and invite for a visit a recruit and blow smoke up his arse while under false pretenses as you call it never really being interested in the kid. Said kid may be turning down offers from other schools.

I get it, as a fan it is no fun watching a kid (or 5) decommit and maybe some did take advantage of the staff but there are always 2 sides to a story.

Not really no. it's a cutthroat game. Why should only the coaches be able to play it. If our coaches aren't doing their due diligence to make sure a kid is truly interested than that's on them. I certainly wouldn't let my kid do that (and there is always some context missing in stories like that) but we never seem to hear the other side.

Is it ok for XYZ school to call, text and invite for a visit a recruit and blow smoke up his arse while under false pretenses as you call it never really being interested in the kid. Said kid may be turning down offers from other schools.

I get it, as a fan it is no fun watching a kid (or 5) decommit and maybe some did take advantage of the staff but there are always 2 sides to a story.

honest question -- can you provide an example of Syracuse lacrosse coaches doing this?

also, your analogy is imperfect. a recruit can ask, do I have a spot or not? we are talking about when a player commits and then backs out. you need to compare apples with apples. I HIGHLY doubt Syracuse "blows smoke" up recruits arses without being interested. that would be a COMPLETE waste of time and run afoul of all common sense.

when has a committed Syracuse lacrosse recruit's scholarship been pulled post commitment, other than for behavioral reasons?

Last edited:
So let men get this straight , you have no problem with a kid and family that are recruited by an IVY not knowing if his SAT tutoring pays off committing to a Syracuse under false pretenses holding up a spot knowing full well he has no plans to go there if his grades eventually pass enough muster? Good Lord .

Lot more respect for that list of IVY recruits who commit to the 'admissions process" than the ones who play a game of deception. I can tell you that many wouldn't get a sniff of a IVY if not for lax but play it straight

This will likely become standing operating procedure as youth participation continues to outpace the expansion of the college game.

"So let me get this straight , you have no problem with a kid and family that are recruited by SYRACUSE committing to a (insert name of lesser lacrosse or academic institution here) under false pretenses holding up a spot knowing full well he has no plans to go there if a spot opens up at SU?"

Not saying the SU staff would resort to these tactics but things have changed insanely fast in the past 5 years.

Travel/club lacrosse has become identical to hockey. Tryouts for the next year immediately following the current season's end to lock in the roster (i.e. cash flow) now. A fall/winter tourney or two with some camps/clinics. Spring through summer practices, tourneys, etc.

The primary difference is college hockey has Juniors to help sort the prospect pecking order and give players another option. There are no other options for lacrosse and parents investing $$$ in their son's travel career will certainly do whatever they see fit to maximize that return.

Not saying I agree with this approach. I just think it's inevitable.

honest question -- can you provide an example of Syracuse lacrosse coaches doing this?

also, your analogy is imperfect. a recruit can ask, do I have a spot or not? we are talking about when a player commits and then backs out. you need to compare apples with apples. I HIGHLY doubt Syracuse "blows smoke" up recruits arses without being interested. that would be a COMPLETE waste of time and run afoul of all common sense.

when has a committed Syracuse lacrosse recruit's scholarship been pulled post commitment, other than for behavioral reasons?

I have no inside info on SU coaches behavior but do you really think SU just recruits the 15 kids they have at the top of their board? Coaches have kids ranked and they may tell a kid they love him but he's in their second tier and they land the kids in their first tier than said second tier kid isn't getting money from SU. This could happen over the course of many months. SU may be that kids dream school so he hangs on hoping an offer comes. Again no specific info but this is standard recruiting practice.

My point is I have a hard time being pissed at a 17 yo kid playing the game and decommitting to land a scholie at a preferred school when coaches would gladly take money or not offer at all after stringing a kid along to land a perceived better recruit.

Different than a family scheming with another coach to commit with false intent to another program/coach with concrete plans to decommit if their grades gain admission at a later point. If true, it is dishonorable and hard to defend.

Different than a family scheming with another coach to commit with false intent to another program/coach with concrete plans to decommit if their grades gain admission at a later point. If true, it is dishonorable and hard to defend.
Fair enough

His line mate Joey Pezzimenti has also flipped from Ohio State to UAlbany today!

This kid is no longer on UAlbany’s roster. Anyone know what happened? I remember he tore his ACL. Shame, he was a big time recruit