Class of 2020 - Camden Hay (NY: Victor) Attack / Flipped to UAlbany | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Camden Hay (NY: Victor) Attack / Flipped to UAlbany

Chase is not a college AA, maybe someday.

Point being made is that while Victor has been a local powerhouse in recent years and some from those successful teams are on college teams, I dont see a position player who was a top 100 or making much of a mark in college game at least not yet . 18's were Cain Loyola, Pizzementi Canisus, Babbitt JHU and Russell Michigan. Latter saw a little time at ssdm but others saw hardly at all..

Staff can be questioned on decommits but seems the best two position players of recent from Victor were Trimboli and Hay who were recruited. Made this mention before but appears upstate is not producing AA or large pool of top tier talent like Maryland, LI, PA, NJ, Conn , Westchester.
Cuse should always keep in contact with locals but also have to extend their tentacles, unfortunately school seems at a disadvantage dealing with the preps but good at least to see the IMG connection.
Also watch out for the younger pezzimenti-the few times I saw him this spring he’s looked outstanding (maybe one of, if not the best player in Upstate this year). As far as college projections go I’m not sure where he’s at, but I’d love to see him in orange personally

Chase Scanlan, Nick Mellen, Jared Connors, TD Ierlan are all Upstate (Unless you want to debate about Western NY vs. Upstate). Maybe those other two he mentions are too but I don't know off the top of my head.

I have said before that I don't think we have the same depth of talent as a other areas, but our top talent still stacks up with the rest of the nation. I agree with you partially about the large pool of talent not stacking up, but to say we dont produce AAs is just plain false.

"Other are

Not upstate NY

regardless. the fact that 12 are from NY shows that NY is still king.

They dont need to spend time finding diamonds in the ruff. go where the talent is. been saying it for years but Desko should've added a downstate/LI guy.

I dont have the time to go through the list but Mellen is obviously from WGenny, JT Giles is from Nyack, Gray is from Wading River, Spilane is from Franklin Square, NY, OKeefe is from Syosett, Tigh is from Garden City. The last 4 are LI, I'd frankly make a point to get a LI native on my staff, similar to JB and Troy Weaver.

Last edited:
Glad you already knew the answer to your question regarding Victor collegiate AAs. ;)

They graduated another AGR POY this year - an AA defenseman going to PSU next year. The younger Pezzimenti is going to tOSU next year and they have another 2020 kid committed to Albany (not Hay).

It's a strong program less than 1.5 hours away from campus and while none of these kids may win a Tewaaraton they add quality depth.

I agree with increasing the push for top tier talent from PA, LI, MD, etc. I see Victor as the only rising program in Upstate while Section III has fallen off.
Also agree w you on this one-victor is definitely a program that we want to build a pipeline out of. No other upstate program has put out as many D1 guys in the last 5 years. The Gennys, Pittsfords, Niskys, and JDs are always gonna have at least 1-2 top end guys (usually) but in upstate, only Victor as of late has produced a good # of D1 guys per yr (3+)

Also agree w you on this one-victor is definitely a program that we want to build a pipeline out of. No other upstate program has put out as many D1 guys in the last 5 years. The Gennys, Pittsfords, Niskys, and JDs are always gonna have at least 1-2 top end guys (usually) but in upstate, only Victor as of late has produced a good # of D1 guys per yr (3+)

They have a massive youth program. Their run of state titles was pretty easy to see coming from 7-10 years ago based on the sheer size and inertia.

Pittsford is more FM than WG/JD for me. They have an elite player every year but they're not as deep as Victor (or WG and JD traditionally have been).

Edit - Pittsford should have more depth given they pool players from two high schools (Sutherland and Mendon enrollment is around 900-1,000 each). Victor has around 1,300 enrollment.

They dont need to spend time finding diamonds in the ruff. go where the talent is. been saying it for years but Desko should've added a downstate/LI guy.

I dont have the time to go through the list but Mellen is obviously from WGenny, JT Giles is from Nyack, Gray is from Wading River, Spilane is from Franklin Square, NY, OKeefe is from Syosett, Tigh is from Garden City. The last 4 are LI, I'd frankly make a point to get a LI native on my staff, similar to JB and Troy Weaver.

I agree. It's great the game is expanding in places like Texas, Georgia, Florida, etc.

I think the program's recruiting focus lost a little steam in the traditional areas (LI, MD in particular) while mining kids from out west and down south.

I'd also like to see us build up better LI and suburban Philly connections. It'll be easier to pluck kids from newer (non-traditional) regions when we're back winning the Orange Invitational!

Chase Scanlan, Nick Mellen, Jared Connors, TD Ierlan are all Upstate (Unless you want to debate about Western NY vs. Upstate). Maybe those other two he mentions are too but I don't know off the top of my head.
Mellen and Scanlan are on our team, Im asking about other local creams that Cuse missed out on as sometimes infer .Who else? Knew and mentioned Ierlan but forgot Conners of Pittsford. I do not consider upstate-cny a hotbed nor Victor a plentiful source of high end talent like some powerhouse teams that other programs draw on. Can go up and down our roster , we have had plenty of NY names on this team

They have a massive youth program. Their run of state titles was pretty easy to see coming from 7-10 years ago based on the sheer size and inertia.

Pittsford is more FM than WG/JD for me. They have an elite player every year but they're not as deep as Victor (or WG and JD traditionally have been).
Absolutely, no doubt CNY isn’t a top 3 hotbed like it once was. But to say we should back off Upstate guys goes against what made this program special. I don’t think it’s that Upstate doesn’t produce as good of talent, I just think we haven’t done an outstanding job of finding the BEST upstate guys. I mean you go down a recent list of Upstate talent and wow...
Nick Mellen
Ben Reeves
Chase Ierlan
TD
Ty Shoults
Jared Conners
Trimboli
Scanlan
Willard
Joe Fletcher/Donahues/Rice/Thompson’s and im sure I’m missing a ton.
Obviously it’s unrealistic to say we get all these guys but I think if we can do a better job of securing local talent then that would solve a lot of our problems. I’d expect that everyone except maybe 2 of those guys will end up finishing as all Americans at some point if they haven’t already, and it’s not a reach to say that a lot of these current local guys we’re missing won’t become All Americans (Hay Pezzimenti Endres Hackler Staudt Wirtheim Piseno ect)

Mellen and Scanlan are on our team, Im asking about other local creams that Cuse missed out on as sometimes infer .Who else? Knew and mentioned Ierlan but forgot Conners of Pittsford. I do not consider upstate-cny a hotbed nor Victor a plentiful source of high end talent like some powerhouse teams that other programs draw on. Can go up and down our roster , we have had plenty of NY names on this team
Agreed we have plenty, just wish we could pick and choose a little better is all

Edit - Pittsford should have more depth given they pool players from two high schools (Sutherland and Mendon enrollment is around 900-1,000 each). Victor has around 1,300 enrollment.
Victor
Agreed we have plenty, just wish we could pick and choose a little better is all
look at bios of locals in past few years , seems most were pick of litter

It's a big hit for Syracuse. However, I urge everyone to be sensitive to Camden and the family.

Most of us know the story of his father getting hit head on by a tractor trailer. Ryan Maloney the Cornell attackman recently paralyzed is cousins with Camden as well and is from the same small Victor town. The family is also dealing with another freak accident that may be worse than the other two.

Cost of Albany with the financial package offered as opposed to the 70k at Syracuse is certainly a factor. You add in his brother during this difficult time and it's a great fit.

What's concerning is our staff. Scott Marr or a staff member texted him or called regularly after games. This was a very different story from Syracuse. I won't get into specifics but they got the impression they didn't even know who he was. Some of the interactions were down right insulting. The individuals on this board come across as more knowledgeable of our recruits than the staff.

Scott Marr and Albany has done a wonderful job with Tanner. They have invested in him personally and the family could not be more impressed.

I hope everyone supports Camden and the decision, because the family was very concerned about the blow back for doing what was right for them.

There is a LOT in this post.

Personal reasons and family ties weigh heavily.

Compounded with potential issues surrounding key SU people "not knowing who he was" - which sounds odd and mind-boggling.
Understandable and good luck to Hay.

The staff not being in contact with these recruits does not make sense. I hope Wildhack is aware of this issue.

Is Marr pulling a d bag move by staying in contact with a recruit committed to Syracuse?

Why is it a d’bag move? Especially when his brother goes there?

Clearly something we need to do more of.

You're right-- for some reason I thought he was a Midfielder but either way he was late on slides or helped when not needed that cost us many goals. He sat out last year, and could have improved over that time so we will see. After seeing Aviles dominate in that tournament on ESPN against highly ranked recruits, he should be seeing the field sooner rather than later-- before decommits and goes elsewhere by having to sit out 2 years to even see the field. He's talented enough to play M or SSDM next year, wherever coaching staff thinks he's needed.
I was looking forward to seeing if Dami would improve last season, but he was obviously ineligible. I think it's a very tough position for freshmen straight out of high school, and both Dami and Murphy were paired up quite a bit. You can be more offense-minded in high school, but as a college ssdm end up guarding a former high school attackman playing middie in college. Teams look to exploit the ssdm matchup of course. It's important to get a player up to speed with the college game and familiar with the team's defensive concept; for that reason I really think you need upperclassmen who can learn from mistakes and grow into that ssdm position.

LI is still a hotbed with many top squads, within reasonable proximity downstate, Conn and NJ all have good pools

LI is actually closer to Maryland and Penn State then it is to Syracuse.

LI is actually closer to Maryland and Penn State then it is to Syracuse.
Geez Ex, that info is most depressing , now that I think of it even the most northern part of new jersey is shorter or the same to those schools and travel time from much of Conn is not that much longer. Im a bit disoriented right now realizing that Cuse does not have the geographical advantage that I thought. Damn

Geez Ex, that info is most depressing , now that I think of it even the most northern part of new jersey is shorter or the same to those schools and travel time from much of Conn is not that much longer. Im a bit disoriented right now realizing that Cuse does not have the geographical advantage that I thought. Damn

Took me 5hrs from Rochester to Fairfield CT a few weekends ago. While in Fairfield CT, it took us 2hrs to go to Asbury Park, NJ by car driving through part of Manhattan.

Not terrible but could have been more complimentary toward syracuse. Classy and easy thing to do would be to say, “love cuse and appreciate the opportunity but at end of the day, want to play with my brother.” Instead, he infers not so great things about syracuse, which indicates a lack of maturity. That isnt surprising considering his age.

Brutally written article, the author keeps jumping around and you feel like your missing a piece of the article or something, It's all over the freeking place.

Hays comments make no sense either. "They recruit a lot of guys", no xxxx sherlock what are we supposed to do stop recruiting attackmen. That would have worked out great with him decommiting 4 months before signing day. This whole article felt like he was searching for a reason to decomitt, none of his answers beyond his brother made sense.

Not terrible but could have been more complimentary toward syracuse. Classy and easy thing to do would be to say, “love cuse and appreciate the opportunity but at end of the day, want to play with my brother.” Instead, he infers not so great things about syracuse, which indicates a lack of maturity. That isnt surprising considering his age.

Nothing he said sounded immature. Perfectly fine in my opinion.

Some schools over recruit and that’s what those comments sounded like to me and I’m fine with that. If is a concern it’s smart of him really. just recently had a discussion about a D2 school down south because they over recruit; bring in a lot of kids. Hay has nothing to worry about in those regards but it’s a reality if you want to play.

And not fitting in with the team. Scanlan just said the same thing about Loyola and nobody cared.

Last edited:
Syracuse offered him 1/2 a scholarship, and Albany made a similar offer. 50% off $25k is still better than 50% off 70k.

He clearly just wanted to play with his brother, the rest of this stuff is nonsense save for maybe SUs lack of keeping in touch. That seems to be an issue that needs to be looked into by the staff and Wildhack.

Some schools over recruit and that’s what those comments sounded like to me and I’m fine with that. If is a concern it’s smart of him really. I just recently told a parent to be careful with a D2 school down south because they over recruit; bring in a lot of kids. Hay has nothing to worry about in those regards but it’s a reality if you want to play.

And not fitting in with the team. Scanlan just said the same thing about Loyola and nobody cared.

Scanlan played a year at Loyola, Hay hasnt even started his Sr year of HSyet. How could he possibly know about fitting in with the team.

Some schools over recruit and that’s what those comments sounded like to me and I’m fine with that. If is a concern it’s smart of him really. I just recently told a parent to be careful with a D2 school down south because they over recruit; bring in a lot of kids. Hay has nothing to worry about in those regards but it’s a reality if you want to play.

My point is he has an easy out without being negative about syracuse.

Scanlan played a year at Loyola, Hay hasnt even started his Sr year of HSyet. How could he possibly know about fitting in with the team.

Conversations with people, being around the locker room, interactions with coaches and players. Not that hard really to see if you’ll fit in or not.