Can we all agree making the tournament at large is the bare minimum expectation this season | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Can we all agree making the tournament at large is the bare minimum expectation this season

We need Texas or Tennessee as wins to get into the tourney. Both would be lock city but one I think we have to get.

Yes, and those intersectional games seemed to have gained too much sway (in my opinion) on how entire conferences are ranked against each other, as if playing good team in your own league is discounted.

I haven't understood the ACC being called the 5th, 6th or 7th best conference these past few years, when we keep getting Sweet 16 and Final Four teams.

Yes, and those intersectional games seemed to have gained too much sway (in my opinion) on how entire conferences are ranked against each other, as if playing good team in your own league is discounted.

I haven't understood the ACC being called the 5th, 6th or 7th best conference these past few years, when we keep getting Sweet 16 and Final Four teams.
There were 16 teams in the conference. Sure the ACC had strong teams at the top who did well in the NCAA. but I think the drop off after that was steeper than it was in other conferences. Like saying Arnold Schwarzenegger and I combined to bench 600 lbs so "we" are really strong,

Hard to argue. If you’re another fanbase there isn’t much on this roster that scares you.
I have to admit I'm not really feeling it with this team either. Freeman is highly rated but you just never know with a freshman and I'm just not sure about Carlos stepping up to the Power 4 level. Starling needs to be more consistent and Bell needs a more well-rounded game. Obviously hope I'm wrong, but I can see where Gary gets that ranking, especially since all of our questions haven't been answered positively in recent years.

I have to admit I'm not really feeling it with this team either. Freeman is highly rated but you just never know with a freshman and I'm just not sure about Carlos stepping up to the Power 4 level. Starling needs to be more consistent and Bell needs a more well-rounded game. Obviously hope I'm wrong, but I can see where Gary gets that ranking, especially since all of our questions haven't been answered positively in recent years.
I think this is a year that we are definitely hoping for the whole to be greater than the sum of its parts. It seems like that is what the staff is all in on.

I think this is a year that we are definitely hoping for the whole to be greater than the sum of its parts. It seems like that is what the staff is all in on.
Also need that elusive thing that most teams hope for but few achieve of most of the "ifs" turning out positively - i.e., "if this player can develop into... if this other player is actually healthy..." Our success hinges largely upon ifs - here's to hoping!

Also need that elusive thing that most teams hope for but few achieve of most of the "ifs" turning out positively - i.e., "if this player can develop into... if this other player is actually healthy..." Our success hinges largely upon ifs - here's to hoping!
You summed up what I was trying to say better than I did. There are a lot of questions we are hoping to be answered positively this year.

You summed up what I was trying to say better than I did. There are a lot of questions we are hoping to be answered positively this year.
Yep. And I'd point out further that several other ACC teams that guys like Parrish are rating above us also have these questions to answer - I'd venture to say the only team that on paper is sure-fire as you can get preseason is dook and NC to a lesser extent - and then you can extend that to every other conference too...

need to get into the tourney for Red to remain firmly entrenched as the guy. Another no tourney season and this could unravel even more so than it has.

MASSIVE season this year.

He'll be back for year 3. He'll win 20+ games again this season, and is recruiting at a much higher level than Boeheim did his last several years. You bring in back-to-back Mickey Dee's (Freeman and like Saddiq White), and that's very good. We will do better in the portal with better NIL support.

I’m not worried. We’ll make the tournament. Experience/age, incremental improvement from the returnees, year 2 for Red along with better chemistry (hopefully) will get us there.
I'm in on guys that can share the ball (Carlos, Westry, Starling, Lampkin) and three good shooters in Moore, Taylor, and Bell.

I think people will be shocked at how good Jyare Davis is as a key bench guy.

I have no expectations until we actually see the team play. I dont know how people can be so certain without seeing anything.

I have no expectations until we actually see the team play. I dont know how people can be so certain without seeing anything.
We've had 3 guys that have played at this level before and none of them have been that much better than average. Brought in a bunch a lower conference above average guys. I expect average and have no expectations because I really don't know what to make of it. Fingers crossed, glad guys smarter than me are in charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom