Can We Get ND? | Syracusefan.com

Can We Get ND?

We aren't going to get either. Sadly, this is the same talk we have been having during our stay in the Big East.

In today's longshot of the week, this guy is suggesting that if we can get ND, and add PSU, then you have something to pitch to FSU and Clemson as reasons to stay. ND in and of itself would add huge value to any new media contract.

The world is worse off for this guy having written this column. There is nothing of substance in it. It's the journalistic equivalent of "cotton candy"

Why in gods name would Penn State choose to leave the B1G where they 1) make a boatload more money and 2) are associated with one of the "Final 4" conferences?

Why would ND choose the ACC if they can go to the B1G and 1) make a boatload more money and 2) become associated with one of the "Final 4" conferences?

While I may have once considered these moves, I've finally convinced myself that even considering either of these schools for potential ACC membership is pure madness.

The Domers don't need to go anywhere right now. As long as they don't need to go anywhere they will not.

If the day comes that the only way ND can get to the NC game is through a conference they will choose between the B1G and the ACC. If the Big 12 destroys the ACC the B1G wins the Notre Dame Competition by default. Notre Dame will never voluntarily associate with the likes of WVU, Kansas State and Texas Tech.

The ACC's best shot at getting ND IMO is by taking them for all but FB for now. Having a chance of ND one day joining will keep FSU around even if that chance is slim. I would kill off the BE now and add UConn, RU, ND (non FB), and Nova (non FB). I don't like the hybrid model but if you have to do it to keep FSU around then you need to suck it up and do it. Also the reason it did not work in the BE was because there was an even voting split, some BBall schools were leaches, and PC had waaaay too much power. That wouldn't happen in the ACC if 2 of 18 schools are BBall onlies. They will have no voting power. I would also tell Nova to go join the MAC and if they can prove themselves, then the ACC will consider them if/when ND comes in 10 years.

In today's longshot of the week, this guy is suggesting that if we can get ND, and add PSU, then you have something to pitch to FSU and Clemson as reasons to stay. ND in and of itself would add huge value to any new media contract.

No.

ND reported $69M just from football last year. As long as they have access to the NC tourney, they can have their cake and eat it too.

The Big 12 rumor is all ND sports except football but with four football games including Texas on T-G. ACC really does need to bend its rules a bit and take ND sports and 3 or 4 football games. May be only way to survive insofar as football is concerned.

can somebody, anyone, even some shlub at a grocery checkout tabloid...give me a good article about why ND to the ACC could happen...and NOT put penn st as a reason.

:bang:

If you'd asked me before the SEC/B12 announcement, I would have said the ACC was a frontrunner as a landingspot for ND...with the B1G being a not so distant second. But that announcement cut the legs from under the ACC. Now, I see the B1G as the only true selection for ND.

...take a deep breath. Now tell me what the change is with the SEC/Big 12 announcement. Appears to be roughly the same as previous years and bowls. It isnt different as the championship game isnt going to be played in that AGREED to bowl. I believe there is still time for the ACC to grab the golden fleese...the golden dome...the ND..even without ND we are not dead yet. The ACC salvo is coming from what I hear (more in two days).

...take a deep breath. Now tell me what the change is with the SEC/Big 12 announcement. Appears to be roughly the same as previous years and bowls. It isnt different as the championship game isnt going to be played in that AGREED to bowl. I believe there is still time for the ACC to grab the golden fleese...the golden dome...the ND..even without ND we are not dead yet. The ACC salvo is coming from what I hear (more in two days).

Speaking of nothing changing, how does the ACC attract ND?

If they indeed make $69M as was stated above --- what does teh ACC offer them? Ownership of the Outer Banks?

I think the Big East should look into adding Penn State. And then use that to try to lure ND into the football side.

A truly funny post. One of the best ever.

Just wry enough. Not so over-the-top that the gullible would catch on.

Perfect response might be something like, "Of course. Why didn't I think of something like that?" ("So you are tellin me there's a chance?")

Give them and PSU 1.5 -2 shares.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

That actually is how they would have to do it, although I'm not sure about the number of shares it would take. There would be a hell of an internal fight over that one.

When Miami was in the process of leaving the Big East, an enhanced share of the pie was offered.

If you'd asked me before the SEC/B12 announcement, I would have said the ACC was a frontrunner as a landingspot for ND...with the B1G being a not so distant second. But that announcement cut the legs from under the ACC. Now, I see the B1G as the only true selection for ND.

Not sure I get why ND would go anywhere as they may well be watching the deterioration of conferences all together. Seriously, how long are bloated, far flung conferences going to last? Does that realistically seem like a sustainable long-term model? Every other business in the world is looking to cut travel costs and every TV outlet is looking to capture key niche audiences and demographics. Yet college athletics is looking to increase travel costs substantially and appeal to some massive demographic?

I swear this will eventually end with smaller, regional conferences.

Not sure I get why ND would go anywhere as they may well be watching the deterioration of conferences all together. Seriously, how long are bloated, far flung conferences going to last? Does that realistically seem like a sustainable long-term model? Every other business in the world is looking to cut travel costs and every TV outlet is looking to capture key niche audiences and demographics. Yet college athletics is looking to increase travel costs substantially and appeal to some massive demographic?

Like the ACC...eastern seaboard...

You mean the NNBE isn't the model that all other conferences are striving to emulate??

Hard to even imagine what an ACC salvo might look like.

Hasn't the ACC leadership heard? According to the "dude" of WV, it's a done deal.

Hard to even imagine what an ACC salvo might look like.

Hasn't the ACC leadership heard? According to the "dude" of WV, it's a done deal.

They also now have ND joining for all sports but football for a few years and then full membership after that. Oh Lord

There isn't a single institution in that league that they have played double digits in football during the regular season. The most contests have been against Texas which totals 10 thanks to three Cotton Bowl post-season games. And they are going to exchange trips to NYC, DC, Philly, Providence, even future trips to Houston or Dallas or Memphis for Lubbick? Ames? Manhattan KS? and Stillwater?

How much moonshine does it take to believe this?

Cheers,
Neil

They also now have ND joining for all sports but football for a few years and then full membership after that. Oh Lord

There isn't a single institution in that league that they have played double digits in football during the regular season. The most contests have been against Texas which totals 10 thanks to three Cotton Bowl post-season games. And they are going to exchange trips to NYC, DC, Philly, Providence, even future trips to Houston or Dallas or Memphis for Lubbick? Ames? Manhattan KS? and Stillwater?

How much moonshine does it take to believe this?

Cheers,
Neil

Classic.

No.

ND reported $69M just from football last year. As long as they have access to the NC tourney, they can have their cake and eat it too.

Well, that's the big question. Are we getting to the point where ND is not going to be able to play for the NC? Clearly ND doesn't think so.

Classic.

Thanks. Btw, it's not as though the ACC is a lot better in this regard (number of times ND has played them in football) but one only has to look at the Coastal Division to see an "ND" pattern (assuming BC becomes their cross-over rival)

BC - 21 times
GT - 34 times
Miami - 24 times
UNC - 18 times
Pitt - 67 times

Still don't see ND moving until the 4-team playoff format is settled in June. Anything less than champions only, they will hang onto indy for as long as they can.

Cheers,
Neil

Still don't see ND moving until the 4-team playoff format is settled in June. Anything less than champions only, they will hang onto indy for as long as they can.

Cheers,
Neil

Yup. With the landscape changing so quickly, why wouldn't they wait to see if it goes in their favor?